Austin FC

Bottlecap

They left Juan in a Million an hour ago and there's no sign of where they are next.  I'm about to head to a lunch meeting on the East Side and want to swing by their next stop.  I'm not on twitter and it's a pain in the ass to keep reloading their twitter mobile webpage.  Anyway, look forward to grabbing some schwag. soon.  Thanks to anyone with insight on next stop(s). 

Barra Brava was 1/3rd of the support at RFK.  Screaming Eagles 2/3rds.  Orlando.  Not MLS 1.0.  Not MLS 2.0.  Not MLS 3.0.  Not relevant to the discussion regarding the development of the league and the cabal.  Galaxy: when 50% of your market is Latino, you are going to have Latino fans, hard or soft.  Been to Galaxy/LigaMX matchups.  Latino Galaxy fans disappear when the homeland comes to town.  Dynamo: the anglo and latino support fought each other as much as they fought Dallas supporters. The dehydrated gift of an MLS Champion Qlashquakes also asterisks all Houston support metrics and dynamics from day 1.  Burn at the Cotton Bowl: founding member of the Inferno.  Moved to center stripe mid-98 and joined up with the Salvadorans, core of about 50.  No other substantial latin support until shockingly the move to Frisco when the latin core split off from the Inferno.  Original drum corps was led by Javier (latin, obviously).  The other 5 were anglo.  Chicago: Polish Dogs.  Can't comment on the others.  I can tell you this: the online presence of support leadership in MLS 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 was 95% anglo.  Attended Burn away fixtures in all MLS 1.0 and 2.0 cities.  Latin support was not prevalent or leading in BOS, EWR (metro), CMH, MIA, TPA, DEN and SJC.  DCA and LAX were the only outliers with any significant Latin-led support.

It helps when the team is good. El Matador has grown like crazy this year. Even have quite a few whites with us.

One thing this year that sticks out is MLS banning some solid SG's. Sector Latino, 101, San Jose Ultras the group in DC and Toronto had a group banned. We have been a final warning by FC Dallas FO. They even get pissed about cussing in the Beer Garden now. They seem to want the suburban mom crowd not the drum banging supporters

I'm only a casual MLS follower, but it seems to me like the league has actually hit it's stride with relatively well-off urban 20- and 30-somethings. The stereotypical (new) MLS fan in my mind is a dude with a beard in Portland. Maybe it varies a lot by market.
Even if I'm right on that, it still supports your point that downtown stadiums would be a better fit than exurban ones. Come to think of it, that's pretty much always true with the exception of the NFL, for which it doesn't matter at all for various reasons.

That has definitely been the case in Atlanta. There are a ton of what I guess you could call “alt” sports fans that are the hardcore fan base. No reason to think it won’t be the same in Austin.

• 2 weeks later...

'Delicate situation' re: COTA's relationship with Ryan Sanders Baseball potentially blocking Austin FC's temporary use of Dell Diamond?

MLS to Austin: Precourt, city progressing toward contract https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/mls-austin-precourt-city-progressing-toward-contract/4WeJW9tNRRxhIusRHfXxxI/

MLS to Austin: Precourt, city progressing toward contract

Lawyers for Precourt Sports Ventures and the city of Austin are rolling along in turning the term sheet the City Council approved last month into a full-fledged contract that will result in a Major League Soccer stadium at McKalla Place. 

McKalla Place stadium document draft may be ready in two weeks.

City-identified sites don’t appear to be in running for training complex.

Lawyers for Precourt Sports Ventures and the city of Austin are rolling along in turning the term sheet the City Council approved last month into a full-fledged contract that will result in a Major League Soccer stadium at McKalla Place.
A lot of fine-tuning was required because there were so many changes to the original term sheet presented to council members.

“We have begun drafting the lease and development agreement,” said David Green, media relations manager for the city. “Thanks to the approved term sheet being so detailed, we anticipate making good progress on it during the month of September.”

MLS lobbyist Richard Suttle, who works for PSV, said there have not been any significant hangups.

“The drafting schedule is on target, and I think we may see something by the 18th, and then we’ll look to red-line it.,” Suttle said. “We hope it can all be wrapped up by early October.”

Suttle did not have any updates on a temporary two-year facility where Anthony Precourt’s MLS team could play while the stadium is being built in North Austin, but he said conversations are taking place with possible partners.

PSV has cast a wide net for a training complex, which is believed to include private property.

Two weeks ago officials from Round Rock and the Capital Area Youth Soccer Association, which owns 200 acres along U.S. 290 east of Manor, told the American-Statesman they have held talks with PSV.

It does not appear as if Precourt will try to tap into the five sites identified by the city staff last December for a potential training home: Burger Center, Bolm District Park, Walnut Creek Sports Park, Guerrero Colorado River Park and the Travis County Expo Center.

“We have not had any discussions with PSV in regards to a practice facility, at least as of last week,” Green said.

Suttle said he knew of no conversations between Precourt and city officials.

The Round Rock Express, a potential suitor for a temporary stadium, continue to tread lightly. Team officials want to book more quality events at Dell Diamond, but they aren’t sure how much soccer they can pull off.

“We want to showcase our venue,” Express General Manager Tim Jackson said. “We’ve still got to figure out what we can do.”

Complicating matters is the Triple-A baseball team’s affiliation agreement with the Texas Rangers ending. The negotiating window will open Sept. 16. Are the World Series champion Houston Astros, for instance, or the Rangers, willing to share the park with an MLS team?

There’s also a delicate situation involving Austin Bold FC, the USL expansion team that will play in a new facility at Circuit of the Americas. Ryan Sanders Baseball, which owns the Express, has the concession contract for COTA and that facility.

“We have to be sensitive to that,” Express President Chris Almendarez said. “It’s one more factor to consider.”

Edited by wood

Anyone know if the RR Express going back to the Astros effects FC Austin's potential 2019 homefield? Earlier articles said that was "complicating" things, but I'm not sure what the actual impact would be.  Is CDC cool with leasing Myers? 

Last night I dream I watch FCA beat the hated Dallas Burn after a 2-2 tie by notching a 4-3 win in the old running 35 yard hockey shootout. 

Point Austin: Dark Money, Sunlight, and Political Soccer Games https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2018-09-21/point-austin-dark-money-sunlight-and-political-soccer-games/

Soccer for Sale
In the mayor's race, among Adler, former Council Member Laura Morrison, and now a host of others, the dark money issue is a bit more tangential, although it involves one of Morrison's designated issues – the charge that the plan to enable Major League Soccer at McKalla Place is a "boondoggle" subsidy for the private interests who own the Columbus Crew (aka the would-be "Austin FC"). If you're following that ongoing argument, you've likely noticed something called NoSoccerSubsidy.com running ads in the Chronicle, online, and elsewhere, denouncing "Adler's sweetheart stadium deal" with Crew owner Anthony Precourt. Setting aside the specific arguments – opponents say it's a bad deal, the mayor insists it's a good one – it's not at all apparent who No Soccer Subsidy is, who is funding them, or if they shouldn't be filing campaign finance reports for the mayoral race. The ads (placed in the Chronicle through an agency, so we don't know who paid for them), web page, and Facebook page are professionally produced, and leave no opportunity for feedback or questions. The messages I posted to their Facebook page were not returned.

Speculation over who funded the ads includes soccer competitor Bobby Epstein out at Circuit of the Americas, and the various web content suggests that at least some support comes from Columbus fans who are mightily upset at their team's pending departure. The sudden appearance of the late filers in the mayor's race also raised eyebrows – and increased the possibility of a low-turnout run-off. I asked Todd Phelps, the best known of the new contenders, if Epstein et al. were among the "recruiting" business interests who he says persuaded him to run. He says no, and added that he'll win any run-off.

Went to the Hispanic Chamber gala last night. Huge event with 800+ people. Mayor Adler sent a shoutout to Austin FC during his remarks and a cheer came up from the crowd when their logo came on the screen. There’s a ton of excitement about this.

Reminder about the big supporters group party on 9/29 from 4 to 6. Team will also be there with merch.

Indy Austin is circulating a petition for a May vote that would kill the stadium by requiring a public vote on the building permit as well as require super majority approval by the council for shit. A super majority isn't super democratic. It's a way for the minority to usurp power.

DoG51l2XsAAsXCe.jpg:large

16 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Indy Austin is circulating a petition for a May vote that would kill the stadium by requiring a public vote on the building permit as well as require super majority approval by the council for shit. A super majority isn't super democratic. It's a way for the minority to usurp power.

DoG51l2XsAAsXCe.jpg:large

These fucking guys ... or I should probably say 'this fucking guy'. How many signatures do they need?

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Can someone summarize the deal as it now stands into a handful of bullet points.   What i read about the earlier versions of it didn't seem like the taxpayers were getting ripped off in the least.  

They aren't, esp compared to the way they're getting ripped off by an existing big sports venue in the area. I'll let someone more knowledgeable sum up the McKalla deal for you though...

Today's party was amazing. We were hoping for 150, and we had both Jack & Ginger's and the patio at Dogwood packed to the gills. CM Flannigan showed up in a tux, stood in a chair and delivered an electric speech. This thing is going to happen and it's going to be glorious.

Next official organizational meeting is November 4. Check out https://www.facebook.com/AustinAnthem/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

I just want to buy some Austin FC merch. Shut up and take my money. 

I actually work for Austin FC merchandising.  I’m in charge of it.  It’s a glamorous position.  if you send me money I’ll make sure you get some bumper stickers. 

If you thought this was fun, way until you see how bad Leslie Pool fucked up the kickback they offered her.  She's gonna end up making Dawna Dukes look competent at extortion. 

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2018/10/indyaustin-raises-funds-to-fight-precourt-adler/?fbclid=IwAR2NtQRRBrdEh5FQ6JhbSNjXQoLYxJ-QueWZBMf95gap3D1l1bCjLpdd8ZE

The largest contributors to the campaign are Irving Kessler, who gave IndyAustin $20,000, and Joel Hechler, who donated $5,000. Kessler, who lists his occupation as “former investment manager,” has been identified as an investor in the Circuit of the Americas.

David Butts, a political consultant with ties to both Mayor Steve Adler and Precourt, told the Austin Monitor that Hechler is a friend of Circuit of the Americas founder and chairman Bobby Epstein. Hechler lists his occupation as “former investor.” Epstein worked in the financial industry before becoming involved with Circuit of the Americas.

Epstein, of course would prefer that the city have one soccer team, located at Circuit of the Americas.

IndyAustin leader Linda Curtis said Wednesday that she does not know either Kessler or Hechler. However, she noted that each of them asked that their contributions be used only for the campaign to put the soccer question on the ballot. And that money has been sequestered, she said.

So Hechler is Epstein's buddy, too. 

And Kessler isn't just an investor or a friend of Epstein, he's on the COTA Board.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=272933314&privcapId=128107011&previousCapId=128107011&previousTitle=COTA Racing & Entertainment LLC

Background

Mr. Irv Kessler serves as a Director of COTA Racing & Entertainment LLC.

Corporate Headquarters

9201 Circuit of the Americas Boulevard
Austin, Texas 78617

Something is up

http://radio.wosu.org/post/saved-crew-fans-announce-developments-soccer-saga#stream/0

#SaveTheCrew is now #SavedTheCrew. But we don't yet know what that means.

One year after Columbus Crew owner Anthony Precourt announced plans to move the franchise to Austin, Texas, the Save The Crew movement seems to have an announcement of its own. Details are scarce, however.

On Friday afternoon, the Save The Crew account on Twitter posted a picture that declared "Saved The Crew," in the past tense, and said "We ALL did this. Together." They said a formal announcement will come "in the near future" on official league channels.

Members of Save The Crew gathered at Endeavor Brewing to await the news, erecting a banner that declared "We Ain't Goin' Nowhere" and drawing a visit from Crew player Josh Williams.

From what I can gather from the MLS reddit thread:

The Crew's "technical" franchise will be moving to Austin with Precourt, but the Browns owner is buying an "expansion" franchise and keeping the players, name, records, etc, in Columbus.

Effectively, Austin is getting an expansion team.

If true, it's a positive outcome for all. Austin's team doesn't come at the expense of one of the original franchises, which is good. I'll wait to see what happens.

• Like 1