How big of a fan are you?

ztejas

1a.  Iowa State football.  I'm locked in to every single game no matter how bad they are.  I was a season ticket holder for over a decade.  I've either watched or listened to (usually from the tractor cab) every ISU football game since somewhere in the late 90's.  I follow the team year round (other than recruiting - I only pay attention when a guy commits) and tend to follow (raptly) the games of our opponents.  I listen to every ISU and Big 12 related podcast I can during the season.  

1b.  Iowa State basketball.  The first team to truly break my heart and also delivered the first real sports triumph I felt as a fan (1996 Big 8 Championship - the final one).  I enjoy football the game the better than basketball (I still really like basketball), and I have higher expectations for this program due to them being above average for most of my fanhood.  When they absolutely suck, I'm not locked in - and that's why they're down a peg.  It's a detachment I make for my own sanity.  ISU football being trash doesn't bug me.  ISU basketball being trash hurts my soul.

2.  Minnesota Vikings.  I don't miss any games, but I'm not nearly as emotionally invested as I was when I was a kid.  Being as I'm not from Minnesota, and have never lived there, I always feel just a tad like an interloper here.  They are the closest NFL team to where I grew up, and I just chose them on that basis.  I still get into the games, and follow their off-season moves sort of, but I'm not anywhere near as into it as ISU.  I don't follow any Vikings related podcasts for example.  A Vikings Super Bowl would be a "take Monday off of work" occasion for me.  I frequently regret not picking the second closest team to my home (the Chiefs), but you gotta ride it out.

3.  Chicago Blackhawks.  I can't really follow an 82 game season.  I watch the standings to see how the team is doing through the year (I know if they suck or not) and then once they're in the playoffs, I'm all in.  I always followed a rule of "cheer for the closest team" growing up, and I was lucky enough that when I got into hockey in the mid 90's, the North Stars had already moved to Dallas, and the Wild weren't a thing yet.  I had lots of Blackhawk gear as a kid, still have some, but I'm not invested in the regular season at all, and I'm not mad that they've been awful recently.  I feel like the thrill I got out of those 3 Cups is probably enough for one lifetime as a fan.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:58 PM, cochamps said:

1a  Longhorn football

1b Longhorn baseball

2 NY Yankee baseball

3 Longhorn basketball

4 Other Longhorn sports 

5 high school football

6 Texas Rangers

7 high school basketball

1 of these is not like the others...shart thread is ->

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, TreatyOak said:

1. Any Westlake HS team.

2. Any team in college or pro sports with a Westlake player on the team. Go Colts! 

3. Any team playing against a Tom Herman-coached team. 

IMG-5740.jpg 

Rest of the pic not showing up for me...

• Hook 'Em 1

My squads:

1. Astros - at the top for me by a large margin.  I miss watching maybe 5 games all season and those are normally Saturday night games where I have something else going on where I can't watch.  I take vacation days to go to weekday home games.  I go to at least one road series per year.  I have a fucking Astros tattoo 

2. My fantasy football teams - Fantasy football has ruined NFL rooting for me.  If I pull for a team it is the Cowboys, but I like money more so I have watched so many Saints/KC games in the past having Brees/Mahomes as starting QBs. 

3. UFC - this would be #2, but it has become so dilluted I am slowly moving it down the ranks because it is just too much shit to keep up with compared to 15 years ago.  

4. Longhorns Football - Also have a longhorn tattoo.  Astros take up the majority of my fandom, so I don't know every little thing  about the program like I used to though admittedly 

5. Houston Rockets -  Same as above with Longhorn football - just don't keep up with them as much as I did in the past

6. Longhorns Basketball  - this and Longhorns Baseball are pretty close, but the ease of access to watch the basketball team on TV moves them in front for me

7. Longhorns Baseball 

8. Florida State football -  yes they suck.  yes I am still a fan and root for them. 

9. Dallas Cowboys - See #2

My other squads that I root for, but don't really care if I see them play or not consistently - 

1. US Men's Soccer - normally just watch the biggest matches

2. Chelsea 

3. other Longhorn sports 

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was most likely conceived on campus, as my parents were both UT students living on campus. I remember sitting in the back of UT classes at 5 or so playing with toy cars when my mom went back to school to finish up several years later. I’ve lived and breathed UT sports since I was born. I have a dog named Bevo and a longhorn hanging over my fireplace. I hate OU and make fun of aggies. 

As far as what sports do I follow…….

1. Longhorn football - My weekends in the fall are planned around Longhorn football. Nothing else even comes close. Hobbies are put on hold. Work and family functions are scheduled around games. 

2. College football as a whole

3. All other UT sports 

4. NFL teams with active Longhorn players 

5. Dallas Cowboys

6. San Antonio Spurs

1909900000. Aggy stuff

1909900001. OU sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching the softball team today made me circle back to this post because I am a casual fan of all Longhorn sports until they play for something that matters. I watched most of this weeks super regional and a good bit of last weeks regional just to see if we can make the WCWS. 

If it is televised and the Longhorns are going for a trophy I am dialed in and watching every minute.

I pay more attention to Texas Football than is healthy, or for sure more than they deserve over the last decade. But I show up here at least a few times a week to see what the latest is. I will almost always tune in to watch, but they have made me not care by the end of most of the last 12 seasons. I didn’t watch any portion of the last 4 games. The first 8 were pathetic enough to completely disgust me.

Longhorn Basketball / Baseball are 2nd place. And I will watch as many of their games as I can (Good riddance LHN).

I live in Florida, got a degree from UF, married a Gator, have a daughter that is a Gator (no pics) and have best friends that are Gators.  So I pull for UF, but it never seems as euphoric when they win or stings the way it does when the Horns lose.  

Pro sports started killing my interest with the 1994 baseball strike and dealt the death blow with the Oilers leaving in 96. I will root for my favorite Longhorns in the league but have very little loyalty to pro sports, aside from the Astros since I grew up going to games and rooting for Nolan and Jose Cruz. I actually started liking them more when they went back to the historic uniform after those late 90s abominations.

Like most said, getting older puts things in perspective. I still love sports but it isn’t the same mania I had when I was younger. I actually root for the players a lot more than the logo. Stories like Dolcini making it to the WCWS make me as happy as seeing the Longhorns in the WCWS. Probably because I now have kids her age. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/23/2022 at 9:28 AM, LebongJames said:

Longhorn Football

Astros

Packers- my best friends growing up were from Wisconsin and they would grill and watch games on Sunday when my parents were at church, it was the early 90’s and Favre and I became a huge fan.

Rockets

PGA Golf- love watching, more fun when Jordan/Tiger or Scottie are in contention 

Longhorn Basketball

Horns Baseball

PGA has definitely become one of my favorites lately. I went to the US Open last year and now I wish I was at every tournament I watch on TV. I will go to more of those for sure. 

1. Astros - grew up going to games at the Dome; my first real sports heartbreak was the ‘86 NLCS against the Mets (Craig Reynolds was fucking safe at first); loved those Bagwell/Biggio teams that couldn’t quite get over the hump (and I am still sick about trading Kenny Lofton); loved the Lunhow rebuild every step of the way (and no, I don’t give a flying fuck about sign-stealing, everyone did it and everyone has done it since baseball started). Baseball is my favorite sport.

[HUGE gap]

2. Longhorns football - this was #1 a while back, but college football has become pro football except with worse players and no rules related to roster construction. Recruiting is no longer interesting. Every player is a free agent after every season. I am finding it difficult to care much when the entire game has become centered around which team can come up with the best NIL strategy to sign players. The sport is broken. I’m sure one of these years we will have the best team because we paid the most. Great?

Thats pretty much it. After the Oilers left I haven’t really had any specific NFL team I care about, though I’ll still watch games because I like the sport. Not much of an NBA fan since the Jordan/Olajuwon/Barkley/Ewing era ended in the late 90s. College basketball has been what college football has become for decades; I just don’t care. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

1. Astros - grew up going to games at the Dome; my first real sports heartbreak was the ‘86 NLCS against the Mets (Craig Reynolds was fucking safe at first); loved those Bagwell/Biggio teams that couldn’t quite get over the hump (and I am still sick about trading Kenny Lofton); loved the Lunhow rebuild every step of the way (and no, I don’t give a flying fuck about sign-stealing, everyone did it and everyone has done it since baseball started). Baseball is my favorite sport.

[HUGE gap]

2. Longhorns football - this was #1 a while back, but college football has become pro football except with worse players and no rules related to roster construction. Recruiting is no longer interesting. Every player is a free agent after every season. I am finding it difficult to care much when the entire game has become centered around which team can come up with the best NIL strategy to sign players. The sport is broken. I’m sure one of these years we will have the best team because we paid the most. Great?

Thats pretty much it. After the Oilers left I haven’t really had any specific NFL team I care about, though I’ll still watch games because I like the sport. Not much of an NBA fan since the Jordan/Olajuwon/Barkley/Ewing era ended in the late 90s. College basketball has been what college football has become for decades; I just don’t care. 

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Although I wouldn’t say “huge” gap.  Horns football can ruin my mood any given Saturday.  I’d also add Longhorn baseball as 2b - ‘83 CWS was the first time I was ever captivated by any college sport and it set In my mind that Texas was the only school I really wanted to attend.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas football used to be #1 by a lot but years of dick licking has allowed Texas baseball to close the gap. Texas basketball is a distant 3rd. Texas volleyball is often more fun to watch than our basketball team but I only watch that if the wife wants to. I watch the Astros in the playoffs, and watch good NFL matchups when I can. Austin FC is a nice product but it's a hard game for me to get into.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, B00M said:

Austin FC is a nice product but it's a hard game for me to get into.

Austin FC is a middling product. Soccer is extremely easy to get into but obviously any sport that someone didn't grow up with might be hard to develop an affinity for. Premier League and Champions League are by far the best products - and international soccer is probably the most passionate form of the game granted it isn't as technically proficient (sort of like NFL and college football). 

I'm a big soccer guy but the MLS is difficult to watch at times (granted it's getting a lot better). There are better games to watch if you're attempting to understand the appeal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1. Longhorn football

2. Houston Astros

3. Longhorn baseball

4. Longhorn basketball

5. Houston Rockets

5. I guess Houston Texans but haven't really felt connected other than with JJ Watt.

Left off Oilers since they're gone.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:37 PM, jinx said:

Watching the softball team today made me circle back to this post because I am a casual fan of all Longhorn sports until they play for something that matters. I watched most of this weeks super regional and a good bit of last weeks regional just to see if we can make the WCWS. 

If it is televised and the Longhorns are going for a trophy I am dialed in and watching every minute.

I pay more attention to Texas Football than is healthy, or for sure more than they deserve over the last decade. But I show up here at least a few times a week to see what the latest is. I will almost always tune in to watch, but they have made me not care by the end of most of the last 12 seasons. I didn’t watch any portion of the last 4 games. The first 8 were pathetic enough to completely disgust me.

Longhorn Basketball / Baseball are 2nd place. And I will watch as many of their games as I can (Good riddance LHN).

I live in Florida, got a degree from UF, married a Gator, have a daughter that is a Gator (no pics) and have best friends that are Gators.  So I pull for UF, but it never seems as euphoric when they win or stings the way it does when the Horns lose.  

Pro sports started killing my interest with the 1994 baseball strike and dealt the death blow with the Oilers leaving in 96. I will root for my favorite Longhorns in the league but have very little loyalty to pro sports, aside from the Astros since I grew up going to games and rooting for Nolan and Jose Cruz. I actually started liking them more when they went back to the historic uniform after those late 90s abominations.

Like most said, getting older puts things in perspective. I still love sports but it isn’t the same mania I had when I was younger. I actually root for the players a lot more than the logo. Stories like Dolcini making it to the WCWS make me as happy as seeing the Longhorns in the WCWS. Probably because I now have kids her age. 

Go Gators!

I live in Texas, got a degree from Texas, but much of my dad's side of the family is in Gainesville and went or are currently enrolled at Florida. I grew up watching the ole ball coarch throw his visor on the ground.

I'm glad I got to watch games live in person during the Vince Young / Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow era. I'm glad my kids are too young to remember the last 8 years of football at both schools though. 

On 5/29/2022 at 11:53 PM, ztejas said:

Austin FC is a middling product. Soccer is extremely easy to get into but obviously any sport that someone didn't grow up with might be hard to develop an affinity for. Premier League and Champions League are by far the best products - and international soccer is probably the most passionate form of the game granted it isn't as technically proficient (sort of like NFL and college football). 

I'm a big soccer guy but the MLS is difficult to watch at times (granted it's getting a lot better). There are better games to watch if you're attempting to understand the appeal. 

Some guys were behind me at the spring game getting all pumped to leave and haul ass over to watch the soccer match. Was pretty funny when the spring game didn't start for the first hour and a half or whatever they just were only running drills. I was surprised to learn they are MLS, I don't know why but I thought they were like the feeder league for MLS.

Only ever went to USMNT vs. Chile a few years ago in Houston's hot-ass stadium. Was a lot of fun though. I couldn't imagine watching a lower tier of soccer than that live though. 

On 5/21/2022 at 12:01 PM, msucolt45 said:

I will have been married 30 years on Monday (5/23) and my wife and I have had a long-standing agreement that the two four-hour windows of each Fall weekend aren’t to be messed with. Of course those two are our beloved Longhorns on Saturday and the Cowboys (I digress) on Sunday.

She and I can go and do whatever she wants during the hours surrounding those time slots, but I don’t “DVR” the Longhorns or Cowboys!

Hook’em!

Congratulations!  I made 30 earlier this year.  And with marriage and kids, its like South Austin said.  Hard to invest a lot in a lot of teams.

So mine is:

Texas Longhorn football.

I have a number I used to have on that same level, but don't follow as closely now.

Kentucky Wildcat basketball (grew up in Lexington)  One and done made it hard to keep up with the team and then when UK was playing UConn for the title, I was in a hospital waiting room alone, as my wife was out of town on business and my son was in surgery.  It was only appendicitis, but anytime anesthesia is involved, there is risk.  Really hard to get into that game.

Houston Rockets basketball--faded with having kids and the end of the Hakeem era.

Cincinnati Reds baseball--Strikes in 81 dented my enthusiasm (Reds had best record in baseball and due to stupid split season didn't even make the 4 team playoffs) and then 94 strike with no World Series (Reds led division and were 3rd in NL and 5th best in baseball) really killed my interest.

Cincinnati Bengals/Baltimore Colts football--Followed Colts before Bengals existed and they turned them from Super Bowl champ to first draft pick team in 2 years by benching or trading off all the stars-Johnny Unitas, Tom Macke, Bubba Smith, etc.  Didn't really have any ties to Baltimore so Bengals moved from #2 to #1.  Quit following NFL closely after marriage.  Couldn't tie up Sunday and Saturday.  Plus the Bengals were awful for a long time.

Kentucky Colonels basketball-folded with the ABA/NBA merger (yes, I'm old, but I got to see Earl play as a student!).

I follow the other Longhorn teams, but not nearly as closely.  Also follow the Georgia Bulldogs as my wife is a Bulldawg and a college football fan.  So I get to watch football all day Saturday, unless, of course, we are going to a game.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:52 PM, Hank Chinaski said:

[HUGE gap]

Knew someone who was out of town on business and gave up his tickets to see Scott's no hitter and then was on jury duty and couldn't use his tickets for game 6 of the NLCS.

1. Colt 45s/Astros- saw my first game at old Colt Stadium. Saw Sandy Koufax's last game in Houston in 66.

2.UT Hoops-Las Cruces!!

3. UT football-damn SI jinx.

4. Oilers- every year I pray that this will be the year they make the SB before I die. Not looking good. 

On 5/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Any of y'all know anybody that likes a team only because of a certain player? 2 of my brothers are Lebron fans so they've been on the Cavs(twice), Heat and Lakers bandwagons. They could care less about the rest of the team, only wherever Lebron goes. 

A cousin of mine is a huge Marc-Andre Fleury fan so he was all about the Chicago Blackhawks forever when they had Fleury, then bandwagoned the Vegas Golden Knights and now has joined the Minnesota Wild bandwagon. 

Don't think its that uncommon, especially in basketball.  Think there are a lot of Lebron fans.  I followed the Spurs for a while when Louis Dampier (former Kentucky Wildcat and Kentucky Colonel) moved to them after the Colonels folded.