2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Looking back at the box scores from the 2021 opening weekend in Arlington and I had forgotten that Landon Sims came in relief for Mississippi State in game 1 and struck out 10 in 4 no-hit innings lol.

That dude was our kryptonite. 

Texas couldn't hit for shit that weekend.  Every pitcher we faced looked like Cy Young material.

55 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s only a matter of time before a college program makes a damn good pitching coach hire. Adrian Alaniz, Sinton HS head coach 

very good listen 

https://fb.watch/iGxCrUi8GU/?mibextid=unz460

2005 Omaha is my greatest sports memory.

Just incredible watching that team do what they did after all the adversity. Specifically the pitching staff.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

was anyone here at the Omaha icehouse celebration party ?

I wouldn’t have been old enough for that.

What’s the famous steakhouse that the winners used to eat at after the CWS? That’s the place we went for postgame.

We did run into Clayton Stewart, Carson Kainer, Cat Osterman and a couple others at some pizza place that night so that was cool.

Edit: apparently not a steakhouse. Italian. Mr. C’s

Edited by hobbes2702

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I wouldn’t have been old enough for that.

What’s the famous steakhouse that the winners used to eat at after the CWS? That’s the place we went for postgame.

We did run into Clayton Stewart, Carson Kainer, Cat Osterman and a couple others at some pizza place that night so that was cool.

Edit: apparently not a steakhouse. Italian. Mr. C’s

They refer to a lot of the traditional steakhouses in Omaha as Italian steakhouses, as they often serve a pasta dish as a side to the steak.  Mr. C's was one of these...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2023 at 1:19 PM, torre said:

Went to the website to verify sellouts - all sold out.     Noticed the price of a GA Season Ticket is only $99 which is likely the reason for the sellout.

In the past,  there has sometimes been an announcement "we have a limited amount of tickets that will be available at the box office prior to the game."    Don't know if that will still hold true except for SRO.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/22/tickets_0722131531.aspx

Season Tickets

Really annoying. I can realistically only go to one game a week (well until the Regionals and Supers, then I go to every game) so I don't want to buy season tickets and in the past getting tickets from UT was never a problem. 

Ah well guess I get to deal with stubhub this season.

On 2/13/2023 at 1:19 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Looking back at the box scores from the 2021 opening weekend in Arlington and I had forgotten that Landon Sims came in relief for Mississippi State in game 1 and struck out 10 in 4 no-hit innings lol.

That dude was our kryptonite. 

Yeah. Though he was also most teams' kryptonite.

23 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

So, do we know how the infield is shaping up? 1st, 3rd and SS?  I assume a freshman and a transfer will likely be in two of those spots? 

Jared Thomas at 1st, Jalin Flores at 3rd, and Daly at SS. O'Dowd at 2nd. So two Freshmen.

For now anyway.

Edited by Valmy77

Per David Pierce, these are the starters against Arkansas on Friday:

C — Ryan Galvan/Garrett Guillemette

1B — Jared Thomas

2B — Jack O’Dowd

3B — Jalin Flores

SS — Mitchell Daly

CF — Eric Kennedy

RF — Dylan Campbell

LF — Porter Brown

And here’s your starting rotation for opening weekend:

Friday — Lucas Gordon

Saturday — Zane Morehouse

Sunday — Travis Sthele

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I might be completely wrong on this but I think Sthele is going to have a solid year. Didn't think it would be in the rotation but his stuff was really good the first 2 months of last year before he just ran out of gas. Maybe it had something to do with it being the first year coming back from TJ.

58 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Per David Pierce, these are the starters against Arkansas on Friday:

C — Ryan Galvan/Garrett Guillemette

1B — Jared Thomas

2B — Jack O’Dowd

3B — Jalin Flores

SS — Mitchell Daly

CF — Eric Kennedy

RF — Dylan Campbell

LF — Porter Brown

And here’s your starting rotation for opening weekend:

Friday — Lucas Gordon

Saturday — Zane Morehouse

Sunday — Travis Sthele

If they get Whitehead or Beyleu some time at DH, this will be one of the more athletic lineups we've had in recent memory. 

If Kennedy and Campbell stay healthy and don't combine for 50ish+ steals, I'll be surprised.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I might be completely wrong on this but I think Sthele is going to have a solid year. Didn't think it would be in the rotation but his stuff was really good the first 2 months of last year before he just ran out of gas. Maybe it had something to do with it being the first year coming back from TJ.

Not a great sign for Hurley. Anyone read any reports on how he did in the fall? I thought for sure he’d be a weekend guy. 

I’m going to choose to be optimistic and take this as good news re: Sthele. Maybe Hurley can be an overqualified midweek guy. 

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

If they get Whitehead or Beyleu some time at DH, this will be one of the more athletic lineups we've had in recent memory. 

If Kennedy and Campbell stay healthy and don't combine for 50ish+ steals, I'll be surprised.

Do you think Powell is gonna get some AB’s this year at DH? Been dying for him to get some more play his whole time here. Dude has some serious power 

1 hour ago, Terry Cinco said:

Not a great sign for Hurley. Anyone read any reports on how he did in the fall? I thought for sure he’d be a weekend guy. 

I’m going to choose to be optimistic and take this as good news re: Sthele. Maybe Hurley can be an overqualified midweek guy. 

Shit will change. Kubicheck was a weekend starter to open the year in 2021. Curious to see how Woody and Pierce manage our staff this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Fletch said:

Shit will change. Kubicheck was a weekend starter to open the year in 2021. Curious to see how Woody and Pierce manage our staff this year. 

Yeah the baseball season is long and things change a lot before things get set. Look back at any season, the line up and rotation at game 1 often seems bizarre compared to how we know the season ends up going.

13 hours ago, Terry Cinco said:

Welcome to the jungle (forum) !

Hurley's issue at USC was walks which Pierce detests.   iirc,  he walked in a run in the Alumni game and had 2-3 walks.   Not really uncommon for a 6'8" pitcher who needs to master his delivery.  

Bullpen has a "goldmine" of talent.   Just needs development.  We are countin' on you Woody !  (realize development is said every year)