The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Spent pretty much the entire weekend on the lake.  Like most of you, I typically try to avoid it on holiday weekends, but between family vacations and teenager extra-curricular activities all summer long, we really just don't have nearly as many days as normal, so I've got to maximize our time on the water.

Get out early to wakeboard/ski/surf, and then just float and chill the rest of the time and watch the crazies go by.

I will say that in my 20s, we tied up in long strings like those above out at Devil's and/or Bull Creek, and saw some interesting and amazing things.  But, my 20s are long gone, now.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Spent pretty much the entire weekend on the lake.  Like most of you, I typically try to avoid it on holiday weekends, but between family vacations and teenager extra-curricular activities all summer long, we really just don't have nearly as many days as normal, so I've got to maximize our time on the water.

Get out early to wakeboard/ski/surf, and then just float and chill the rest of the time and watch the crazies go by.

I will say that in my 20s, we tied up in long strings like those above out at Devil's and/or Bull Creek, and saw some interesting and amazing things.  But, my 20s are long gone, now.

we went out after 7pm several times. we sat on our dock in our boat on sunday some too. there's a reason why going to the lake on memorial day is a thing, it's a great time to be out.  just too many people in the middle of the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I never beach on the front row, but sometimes would wedge in and tie up at Sunday Beach (RIP) in that second, less contained row.  Last time I did, some young man got deposited from the boat on my stbd, across my front deck (mostly on his face), and into the boat to my port side.   I can't imagine holiday weekends.

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Almost tagged you in the post. That's my "what do you buy if you win the lottery" answer right there. 

Tell you what, if I ever win the powerball, I'll get you one.  Bayliss, Spencer, Winter, Weaver, ACY, etc what to do?!?!?!   What a problem to have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Came down to get the boat ready for Cat next weekend, but basically realized I'm not ready for a trip out there. Still just too run down. Will decide tomorrow but thinking I need a few more weeks.
fa4c87200516acf0f802e7c5747aad3d.jpg
Thinking of you, dude. Hope you're feeling better soon.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I’ve spent so much time thinking about what could be over the last 30 years that I really have a hard time enjoying the moment. I’m trying ringo. Anyway, sipping coffee with this view:

IMG_2405.jpeg

the lake Travis Sunday morning anglers are out as always, just a few here or there. I’ll And I’m reading about a new 43 foot X-yacht. 

IMG_2406.jpeg

IMG_2407.jpeg

interior plan is a bit stale - many are. But priced as shown (no carbon mast upgrade) at $595,000 new. Looks like a real option too I’ve heard the X yachts are solid sailing vessels. Though this one seems a bit drafty for shallow coves and beaches.

portugal is closing their real estate golden visa but I think Spain is still solid with theirs. $500k real estate investment gets you a resident permit and allows much less restricted travel in Europe. 

last week I was eyeing this one in Mallorca… y’all know my love affair with the oyster eye candy…

https://oysteryachts.com/sailing-yachts-for-sale/brokerage-listings/ayesha-ii/

£895,000, used but very well cared for:

IMG_2408.jpeg

I would have to redo the interior. 

then I found this 1100 sq ft apartment in Barcelona for $875,000.

IMG_2410.jpeg

it’s small but in the old part of town, but I imagine lots of time walking and enjoying the city and cafes. RT airfare to Mallorca is less than $200 on a regional. Hmmm….

Dreams of weekdays in town and long weekends and holidays in the Balerics and sailing vacations in Sardina and Corsica or in Nice, Cannes, and Antibes has me thinking Lake Travis has my attention for maybe 5-6 more years before we trade for a new adventure.  I’m sure the late night Spanish lifestyle could work fine for my night owl personality and US based law practice if I have to keep that up on a part time basis.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh and this scene last night on the lake didn’t help….

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_2397.jpeg

I can’t justify a $400k boat on lake Travis the sailing conditions are too unreliable but last night they were great and the sails came out.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/17/2023 at 8:43 AM, troph said:

It’s coming! Carbon neutral in sailing. FP production cats testing hydrogen fuel cells… 

image.jpg

I mean, weren't sailboats originally carbon-neutral anyway?

I have an idea on how to get back to that point without using fuel cells or batteries or diesel or gas or anything else... 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, utee94 said:

I mean, weren't sailboats originally carbon-neutral anyway?

I have an idea on how to get back to that point without using fuel cells or batteries or diesel or gas or anything else... 

I ain’t docking under sail power. Eff that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Some nice equipment headed out the Port A jetties yesterday for the Billfish Pachanga tournament 

IMG_2313.jpeg

IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2317.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

That’s hot, I love the big flared bows on those boats even if it’s something I’d never really want to own. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, davidg said:

That’s a fantastic boat. Did you go for the Helmaster Ex Autopilot on the big Yamaha’s?

Yes, Helmaster EX at both steering stations which will also allow the mains to be used with the chart plotter autopilot functions.  I’m a little bitter that I’m not getting the new 450s, but knowing Yamaha it would be a two year wait to get them.  

8473BB63-48AE-4765-8011-7AF3346A6F87.jpeg

Edited by USCATX
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, davidg said:

Good luck and keep everybody in the boat

That's the goal

16 hours ago, Viking said:

I've been wondering where you've been as I don't remember seeing boat racing pics in awhile. Good luck with the race! How's the weather looking?

Yeah, life has just gotten in the way. Still racing a bit but have had too many irons in the fire this past year.

Yesterday's weather was pretty bonkers, nothing crazy intensify wise but just all over the map and nothing like forecast. We did a races worth of sail changes in the first three hours.

Pretty gorgeous here today, though could use more wind. About 10 miles south of Pt. Betsie on Michigan shoreline.

20230723-115247.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1