Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

Just now, Satchel said:

Chuckle, you believe a conference commissioner would be dumb enough to try to fix games undetected against an outgoing member, and you think my post is low IQ.

Yes, I think the conference commission who is dumb enough to say this shit outloud is precisely the kind of dumbass who would actually try to fuck with our games.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Yes, I think the conference commission who is dumb enough to say this shit outloud is precisely the kind of dumbass who would actually try to fuck with our games.

Would you feel better had he been disingenuous and displayed more stealth like that shown by the  UT and OU brain trusts when plotting to leave the Big 12?  UT and OU are lame duck members. They’re happy and so are Big 12 schools. What’s the big deal?

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Would you feel better had he been disingenuous and displayed more stealth like that shown by the  UT and OU brain trusts when plotting to leave the Big 12?  UT and OU are lame duck members. They’re happy and so are Big 12 schools. What’s the big deal?

The dumb part about that argument is that you are asserting if Tech were to get the type of lucrative offer UT and OU did that they would have acted any differently. The self righteousness is absolutely astounding considering all of the schools who have cashed in on the money that Texas and OU have brought in last 20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I don't think it is normal behavior. I guarantee if the comish was actively rooting for Texas to beat Tech you wouldn't be cool with it.

But, whatever, it is par for the course with this conference.

We've still got games to play, we'd love to have the illusion that the Conference was unbiased in the outcomes.

Edited by Jasper_Jester
  • Hook 'Em 1

Who gives a fuck what he thinks? Play the games, watch the games, have fun, talk shit. It's not that serious. I especially have no desire to argue irrelevant minutia with, nor pay any mind to aggro cretins with 30 posts that'll be gone the instant Texas loses a game this season and neither should you.

What's done is done, if you expected the red carpet rolled out for Texas on the way out, you're as delusional as aggy. I don't know what else to tell you. Whining about like a little kid with a skinned knee it isn't going to change anything. Crying about Tech fans posting in a thread about Tech isn't going to bring back your dead dog or whatever you're pissed about that day either, shut the fuck up and stop being a pussy.

Ultimately, none of this matters at all and everyone is probably going to end up happy. Well, probably not OU, I think they're going to end up in the trash end of the SEC but that's another conversation.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

The dumb part about that argument is that you are asserting if Tech were to get the type of lucrative offer UT and OU did that they would have acted any differently. The self righteousness is absolutely astounding considering all of the schools who have cashed in on the money that Texas and OU have brought in last 20 years. 

I asserted nothing of the kind. The only reason I responded initially was to make light of the umbrage taken by you at Yormark’s anodyne remarks. He spoke candidly in support of a conference member. UT and OU acted in the best interests of their schools. I guess self righteousness is in the eye of the beholder. 

53 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

I don't think it is normal behavior. I guarantee if the comish was actively rooting for Texas to beat Tech you wouldn't be cool with it.

But, whatever, it is par for the course with this conference.

We've still got games to play, we'd love to have the illusion that the Conference was unbiased in the outcomes.

If Commissioner Sankey declared tomorrow his desire to have UT and OU beat every B12 team into the ground on their way out the door, I would view that as him advocating for the new members of his conference. That’s what he’s supposed to do. As to your comment about normal behavior - what that is supposed to look like anymore in college football is anybody’s guess. I hear Stanford is trying to join Louisville in the ACC.

Edited by Satchel

Nary a game has been played, and there is a Pity party in the Tech thread about the refs and Big XII not liking a particular program, but not by Tech fans.

Interesting.

Poor fucking Texas.  Maybe someday something will go your way, you silver spoon-up-your-ass motherfuckers.  You poor guys just can't get a fair shake any more...

Edited by slorch

Talk all the shit you want, it's the crying, moaning, and conspiracy theories that get old.

You might think it sounds reasonable, but to everyone else it just sounds like a built in excuse for a 14th straight disappointing season. Everyone else reads that shit, rolls their eyes, and says "here we go again..."

Edited by Brian Fantana

Your boy slorch continually references the preferential treatment Texas receives. That thought is prevalent too. Much of it based on bullshit.

Over the past 10 years, there’s exactly one call that’s pro-Texas that impacted a game significantly in our favor. There are likely others but far fewer than against Texas. As a fan there is no doubt you focus on how you’ve been wronged.

But 2019 Big 12 champ. 2021 OU. 2015 OSU. I’m not saying last years OSU game was terrible but the hold on Jones was horrible given the way the game was called. Bama had some too (and I don’t even give a shit about the safety/not a safety).

You should forgive the human nature bit when stuff pops up again and brings up bad memories for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Your boy slorch continually references the preferential treatment Texas receives. 

False.  I call out the perception by Texas fans that they are getting fucked, when if you ask virtually ANY other fanbase, they would agree Texas gets the calls more often than not.  50/50 calls.  Conference decisions.  The notion that Texas is some benevolent conference mate who cares so deeply about others.

I don't have a problem with who Texas is.  Texas has the advantages to overcome officiating or obstacles that impede other programs.   I do call out what some fans claim Texas is or gets treated like.    If you disagree that it's an element of why other schools hate Texas, then you just don't like reality.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

False.  I call out the perception by Texas fans that they are getting fucked, when if you ask virtually ANY other fanbase, they would agree Texas gets the calls more often than not.  50/50 calls.  Conference decisions.  The notion that Texas is some benevolent conference mate who cares so deeply about others.

I don't have a problem with who Texas is.   I do call out what some fans claim Texas is or gets treated like.

Whether Texas is benevolent or not is irrelevant. The other members of this conference have benefitted from our presence yet have always bitched incessantly about us. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its just so fucking odd/pathetic/par for the course from this bullshit conference. Any Tech fans defending this shit by the commish, answer me this:

Have you ever seen any conference commish, ever, actively root for one team over another?

IDGAF what the commish says.  It's about as relevant as preseason polls.

Just play the fucking games.

Just now, Bevo14 said:

Whether Texas is benevolent or not is irrelevant. The other members of this conference have benefitted from our presence  the wealth of the state of Texas yet have always bitched incessantly about us. 

Correct.

I certainly hope that those saying there is no reason to get excited about Yormark's comments are correct. That would seem extremely Pollyanna-ish to me, however. I challenge anyone with a brain to evaluate the penalty statistics of the crew that called the Baylor and OSU games last year and tell me with a straight face that bias against Texas played no significant role in those games. I repeat the question asked above: when has any commissioner of any serious sports league (let alone two senior officials) ever actively cheered publicly against member in good standing? This is how powerful men get their henchman to do bad things while maintaining plausible deniability. He doesn't need a conspiracy: he has already made his Henry II plea. It is a breach of his fiduciary duty, if not in law, at least in decency; there are literally millions of dollars on the line in multiple ways associated with success on the football field. Hospitals that do things like this regarding disfavored physicians in good standing on their staff lose or settle big suits. I'm no lawyer nor am I advocating suing the B12. I am saying that there is statistical evidence that Texas needs to watch its corn hole, and there is public oral testimony by the commish against himself.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

I don't have a problem with who Texas is.  Texas has the advantages to overcome officiating or obstacles that impede other programs.   I do call out what some fans claim Texas is or gets treated like.    If you disagree that it's an element of why other schools hate Texas, then you just don't like reality.

Bullshit.

Yes, ask other fan bases. They don’t like Texas and believe we get the calls. We don’t. I live in a Big 12 city. I’ve heard the bogus bullshit time and again.

Texas has the advantages to overcome. Yeah, sorta maybe. I happen to have a bit more respect for the small town, 3 * than most. There are a shit ton more than 25 good prospects per year but that’s the biggest drawback for most teams - they can’t get the higher end “talent” but never mind the endless stream of mediocre talents like Drew Brees or LT that somehow make it to the NFL anyway.

Coaching is the most important element. As I’ve matured, that has become even more apparent. The truth of the matter is that most Texas schools have underachieved, but we only want to put that at Texas doorstep. If Leach and Briles can do it, others can as well.

I don’t particularly give shit about Yormarks comment. I am not concerned about refs screwing us over this year. Wouldn’t put it past them, but they have subtlety done fine the last handful of years giving us the short end of the stick.

8 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Who gives a fuck what he thinks? Play the games, watch the games, have fun, talk shit. It's not that serious. I especially have no desire to argue irrelevant minutia with, nor pay any mind to aggro cretins with 30 posts that'll be gone the instant Texas loses a game this season and neither should you.

What's done is done, if you expected the red carpet rolled out for Texas on the way out, you're as delusional as aggy. I don't know what else to tell you. Whining about like a little kid with a skinned knee it isn't going to change anything. Crying about Tech fans posting in a thread about Tech isn't going to bring back your dead dog or whatever you're pissed about that day either, shut the fuck up and stop being a pussy.

Ultimately, none of this matters at all and everyone is probably going to end up happy. Well, probably not OU, I think they're going to end up in the trash end of the SEC but that's another conversation.

If he's willing to show bias once he will do it again. When it's your school on the other side of it somehow i think you will find it to be a bigger deal. Part of his job as commissioner is to be a professional. To create an air of legitimacy. To bring credibility. That's what will build your conference. Not this. You should not support this clown shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Not a single Texas fan expects a red carpet. I keep seeing this blabbered and it makes zero sense - how is that your genuine read of the situation?

As for the people "being a pussy" about this, the vast majority of UT fans responding to (much less, even aware of) Yormack's comment are diehard CFB fanatics. All care about their own team, but most also love the sport in general. A fundamental pillar of CFB, like all sports, is fair competition.

At minimum, regardless of what school you support, we should all be able to agree on these things without debate:

1. Biased officiating is directly at odds with fair competition and threatens the integrity of all sports, CFB included.
  2. Officiating bias is not a conspiracy, instances have been exposed at both the amateur and professional level.
  3. Bias in any setting (sports or otherwise) is often motivated by financial reasons and, when within a company or other organization, starts at the top (management).
  4. CFB involves and is increasingly influenced by incredible sums of money.
  5. Any given conference's refs are trained, reviewed, managed, employed (and reprimanded or fired) and paid by the conference.
  6. That relationship in (5) puts each conference in a position of influence over its refs' actions on the field.
  7. In matters not requiring the vote of conference members/schools, the commissioner of any given conference is the ultimate "boss," and conference officiating is one of those matters. 

If true that we can agree on all that, absent hatred for UT or your own fandom clouding things, I don't know how you could then deny that Yormack saying what he did does matter. That it was a public display of bias, bias that could (arguably should) be expected to flow to "his" referees and risk any game involving UT or OU not being a fair competition. A direct attack on the integrity of the game. Even taking off my burnt orange glasses, I would be pissed if the tables were turned and he had said the same thing about TTU, ATM, Baylor, etc. instead of UT, or another conference's commissioner had said it about any two of its members.

TV networks, colleges and their own financial and other interests have negatively influenced CFB in many ways, but do you know the critical distinction? At least it does not directly influence individual outcomes of plays during the 60 minutes on field. Fuck anyone, anything, that threatens the actual integrity of those 60 minutes. Those minutes are the "game" we all love (changing the conference patches on uniforms doesn't means shit). Double fuck anyone that makes that threat publicly, brazenly and with a smug, shit eating smile.

Any true fan should want a conference and its refs to do everything in their power to support a fair competition, a glorious contest of modern-day gladiators where the best team that day wins or loses by actual play on a perfectly level field — not influenced by some jilted corporate bureaucrat putting thumbs on the scale in response to realignment decisions made years ago or the future financial interests of shareholders. That sort of influence is precisely what threatens the joy of the fan experience as you put it: "playing the games, watching the games, having fun, talking shit."

So yeah, if you couldn't tell by this novel, I care. It's serious, relevant and matters. What is done may be done, but backlash should be expected and any true fan of CFB should take issue or at minimum not publicly endorse (or downplay) a conference behaving in this way, assuming they aren't too stupid to recognize the broader implication and/or set aside their own bias. You're right that fans and media calling out Yormack's attack won't bring the proverbial dead dog, but at minimum it signals to commissioners that this type of mindset and action is not acceptable and fundamentally at odds with the role conferences have and the sanctity of the game.

If caring about CFB and fair competition in sports and calling out a threat to those makes me a pussy, consider me Hope Solo's meat flaps. Though I would say you're the pussy for condoning what Yormack did and actively discouraging others from calling out his bullshit, for being too chickenshit or dumb to recognize why it should be offensive (and concerning) to all CFB fans or at least respecting those who do after it's been explained.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Not a single Texas fan expects a red carpet. I keep seeing this blabbered and it makes zero sense - how is that your genuine read of the situation?

As for the people "being a pussy" about this, the vast majority of UT fans responding to (much less, even aware of) Yormack's comment are diehard CFB fanatics. All care about their own team, but most also love the sport in general. A fundamental pillar of CFB, like all sports, is fair competition.

At minimum, regardless of what school you support, we should all be able to agree on these things without debate:

1. Biased officiating is directly at odds with fair competition and threatens the integrity of all sports, CFB included.
  2. Officiating bias is not a conspiracy, instances have been exposed at both the amateur and professional level.
  3. Bias in any setting (sports or otherwise) is often motivated by financial reasons and, when within a company or other organization, starts at the top (management).
  4. CFB involves and is increasingly influenced by incredible sums of money.
  5. Any given conference's refs are trained, reviewed, managed, employed (and reprimanded or fired) and paid by the conference.
  6. That relationship in (5) puts each conference in a position of influence over its refs' actions on the field.
  7. In matters not requiring the vote of conference members/schools, the commissioner of any given conference is the ultimate "boss," and conference officiating is one of those matters. 

If true that we can agree on all that, absent hatred for UT or your own fandom clouding things, I don't know how you could then deny that Yormack saying what he did does matter. That it was a public display of bias, bias that could (arguably should) be expected to flow to "his" referees and risk any game involving UT or OU not being a fair competition. A direct attack on the integrity of the game. Even taking off my burnt orange glasses, I would be pissed if the tables were turned and he had said the same thing about TTU, ATM, Baylor, etc. instead of UT, or another conference's commissioner had said it about any two of its members.

TV networks, colleges and their own financial and other interests have negatively influenced CFB in many ways, but do you know the critical distinction? At least it does not directly influence individual outcomes of plays during the 60 minutes on field. Fuck anyone, anything, that threatens the actual integrity of those 60 minutes. Those minutes are the "game" we all love (changing the conference patches on uniforms doesn't means shit). Double fuck anyone that makes that threat publicly, brazenly and with a smug, shit eating smile.

Any true fan should want a conference and its refs to do everything in their power to support a fair competition, a glorious contest of modern-day gladiators where the best team that day wins or loses by actual play on a perfectly level field — not influenced by some jilted corporate bureaucrat putting thumbs on the scale in response to realignment decisions made years ago or the future financial interests of shareholders. That sort of influence is precisely what threatens the joy of the fan experience as you put it: "playing the games, watching the games, having fun, talking shit."

So yeah, if you couldn't tell by this novel, I care. It's serious, relevant and matters. What is done may be done, but backlash should be expected and any true fan of CFB should take issue or at minimum not publicly endorse (or downplay) a conference behaving in this way, assuming they aren't too stupid to recognize the broader implication and/or set aside their own bias. You're right that fans and media calling out Yormack's attack won't bring the proverbial dead dog, but at minimum it signals to commissioners that this type of mindset and action is not acceptable and fundamentally at odds with the role conferences have and the sanctity of the game.

If caring about CFB and fair competition in sports and calling out a threat to those makes me a pussy, consider me Hope Solo's meat flaps. Though I would say you're the pussy for condoning what Yormack did and actively discouraging others from calling out his bullshit, for being too chickenshit or dumb to recognize why it should be offensive (and concerning) to all CFB fans or at least respecting those who do after it's been explained.

I'm just going to go ahead and get this inevitable response out of the way:

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jp

• Haha 1

No UT fan can bitch about officiating to a Tech fan.  The body of work of officiating between our games has heavily favored UT.  The worst example was 2006 in Lubbock where the officiating was so blatantly biased for UT it became obvious early there was nothing Tech could do to win the game.  Countless games in Austin where either Bible or Christal or both would call the most egregious calls that went in UT's favor.  Also the game at UT where they knocked out Potts with an obvious helmet-to-helmet violation and nothing was called.  2010 in Lubbock (I think was the year) was another one that was crazy blatant that it was something out of a movie it felt like (though 2006 was probably even worse than that).

UT has been the beneficiary of so much ref bias over the years that a couple of times they didn't get it (and I admit that one OSU game in Austin was bad), all of a sudden it's a giant conspiracy against them.  So easy for them to whitewash the DECADES of ref bias that went in their favor.

but you will soon be SEC's problem, and all I can say is, good riddance.  I've never seen the conference so united as it is now, and it's not a coincidence that UT leaving helped facilitate that.

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Fuck Joey McGuire for those “So-called Blue Bloods” comments

Yeah, but you are butthurt because you know it has a ring of truth to it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

No UT fan can bitch about officiating to a Tech fan.  The body of work of officiating between our games has heavily favored UT.  The worst example was 2006 in Lubbock where the officiating was so blatantly biased for UT it became obvious early there was nothing Tech could do to win the game.  Countless games in Austin where either Bible or Christal or both would call the most egregious calls that went in UT's favor.  Also the game at UT where they knocked out Potts with an obvious helmet-to-helmet violation and nothing was called.  2010 in Lubbock (I think was the year) was another one that was crazy blatant that it was something out of a movie it felt like (though 2006 was probably even worse than that).

UT has been the beneficiary of so much ref bias over the years that a couple of times they didn't get it (and I admit that one OSU game in Austin was bad), all of a sudden it's a giant conspiracy against them.  So easy for them to whitewash the DECADES of ref bias that went in their favor.

but you will soon be SEC's problem, and all I can say is, good riddance.  I've never seen the conference so united as it is now, and it's not a coincidence that UT leaving helped facilitate that.

A top 60 athletic dept talking shit about arguably the best ath. dept. in the nation. Ummmkay

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I've never seen the conference so united as it is now, and it's not a coincidence that UT leaving helped facilitate that.

I think it's more likely that the leftover schools are united because they have no other choice rather than all of a sudden they have achieved Nirvana over the UT inferiority complex. 

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

image.thumb.png.b5444469e166e6cb3502e070c1a7d319.png

ktf.gif

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

#5 in all-time wins, #8 in all-time national championships, and the only team in this state to win a football championship since World War II and we’ve won 4 of them. Yeah we’re a blue blood.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Not going to watch the replays and fact check you, but I'm sure UT has been the beneficiary of many bad (or missed) calls over the years. Bias may have played a part in some or many of those instances. Don't think anyone is debating that.

However, there is a difference between bitching about officiating and bitching about the conference head, who presides over the conference officials, making a public statement of bias against a specific team. "Saying the quiet part out loud" so to speak, and in doing so removing a lot of the plausible deniability that any given bad call is just a bad call, not biased officiating. Though I get if you can't understand the distinction. 

Edited by derpyhorndog
derp
  • Hook 'Em 4

EMBRACE THE HATE

Nice to see Joey get involved...

McGuire, without naming the schools, referred to OU and UT as "these so-called bluebloods — and I really question that. One of them's really good in Olympic sports."

McGuire credited Yormark with thinking outside the box and stabilizing the Big 12.

"I know he has a plan to close the gap," McGuire said, "but part of my job is to close it even faster. He said it: Part of my job is to make that team in burnt orange — if that's really a color — if that team leaves, then make sure that they're going to a conference that they can no longer compete in this conference with teams that are in this conference."

"There is an opportunity to put the Red Raiders at the forefront of this conference," McGuire said, "and I don't want to wait 'til 2024 when it's a new conference. It's more important to do it in 2023 when those old two are still here so they can understand exactly who runs the Big 12."

46 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

I find your ideals fascinating, can I subscribe to your newsletter?

This is a prime example of opposing fans bullshit.

The only example you even cite was the type of hit that wasn’t really called at that time.

What year did Leach whine? I was in Lubbock shortly thereafter hearing a Tech fans discussing it as gospel. It was wrong. There was justification for every single call.

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

1. However you want to spin it, a conference commissioner cheerleading for one conference member over another is bush-league bullshit for obvious reasons: it implies favoritism and an uneven playing field. It’s petty and a bad look. Maybe games will be officiated fairly, there probably is no conspiracy, but all a conference commissioner accomplishes by saying this publicly is the casting of doubt on the league’s integrity. It’s childish at best (and corrupt at worst).

2. McGuire isn’t particularly original with the “take aim at Texas” schtick. That’s what Briles did and others have used that playbook too. Again, it comes off as petulant and contrived. But it’s one thing for a coach to blather to his constituents about it in a pep rally setting; that’s just playing to your crowd, and is fine. A conference commissioner doing it  is unprofessional and, again, petty. 

Yormark is just playing up to his audience, but I don't disagree that it's a bit over the line. He should probably dial it back. It's just silly ass words, though, I don't understand why people take it so personally.

And yeah, Joey M is just doing the same, but in a context that's far more appropriate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

That bullshit by the commish is interesting.   

1) we expected to get fucked by the refs but the commish is openly rooting against texas is a new low.  Fuck this conference.   I say we run it up anytime we can and publicly throw the bush league under the bus every chance we get.  When they start throwing out fines,  tell them to go fuck themselves.  When they threaten to withhold distributions bury their ass in law suits for fiduciary breach,  tortious interference and whatever else the boys can come up with.  

2) Whatever chance Tech had in the Horns looking past that game is gone.   Undefeated or .500,  belmont is going to want an ass beating.  

Bellmont ain't the only one, brotha.

38 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

#5 in all-time wins, #8 in all-time national championships, and the only team in this state to win a football championship since World War II and we’ve won 4 of them. Yeah we’re a blue blood.

We claim 4 and we have had 2 since 1970. Not exactly something I throw in peoples faces at the office.

That and just about anyone can claim a 'chip, especially prior to the BCS era. Hell, Alabama quietly added 5-6 championships to their history in the 1980s and people just kind of laughed at that.

Edited by redswingline

45 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

I think it's more likely that the leftover schools are united because they have no other choice rather than all of a sudden they have achieved Nirvana over the UT inferiority complex. 

The only program in the B12 with an inferiority complex is / was TCU. I assume that was largely attributed to the butthurt that TCU held onto since the SWC breakup days. That and having coach phatterson take that butthurt and run with it.

11 minutes ago, redswingline said:

We claim 4 and we have had 2 since 1970. Not exactly something I throw in peoples faces at the office.

That and just about anyone can claim a 'chip, especially prior to the BCS era. Hell, Alabama quietly added 5-6 championships to their history in the 1980s and people just kind of laughed at that.

I don’t think it’s throwing it in “peoples” faces. Only to a tech fan that acts like he knows what a blue blood actually is. Coming from a fan of a program that’s never won a national championship in any of the three major college sports…that’s rich.