The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Offer accepted yesterday, surveys scheduled over the next few weeks. If all checks out this is the new PortAfino in about a month.

IMG_1200.jpeg

IMG_1202.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg

IMG_1204.jpeg

IMG_1205.jpeg

That is all the sex.  Congrats. 

I’ll let y’all fill in the next few pages then can throw my sled back in every now and then. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Ok so what’s this superstitious shit about renaming a boat? Someone just told me if you are superstitious you have to go through some whole ceremony or it will be bad luck.

I am not superstitious. But I also don’t like taking unnecessary risk.

I've never heard that in my life

22 minutes ago, G650 said:

I've never heard that in my life

You've never heard that you're not supposed to rename a boat, or you've never heard that there's some ceremony that should be performed? 

Because the former is longstanding maritime superstition. But I've never heard of any ceremony to break the bad luck.

Anyway, I don't believe in any of that bulljive, and I think tbone should feel free to rename the boat.

As long as that name is "Stabbin' Steve's Floating Playground."

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You've never heard that you're not supposed to rename a boat, or you've never heard that there's some ceremony that should be performed? 

Because the former is longstanding maritime superstition. But I've never heard of any ceremony to break the bad luck.

Anyway, I don't believe in any of that bulljive, and I think tbone should feel free to rename the boat.

As long as that name is "Stabbin' Steve's Floating Playground."

Are we talking galleons, clippers and other ships, or fiberglass powerboats? Because no, in all my hundreds of thousands of sea miles I have never heard don't rename a boat.

Hell,  I don't think most people name boats in the first place.

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Are we talking galleons, clippers and other ships, or fiberglass powerboats? Because no, in all my hundreds of thousands of sea miles I have never heard don't rename a boat.

Hmmm, well I certainly don't have hundreds of thousands of sea miles, but around here at least, and down on the Texas coast, it's extremely common for boats to be named, and for that name to be displayed on the stern, like this:

What's in a (boat) name? - Trade Only Today

As for never hearing of the bad luck thing, I don't know what to tell you.  It's pretty commonly known.  A quick google search reveals dozens of hits. Perhaps it's possible you don't know EVERYthing about boating?

Edited by utee94

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Hmmm, well I certainly don't have hundreds of thousands of sea miles, but around here at least, and down on the Texas coast, it's extremely common for boats to be named, and for that name to be displayed on the stern, like this:

What's in a (boat) name? - Trade Only Today

As for never hearing of it, I don't know what to tell you.  It's pretty commonly known.  Perhaps it's possible you don't know EVERYthing about boating?

Yeah, don’t really know any boats that don’t have a name anywhere I’ve been. Sure, a 17 foot skiff may not have a name but a lot of my friends with boats like that have a name they call it and most have that name somewhere on the boat side. As far as tbone’s size boat they all have a name around here.

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

a 17 foot skiff

aka, a boat?

Look, I'm not remotely trying to have an argument, I am genuinely surprised as I've never heard of changing the name on small craft as a bad omen. I've seen countless one's changed and no one ever said boo. That's all.

20 minutes ago, G650 said:

oh man I thought this was very common knowledge.  Only way to change the name without bad luck is to run aground 3 times (rubbing the old name off) or for sailboats managing to sail backwards for a boat length.

I don't think most folks give it much thought if any, but yeah renaming a boat is right up there with taking bananas fishing.

I thought it was common knowledge that renaming a boat was bad karma. There's a renaming ceremony typically involving alcohol, an appeal to Neptune? Poseidon?, more alcohol and then pouring alcohol into the ocean as an offering to Neptune/Poseidon.

I'm not superstitious so I just removed the vinyl lettering for the old name, slapped on the new, and called it a day.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

I will 100% not take bananas on a boat.

Never heard the banana one. I do recall on a dive boat in the BVI, got sick (way too hung over to be diving), and found out the best way to treat a hangover is with an ice cold banana.  It even tasted great on the way back up.  Captain had a stock of them in a cooler by the helm. 

8 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Never heard the banana one. I do recall on a dive boat in the BVI, got sick (way too hung over to be diving), and found out the best way to treat a hangover is with an ice cold banana.  It even tasted great on the way back up.  Captain had a stock of them in a cooler by the helm. 

Lol wut.  Persona (fructus?) non grata right there.  Bananas are second only to what, starting a fire on the deck?   

16 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

That's crazy talk right there.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I thought it was common knowledge that renaming a boat was bad karma. There's a renaming ceremony typically involving alcohol, an appeal to Neptune? Poseidon?, more alcohol and then pouring alcohol into the ocean as an offering to Neptune/Poseidon.

I'm not superstitious so I just removed the vinyl lettering for the old name, slapped on the new, and called it a day.

The only Neptune/Poseidon ceremony I know is for the first tome you cross the equator. Have to eat a nasty concoction of whatever the crew comes up with.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

The only Neptune/Poseidon ceremony I know is for the first tome you cross the equator. Have to eat a nasty concoction of whatever the crew comes up with.

The navy guys can tell you stories about getting their shellback.   Not for the faint of heart if the stories are to be believed.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, locodos said:

The navy guys can tell you stories about getting their shellback.   Not for the faint of heart if the stories are to be believed.

Yeah I believe about 80% of it, which in terms of Navy stories is like 150% of a normal person.

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, don’t really know any boats that don’t have a name anywhere I’ve been. Sure, a 17 foot skiff may not have a name but a lot of my friends with boats like that have a name they call it and most have that name somewhere on the boat side. As far as tbone’s size boat they all have a name around here.

I call mine "Not again you fucking bitch!" 

• Haha 1