She Hulk - Disney+ series

mdmost

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

They're being pretty true to the original comic, her having a milder version of the Hulk than Banner IS her origin story. Lol no idea why there's such grievance about this show

You can’t imagine why? AT ALL?

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

They're being pretty true to the original comic, her having a milder version of the Hulk than Banner IS her origin story. Lol no idea why there's such grievance about this show

Yeah, the things people are bitching about were present in the She-Hulk comics in the 1980s when I was a kid.  They are sticking closer to the original comic run than most of their other shows/movies.  

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Disney continues to beat the men-suck-women-rule drum

Case in point. This show is literally the She-Hulk comic book series from the 1980s.  What’s probably throwing you off is that the 1980s comic books had her retain her lawyer persona, her intelligence, her sarcastic sense of humor, etc. while in Hulk form, and she frequently broke the fourth wall in the comics, while you were expecting her to go through the split-personality phase that Hulk did where he was dumb and in full Hulk Smash mode.

I take that back, I think in one of the What If comics, she did have the split-personality thing, or maybe it was some baddie put her in that mode in her comics, but it was not for long.

TLDR: She’s a lawyer who gets the Hulk form without losing her personality or superiority complex that some lawyers have. She is exactly what a lot of lawyers would act like if they got super powers like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

To me, it's become a trope. Not every female character just has to immediately be the best at everything because it's a man's world. Doesn't give a lot of room for growth. At least with characters like Wanda, Kate Bishop or Kamala, they had flaws and had to learn tough lessons that helped their characters grow. It's early in the show but I think it's a valid criticism. 

image.gif.86b18e87cd60697ef6e59d9741866a32.gif

30 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

but also so cheesy it was kinda fun. It’s campy in that way,

Welcome to the comic book version of She-Hulk.  Within the comic book, she would literally bitch about Marvel, bitch about the artists, bitch about the writers, bitch about the readers, and she would talk about the literal fourth wall.  She would even threaten readers.

shehulk_sensational1-scaled.jpg

she-hulk-fourth-wall-display.jpg

she-hulk-tears-fourth-wall.jpg

she-hulk-fourth-wall.jpg

shehulk-yells-at-johnbyrne.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Ok, I think I see what the problem is.  On one hand, as you correctly point out, this series appears to be the way it is because that’s how one would make a faithful adaptation of the She-Hulk comic book series from the 1980s, an example of which you posted.

But, on the other hand, I think detractors of the show would probably argue that the show’s main problem is the fact that it is a faithful adaptation of that She-Hulk comic book series from the 1980s which you posted.

Exactly. Just because it’s canon doesn’t mean it should be revived. It’s clearly not golden era of comics and even old school comic books had misses and bad characters and attempts. 

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

No complaints here about the cheese or the camp or the fourth wall breaking. Deadpool was a blast and did all those things first.

In the movies/TV shows, yes, but She-Hulk was doing it first in the comics.  Deadpool actually started out a fairly serious character.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

When can I get Dinosaurs for Hire made into a series?

I’d like a full-blown Damage Control, done in the vein of The Office or What We Do in the Shadows.  Mockumentary, dry.   We’ve got glimpses of it in the Spidey movies and Ms. Marvel,  but it comes across as more of a SHIELD-lite than the original comics, where a construction company has to clean up superhero battles, etc.

I know NBC had a Powerless series 5 or so years ago that was basically it, but I guess it didn’t last long, and it wasn’t Marvel.

23 hours ago, mdmost said:

To me, it's become a trope. Not every female character just has to immediately be the best at everything because it's a man's world. Doesn't give a lot of room for growth. At least with characters like Wanda, Kate Bishop or Kamala, they had flaws and had to learn tough lessons that helped their characters grow. It's early in the show but I think it's a valid criticism. 

Complains about every female character being the best at everything.  Immediately names multiple female characters who weren't immediately the best at everything.  Don't beat around the bush.  If you don't like seeing a woman being better than a man at something, just say it.  

giphy.gif

No, I don't have an issue with a woman being better than a man. I have an issue with Marvel seeming to make so many female characters immediately the best at everything. As I said, doesn't leave a lot of room for character growth. But thanks for the psychoanalysis. 

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

giphy.gif

No, I don't have an issue with a woman being better than a man. I have an issue with Marvel seeming to make so many female characters immediately the best at everything. As I said, doesn't leave a lot of room for character growth. But thanks for the psychoanalysis. 

I’ve read enough of your posts that I don’t believe that is what you’re saying. However, who in Marvel (not Disney) fits that description?  There’s a limited list of females

BW - badass from the beginning but had a different arc

Wanda - arc

cap marvel - arc (even if it was short)

kate - arc

ksmala - arc

Yelena - similar to BW, different kind of arc

gamora and her sister - we didn’t see arc other than as a child for gamorra, but theyre on par with everyone else in GotG

Valkyrie- we saw an arc of a different kind

So I’m left with Shurie I guess in addition to she hulk?  I just don’t see a whole lot who fit that description anymore than Thors sidekicks or the GotG group

Shuri being a total genius, Jane as Mighty Thor kicking total ass the second she appears, Hope being an immediate badass in the Wasp costume, Natasha punching over her weight like going toe to toe with the Black Order, Carol to an extent but she's a bit God level being part Infinity Stone. Is it okay that I laughed when Mantis appears in the Avengers Assemble scene and puts her dukes up? I didn't care about the female team scene in Endgame and said so on here when others acted put out by it.  

I find it funny that I'm being lumped as some woman hater. I wasn't a huge fan of Bruno in Ms Marvel being the easy go to super genius that figures things out for Kamala either. I thought Ms. Marvel was f'ing great and one of the best comics brought to life by the MCU. 

Edited by mdmost

You’re complaining about comic book characters who are mostly accurate to their comic books, going back decades, 30+ years in some cases.

Which is ironic, because when comic book fans realized the scope of the MCU, a lot of them started getting worried that the MCU would ignore the comic books.  Instead, the MCU is embracing quite a few storylines and characters that are close to the books.  They are making tweaks here and there since they are working with either two-hour movies or 3-4 hours of TV shows as well as an overall unifying plot line or two, but I’ve been amazed at how much they’ve brought over from the comics.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'll be the first to admit, I haven't read any of the comics since the early 00s so maybe they're all bad asses in them and I'm the asshole here. Ms Marvel had the feel of a comic book brought to life. I would imagine in the long run I'll enjoy this show a lot more than the terrible Bucky and Falcon one. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Shuri being a total genius, Jane as Mighty Thor kicking total ass the second she appears, Hope being an immediate badass in the Wasp costume, Natasha punching over her weight like going toe to toe with the Black Order, Carol to an extent but she's a bit God level being part Infinity Stone. Is it okay that I laughed when Mantis appears in the Avengers Assemble scene and puts her dukes up? I didn't care about the female team scene in Endgame and said so on here when others acted put out by it.  

I find it funny that I'm being lumped as some woman hater. I wasn't a huge fan of Bruno in Ms Marvel being the easy go to super genius that figures things out for Kamala either. I thought Ms. Marvel was f'ing great and one of the best comics brought to life by the MCU. 

You forgot about the time Gwyneth Paltrow turned into a human fire missile. 

Only thing I remember of She Hulk was a comic I had where she and Spiderman pair up for something. But don’t really remember much about that one.

The better pair up I recall from my limited comic collection was Psylocke and Punisher. Give me that series.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, demos said:

Only thing I remember of She Hulk was a comic I had where she and Spiderman pair up for something. But don’t really remember much about that one.

The better pair up I recall from my limited comic collection was Psylocke and Punisher. Give me that series.

This looks to be her teaming up with Daredevil, which I believe they did in the comics (both lawyers, both in NYC at the same time at times).

Psylocke and Punisher....Jon Bernthal is fantastic Punisher.

I stopped watching Ms Marvel after the 3rd ep. After this 2nd ep, I'm inclined to stop watching now. Loki was a kick ass mind fuck. Hawkeye was good. Wandavision drug on. Moon Knight was meh. Eternals sucked. Shang-Chi was meh. Doc Strange ok. Spiderman was awesome. 

Imma wait until the climax movies (Infinity Wars and Endgame versions of this phase) to give a shit about all these new characters. If it's fun enough, I'll go back to watch these series. I'm bored with this shit.

18 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

... Too bad, she is extremely charismatic and a good actress. 

29w452.jpg

All I've seen is the trailer, but if she ended up being my blind date, I'd slit one of my wrists with a steak knife just to end it early. 

I quit reading comics about the time I went to college, although I've picked up a few, like Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen since then. She Hulk was after I quit reading them. 

When Warner Brothers made Super Girl, I watched an episode and determined I wasn't the target audience. It was for tween girls. There's nothing wrong with that, tween girls need entertainment, but I wasn't going to watch it because it wasn't for me. 

The first Avengers series was pretty cool, revisited some of the characters I loved when I was a little kid, and they nailed Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, etc., well. Thor was always a little too much "Johnny Bravo" for me. By the Avengers, I felt like they'd done pretty much everything they could do with the genre in that style. Still watched through End Game. 

I'm not the target audience for She Hulk. According to the writers and show runners, it's supposed to be some kind of Ally McBeal, courtroom dramedy. Sorry, but I wasn't into the Gilmore Girls, either. It may be a great show for a female wine mom audience, or people into gr-gr-gr-gr-girl power. 

On 8/21/2022 at 11:24 AM, Js1 said:

You can’t imagine why? AT ALL?

I mean... other than a bunch of incels who always get mad whenever there's a Sci-Fi TV show about anything other than a white, male protagonist. As always.

Anyway.

I love the show so far. I liked it so much, I've grabbed the Dan Slott Complete Collection Vol 1 of She-Hulk. And while I've enjoyed it immensely, the show is even better, and at least half of that is because of Tatiana Maslany's phenomenal comic timing. I mean... she manages this very, very brief blink-and-you'll-miss-it 4th-wall breaking moment in the 2nd episode that is just chef's kiss perfection.

Now, I'm hooked on the comic, too, but I will say -- if you're into weird 4th-wall-breaking Marvel heroines, Gwenpool is even better than She-Hulk. The artwork (mostly done by Gurihiru) is far better, and Christopher Hastings (of SomethingAwful Forums' Dr. McNinja fame) is among the be the best comic writers working today, gifted with the ability to take completely ridiculous premises and giving them legitimate pathos. There's the same "I'm definitely in a comic, and I know you're reading this" vibe. This is not a dis-recommendation of Dan Slott's She-Hulk; rather, it's "If you liked this, you'll like THIS even better" recommendation.

I mean, it's all too easy to let some stupid bullshit hang-up get in the way of enjoying good shit. Like, I really can't get over Tom Cruise and the criminal Scientology cult thing, so I will never spend a dime on Top Gun 2. That's my problem, not the movie's.

So what I'm saying here is, if you're not enjoying this, it's a you thing, something for you and your psychotherapist to work on.

Or don't. Whatever. No skin off my back.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/22/2022 at 6:11 PM, demos said:

Only thing I remember of She Hulk was a comic I had where she and Spiderman pair up for something.

The episode I read, they were teaming up to sue J. Jonah Jameson for libel.

It was going great until...

Spoiler

...the lawyer taking the lead on the case decided to subpoena, and then add to the suit, Bugle photographer Peter Parker.

Suddenly, Spidey wanted to settle after that, even though they were winning the case...

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 12:05 PM, mdmost said:

I mean. You write a whole paragraph bellyaching that female superheroes are behaving superheroically, in the same way that male superheroes do. I mean... Spider-Man pretty much starts kicking ass the morning after being bitten; Thor's a literal god, Hulk could smash right as soon as he got that gamma shot...

And now you're wondering why that would "lump you in as some woman hater." I mean, what you've written here is the literal dictionary definition of sexism. Are you ... really lacking that much self-awareness?

42 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Like, I really can't get over Tom Cruise and the criminal Scientology cult thing, so I will never spend a dime on Top Gun 2.

Wait, people give a shit about Tom Cruise being in Top Gun 2?  Jennifer Connelly and ex-Longhorn Jon Hamm are in it, isn’t that enough to go see it?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wait, people give a shit about Tom Cruise being in Top Gun 2?  Jennifer Connelly and ex-Longhorn Jon Hamm are in it, isn’t that enough to go see it?

"People?" I don't know about anyone else, and don't give a fuck. I know that I give a shit, and there's plenty of competition for my entertainment attention right now, so... no skin off my back to miss it.

I mean. You write a whole paragraph bellyaching that female superheroes are behaving superheroically, in the same way that male superheroes do. I mean... Spider-Man pretty much starts kicking ass the morning after being bitten; Thor's a literal god, Hulk could smash right as soon as he got that gamma shot...
And now you're wondering why that would "lump you in as some woman hater." I mean, what you've written here is the literal dictionary definition of sexism. Are you ... really lacking that much self-awareness?

This whole thing is funny for as big of a douche he as he was after I made similar criticism after the 1st episode of Ms Marvel

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

This whole thing is funny for as big of a douche he as he was after I made similar criticism after the 1st episode of Ms Marvel

No, you complained about having Muslim prayers, a gay teacher, and a trans person in a show about a Muslim teen in the NY metro area. You didn't want that thrown in your face. Your "criticism" had nothing to do with the actual character the show was featured on and only about "diversity" which you've bitched about many times.

Here's your quote, dickweed:

Was trying a little too hard with the diversity but better than anticipated.

Oh go fuck yourself. I was more referring to the shoe horning of the prayer in the first 10 seconds, the gay teacher, the trans kid in the hallway. All in the first 5 minutes. ie trying too hard. I am fully aware of the character and her background. Sanctimonious prick.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Let's see. Spider-Man starts out arrogant, acts like an asshole, ignores his uncle's advice which ends up getting said uncle killed, and grows in the process. Thor is an arrogant God who is cast out by his father and has to learn humility to be worthy of his powers. What? Character growth? The very thing I was talking about that Ms. Marvel had by not being awesome from the get go. Hulk was just a shitty movie and I've never really been a fan of that character. Maybe that has something to do with my lack of enjoyment in the first episode. Or you're right, I just hate women. You figured me out completely. And I really enjoyed the 2nd episode.