Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

This is another reason to abolish the filibuster. A solid majority of the country approves of more gun restrictions, and this includes a lot of gun owners. Pass universal background checks, waiting periods, red flag laws, improve mental healthcare, and magazine limits, and hopefully that makes a difference.

This gun owner supports all of the above. Those things don’t infringe on the rights of any responsible gun owner in a material way.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, slorch said:

In a thread like this, it's often just a race for people to try and show how sensitive they are in dealing with obvious cases of horror. 

It's also a race for gun owners to mumble stuff about how they are responsible gun owners, and for the rest of us to wonder if those same responsible gun owners are doing anything to further the cause of better regulation, or, like those who tacitly support Trump, shake their heads and say "I wish he wouldn't say some of the things he does".

The gun debate is a cultural debate, and the problem is that the left hasn't made room for responsible gun owners and the right hasn't made room for responsible gun owners to speak up.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

One death from gun violence is too many. We are a nation that has a great many people who care more about weapons than our fellow citizens. That is a sad state of affairs to care more about an inanimate object than human beings. I honestly have no ability to be able to process that kind of thinking. We have a good deal of soul-searching to do as a country because we should never, ever have to worry about this kind of stuff.

The only way you go to no deaths from guns is to ban guns.  Just like you go from no deaths from automobiles by banning automobiles, and no deaths from obesity by banning forks.

There is a level of deaths Americans will accepts to allow, at the very least, hunting.  People need to be honest about that. 

Which is to say, if you number is 1, or 10 or 100, I disagree with you.

• Hook 'Em 1

I remember when I used to argue online against stricter gun control measures after mass shootings. This was in like 2004 when we’d only seen a few of them. 

Anyone who still feels the need to do so after every mass shooting we have is a sick sonofabitch.

• Hook 'Em 2

"But for the AR 15 type weapon used by today's assassin, he would not have been able to mow down 10 innocent people as efficiently as he did. That's the part some of you ignore."

This is the debate that just seems senseless to me.  There is no reason for having assault rifles, some that can be converted to full auto and hold 50 round magazines.  If you are worried about home defense get a 12 gauge pump.  

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s bizarre how little we know about this shooter at this point. 

What do we know about the Las Vegas shooter? Because I have a lot of blank spaces in the notes. Lack of a discernible motive is a recurrent theme.

@AnTiM what about the hogs? 50 marauding porcine purveyors of perniciousness. Gotta have that 223 tumbler round for that. 

Edited by cactusflinthead

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

What do we know about the Las Vegas shooter? Because I have a lot of blank spaces in the notes. Lack of a discernible motive is a recurrent theme.

Hard to attribute a motive to nutcases.  This business in Atlanta causing people to demonstrate against violence toward women just seems stupid.  Violence against any innocent person is stupid, and all the demonstrations in the world are not going to stop it.

• Drool 1

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I remember when I used to argue online against stricter gun control measures after mass shootings. This was in like 2004 when we’d only seen a few of them. 

Anyone who still feels the need to do so after every mass shooting we have is a sick sonofabitch.

There are people on this board that used to argue against gun control even at the cost of innocent deaths. They’re still here but don’t bother to even talk about gun rights any more. I imagine theyre still 100% in favor of anyone owning any gun without background checks but they know their belief/argument sucks.

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s bizarre how little we know about this shooter at this point. 

17 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

@AnTiM what about the hogs? 50 marauding porcine purveyors of perniciousness. Gotta have that 223 tumbler round for that. 

Grocery store mask signs, perhaps? That seems to upset people these days.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Pure bullshit.

My ownership of guns doesn't impact you.  Period.  Unless you happen to be some place/ act in a way you should not.  That's the part you fuckers ignore.

Blame forks for obesity.  Blame guns for crimes against other people.  It's idiotic.   

Fuck you and your American entitlement.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Dotard's razor. The stupidest answer is probably right. 

Not saying you are. Mask madness is as likely as anything else

We also had the Arizona resident holding up National Guardspeople transporting vaccines because he thought they were trafficking people or something, so pandemic + Q + Fox Corp isolation seems to be in an upward spiral of psychotic behavior.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Lemonlime read my mind....
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

31 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Grocery store mask signs, perhaps? That seems to upset people these days.

Maybe?  Probably?  I'm also wondering about vaccines.  I saw a bunch of MAGAts walking around my neck of the woods with signs saying "Vaccines are made with aborted fetal cells."

Edit to add: Also the Bill Gates chip, Q crap.

Edited by lemonlime

Just now, lemonlime said:

Maybe?  Probably?  I'm also wondering about vaccines.  I saw a bunch of MAGAts walking around my neck of the woods with signs saying "Vaccines are made with aborted fetal cells."

Somebody please send these assholes to a country where polio and smallpox are still a problem

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

This is another reason to abolish the filibuster. A solid majority of the country approves of more gun restrictions, and this includes a lot of gun owners. Pass universal background checks, waiting periods, red flag laws, improve mental healthcare, and magazine limits, and hopefully that makes a difference.

This gun owner supports all of the above. Those things don’t infringe on the rights of any middle class white responsible gun owner in a material way.

fifa

8 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Anyone want to guess what the wait for a bed for competency restoration at the state hospital is right now?

I’ve got a client who’s been waiting for 6 months in our jail. I suspect it’ll be another several months before he’s transferred.

Republicans don’t care about working the problem. Just like immigration and abortion, they just want the issue to run on because it’s the easiest red meat for them to chop up. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AnTiM said:

"But for the AR 15 type weapon used by today's assassin, he would not have been able to mow down 10 innocent people as efficiently as he did. That's the part some of you ignore."

This is the debate that just seems senseless to me.  There is no reason for having assault rifles, some that can be converted to full auto and hold 50 round magazines.  If you are worried about home defense get a 12 gauge pump.  

I think it's too late. There are already millions of assault rifles out there. The horse has left the barn.

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I think it's too late. There are already millions of assault rifles out there. The horse has left the barn.

Each death committed by an AR 15, or similar weapon, is a death that is simply what the GOP wants.  They are the ones that specifically provided for the gun manufacturers to create a new pipeline of weapons SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO ONLY KILL HUMANS.  

And yes there are millions of them out there, and they would not be out there is not for the specific desire, approval and direction of the GOP.

It's really too damn bad that there is a solution that works in other countries and we are just too goddam stupid and stubborn to do it.  Define what type of weapons are legal to own, turn in the others and prosecute the living shit out of violators.  There are only two problems with this solution:  it makes sense and it would work.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, AnTiM said:

It's really too damn bad that there is a solution that works in other countries and we are just too goddam stupid and stubborn to do it.  Define what type of weapons are legal to own, turn in the others and prosecute the living shit out of violators.  There are only two problems with this solution:  it makes sense and it would work.  

Shit, Beto lost his senate run on saying that people shouldn't own AR-15's. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Good to know that we can now get back to the never ending stream of angry well armed white men slaughtering the citizenry. Along with the usual thought and prayers of the GOP while High Fiving the gun manufacturers.

Tbh and only partially kidding, I'd have expected a multitude of these occurrences during The Great Toilet Paper Drouth of '20 when tempers were flaring over the Charmin. But as I stated before, the longevity of the seemingly never ending pandemic, combined with a host of other issues, now being eased slightly is being exacerbated by the frothy right wing news media. People, including the perhaps not quite sane, are blowing off steam but not in healthy ways.

We could really use a national project. I'd have thought the vaccines and people volunteering for that might work, but it's been too riven with pro and con viewpoints. I don't know, pick up litter? Plant a tree? Something outside and for the beauty that is America.

Jeremy Herko, a friend, said he met Talley at the Community College of Aurora’s Police Training Academy in 2010. Herko said Talley had a job in information technology and a master’s degree, but decided to become an officer after a close friend died in a DUI crash.

“It was remarkable to me that somebody would go to law enforcement from IT,” said Herko, who is now a lieutenant with the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office. “He lost pay. He lost time away from his family. He joined the police academy without a guaranteed job.”

But Talley thrived after joining the police, Herko said. “He absolutely loved his job and wanted to serve the community despite my best efforts to talk him out of it,” he said.

Source: WaPo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Jeremy Herko, a friend, said he met Talley at the Community College of Aurora’s Police Training Academy in 2010. Herko said Talley had a job in information technology and a master’s degree, but decided to become an officer after a close friend died in a DUI crash.

“It was remarkable to me that somebody would go to law enforcement from IT,” said Herko, who is now a lieutenant with the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office. “He lost pay. He lost time away from his family. He joined the police academy without a guaranteed job.”

But Talley thrived after joining the police, Herko said. “He absolutely loved his job and wanted to serve the community despite my best efforts to talk him out of it,” he said.

Source: WaPo

I have to wonder how many people this good there are in our country?  One in ten thousand maybe?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We also had the Arizona resident holding up National Guardspeople transporting vaccines because he thought they were trafficking people or something, so pandemic + Q + Fox Corp isolation seems to be in an upward spiral of psychotic behavior.

It'd be funny if the very people who were most concerned about the government taking their guns were the ones who were red flagged in background checks due to their beliefs in conspiracy theories. This shooting literally happened the same day Sidney Powell's lawyers argued you'd have to be crazy to believe her #stopthesteal claims. 

27 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Help me out here - how would those ideas negatively impact non-middle class people of color?

Not the ideas themselves as much as the implementation. In the same way that nobody really argues against the idea that only people who are allowed to vote should vote. They argue (rightfully) that the implementations proposed for those ideas would disproportionately affect those in the lower income brackets who also tend to scew more towards minorities. I'm all for implementing a universal background check system that is free and can take place between two law abiding citizens without otherwise inconveniencing them. Such a system has been proposed and rejected by both parties.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

why does this matter?

Shit gets real tense in this country when a brown person commits an act of terror. I'm going to have to get my emergency kit and put on my American flag shirt and jacket.

• Rage+1 1

Also, I thought one of the guests on Brian Williams last night made a good point- the 1/6 Insurrection likely would have been a lot worse had it not been for DC's strict gun laws.

The MAGA crowd that stormed the Capitol was full of militia activists, gun rights activists, Oath Keepers, etc...- groups known for being armed and advertising it- yet very few of these "bad guys" brought their guns into DC. 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

huh?

Are you brain damaged? I don't understand what is so hard to understand. White people get suspicious and angry at middle eastern Americans when a middle eastern commits an act of terror. We have to go out of our way to remind everyone that we are also patriots and no one has anything to fear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Since I've moved to Denver, I've been curious as to why, if anything, creates such extreme violence here.  I have no answers.  My heart goes out to the concentric circles of impact starting with the family and loved ones of the murdered souls.  This stuff is gross sadness and all over the news here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Are you brain damaged? I don't understand what is so hard to understand. White people get suspicious and angry at middle eastern Americans when a middle eastern commits an act of terror. We have to go out of our way to remind everyone that we are also patriots and no one has anything to fear. 

holy shit dude.  Its pretty apparent I'm not the one who is brain damaged.  where the fuck do you live?

4 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I hear you.  There is an impact for you guys, too.  Hang in there.

Edited by Doc Holliday

2 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

Since I've moved to Denver, I've been curious as to why, if anything, creates such extreme violence here.  I have no answers.  My heart goes out to the concentric circles of impact starting with the family and loved ones of the murdered souls.  This stuff is gross sadness and all over the news here. 

35 Reasons Why 'The Shining' Still Makes Us Scream Forever | The shining,  Best horrors, Horror movies

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

huh?

2 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Because some people can look at Joe the white neighbor and think 'ho hum', and some folks can look at Yoseph or Juan or Muhammed the nonwhite neighbor and think 'shouldn't be here':

Agnypost.thumb.png.f382bd7d6894a329cba4b46e63c8f361.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread