How do you cope?

hookem2010

1 hour ago, ONE YARD said:

just curious, why is that?  

Because during the pandemic a fuck ton of people decided to disconnect from the screens and find time outdoors.  This is overall a good thing.  But for those of us that chose that pre-pandemic, it's a giant pain in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Definitely this.  It enrages me that my children's generation may well carry the burden of having to fucking save the world.  But it also heartens me, because I actually think their generation might be up for the job.  I'm just so sorry to be handing this sow's ear to them and telling them to turn it into a silk purse.

Verdad.

Fuck the schmucks who throat the liars.

Edited by Willfully Horn
That/who

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

europe is as stable as usual.

Europe, generally speaking, is stable but I still wouldn’t feel comfortable living in Eastern Europe, especially in those countries that share a border with Russia. And IMO, Western Europe (especially NATO) stability is very much dependent on America’s military largesse and economic assistance via our status as the top importer of EU goods. If, as some believe, America will soon cease to exist as a democracy, then I wouldn’t bet on Europe remaining stable for any length of time.

On a semi-related note, you would think it would be stressful living next door to a hyper-aggressive Russia, but evidently the Finns don’t stress out about it, as evidenced by the fact that they are continually ranked the highest in Gallup’s World Happiness Report.

The reason I bring Finland in this discussion is because despite the fact that Finland has to contend with a dangerous and unpredictable Russia; and despite the fact that the Finns continually have to prepare to defend their country against a real threat, they seem to manage the stress pretty well.  Better than we do, anyway. The danger to their democracy is genuine, whereas some of the so-called threats to our democracy are purely imaginary.  

Tl;dr. The Finns are better at chilling out than we are.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

just curious, why is that?  

I could go on about the plight of birds for a long time. Populations have plummeted in North America by something like 30% in the last 40 years (habitat loss, outdoor cats, window strikes, dramatic decrease in flying insects, climate change, etc.). Hiking and camping are obviously still doable, but the season for it in Texas seems shorter every year and you pretty much have to travel to the Big Bend region or Easter piney woods to get more than a mile or so from a road. The west is on fire more often than not and the remaining protected areas are at risk of losing protection (see Grand-Staircase Escalante/Bears Ears NM, lots of places in Alaska under Trump), while the quality of land around NPs and national forests is constantly being degraded, concentrating outdoor enthusiasts and wildlife in smaller and smaller spaces.

Globally, wildlife populations have decreased by 2/3's in the last half-century. The premier wildlife and natural landscapes on every continent are vanishing, whether I make it to those places one day or not.

So basically I need to develop some indoor hobbies.

Edited by hookem2010
  • Rage+1 4

10 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Sadly, my hobbies are birding and hiking/camping. Those things are becoming more scarce and difficult to do by the day. 

Birding? Did you ever see the movie The Big Year? That was based on a guy I knew from my tiny hometown in Ohio. I didn’t really know him well. He was a lot older. But his family was friends with my family and he had a younger brother who was the same age as my older brother.

/csb 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, used2b said:

As a woman, I appreciate men who chose to pay attention to what is happening. It is easy not to if it doesn't affect you.

You know what sucks? My mom was a nurse and she doesn’t really seem to be concerned about women’s rights or public health. It’s maddening. 

• Rage+1 1

Haha, yea I received it as a gift right after I started birding and was inspired to do my own county-level "big year" after watching it. I got into it in the first place because Houston-area hiking can be rather monotonous and is entirely lacking in megafauna.

I see a lot of recommendations in this thread to turn off the news, ignore it, and try to focus on family, etc. 

I get it. It’s depressing what is happening. But that isn’t really the American way is it? Americans force change. Americans have proven time and again that they can overcome the wrongs of this country. 

So, while it’s very difficult emotionally, I say do the exact opposite. Get more involved with politics. Volunteer. Let people know exactly where you stand. Campaign tirelessly for people who share your vision for the future. Force change for the better.

For me personally, I believe there are enough moderate people in this country to take control of government from the extremists. People just need to grow a pair instead of hiding from the fight. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I find a bit of solace in knowing that generations of humans found some degree of happiness and contentment after the collapse of the world they knew, living in the ruins of Rome.  Ruins they may not even have recognized.  And they created beauty and saved precious things and erected eternal buildings and despite the unfortunate name “Dark Ages,” helped to invent the beautiful, majestic, turbulent, flawed Western civilization that may be running its course.  Or maybe just transforming. 

Of course there were also a lot of people tortured and butchered because they didn’t conform to the teachings of the Catholic Church. And many precious things that were saved, like the writings of the Greek philosophers, were saved by the Muslims who were the more enlightened and tolerant culture of that time.

The Dark Ages lasted for hundreds of years. Much longer than American constitutional democracy which may very well pass into the dustbin of history in 2024 if we’re not careful.

16 hours ago, Biggus Duckus said:

Yep.  We've been told our whole lives that America is the greatest country in the world, and worth fighting for.  What about when it's not the greatest country in the world by most metrics, and trending downward?

Run. 

15 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

This is kind of texags prepper outer fringe speak (to me). What is going to get so bad that an adult child needs to fly from a foreign country to rescue their parents. I'm not trying to be salty, just curious as to the mindset. 

Freedom. What would you do for actual freedom? What would you do if you lived in Russia, but we’re raised in the US?

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I see a lot of recommendations in this thread to turn off the news, ignore it, and try to focus on family, etc. 

I get it. It’s depressing what is happening. But that isn’t really the American way is it? Americans force change. Americans have proven time and again that they can overcome the wrongs of this country. 

So, while it’s very difficult emotionally, I say do the exact opposite. Get more involved with politics. Volunteer. Let people know exactly where you stand. Campaign tirelessly for people who share your vision for the future. Force change for the better.

For me personally, I believe there are enough moderate people in this country to take control of government from the extremists. People just need to grow a pair instead of hiding from the fight. 

I generally agree. Ignoring it is a huge part of what got us here. I fight with my wife about it regularly. 

but I’m not Oscar Schindler. I don’t have the means to truly save lives. I also have a kid. Ignore the idea of fleeing the country. But what should I do if I want to raise him in an environment where woman have equal rights? Stay in the US? Eh…

here’s the problem with politics in the US…no one worth a shit wants to do if. Smart and capable people go make easier money with less public facing bull shit. You’re left with assholes and reality tv bullshit 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, used2b said:

As a woman, I appreciate men who chose to pay attention to what is happening. It is easy not to if it doesn't affect you.

I was going to say, as a white male with a solid income, it’s pretty easy to cope. 

58 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Run. 

Freedom. What would you do for actual freedom? What would you do if you lived in Russia, but we’re raised in the US?

I generally agree. Ignoring it is a huge part of what got us here. I fight with my wife about it regularly. 

but I’m not Oscar Schindler. I don’t have the means to truly save lives. I also have a kid. Ignore the idea of fleeing the country. But what should I do if I want to raise him in an environment where woman have equal rights? Stay in the US? Eh…

here’s the problem with politics in the US…no one worth a shit wants to do if. Smart and capable people go make easier money with less public facing bull shit. You’re left with assholes and reality tv bullshit 

That’s why the revolution will come from young people, just like the civil rights movement, etc. They’ve got nothing, and everything, to lose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I fish, sail, scuba and surf to cope, I chase the fish and the sun. Here’s the problem, I was extremely politically active for about 5 years and it broke me. I tend to be extreme at times in my efforts - just go all out - so now I’m kinda checked out to cope doing what I love - being outdoors - the problem is climate change is becoming a confrontational problem, even scuba diving in Tahiti where the reefs are still healthy comes with a sense of doom and a stark comparison to the shadow of a healthy reef system in the Caribbean. I went fishing last night and the Llano was stagnant, full of algae and the water was 85 degrees. The fish are in heat shock and hiding. They don’t get AC. We went surfing on Thursday night and warm summer nights are replaced with boiling summer nights it didn’t become bearable until after 8pm and that’s with a breeze, a couple of degrees less because of the water and even being wet from jumping in. It’s only June. The natural world is essentially on fire. I heard of an environmental activist who killed himself over climate change. I get it. I’m seriously distraught - and that’s just climate. I’m not even ready to talk about having to move to another state and reject my identity as a Texan just so my wife can easily make and trust she will be allowed to make medical decisions and inherit my shit. Don’t get me even thinking about the concept of my body my right which was annihilated yesterday or my teenage sons and their reproductive life being female adjacent. Oh my fucking God there is no way to healthily cope.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

I fish, sail, scuba and surf to cope, I chase the fish and the sun. Here’s the problem, I was extremely politically active for about 5 years and it broke me. I tend to be extreme at times in my efforts - just go all out - so now I’m kinda checked out to cope doing what I love - being outdoors - the problem is climate change is becoming a confrontational problem, even scuba diving in Tahiti where the reefs are still healthy comes with a sense of doom and a stark comparison to the shadow of a healthy reef system in the Caribbean. I went fishing last night and the Llano was stagnant, full of algae and the water was 85 degrees. The fish are in heat shock and hiding. They don’t get AC. We went surfing on Thursday night and warm summer nights are replaced with boiling summer nights it didn’t become bearable until after 8pm and that’s with a breeze, a couple of degrees less because of the water and even being wet from jumping in. It’s only June. The natural world is essentially on fire. I heard of an environmental activist who killed himself over climate change. I get it. I’m seriously distraught - and that’s just climate. I’m not even ready to talk about having to move to another state and reject my identity as a Texan just so my wife can easily make and trust she will be allowed to make medical decisions and inherit my shit. Don’t get me even thinking about the concept of my body my right which was annihilated yesterday or my teenage sons and their reproductive life being female adjacent. Oh my fucking God there is no way to healthily cope.

If I’ve seen anything from your socials, you are living your best god damn life regardless of the world being on fire around you and I love that for you 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If I’ve seen anything from your socials, you are living your best god damn life regardless of the world being on fire around you and I love that for you 

Yes and thank you but I do so with all of this shit swirling in my head. I laugh and chase good times because I’m terribly distraught. I don’t laugh and have a good time because I’m a joyous person.  A river choked with algae is not a good sign. I guess I want the world to be right again and when the natural world is out of balance nothing can be in balance. I actually think that is a fundamental and inescapable truth. Politics as awful as rhey are, are not eternal and immovable - though maybe in my life time it’s done - but the natural world and the truths about it are immovable.

I guess I’ll cope by playing Midnight Oil, Beds are Burning loud enough to break my ears.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

With the country and planet falling apart? I think I've been dysthymic for the last 5-6 years when I realized that despite occasional victories politically, environmentally and even personally, the world was in all likelihood going to become a worse place to live the longer I was around. With climate change already readily apparent and 40% of the country living in an alternate universe, these feelings have only intensified.

Do you become more involved, despite the seeming futility? Live it up while you can? Watch the collapse with detached curiosity? Drink?

Having just had my first kid, the desire to work to improve things has become greater, yet I also have profound sadness knowing he will grow up in a world more difficult than I did.

This thread is absolute gold.....

1 hour ago, troph said:

Yes and thank you but I do so with all of this shit swirling in my head. I laugh and chase good times because I’m terribly distraught. I don’t laugh and have a good time because I’m a joyous person.  A river choked with algae is not a good sign. I guess I want the world to be right again and when the natural world is out of balance nothing can be in balance. I actually think that is a fundamental and inescapable truth. Politics as awful as rhey are, are not eternal and immovable - though maybe in my life time it’s done - but the natural world and the truths about it are immovable.

I guess I’ll cope by playing Midnight Oil, Beds are Burning loud enough to break my ears.

I've basically accepted that we've gone past the tipping point for climate.  Gaia will equalize on her terms.  I think our political problems are going to look quaint in a few years/decades.  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've basically accepted that we've gone past the tipping point for climate.  Gaia will equalize on her terms.  I think our political problems are going to look quaint in a few years/decades.  

Clearly we're past the point of no return for serious consequences. It would be great if we could avoid global catastrophe though, but not looking great on that front.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Troph….maybe try what I’ve done. Let it turn to rage and hate.
I’m not saying it’s healthy. I’m just saying that’s what I’ve done.

meh, rage and hate are too exhausting. my preference...

5110RZ8nQWL.thumb.jpg.b0d1e5dd3f0afb09841bdd27e60f6a27.jpg

and weed. lots of weed.

A remote island in Tahiti a fucking atoll in the middle of nowhere more isolated than anywhere else not otherwise outside Earth’s orbit - guess what was there - a beach on the windward side littered with plastic.  And it’s not even near the great garbage patches. How do we cope? Fuck if I know. Glad some find it funny, I don’t.  

@Valmy77 has it right, I almost mentioned baseball too but they kinda took that away from us this year too (don’t look now either). 

my only hope is we do make some changes and the earth takes advantage and rapid heals similarly to how it rapidly devolved. 

I’ll cope better if these recent DOJ subpoenas and FBI raids lead to arrests. 

I’ll cope better with single use plastic bans like what Canada did. 

I’ll cope better if we actually start acting courageously and do something. 

• Hook 'Em 1