The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Yeah, thinking about it, the sitting still comment was probably not accurate. In my mind, I was thinking sailing is chilling and casually cruising through the water.  But, can certainly see there is more to it than that and  it can get hairy dealing with the elements and can definitely respect it takes a lot of experience and skill.  

Absolutely the racing seems like a lot of work and could easily produce my favorite drug.  It also seems very expensive and time consuming.  

(Since we are talking about passions/hobbies, just felt like writing this next part to share in case it interests anybody.  Would be interested in reading y’all’s version of this)
For me, I like the smell of hot brakes, fuel burning, a seat with no padding while locked in with a harness so you are part of the car, setting up the car, balancing just beyond the cars grip, diabolical qualifying laps where you get out shaking a little and think “holy shit”, laps where all sections come together, breaking into a new second you haven’t seen before, not letting the predictive lap time fuck you up, pit crew telling you what you need on a lap during qualifying and making it happen, beating the people that trained you, the nervousness when gridding up not knowing what kind of shape things will be in when you return, the way your heart pumps when watching the shoulder/elbow for the flag to drop, the initial roar when everyone steps on it, surviving that first turn, reminding yourself to breathe, drink water and lightly grip the steering wheel, the sound two cars make when they are inches apart leaving a corner and the engines sing in harmony, setting up a pass several turns before you intend to pass, defending a corner, perfectly exiting a corner counter steering and  there was no more track to use on track out and there is probably a little dust behind you, standing on the brakes because you came in too hot but you made it, forcing an error on the person in front of you because you are pressuring them, flashing your lights at the person you are pressuring, seeing the white flag, the sigh of relief when you pass the checkered flag and let off the gas, the feeling during a cool down lap especially if you won or placed, pulling back into pits in one piece, comparing notes and sharing stories with the other racers afterwards especially if there was a close battle.  And, most of all, that 30 minutes to an hour and a half where you can think about nothing else other than what you are doing at that exact second and maybe the next few seconds.  It’s the only thing I have found so far that calms me down and clears my head.  And, this is from an amateur.  Just like golf, the pros are on a different level.  

That’s really cool. I think it’s good to have something like that that you completely lose yourself in trying to do it for real. Maybe not to the full professional level but to a level that’s more than just the average hobbyist.

For me thats playing live music. Experience is similar to what you describe. But that’s for a different thread I think.

Not everyone is wired this way. I remember my ex never once did any type of hobby or interest of anything. I always thought she’d benefit from something that could give work/parenting/life/whatever a rest. But that wasn’t her. Others are def like this as well. Seems like they are missing out but I guess we are wired how we’re wired.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s really cool. I think it’s good to have something like that that you completely lose yourself in trying to do it for real. Maybe not to the full professional level but to a level that’s more than just the average hobbyist.

For me thats playing live music. Experience is similar to what you describe. But that’s for a different thread I think.

Not everyone is wired this way. I remember my ex never once did any type of hobby or interest of anything. I always thought she’d benefit from something that could give work/parenting/life/whatever a rest. But that wasn’t her. Others are def like this as well. Seems like they are missing out but I guess we are wired how we’re wired.

I was all in on work, mastering my profession and making money until I was 40. That's when it changed for me. now that I know how to do what I do without study or extra effort, I shifted all that extra to hobbies. I have no idea how I'd be without them. I don't understand people without hobbies.

5 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Yeah, thinking about it, the sitting still comment was probably not accurate. In my mind, I was thinking sailing is chilling and casually cruising through the water.  But, can certainly see there is more to it than that and  it can get hairy dealing with the elements and can definitely respect it takes a lot of experience and skill.  

Absolutely the racing seems like a lot of work and could easily produce my favorite drug.  It also seems very expensive and time consuming.  

(Since we are talking about passions/hobbies, just felt like writing this next part to share in case it interests anybody.  Would be interested in reading y’all’s version of this)

For me, I like the smell of hot brakes, fuel burning, a seat with no padding while locked in with a harness so you are part of the car, setting up the car, balancing just beyond the cars grip, diabolical qualifying laps where you get out shaking a little and think “holy shit”, laps where all sections come together, breaking into a new second you haven’t seen before, not letting the predictive lap time fuck you up, pit crew telling you what you need on a lap during qualifying and making it happen, beating the people that trained you, the nervousness when gridding up not knowing what kind of shape things will be in when you return, the way your heart pumps when watching the shoulder/elbow for the flag to drop, the initial roar when everyone steps on it, surviving that first turn, reminding yourself to breathe, drink water and lightly grip the steering wheel, the sound two cars make when they are inches apart leaving a corner and the engines sing in harmony, setting up a pass several turns before you intend to pass, defending a corner, perfectly exiting a corner counter steering and  there was no more track to use on track out and there is probably a little dust behind you, standing on the brakes because you came in too hot but you made it, forcing an error on the person in front of you because you are pressuring them, flashing your lights at the person you are pressuring, seeing the white flag, the sigh of relief when you pass the checkered flag and let off the gas, the feeling during a cool down lap especially if you won or placed, pulling back into pits in one piece, comparing notes and sharing stories with the other racers afterwards especially if there was a close battle.  And, most of all, that 30 minutes to an hour and a half where you can think about nothing else other than what you are doing at that exact second and maybe the next few seconds.  It’s the only thing I have found so far that calms me down and clears my head.  And, this is from an amateur.  Just like golf, the pros are on a different level.  

Hell Yeah Yes GIF by JcrOffroad

I love some cars too obviously. Only so many hours in the day unfortunately

• Like 1

I'm just gonna say I went sailing yesterday and got laid twice since then. chicks dig boats, but they really dig the sailing types if my sample size of 1 is indicative of anything.

So What Reaction GIF

Edited by troph

We moved to Florida for work in May of last year.  We were boat club members on Lake Travis for 5-6 years. Now being here we have the itch. We are probably going to buy because of how our schedules work and the quality of boats we have seen in the area we are looking.

How many of y’all have experience on the west coast of Florida? We are looking to cruise the intercoastal, the bays and sandbars around Sarasota, Siesta Key, Lido Key and Longboat Key. 

Any recommendations on what y’all would buy? It’s just the two of us and 2 big ass dogs. Not really looking to sail at this point. We do fine but can’t afford a $200k boat.

70976131344__4FEE1967-6A7E-4B6F-9437-56F2A47DDABC.jpeg

70976143602__FF1268A9-9B61-4936-9E51-248120FCFA02.jpeg

We moved to Florida for work in May of last year.  We were boat club members on Lake Travis for 5-6 years. Now being here we have the itch. We are probably going to buy because of how our schedules work and the quality of boats we have seen in the area we are looking.
How many of y’all have experience on the west coast of Florida? We are looking to cruise the intercoastal, the bays and sandbars around Sarasota, Siesta Key, Lido Key and Longboat Key. 

Any recommendations on what y’all would buy? It’s just the two of us and 2 big ass dogs. Not really looking to sail at this point. We do fine but can’t afford a $200k boat.
70976131344__4FEE1967-6A7E-4B6F-9437-56F2A47DDABC.thumb.jpeg.268d8a373e6b1827130738eab43083de.jpeg
70976143602__FF1268A9-9B61-4936-9E51-248120FCFA02.thumb.jpeg.d29be5fcd20d1c1f8779c35b446ead78.jpeg

Ive always wanted to cruise the keys in a 30-35 foot cuddy. There is a large contingent of people that go out for 3-4 days at a time and anchor on islands/sandbars and spend the night.

If it’s just y’all 2 and some dogs - a 33 foot Hydra sport with twin 300’s would work great.
  • Hook 'Em 1

We spend our time a couple hours south of you. There are a ton of options all across the price ranges that will work in your area. Do you fish? Do you have prior boating experience? Where you are at, there is no way I would go with anything in the 33 foot range for what you mentioned above unless you are going out overnight or spending time off shore. It’s too shallow and tide dependent, something in the 24-26 foot range will do most everything in that area. I’m always going to lean towards a bay boat, but if you don’t fish a dual console style boat would be much more comfortable for cruising and sandbar hopping.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Brew said:

We spend our time a couple hours south of you. There are a ton of options all across the price ranges that will work in your area. Do you fish? Do you have prior boating experience? Where you are at, there is no way I would go with anything in the 33 foot range for what you mentioned above unless you are going out overnight or spending time off shore. It’s too shallow and tide dependent, something in the 24-26 foot range will do most everything in that area. I’m always going to lean towards a bay boat, but if you don’t fish a dual console style boat would be much more comfortable for cruising and sandbar hopping.

Yes I like to fish but don’t spend a ton of time doing it. I have always hired a guide in the past. Have a ton experience with wakeboard boats, bow riders and pontoons but all on Lake Travis, Lake McQueeny and some lakes in Washington. All of my salt water experience I have never been the captain. We don’t plan to do over nights at this point. Our initial search we were looking at some 21-22 outboard bowriders.

2 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Yes I like to fish but don’t spend a ton of time doing it. I have always hired a guide in the past. Have a ton experience with wakeboard boats, bow riders and pontoons but all on Lake Travis, Lake McQueeny and some lakes in Washington. All of my salt water experience I have never been the captain. We don’t plan to do over nights at this point. Our initial search we were looking at some 21-22 outboard bowriders.

Bigger is better (at least to a point) when dealing with saltwater boats. I would go to the higher side of that range because Sarasota Bay is still a large body of water and the intercoastal is going to have large boats running it. Saltwater boats are worse than fresh water brands and trucks for that matter as far as people’s opinions about certain ones, so find what you like and what fits your needs. I would also look more at the dual consoles than strictly bow riders because you can get some cross over usage. 

You really can’t go wrong with any of the 22-24 foot DC’s, so I would find a dealer / service center near you that’s easy to work with even if you are buying used. I’ve been out in the GW Freedom 235 and the Everglades version and have looked at the Robalo, Scout, and Boston Whaler and they are all personal preference on the minor details. I decided pretty quickly they wouldn’t work for what we like to do and a bay boat made more sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

We’ve owned a 20’ KeyWest DC for almost 20 years now.  Great boat with the the kids growing up and I’ve been 30+ miles out in the Gulf fishing with 3 guys one day and pulling tubes or skis at the lake the next.  When we bought DCs weren’t as popular but now they are everywhere (including GW’s recently announced 41 ft’r).   Pursuit makes a really nice 23’ DC that hits a lot of the marks for me as does the GW.   I don’t like the 23’ KW with its integral rear seat as it eats up a lot of cockpit space. 

Are you planning on towing the boat?  If so, your tow vehicle could be a limiting factor.  

Here’s my 19 yo boat at the lake

5D820700-EBFC-4CA0-B15D-9BAA2D517708.thumb.jpeg.511fa0646af4a87e92018fc343b8e6c6.jpeg

And here’s the DC I’d buy after hitting the powerball

9B343CD1-9315-4613-BA02-BF662209F933.png.349b32e2f562f37d54a00f333f39ec12.png

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, davidg said:

We’ve owned a 20’ KeyWest DC for almost 20 years now.  Great boat with the the kids growing up and I’ve been 30+ miles out in the Gulf fishing with 3 guys one day and pulling tubes or skis at the lake the next.  When we bought DCs weren’t as popular but now they are everywhere (including GW’s recently announced 41 ft’r).   Pursuit makes a really nice 23’ DC that hits a lot of the marks for me as does the GW.   I don’t like the 23’ KW with its integral rear seat as it eats up a lot of cockpit space. 

Are you planning on towing the boat?  If so, your tow vehicle could be a limiting factor.  

Here’s my 19 yo boat at the lake

5D820700-EBFC-4CA0-B15D-9BAA2D517708.thumb.jpeg.511fa0646af4a87e92018fc343b8e6c6.jpeg

And here’s the DC I’d buy after hitting the powerball

9B343CD1-9315-4613-BA02-BF662209F933.png.349b32e2f562f37d54a00f333f39ec12.png

Initial thought was to use a marina. I do have a F150 FX4 with every tow feature you could ask for so I think I would be ok, I could be wrong depending on the size of the boat and the launch.

10 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Initial thought was to use a marina. I do have a F150 FX4 with every tow feature you could ask for so I think I would be ok, I could be wrong depending on the size of the boat and the launch.

Marina wins 10 times out of 10 when dealing with salt water unless you have a fairly newly built launch in your area which isn’t likely on the west coast of Florida. Launching boats in salt water is a hassle that is just completely different than lake/river launching. That hassle is compounded by the fact most of the ramps especially along the SW side of Florida are stacked up with people a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Marina wins 10 times out of 10 when dealing with salt water unless you have a fairly newly built launch in your area which isn’t likely on the west coast of Florida. Launching boats in salt water is a hassle that is just completely different than lake/river launching. That hassle is compounded by the fact most of the ramps especially along the SW side of Florida are stacked up with people a lot of the time.

That was my thought. I really don’t want to have to deal with that every time we go out.

On 2/7/2024 at 8:34 AM, Handcruser said:

New nautique 25 is 440k.

Fucking insane.

Wow!  Not so suddenly, I'm feeling better and better about hanging onto my 1998 Ski Nautique.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

@sbbruin

Is this a feature or a bug? Do you know the backstory? At Hamilton Cove.

fe4dee5dce42bcf2f36e9810647a860f.jpg

Yep,that went up on the beach a few days ago.  Surprised it hasn’t been pulled off.  Glad you picked Hamilton.  Great spot and you get the golf cart.  Where have you eaten?  

• Like 1

The ol' Yellow boat club!  Gotta get ours to the mechanic and see if it's salvageable.  Went to winterize it in the fall, and it was struggling to start.  Swapped fuel relays, and she ran for a good minute before stalling out again.  Couldn't get it back up and running after that.  I'd say there's a 60 percent chance it's garbage gas (pump gas with ethanol in it sitting for a year and change), 20% it's a fuel pump (replaced it 2 years ago with an Amazon pump), and a 5% chance it's a cracked block after a freeze.

Did get down to the lake park to fish with the family on Saturday, and the water was pretty nice, but the surfer boats were coming out in force, throwing some 5-6' wakes without anyone in tow.  And saw some junker outboard bayboat towing in a fairly nice older direct drive ski boat, and gave me a good laugh.  It's the older junkers that are still floating that get the care for sure.

I winterized it as best I could.  Pulled the freeze plugs and let them drain, disconnected the impeller hoses and drained them.  Second time I've had to do it the old fashioned way while the motor was not running.

At this point, it's like Schrödinger's boat.  I can still believe it works as long as I don't know the oil is the forbidden sludge at this point. 

Sailing Sunday, 9 knots base forecast, out of the south, should make for some nice broad reach sailing, high of about 80. Sunshine and rainbows!!! 

going to dust off the rust on docking a larger boat in tight spots, anchoring, heaving to, MOB, and probably practice some knots this weekend. Back in the saddle after that, they will let me take the boat unsupervised now, but I like the extra instruction, makes up for 3 decades of work and different interests. 

Edited by troph

If you are in or near Austin, HUGE shoutout to Geromi of Boat Town.  Long story short, had two families out for the first time since de-winterizing the boat.  Apparently, when the person winterized, they missed emptying the strainer.  So, unbeknownst to me, it cracked.  
took off in the boat, barely made it where I was going and there were a bunch of problems. Mainly caused by the cracked strainer.

Called the local Boat Town and they said they couldn’t send someone to fix it.  Called Geromi and within 30 minutes someone was there fixing it.  Got it fixed and I was on my way.  

Truth be told I like Nautiques better than Mastercraft’s but bought a Mastercraft due to the service promised.  I won’t ever buy from anyone else.

Fun fact, he sold me this boat used with 20 hours on it as a favor to another customer and didn’t make a dime by selling it to me.  And, this is still the service I received.  

Therr are still people that do business the right way and he is one of them.

• Hook 'Em 4

8-12 knots. 80 degrees. Partly cloudy.  Sunshine and rainbows.

Saved one MOB text book to the starboard side, another second time around.  Two others to the port side meh. Third time on that guy swooped him up starboard side within 30-40 feet of an anchored power boat. They enjoyed the show. I received a round of applause on the third time around on that guy. 

took it out, brought it back. Ran autopilot when I had to let out the main sheet when over powered. 

had one broad reach down wind that was just incredible.  Kinda like that 7 iron on to the green, boat was balanced, just took it all in for 20 mins. had a really nice beam reach early and late to cap it off.

i almost handled the boat single handedly. 

back to friends and family next got my refreshers out of the way!! 

god it’s so cathartic! 

IMG_4385.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Selling a 2007 Malibu 247 LSV with a tandom axle Dorsey trailer. 37k and firm. 419.1 hours on a 383 Hammerhead engine. Gel coat is 9.5/10. Covered at the lake during boating season and warehouse offseason. Rockford Fosgate with a few amps and wet sounds for the tower speakers.

Mechanical and other notes: trailer just had new bearings installed last summer and has about 50 miles on them. Brakes work great. Seating re-upholstered about 5 years ago. Only non-ethanol gas.

Issues: Bimini has a small tear. The sending unit for the gauges for the bags aren’t working for 2 of them, but we just glanced outside the boat to see if water was flowing or not. As pictured one of the chrome fasteners for the engine compartment on the sun deck fell in the engine compartment and I can’t reach it but it’s in the boat.

Reason for selling is got a new boat.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/seqxmdx8fG6HMtWH7

Supposed to be on the water day under sail power the weather is gorgeous but zero wind and I picked up whatever respiratory virus my son has been under. Booo.

you can see how many dead spots are out there… 

This first pic is amazing in the spring with winds out of the south you get a nice long fetch on a broad reach.

that’s looking north and there’s plenty of water behind to the south and even more space for the wind coming through as it is coming through a valley that just extends further south out of a wide cove.

Makes for superior relaxing under mild temperatures, and low apparent wind speeds with virtually no chance of being over powered. What most people want when they want to go sailing with their friends (aka how to impress the ladies).

IMG_4422.jpeg

this one is harder ends up a beam reach in the spring winds out of the south right to left but the topography makes you hug the shore of the left with too many dead spots on the right as that cliff is imposing on the wind patterns.  Winter winds out of the north it’s easier but also colder. 

IMG_4421.jpeg

Marina with our sailboats is just up the channel on the second pic on the right. Allows a sail down to where I’m standing and maneuver around to starboard to head down that channel in the top pic.  We can go the other direction out of camera view too.

anyhoo, these are my home waters. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

You’re still alive. And sailing. 

Anytime I think about giving up, it’s rarer these days but it’s happened, I think of simple things like this.

• Like 2

Can leaded fuel be used in newer inboard boats? Can’t really find anything on Reddit or similar. Reason for asking is my lake has only 87 non ethanol. I need 93. I wanted to put some AVGAS (100LL) in it for some more octane points. Don’t know if there are some O2 sensors on the exhaust side so just curious. Plus, LL is great lubrication for the engine.

Moomba Mojo regards,

On 3/28/2024 at 9:48 PM, wd40 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.bd88bd7ab80586fe5eb11e239fd69f2f.jpeg

spacer.png

I’m new to this delight but it has become one of my greatest pleasures. 

we sailed under 18 knots gusting to 30+ last weekend.  We sail again Sunday. 

I wish to have enough experience one day to write about it with the eloquence and with the meaning it deserves. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Back at the office today.  First 2024 venture out on Canyon Lake.  Duck the low water hazards HOLLA!

IMG_4531.jpeg

IMG_4528.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
MasterCraft running like a Rolex dug out of a jewelry box after 10 years
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1