Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

51 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Our political leaders could be working on crafting legislation that provides a way forward for sensible gun regulation, but they have voter suppression laws to pass.

the continued inaction by the governemnt of the US for fucking decades now - on so many things - is just unreal. Biggest soap opera on earth.

Just siphoning money off the middle class - and the smaller middle class of the future - to fund rich corporations and their caretakers while society sputters along. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

which one do you think is easier to regulate:

1. weapons

2. people getting angry/being generally unstable

I am not opposed to gun regulations, however I believe focusing on the guns alone is missing the bigger picture. It is a gun violence epidemic and the guns are not shooting themselves. While I believe government can and should do more to reduce the body count, the real solutions are going to take more than banning some weapons. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I don’t understand why we reflexively work around the gun when assessing gun violence. We don’t do that with drugs. Acknowledging that drugs don’t take themselves has never stopped us from seeing them as a big part of the problem.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I ain't been in here all day when my basketball fiending was interrupted by this grim news.

I looked at Twitterville and of course there is no stated motive in the news. 

I guess it matters because if they were from a region where we are in a military operation, ie Muslim, that would be a radically different public response than if it were the son of a youth minister having a bad day because he can't get enough pussy.

Yeah. Motive matters

I also wish people would focus a bit more of the utility of weapons that the simple "us vs. them" of 2nd amendment interpretation.  It's understandable that people want handguns or shotguns for home protection. Rifles for hunting.  There is an environmental argument for encouraging hunting. 

But people would rather be partisan and absolute about the issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes but the right to bare drugs isn't in the Bill of Rights. But guns, no way can we do anything to limit people's right to get a firearm if they want it. Now voting, we can make that has hard as possible even thought it too is in the Constitution. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So are there going to be more of these mass shootings because of pent up desire to show off the "righteous rage" due to the Covid lock down? Do the press in other countries stay on shooter stories for hours? CNN hasn't gotten off of it yet.  Maybe that is why unstable pissed off assholes think shooting up shopping centers and schools is an attractive option to show off the rage. We maybe need to rethink the press coverage too.

Fuck the shooters by not saying their fucking names or broadcasting hours of it on national news. Local news where it happens is different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I don’t understand why we reflexively work around the gun when assessing gun violence. We don’t do that with drugs. Acknowledging that drugs don’t take themselves has never stopped us from seeing them as a big part of the problem.

America in currently #1 in the world in both drug overdose deaths and gun violence suicides.  I’d say our approach to both issues has been a catastrophic failure. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

There is a constitutional right to arm oneself to the teeth, hence, the practical need to study ways in which we can live uneasily with that right.

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

There is a constitutional right to arm oneself to the teeth, hence, the practical need to study ways in which we can live uneasily with that right.

Yes, the way some want to live uneasily with that right is that innocent people are just going to have to die because any limit is too much. So it's just the way things are and you just have to hope it's not your kid's school, your wife's shopping trip, or your minority group (race, sex, gender, orientation) that's being targeted this time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

will have a tough time making sense of themselves.  

Nope. Nobody is required to make sense of themselves anymore. Colliding head on with illogical and incongruent thought is the way forward. Truth is dumb. Dumb is smart. And if you were smart you'd get aligned with stupidity. 

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Our society basically accepted half a million deaths in order to try to keep business running.

It is certainly willing to accept some number of mass shooting victims/all gun deaths in order to maintain the status quo in terms of gun rights.

81 million people in the last election didn't accept it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

We’re already living uneasily with that perceived right. It’s time to try something else. Two mass shootings within a week should be too much even for gun idolizing Americans.

Just now, Lobo said:

Would it be weird if normal people could own guns and crazy murderers couldn't have them?  Could we somehow pull off both?  

You may find it odd that some Republicans actively fight against red flag laws since they're an infringement on 2A. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Our society basically accepted half a million deaths in order to try to keep business running.

It is certainly willing to accept some number of mass shooting victims/all gun deaths in order to maintain the status quo in terms of gun rights.

This is what it boils down to.  Our society is broken but few want to accept it because then we’d have to make real changes.

• Like 1

Just now, mdmost said:

81 million people in the last election didn't accept it. 

???  Blue states and red states basically all accepted deaths in order to keep the economy going. 

Other than perhaps having the folks at Central Market bring groceries to your car, and doing takeout, no one shut down to the level it would have taken to avoid Covid casualties.  The election was the difference between being kind of cautious on the blue side vs. bat shit stupid on the red side, but no one was willing to "shut down".  It's still more an issue of the vibe one puts out than actual practical differences in approach.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

You may find it odd that some Republicans actively fight against red flag laws since they're an infringement on 2A. 

Bullshit aside, y'all find it kinda weird that this Atlanta serial killer has somehow kinda deflected the whole gun control conversation?  I mean, he had some massive red flags, but nothing indicating immediate murder, until he went and bought weapons/ammo day of, and went on a murder spree.  We get that. but nobody on either side is really contending that.  The whole thing now is what he said he was really doing on his spree and what other people think he was actually up to on his spree.  Him buying the fucking guns is like #5 on the list right now.  Everything else is about motive, deflection, etc.  

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is what it boils down to.  Our society is broken but few want to accept it because then we’d have to make real changes.

True. So long as no acknowledgment is made, we won’t change anything. If we would just stop and think about what could have happened to us on our most recent visit to the grocery store...

12 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

It's understandable that people want handguns or shotguns for home protection. Rifles for hunting.

so are you ok with laws that allowed handguns but only within the confines of your personal home?  taking it off your property was illegal?

and are you ok with laws that keep hunting rifles locked up on leases or a govt facility where they could only use them for hunting, and bringing them anywhere else was illegal?

and are we ok with the penalty for being caught with a gun equivalent to being caught with an intent-to-distribute amount of cocaine or heroin?

if people only need guns for home/family protection and hunting, then these should be more than reasonable restrictions. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, henrygandorf said:

so are you ok with laws that allowed handguns but only within the confines of your personal home?  taking it off your property was illegal?

and are you ok with laws that keep hunting rifles locked up on leases or a govt facility where they could only use them for hunting, and bringing them anywhere else was illegal?

and are we ok with the penalty for being caught with a gun equivalent to being caught with an intent-to-distribute amount of cocaine or heroin?

if people only need guns for home/family protection and hunting, then these should be more than reasonable restrictions. 

I would love to live in a place with those very sensible regulations.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I'm okay with that but I'd probably favor the ability to obtain, with difficulty, a license to carry it on your person/in car.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

What is he penalty for shooting a bunch of people?

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Same deal - one should be able to obtain a license to take the rifle from home to lease to home to lease.

I'd rather have well licensed rifles dispersed than turn leases into armories. 

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Bullshit aside, y'all find it kinda weird that this Atlanta serial killer has somehow kinda deflected the whole gun control conversation?  I mean, he had some massive red flags, but nothing indicating immediate murder, until he went and bought weapons/ammo day of, and went on a murder spree.  We get that. but nobody on either side is really contending that.  The whole thing now is what he said he was really doing on his spree and what other people think he was actually up to on his spree.  Him buying the fucking guns is like #5 on the list right now.  Everything else is about motive, deflection, etc.  

What’s wrong with same day purchase killings in Georgia? Shouldn’t  your anger be directed toward those pushing same day voter registration?

I'm okay with that but I'd probably favor the ability to obtain, with difficulty, a license to carry it on your person/in car.

why do you need one on your person or in your car?  are you planning on getting into a gun fight?  are you a character in the wild bunch?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

True. So long as no acknowledgment is made, we won’t change anything. If we would just stop and think about what could have happened to us on our most recent visit to the grocery store...

We were assailed by a random lady at the egg section.  Turns out what you want is free range, and not cage free.  Darker yokes. 

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

What is he penalty for shooting a bunch of people?

those people's families get to take turns kicking you in the balls until you die from the pain.

*i don't mean to discriminate and imply that the shooters would all have balls, but, well, yeah.

18 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I’m 15-20 years away from moving abroad for the rest of my life. The first sentence in this quote is the number 2 factor behind our turbofucked system of healthcare. 

I mean, yeah. Our kids have active shooter drills in preschool now. We don’t even acknowledge how damaging it is to a child to prepare them that they might be slaughtered in their class someday. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

why do you need one on your person or in your car?  are you planning on getting into a gun fight?  are you a character in the wild bunch?

I don't need one because I'm a more wiry version of Warren Oates.  I just think you and your husband should have the right to decide on personal protection for you when you go to a bad neighborhood, assuming you have no criminal record and you've passed all the tests for certification.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Same deal - one should be able to obtain a license to take the rifle from home to lease to home to lease.

so you get a one-time license to take it to your lease.  otherwise, it's illegal?  is that what you're saying?  you shouldn't need to carry it home.  and if you have more than one lease or area where you hunt, then it's time to buy a second gun.  people with a second home have a second fridge.  they don't bring their fridge back and forth with them.  same with washer/dryers.

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'd rather have well licensed rifles dispersed than turn leases into armories. 

you'd rather have rifles be restricted by licenses acquired by human people than have rifles be safely locked away?

turning leases into armories isn't what you're describing it to be.  an armory is typically filled with legal things.  this would be like turning a lease into an evidence lockup.  while those get busted into on tv shows and movies, i imagine in the real world, they're relatively safe, and would likely have electronic surveillance.  

I don't need one because I'm a more wiry version of Warren Oates.  I just think you and your husband should have the right to decide on personal protection for you when you go to a bad neighborhood, assuming you have no criminal record and you've passed all the tests for certification.  

Nice. Maybe throw in cuck or other Trump-like words since you've decided to go heel in Cloak Room. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread