Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Big 12 will be somewhere behind SEC and BIG, but not by much, and way ahead of PAC and ACC. That is completely reasonable, in my view.

Not mine.  If the SEC and B1G are poaching 40%+ of the top Texas talent, I'm out because that is where we are headed.  Texas football will have failed.  You better hope that Texas steps up its bagman game.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

32 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's kind of my point.  The Big 12 is a long ways ahead of the Pac 12, but no one really thinks the Pac 12 is going to die.  I'm guessing USC message boards don't have threads about joining other conferences.  Like the idea isn't even on their radar.

A big issue for the Big 12 is that through all of it's history (and going back to the Big 8 days) there have been schools that have held this inherent belief that they were "above" the rest of the schools in the league, and would be better off by leaving.  That simply isn't in the DNA of the blue blood schools in the Pac 12 and ACC.

Literally searched “pac 12 revenue usc” and got a whole page full of results including an article about USC looking at independence.  Searched similar for Arizona, Oregon and Washington and found more articles.  I think you are out of touch.  The PAC12 is in trouble and if they don’t get a big contract this next round those schools will be prepared to make some changes in order to partner with Texas and Oklahoma.

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Big 12 will be somewhere behind SEC and BIG, but not by much, and way ahead of PAC and ACC. That is completely reasonable, in my view.

The ACCN is going to have the ACC passing the Big 12 soon.

Also the ACC is more stable because they have expansion options (ND, UConn, WVU, Cincy, and even UCF) even if they lose a team or two and no team in the ACC has as much power as Texas/Oklahoma, or USC/UCLA so if they leave the rest of the conference will survive.  The Big 12 can’t claim that.

56 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's kind of my point.  The Big 12 is a long ways ahead of the Pac 12, but no one really thinks the Pac 12 is going to die.  I'm guessing USC message boards don't have threads about joining other conferences.  Like the idea isn't even on their radar.

A big issue for the Big 12 is that through all of it's history (and going back to the Big 8 days) there have been schools that have held this inherent belief that they were "above" the rest of the schools in the league, and would be better off by leaving.  That simply isn't in the DNA of the blue blood schools in the Pac 12 and ACC.

What options do the Pac 12 schools have?  They have a geographical barrier, plus most of the schools have tighter history together.  As mentioned, the only two conferences worth moving to are the SEC and Big 10 and no one from the Pac 12 is going to the SEC.  The old Big 8 was also pretty tight, but shortly before the Big 12 was formed, some of the cohesiveness was lost.  It became clear that the Big 8 needed to do something in the early 1990s to survive.  Up until that time, the conference was very stable.  Before the Big 12 was formed, there were rumors of NU, MU and KU going to the Big 10.  At that time, Colorado started flirting with the Pac 10.  

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I spoke about this decades ago when I noted that there would be a play off setup exactly like it is today and still firmly believe that it will occur.

There will be 4 power conferences. Quick and most logical guess is PAC, SEC, ACC and B1G.

All the dead weight no money teams get thrown in the trash.

Texas goes SEC and Dome finally relents and goes ACC.

8 team play off. 4 conference champs and 4 selected from the 4 power 4 conferences.

I agree.  The beauty of the position of B12 schools is that each will land in a Power 4 conference except one school.  Prolly, Baylor or TCU.  They are not state schools.

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I spoke about this decades ago when I noted that there would be a play off setup exactly like it is today and still firmly believe that it will occur.

There will be 4 power conferences. Quick and most logical guess is PAC, SEC, ACC and B1G.

8 team play off. 4 conference champs and 4 selected from the 4 power 4 conferences.

If we're throwing out the dead weight (fuck you rapelor) personal preference is joining with the stronger pac teams

15 minutes ago, Houtexjhawk said:

What options do the Pac 12 schools have?  They have a geographical barrier, plus most of the schools have tighter history together.  As mentioned, the only two conferences worth moving to are the SEC and Big 10 and no one from the Pac 12 is going to the SEC.  The old Big 8 was also pretty tight, but shortly before the Big 12 was formed, some of the cohesiveness was lost.  It became clear that the Big 8 needed to do something in the early 1990s to survive.  Up until that time, the conference was very stable.  Before the Big 12 was formed, there were rumors of NU, MU and KU going to the Big 10.  At that time, Colorado started flirting with the Pac 10.  

The Big8 might have seemed internally stable, but it suffered from the same problem that doomed the SWC, except without the large Texas markets, it was in even worse shape.  I hope you're not one of those B8 fans that thinks you "saved" the Texas schools? The Big8 was doomed and the ONLY reason the member schools that might have had options DIDN'T leave, is because the Texas schools agreed to form a new conference with them.  It was salvation for ALL of us, but it was a shotgun wedding with too many inherent flaws to survive for long.

Really a shame too, because I grew to really like the B12 in its original incarnation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd say that's not quite true. As a fan of two PAC schools, I can guarantee you that many PAC fans feel the PAC may be ultimately doomed, and wonder aloud how to possibly fix it. The only thing that makes the PAC a bit more "safe" in the minds of many is it's geographical isolation.

42 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

at this point, I would strongly be in favor of an NBA-style sort of geographic split-- force all the SEC teams plus Clemson to go into one pool. It's entirely artificial and unfair but if we don't manage some geographic diversity in the playoffs, people outside the SEC footprint are going to tune the playoffs out. The NFL's ratings are surging and CFB's are declining. 

2 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

The only reason Disney ponied up was because of Texas' relationship with Disney. 

Fox is making their power play with OU to pry us away.  Disney just upped the ante with it's deal with the SEC.  

#1 - Texas gained LHN due to Disney (& a lesser extent, FOX, along with conference ACC), feared a 16 member mega-conference PAC...

Jul 22, 2019 - Larry Scott was sitting in an Oklahoma City airport lounge, waiting to board a plane. He was in the midst of a tour of multiple Big 12 campuses when he glanced at the television and saw a breaking news report.

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott is in Oklahoma City as we speak, on his way to pitch multiple Big 12 schools in person on the prospect of forming the Pac-16.

#2 - Oklahoma is in no way tied to FOX, the 3rd tier was bought out by Disney, who then had to sell off to complete the $71 billion FOX buyout...

May 3, 2019 - Share All sharing options for: Disney sells off Fox's regional sports networks to Sinclair for $10 billion. Sinclair is buying 21 regional sports networks from Disney in a $10 billion deal that marks the final major detail of Disney's massive Fox purchase, according to The Wall Street Journal.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

So there will be 4 power conferences, in a list that doesn't include the SEC, yet Texas will go SEC. And you didn't mistakenly type ACC instead of SEC, because you then clearly say ND goes ACC. 

Got it. 

Not mine.  If the SEC and B1G are poaching 40%+ of the top Texas talent, I'm out because that is where we are headed.  Texas football will have failed.  You better hope that Texas steps up its bagman game.

If they are poaching top Texas talent from us, it's because UT is running a dumpster fire, not because of belonging to any conference.

If we win, everything else will take care of itself.

Stop sounding like aggy wallowing around in their "IT'S NOT US, IT'S OUR CONFERENCE, IT'S THAT FUCKING BIG 12 CONFERENCE THAT'S THE REASON WE KEEP LOSING AND BEING MID-TIER!!!  WE'LL GO TO THE SEC AND SHOW EVERYBODY HOW WE ARE A TOP TIER TEAM AND WE WILL IMMEDIATELY COMPETE FOR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!"

Aggy and Nebraska both blamed their conference, and surprise, surprise, they are still mid-tier teams wallowing in mediocrity, just with a different conference.

Don't be like those fans.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If they are poaching top Texas talent from us, it's because UT is running a dumpster fire, not because of belonging to any conference.

If we win, everything else will take care of itself.

Stop sounding like aggy wallowing around in their "IT'S NOT US, IT'S OUR CONFERENCE, IT'S THAT FUCKING BIG 12 CONFERENCE THAT'S THE REASON WE KEEP LOSING AND BEING MID-TIER!!!  WE'LL GO TO THE SEC AND SHOW EVERYBODY HOW WE ARE A TOP TIER TEAM AND WE WILL IMMEDIATELY COMPETE FOR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!"

Aggy and Nebraska both blamed their conference, and surprise, surprise, they are still mid-tier teams wallowing in mediocrity, just with a different conference.

Don't be like those fans.

It's not about the conference, it's about the money.  The other conferences have more of it and are buying Texas players.  Winning might move a few players but the majority of the REALLY good ones are going out of state.  If watching Bama, LSU, and tOSU doesn't make you sick, then you don't have a pulse.  Which conferences are they in and how much do they earn?  They are paying and we aren't, at least enough.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

What? Did you read my post? SEC, ACC, Pac and B1G were the exact conferences i said would be left. I fucking confused by your post.

Ignore me, because I am far too tired, and apparently, far too stupid today. Apologies good sir. I don't even have an excuse. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

As an outside observer I see a lack of commitment by your AD to football excellence.  UT is a historic blue blooded brand.  They are now, they were while they were in the SWC, and I presume before that...

The Big 12 will suffice as a supporting conference for UT.  OU's trips to the playoff prove that.

UT doesn't have the best coaches they could / should have.  By adding Chris Ash you'll now have three former ISU coaches on your staff (Herman, Ash, McKnight) at critical positions none of whom we miss.  CDC needs to make a statement hire.  If that's Urban or Saban or fucking Bill Belichick he needs to do it.  Are we really supposed to believe that Alabama and tOSU are destinations above UT???  The richest AD in America should have a top 3 head coach minimum.  You don't.

Also, UT and OU need to pressure the conference brass to go to eight conference games thereby opening up dates for UT & OU to schedule up (or down).

We need to hire Saban or Meyer?  We need to go to a 8 game conference schedule?

Making a note of you as being a source of absolutely shitty sports opinions.

It's not about the conference, it's about the money.  The other conferences have more of it and are buying Texas players.  Winning might move a few players but the majority of the REALLY good ones are going out of state.  If watching Bama, LSU, and tOSU doesn't make you sick, then you don't have a pulse.  Which conferences are they in and how much do they earn?  They are paying and we aren't, at least enough.

I give no fucks about what Bama, LSU, and Ohio State do.

If we'd start winning consistently again, everything takes care of itself.

Stop defining yourself by what other programs do.  We're not fucking aggy for fucks sake.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Since inception of CFP:

XII has 0 CFP titles...
PAC has 0 CFP titles...

B1G has 1 CFP title...

ACC & SEC have won all others, and are both playing for another this season... Who is the main backer of 3rd tier content..? Disney...
Disney has XII 3rd tier rights of..? Texas/Texas Tech/TCU/Baylor/Oklahoma State/Kansas/Kansas State/Iowa State/West Virginia...
One school is still missing, one school could be on the market at to 3rd tier rights in 2022, Oklahoma (currently signed with Sinclair)...

How could Disney entice USC to look at increasing overall media revenue from $31 million per year & increase revenues for OU & UT..?

9 hours ago, 'stache said:

Big 12 CCG drew good ratings, right where you would expect, below SEC and BIG, and above PAC and ACC. I'm still not seeing why you think we're in any more danger than the PAC and ACC. It's clear SEC and BIG will continue to be the strongest conferences financially, but Big 12 is clearly 3rd. Prestige is still there too, OU keeps making the playoff, and UT is still considered a blueblood despite struggling on the field. Baylor, TCU, OKST, KSU, WVU all get plenty of respect when they are playing well. ISU has gotten respect in their recent surge. People still remember that even KU won an Orange Bowl in 2009 and Les will draw attention. The conference is fine as is. I still think in concept a CCG rematch is stupid, but it draws ratings and money, so it is what it is.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Agreed.

8 hours ago, LTbear said:

Even while separating myself from my fan allegiance (Colorado, Baylor, Cal) for the sake of the discussion, I really hope the B1G and SEC don't add more teams. I know it's old-fashioned now, but damn college football was more fun when it was more regional. 

A 16 team conference? Give me a break. As is, SEC teams in separate divisions will complete a home and home with each other once a fucking decade. That's ridiculous.

10 or 12, max, is just right for a conference. 

I'd like to see the Big and SEC convince the ACC members they would be better off split.  Then the east could be 4 ten to twelve team conferences instead of 14, 14 and 15.  There would be a BTN group with 2 conferences, a Southeast group with 2 conferences and a western group with 2 ten to twelve team conferences, the Pac 12 and Big 12.

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The ACCN is going to have the ACC passing the Big 12 soon.

Also the ACC is more stable because they have expansion options (ND, UConn, WVU, Cincy, and even UCF) even if they lose a team or two and no team in the ACC has as much power as Texas/Oklahoma, or USC/UCLA so if they leave the rest of the conference will survive.  The Big 12 can’t claim that.

The ACC is just barely ahead of the American Conference in football strength this year in all the computers.  The Big 12 was #1 prior to the bowls.  With the tough matchups, that probably won't last.  But the Big 12 was way ahead of the Pac and ACC.

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Since inception of CFP:

XII has 0 CFP titles...
PAC has 0 CFP titles...

B1G has 1 CFP title...

ACC & SEC have won all others, and are both playing for another this season... Who is the main backer of 3rd tier content..? Disney...
Disney has XII 3rd tier rights of..? Texas/Texas Tech/TCU/Baylor/Oklahoma State/Kansas/Kansas State/Iowa State/West Virginia...
One school is still missing, one school could be on the market at to 3rd tier rights in 2022, Oklahoma (currently signed with Sinclair)...

How could Disney entice USC to look at increasing overall media revenue from $31 million per year & increase revenues for OU & UT..?

Very aggy of you.

There have been 17 CFP games.

Alabama has won 6.

Clemson has won 6.

Ohio St. has won 2.

Oregon, LSU and Georgia each have a win.

The SEC, Big 10 and ACC don't have any wins.  Its really been dominated by Alabama and Clemson who have 12 of the 14 wins since the first year.

4 minutes ago, bullet said:

Very aggy of you.

There have been 17 CFP games.

Alabama has won 6.

Clemson has won 6.

Ohio St. has won 2.

Oregon, LSU and Georgia each have a win.

The SEC, Big 10 and ACC don't have any wins.  Its really been dominated by Alabama and Clemson who have 12 of the 14 wins since the first year.

There are only 6 years of CFP title games, as in vying for the "national championship"... ACC & SEC have won all but 1 so far, & this year is Clemson/ LSU...

On 12/31/2019 at 3:42 PM, utee94 said:

The Big8 might have seemed internally stable, but it suffered from the same problem that doomed the SWC, except without the large Texas markets, it was in even worse shape.  I hope you're not one of those B8 fans that thinks you "saved" the Texas schools? The Big8 was doomed and the ONLY reason the member schools that might have had options DIDN'T leave, is because the Texas schools agreed to form a new conference with them.  It was salvation for ALL of us, but it was a shotgun wedding with too many inherent flaws to survive for long.

Really a shame too, because I grew to really like the B12 in its original incarnation.

No.  I never thought the Big 12 saved the SWC.  The Big 8 was getting into an increasingly perilous position, so the formation of the Big 12 made sense and I liked the make up except for including Baylor.  

• Like 1

For all that's claimed of what's wrong with XII, OU & UT earn about $20 million more per year right now, vs USC media revenue...

Jun 13, 2018 - Payouts to each school won't even reach $38 million in payouts per school ... until 2023, according to budget documents recently provided by Pac-12 ... the $40 million payout mark already or is projected to get there in a year ...

Things get even worse for blue blood brand USC when noticing the projected increase dur to Alabama with SEC/ ESPN 1st teir deal...

Edited by kopp0e

On 12/27/2019 at 11:41 AM, TKthunder2 said:

You take the 4 California and 4 Texas/Oklahoma public universities and that probably good enough to secure a CFP bids/bowls from both the PAC12 and/or Big 12 (does the SEC want Baylor in the Sugar or B1G want Utah in the Rose?).  Colorado (with no instate/in conference ties) jumps in because they get both California and Texas exposure which is great for them.  So now you have 9 teams.  Offer Arizona, Oregon and Washington publicly but make it clear that Utah, Kansas and TCU are under consideration.  The in state. public pressure to be in a Power 4 league will beat out local politics.  No one wants to see every university in the state be down graded to a lesser conference so while these states may try to get in both teams ultimately it won’t work.  This new conference could say pat with 9 teams for a while if they had to but the leftovers will either try to merge or add within their footprint but the TV money just won’t be there without California, UT/OU.

Here’s your best of the rest conference (and that’s assuming the B1G or SEC doesn’t grab Kansas or ACC doesn’t grab West Virginia.)

Washington, WSU, Oregon, OrSU, Arizona, ASU, Utah (+maybe Boise St or BYU)

Baylor, TCU, Kansas, K State, Iowa St, West Virginia (+maybe Houston, Memphis, Cincy)

out of the leftover Big 12 school the biggest games was K State v Miss St (OOC) at 1.7m and the biggest conference game was Iowa St v West Virginia at 1.57m.

The leftover PAC12 assuming the 3 pairs of schools united together has some power but still not enough for them to get a major TV contract as they’ve already proven with California and Colorado in tow.  The only way these states will be able to stay in the game is for their flagship schools to join the California schools in the new conference because the SEC’s possible new deal is going to be the measuring stick all conferences will be reviewed against going forward and the PAC12 is the worst off of the Power 5.

If they stand pat the PAC12/Big12 might get a pity bid but it doesn’t take a genius to see that this will turn out similar to the Big East in the early 2000’s and eventually they’ll be left out like the current AAC.

Utah adds very little to the equation and considering that ESPN could roll in their current contract with BYU who is the most readily available of the major programs to join and its obvious.  

On 12/28/2019 at 9:10 AM, kopp0e said:

On the 1st sentence:

Either a 16 team alignment or 18 team alignment would be used, in 16, 60% of current XII remains/ in 18, 80% of current XII remains...
Add to this, an old XII in league rival would be reunited with the expanding XII (Colorado), so either 7 or 9 current & former rivals stay...
Iowa State/ Kansas/ Kansas State*/ Oklahoma/ Oklahoma State/ Texas/ Texas Tech/ TCU*/ Colorado/ Utah/ Arizona/ Arizona State/
UCLA/ USC/ California/ Stanford/ Oregon/ Washington all remain within the same league, coverig 106 million residents (* not in 16 team model)...

But I agree, realignment sucks & I would hate to see the day Oklahoma & Texas are in seperate mega conferences, that strains ability of annual game in Dallas...

On the 2nd paragraph:

I agree, if I myself had a choice, things would not be much different, than a few changes from when XII formed...

If XII had used a model to drop a few duplicate markets, maybe things would have been different from the stert...
As some may not know, Oklahoma was in talks to join SWC before talk of forming XII began (after Arkansas exit)...

What XII (maybe) should have done is "keep" old Big8 brands & added prime SWC institutions, just before Arkansas exit:

Iowa State/ AAU brand, loyal fan following
Nebraska/ AAU brand, historic football & biggest foe of Oklahoma
Missouri/ AAU brand, brings markets Kansas City & St. Louis
Kansas/ AAU brand, solid basketball tradition
Colorado/ AAU brand, brings the market of Denver
Oklahoma/ well known historic football brand
Oklahoma State/ umm, well the in-state rival of OU
Arkansas/ a regional power & biggest in conference rival of Texas
Texas/ AAU brand, historic football & flagship brand in the entire state
Texas A&M/ AAU brand, umm, well the in-state rival of UT
Texas Tech/ largest in state school in western half of state, in-state foe of UT

A few teams that could have been added (for #12), in an era lacking outragious media revenues that constrict what teams can be added:

BYU/ ironically, XII was in talks to join XII before Baylor was somehow strong armed into league
Utah/ flagship of the state, (has now become an AAU brand since joining PAC) could be taken with or w/o BYU
New Mexico/ some may not be aware, XII had looked to add the Lobos, originally copyrighted the names #Big12/ #Big14 & #Big16
TCU or Houston, Rice/ left out of the merger, Horned Frogs decent in state brand-Cougars can be valuable in nation's 4th largest city-Owls AAU brand in Houston

BYU is still the flagship university in the state, especially academically.  

1 hour ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

Utah adds very little to the equation and considering that ESPN could roll in their current contract with BYU who is the most readily available of the major programs to join and its obvious.  

BYU is still the flagship university in the state, especially academically.  

Nov 8, 2019 - AAU requires its member institutions to be engaged at the highest levels of research, scholarship and education, she said.

BYU isn't AAU as far as I know, but Utah recently gained admission within the ranks of schools high in research as UCLA/ Arizona/ Colorado/ Kansas/ Texas, ect. ...

On 1/5/2020 at 9:06 PM, kopp0e said:

BYU isn't AAU as far as I know, but Utah recently gained admission within the ranks of schools high in research as UCLA/ Arizona/ Colorado/ Kansas/ Texas, ect. ...

The top companies, the top firms, the top graduate school programs and internship programs recruit BYU before they recruit Utah.  Utah is a commuter school, that will admit most applicants.  BYU's law, business and finance/accounting programs are top tier above Utah's.    Its like comparing Texas AM to Rice or Stanford.  

BYU draws not only the brightest in that state but also some of the brightest students from around the country.  

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

OU is going to blow this conference up. Football and all that goes with it is their main priority. 

What that will mean for us I’m not sure. However, I’m fairly certain it’s going to be a shitshow. This program is marred by regional factions that simply don’t get along. The only real hope is that we have an AD that starts to lay multi year groundwork that gets most of the squabbling out of the way, but frankly I’m not convinced CDC is that guy like everyone else who is gargling his balls. 

3 hours ago, Caddox said:

OU is going to blow this conference up. Football and all that goes with it is their main priority. 

What that will mean for us I’m not sure. However, I’m fairly certain it’s going to be a shitshow. This program is marred by regional factions that simply don’t get along. The only real hope is that we have an AD that starts to lay multi year groundwork that gets most of the squabbling out of the way, but frankly I’m not convinced CDC is that guy like everyone else who is gargling his balls. 

Texas will be alright no matter what.. Wonder if a guy like John Skipper would throw a hail mary and offer Texas a NBC like deal to go independent on DAZN.

This probably true.  The lack of institutional control at Baylor is legendary.  I had a typo above.  I meant to say KU and ISU to the B1G.  So to summarize: (Follow the money)

SEC East
Florida , South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vandy, Bama, Auburn, Jawja
SEC West
Piggy, gomer, OU, Misery, LSU, Texas, Ole Miss, Miss St (This just radiates hard bare knuckle football)
B1G East
Rutgers, Maryland, Pedo, tOSU, Michigan, Indiana, Mich St, Northwestern
B1G West
Iowa, Iowa St, Illinois, Whisky, Minnesota, Purdue, Nebraska, Kansas
Pac West
Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Az St., TCU, Texas Tech, Ok St, Kansas St
Pac East
USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, Wash, Wash St.
ACC Atlantic
Domer, Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Wake, NC State, Clemson, Florida St
ACC Coastal
Pitt, WVU, Virginia, V Tech, Duke, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Miami

Baylor gets kicked to the curb.  Who cares where they go.

In no world is the PAC taking four subpar academic institutions that are second tier athletically, academically, and in terms of brand/alum reach in their own states, let alone nationally. That'd do nothing for them in terms of national relevance while watering down the academic/cultural brand that they do seem to value. Especially with one having the added private religious school angle. If Texas and OU wanted to go west I'm sure they'd get to bring some partners, but those four aren't getting picked up on their own.

Also, from what I understand about the admin at the Oklahoma schools, they aren't separating.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Going independent is a non-starter.  Creating a new league without a TV contract is a non-starter.  The fiscal hit taken by going independent without a NBC TV deal would be catastrophic.  It won't happen.  We aren't getting a TV deal like Notre Dame because we aren't Catholic.  At this point, we have 5 options.

1.  Stay in the Big 12 and add no teams.  This is a loser in the long run.  The Big 12's next TV deal will not be as good as the B1G deal with Fox or the SEC with Disney.  The Big 12 will slowly die on the vine.  TV deals will be progressively worse over time.
2.  Stay in the Big 12 and add G5 teams/Az schools.  This is a loser in the long run.  The G5 schools are not profitable outside of TV money.  The G5's need to be subsidized in down years.  They do not generate enough revenue.  They would drop the payout per team in the B12 because they don't command enough TV money.
3. Move to PAC 12.  This is not palatable due to the TIME ZONE changes.  It could be remedied by combining an eastern division with AZ schools, CU and Utah.  The biggest drawback would be that the Pac just sucks.  They don't generate enough TV revenue.  They are not football States.  The one thing that could save this option, would be for Apple or Amazon to break the piggy bank and grossly overpay for a league with Texas and OU added.
4. Move to the B1G.  Fenves actually stated that this was his preference.  Financially it is a viable choice due to the Fox deal but the closest competitor would be OU and next would be over 800 miles away in the frozen tundra of the north.  This is not a good decision because we would be in the B1G West where the football stinks.  It would not be attractive to fans to watch the conference opener against Illinois in early October.  Blah
5.  Move to the SEC.  This is the best option.  As stated above, we regain all of our historical rivals and then some.  Our current LHN contract is with Disney.  The SEC just hit the jackpot with it's current disney contract.  They are a natural fit.  We belong in a league with gomer, piggy, and blo u.  They are who we want to play every year.  They are our natural rivals.
What are the obstacles to joining the SEC?
    1.  Belmont Hall has a stick up it's ass when it comes to academics and the SEC.  The PC idiots who run our school think that we can have a PC University and make PC decisions when competing with Schools who run their athletic programs like a business.  We need to reject the PC politics and get down to running a business.  Dodds was excellent at bringing in revenue but was not good at making good football coaching hires. 
   2.  Our current teams in the SEC would regularly be middle of the pack or near last place.  Let's face it.  We are soft.  The money has made us soft.  We don't demand excellence in our athletic department.  Our fans demand it but the admins don't.  In many ways, we are like the Dallas Cowboys.  A move to the SEC would remove the ease of the Big 12 and force some changes which would be demanded by the fan base and BMD's.

Personally, I think Texas choses option 1.  We are lazy and it's the path of least resistance.  If OU does the same, we will slowly become irrelevant in college sports, especially football.  So it's up to OU to save us.  Please OU, have some balls and kill this conference.
The liberal use of the term "PC" despite it not really making sense in context and proclaiming Texas is too soft for the mighty SEC reads like it's straight from texags.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

secrant topic:

Texas fans (everyone else can chime in too)Posted on 1/10/20 at 3:44 pm
uArw.png2dArw.png2
bkm1.png
Would you want to be in the SEC? Personally I'd love it.

Texas/Arkansas
Texas/LSU
Texas/A&M

Every year this would be amazing. Hell even Texas/Ole Miss and of course Bama/Auburn. Then again if we ever go to 16 teams I'm sure we'd also go to 9 games in conference and I think if Texas was added without any changes to the West it'd be too stacked.

PAC 16 is our future.

Texoma pod

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

Oklahoma State

Mountain West pod

Colorado

Arizona

Utah

Arizona State

California pod

USC

Stanford

UCLA

Cal

Northwest pod

Washington

Oregon

Washington State

Oregon State

9 regular season conference matchups in a 3+2+2+2 configuration.

The pod champions play in a 4 team playoff to determine the conference champion.

Of course the SEC, Big 10, and ACC would all need to also go to a 16 team conference with four, 4 team pods with the same conference champion playoff to make it work.

Then the four conference champions would of course have the 4 team playoff to determine the National Championship.

With 3 OCC games, 9 conference matchups, and the maximum of 4 playoff games you're still only looking at 16 games in a season which I believe is reasonable.

I believe this would be an ideal setup, and be freaking awesome!

• Like 1

I am not sure how attractive joining a Pac16 is anymore, now that the Pac 12 seems to have fallen way behind every other major conference in revenue.  Selfishly, as an east coast resident, I would prefer joining the ACC or the Big Ten if there is a way to do it without being the lone outlier (e.g., brining OU with us).  It's sad for the Pac 12 that I get every conference network (and the LHN) and three regional fox sports channels, and I still don't have access to the Pac 12 Network.