Austin FC

Bottlecap

41 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

I'm curious (not curious enough to look it up) to see how Texas Stars attendance ranks. 

I went to quite a few Ice Bats games back in high school and that was a pretty rabid fan base with a great environment - sold out every time I was there.

*HEB center holds 6,863 and some of the teams in the league average over 8,000 a game so they have bigger arenas 

30 AHL teams

texas stars ranking

17-18  17  5,290

16-17  18  5,111

15-16  20  5,067

14-15  17  5,002

13-14  16   5,294

12-13   19  5,146

11-12   15  5,470

10-11   14  5,340

09-10   10   5,355

Edited by Firemans4Horn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

*HEB center holds 6,863 and some of the teams in the league average over 8,000 a game so they have bigger arenas 

30 AHL teams

texas stars ranking

17-18  17  5,290

16-17  18  5,111

15-16  20  5,067

14-15  17  5,002

13-14  16   5,294

12-13   19  5,146

11-12   15  5,470

10-11   14  5,340

09-10   10   5,355

And that's HOCKEY.  ^^^

I really didn't think Austin was going to get this done.  Look for the opposition to shift to lawsuit mode via some group like the SOS Alliance.  I'm sure they're busy searching for their next Salamander or Golden-Cheeked Warbler.

As for the name, I'd go with 

Austin Embiggen FC

23 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I really didn't think Austin was going to get this done.  Look for the opposition to shift to lawsuit mode via some group like the SOS Alliance.  I'm sure they're busy searching for their next Salamander or Golden-Cheeked Warbler.

As for the name, I'd go with 

Austin Embiggen FC

Back in the SOS days, I really wanted to print up some t-shirts that said, "Pave Our Springs."

My plan was to run for student government on a platform of paving Barton Springs and turning it into C-parking.  

But then I ordered another pitcher at The Posse, and that plan foundered.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Back in the SOS days, I really wanted to print up some t-shirts that said, "Pave Our Springs."

My plan was to run for student government on a platform of paving Barton Springs and turning it into C-parking.  

But then I ordered another pitcher at The Posse, and that plan foundered.

One thing I always wondered about, where was the posse West?

Am I reading the map correctly, the "Domain Stop" on the light rail is still a good 15-20 minute walk from the proposed stadium site.  Maybe a bit more depending on fan egress.  Won't mind it, we do it for football all the time.  Im just picturing logistics (or lack thereof) for some of the busier summer month matches

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

The Kramer stop is less than 1/2 mile from the property.  I really depends on if there is access to the property from the north side off of Braker.

giphy.gif

A focused, but casual walking speed is 3 mph for an adult. If they are going 1/2 mile, that means that they could complete that distance 6 times in one hour. So divide 60 miles by 6 and you get 10 minutes.

A slower casual walk, perhaps with kids, would be 2 mph. If they are going 1/2 mile, that means that they could complete that distance 4 times in one hour. So divide 60 miles by 4 and you get 15 minutes.

So that walk should take 10 to 15 minutes.

46 minutes ago, wood said:

According to this, it will ... 

McKalla-Place.jpg

Event Parking should have a roof (be covered), whether it is one level or more. Then, on top of that roof, there should be 5x5 mini-fields for youth teams, development, and possibly even adult rental/adult leagues.

If you are going to have "affordable housing" nearby, you are going to have kids without nannies and hundreds of expensive lessons & tutors after school to take up their time. These kids might even be looking for an outlet for youthful energy and/or a safe place to play. Having after-school soccer activities would be a smart addition to the local community... and it wouldn't be the worst way to identify young talent.

Hopefully that's already been stated by PSV.

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

The Kramer stop is less than 1/2 mile from the property.  I really depends on if there is access to the property from the north side off of Braker.

Right now the only direct route from Kramer Station to the site is along the tracks which is covered in fist sized rocks.  Then you’d have to cross Braker with no light nearby.  It’d probably take right at 10 minutes (I’ve walked it before).  If you want to walk on sidewalks, you’re probably looking at 15-20 minutes (Kramer to Braker).  There’s a connector bus that loops from the station to the Domain, ACC and Pickle, so swinging by the stadium doesn’t seem too indirect on game days.

With all the consternation about parking and walking, I mapped out my usual route for Longhorn game day. It’s 1.5 miles from the lot to the stadium. And it never seems all that bad. I don’t know why opponents refused to acknowledge how many similar situations there are with events all over town.

30 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

With all the consternation about parking and walking, I mapped out my usual route for Longhorn game day. It’s 1.5 miles from the lot to the stadium. And it never seems all that bad. I don’t know why opponents refused to acknowledge how many similar situations there are with events all over town.

Yeah mine is about 1 1/4 mile. No big deal. I enjoy the walk, and I actually prefer it over parking closer because it's easier to park and because of all the congestion getting out after the game when you park closer.

Edited by wood

So sounds like if they get their shit together, it's 10 minutes for a grown man.  But if I'm taking my family, we're probably talking closer to 20 minutes?  That's along the lines of football, but is certainly something we'll keep in mind before buying tickets.  No fucking way I'm making that drive and dealing with parking in the area.  

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

To be fair, small kids are a pain in the ass if they are within a mile of you.

This is very true.

I make the walk with two elementary-school aged boys. No big deal, but you do have to walk slower. I just always pack an extra beer or two for the walk if they are coming.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

This is very true.

I make the walk with two elementary-school aged boys. No big deal, but you do have to walk slower. I just always pack an extra beer or two for the walk if they are coming.

Yep. I've always found that if I give 'em a couple beers for the walk, they're a lot more fun to be around.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

The walk from the existing rail station to mckalla is not a nice one. Big street with lots of traffic, non existent sidewalk in some places, and it's industrial. Oh and beer on your walk isn't going to happen.

Burnet road is set to get a lot of improvements from the 2016 bond. That corridor is going to be a lot better by the time the stadium opens.