2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Everytime Texas bunted, which was about five times a game, the moneyball crowd would flip out. 

I just watched Moneyball for the first time the other day yet I was annoyed often with the bunting so I’m not sure if I fit your group or not. And I’m not anti-bunting. We didn’t hit and run or attempt to steal enough for my tastes. That may be the key to this years offense - movement on the base paths.

I do think Augie was more aggressive come post-season though, which is preferable.

In-game strategy is somewhat of crapshoot in baseball as it comes back to who makes the man versus man play. I always gave Augie more credit for his pregame preparation than in game strategy. At least offensively. Sorry, Chris Carmichael in 2002 doesn’t change that. Getting that mindset right is more important anyway cause that’ll get you through some strategery decisions.

Two games is not enough to tell us much for this season. Long way to go. Baseball always has up and downs. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, petscii said:

Augie had his detractors as well.  Every once in a while the DUI will be trotted out...

And 2012-2016 was some of the worst Texas baseball I've ever seen. Minus 2014. That team was so frustrating but shit they turned it on when it counted. Would've loved to see what Pierce and Tulo would've done with that group of bats

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

If you know what is going to happen go to Vegas. 

I am not quite as terrified of the glories of Big 10 Baseball as you seem to be.

Yeah we're gonna be fine. This is nuts. Remember our 2018 and 2021 teams? Yeah they didn't get off to a fast start either. Pierce knows this is a marathon, not a sprint. Hence why we're playing 3 really good teams to start the year. It'll pay dividends down the road

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

What has Pierce done to deserve to be so hated? I don't get it.

Can't recruit. We have this team because these are the players he recruited. This guy will never wina nc...although that's probably the easiest prediction one could make.

The best part about the early SEC move is that it will hasten his departure.

Hate on me all you want it's just going to make it that more painful when he fails miserably in that League.

• Fuck You 2

I hope/think Pierce is taking the Vic Schaefer/Mike White approach to the season. Young, takes some time to gel, takes some lumps early but get hot late and make a postseason run. 

No one predicted we’d make the WCWS finals last year after we opened the season playing like a clown car defensively and losing to highly ranked teams.  Same with Vic’s two E8 runs where we took some lumps with freshmen and transfers learning to play in college and play together. 

morgan freeman quote GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m not on the Pierce bandwagon, but if he keeps getting us to Omaha 60+% of the time, then we can’t get rid of him.  
Not sure how much say/influence he had for that Air Force transfer, but landing him would have changed the outlook on the season tremendously.  Every available resource should have been used to out-NIL any competition and I’m not so sure how good of a NIL-salesman/fundraiser Pierce is.  Thought I remember something about him not having full support of some of the alumni??

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I hope/think Pierce is taking the Vic Schaefer/Mike White approach to the season. Young, takes some time to gel, takes some lumps early but get hot late and make a postseason run. 

No one predicted we’d make the WCWS finals last year after we opened the season playing like a clown car defensively and losing to highly ranked teams.  Same with Vic’s two E8 runs where we took some lumps with freshmen and transfers learning to play in college and play together. 

morgan freeman quote GIF

Yeah this is just what he does. We started off slow in ‘18 and ‘21 and went to Omaha. Started off slow in ‘17 and turned into a pretty salty team come the end of the year. If that team had DJ or Silas, they probably go to Omaha. It’s baseball. The way Pierce recruits and develops rosters, I’d be kind of shocked if he didn’t win it all at some point during his tenure here 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

People who try to get upset about baseball recruiting are funny. So let me get this straight, he can’t recruit because of how this years team looks but we should just ignore how the previous 2 years the team was literally 90% home grown talent that he recruited? 

We just signed a top 10 class this year even if we lose a guy or two to the draft, have a borderline top 10 class in 2024 despite having fewer commits than anyone in the top 10 and the #1 class in 2025 with 8 top 100 commits.

In our worst season under Pierce (2019) we went 4-2 against SEC teams so feel free to shove that opinion up your ass.

”This guy will never win a nc”. Really going out on a limb there considering 98% of coaches never do and 95% of coaches never sniff the college World Series once, yet alone 3 times in 5 years.

Tell me about the class before this year?  Pierce has no bats on the roster, they might not score 6 runs in a game all season.  It’s Texas you have all the resources and reputation, you should go to World Series every year. This year they might have a losing record.  

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’ll go a friendly $50 they don’t score more than 6 in conference or vs a power 5 school more then three times.   never was a bit far.  

Power 5 isn't really a thing in baseball and we play Indiana next weekend.  Just saying.

32 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’ll go a friendly $50 they don’t score more than 6 in conference or vs a power 5 school more then three times.   never was a bit far.  

Kansas was the worst offense in the Big 12 last year based on runs per game and in conference play alone, they scored 6 or more six times.

Where can I get in on this bet?

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kansas was the worst offense in the Big 12 last year based on runs per game and in conference play alone, they scored 6 or more six times.

Where can I get in on this bet?

You got it.  I’ll gladly pay and would like to be wrong but nothing we have seen so far says otherwise.  

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

You got it.  I’ll gladly pay and would like to be wrong but nothing we have seen so far says otherwise.  

Just to confirm because I counted it up. We have 34 games remaining against “P5 teams” (I included Fullerton, Indiana and Texas State because they are good).

You do not think we will score 6 or more runs in more than 3 of these 34 games?

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just to confirm because I counted it up. We have 34 games remaining against “P5 teams” (I included Fullerton, Indiana and Texas State because they are good).

You do not think we will score 6 or more runs in more than 3 of these 34 games?

Yea that works but I get to takeout one of those, so no Indiana.  I’m probably wrong but I’m committed now.  Lol.  

33 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

More than 6 not just 6, right?

Yes more.  

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Pierce has no bats on the roster, they might not score 6 runs in a game all season.  It’s Texas you have all the resources and reputation, you should go to World Series every year.  

CWS every year? Tell me you know nothing about baseball (especially COLLEGE Baseball) without saying you know nothing about College Baseball. Congrats, that is one of the STUPIDEST comments I have ever seen on Shaggyx2,... now Surly.

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

6 in conference or vs a power 5 school more then three times.   never was a bit far.  

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

I was just trying to exclude ND State, CC, Mercer, ect.  

16 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m probably wrong but I’m committed now.  Lol.  

Yes more.  

Never to 6 or more....🤣

back up beach GIF by Nonnahs Marketing

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

CWS every year? Tell me you know nothing about baseball (especially COLLEGE Baseball) without saying you know nothing about College Baseball. Congrats, that is one of the STUPIDEST comments I have ever seen on Shaggyx2,... now Surly.

Never to 6 or more....🤣

back up beach GIF by Nonnahs Marketing

If you don’t think Pierce with the resources he has should have more talent this year that’s much dumber then what I said from what we have seen this year and the experts expect.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

If you don’t think Pierce with the resources he has should have more talent this year that’s much dumber then what I said from what we have seen this year and the experts expect.  

NIL is nothing but free agency College sports on steroids.

I really wanted Skenes to come here ( and seeing our atmosphere here in multiple games no doubt influenced him in his decision in using his option to transfer) but once he announced, there was other schools that threw everything at him, LSU (where he went) especially.  We've had plenty of prima donnas ( not saying this particularly about Skenes) come here and not produce or live up to their billing, You have to want to come here to compete against the best, and a lot of times that means you ARE COMPETING for a starting spot in the lineup.  

This is still college baseball and guys want (need) to go where they can not only play but also start. NIL has upped that x10 fold. And scoring 6 runs or more in baseball doesn't f*cking matter, you only need to win by one run. This park especially, was built around pitching and even though the first thing Pierce did here, even before he coached first game, he moved the fences in. The Disch is still a pitcher's ballpark. Get the right guys on the mound and you don't need 6 runs. 

And your comment is still one of the stupidest here, not dumb.

20 hours ago, Fletch said:

He’s not Augie. That’s pretty much it 

No there’s definitely been issues with Pierce and some decision making. Baserunning and not handling pitchers properly are at the top of the list. The results speak for themselves though. He needs to get over the hump and be better in the non Omaha seasons though 

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Get ready to see A&M Corpus Christi’s Friday night starter on Tuesday. They only threw him 2 innings in his first start of the year. Zach Garcia. Another lefty. He threw 4 innings against us last year and allowed 1 run.

It was cold as fuck in corpus last year.

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s Texas you have all the resources and reputation, you should go to World Series every year. This year they might have a losing record.  

Gus:  58.6%

Augie:  40%

Yeah, David Pierce should make Omaha 100% of the time.  What an absolutely mind-numbingly stupid thing to say.  Tell us you know jack shit about college baseball without . .. . well, you know

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

No there’s definitely been issues with Pierce and some decision making. Baserunning and not handling pitchers properly are at the top of the list. The results speak for themselves though. He needs to get over the hump and be better in the non Omaha seasons though 

That's actually pretty much what I meant. By saying "he's not Augie" I was insinuating that he's got some flaws but gets the job done. I just didn't say what you did cause I'm lazy as fuck. You should know this by now

13 minutes ago, petscii said:

In before the schedule is too hard comments

I have not seen one person say this or expect to see one person say this.

We have upcoming series against mighty Indiana, Cal State Fullerton, Manhattan and New Orleans with midweek games against A&M Corpus Christi, LSU, Sam Houston State, Mercer, two games against North Dakota State and Incarnate Word. Not exactly murders' row outside of LSU and a solid Mercer program that won 40 games last year.