Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

31 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

I don’t think it’s throwing it in “peoples” faces. Only to a tech fan that acts like he knows what a blue blood actually is. Coming from a fan of a program that’s never won a national championship in any of the three major college sports…that’s rich.

I agree a Tech fan has little if any ground to throw darts.

Their best conference finishes in the past 12 years are 5th in 2015 and 4th last year, so they have that going for them.

As far a peoples faces, I meant that since our last title was nearing 20 years ago I don't often go there with people at the office when we start arguing about football.

17 minutes ago, redswingline said:

I agree a Tech fan has little if any ground to throw darts.

Their best conference finishes in the past 12 years are 5th in 2015 and 4th last year, so they have that going for them.

As far a peoples faces, I meant that since our last title was nearing 20 years ago I don't often go there with people at the office when we start arguing about football.

And I don’t talk about it to people at the office either. But if a tech fan wants to talk to me about what a blue blood is..I’ll happily engage. 

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CowtownHorn said:

And I don’t talk about to people at the office either. But if a tech wants to talk to me about what a blue blood is..I’ll happily engage. 

I understand 100%.

For some reason, when I see or hear 'blueblood', the first thing my mind goes to is college basketball. Not sure why.

11 minutes ago, redswingline said:

I understand 100%.

For some reason, when I see or hear 'blueblood', the first thing my mind goes to is college basketball. Not sure why.

Yeah no true definition. But to me…if a team is Top 10 all-time in wins, national championships, or certainly both…you have a claim. That’s blue blood territory for sure. For example, tech is definitely a blue blood in meat judging.

IMG_0399.jpeg

Edited by CowtownHorn

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Bullshit.

Yes, ask other fan bases. They don’t like Texas and believe we get the calls. We don’t. I live in a Big 12 city. I’ve heard the bogus bullshit time and again.

Texas has the advantages to overcome. Yeah, sorta maybe. I happen to have a bit more respect for the small town, 3 * than most. There are a shit ton more than 25 good prospects per year but that’s the biggest drawback for most teams - they can’t get the higher end “talent” but never mind the endless stream of mediocre talents like Drew Brees or LT that somehow make it to the NFL anyway.

Coaching is the most important element. As I’ve matured, that has become even more apparent. The truth of the matter is that most Texas schools have underachieved, but we only want to put that at Texas doorstep. If Leach and Briles can do it, others can as well.

I don’t particularly give shit about Yormarks comment. I am not concerned about refs screwing us over this year. Wouldn’t put it past them, but they have subtlety done fine the last handful of years giving us the short end of the stick.

Everyone who could end their dealings with Texas did.  Y'all are the assholes. 

Just Own it.  

If you came to the Tech thread hoping for an apology, IDKWTF to tell you.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, Jasper_Jester said:

Not the same thing.

Sankey is not in charge of holding Big12 games and providing the officials for those games. That is Yormark's job. Texas is still a member in good standing of the Big 12. Texas deserves the same consideration as all the other members in good standing in every sport against every opponent. 

I have seen noone saying the conference should be hosting a year-long farewell tour honoring our service. We just would love for the adults to act like adults. There is a whole year of sports to be played that people like Yormark are going to get paid a lot of money to hold. It is highly irregular for a person in his position to express out loud a rooting interest in the outcome of games that he is in charge of. There is no similar example that I have heard of, yet teams leave conferences all the time (there are 8 newcomers in or on the way to the Big 12 that left a conference).

Seems like you are trying really hard not to get this. 

Texas fans believe Texas deserves the same consideration as all B12 schools. In ways that matter, other observers might agree. But it’s  unrealistic to expect Yormark or any other leader, who had to work like hell to bring his conference back from the brink, due in large measure to the duplicity and deceit of UT and OU to be disingenuously magnanimous. He’d have to be the dumbest man alive to raise the suspicions of Texas and OU fans and then put a plan in place to cheat them on the football field. Imaginations are running wild here.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

And, because Texas is a better school, with a better AD, in a cooler place, you hate us.  You hate that you need us.  And you want us to hate you back.  And we don't.  So, that makes us arrogant.  But, the reality is that you aren't a big enough deal to care about, much less feel strongly about

Casablanca-Tech.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Satchel said:

But it’s  unrealistic to expect Yormark or any other leader, who had to work like hell to bring his conference back from the brink, due in large measure to the duplicity and deceit of UT and OU to be disingenuously magnanimous.

Disagree. I don’t think it is unrealistic to ask him to be professional, seeing whereas this is a business and this is his profession. His job got harder? Tough shit. In the famed words of Donald Draper, “that’s what the money’s for.”

If he chooses to take things personally, well, that’s why terms like “petulant” and “petty” are being used.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Satchel said:

due in large measure to the duplicity and deceit of UT and OU

Something Tech and the remaining schools have been masters at. Lying about all the big, bad things Texas has done until those lies get run in the media, sketchy voting in the polls, etc. Sorry the remaining schools are so historically mediocre that Yormark had to work so hard. When you have to bring in U of H, Central Florida, Cincinnati, and Mormons to shore up and save your conference...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Disagree. I don’t think it is unrealistic to ask him to be professional, seeing whereas this is a business and this is his profession. His job got harder? Tough shit. In the famed words of Donald Draper, “that’s what the money’s for.”

If he chooses to take things personally, well, that’s why terms like “petulant” and “petty” are being used.

I find it hilarious that some of you think Yormark was being petty Betty at one of his school’s kickoff luncheons When has the kind of equanimity you expect ever existed in the 27 year history of the B12? It certainly wasn’t around when Texas fans reveled in and even bragged about Deloss being the defacto commissioner of the Big12. Anybody reading this thread, should not be shocked by ADs and administrators whose actions are not always aligned with their high minded ideals. Big time college football is a dirty business and is getting dirtier by the day. We should stop pretending not to know that. 

15 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Anybody reading this thread, should not be shocked by ADs and administrators whose actions are not always aligned with their high minded ideals. Big time college football is a dirty business and is getting dirtier by the day. We should stop pretending not to know that. 

So what's your proposed solution? Shut up and let the bullshit go unopposed? Hope your school gets in the dirt and gives it their best shot? Concede that "this is just how it is now"? Microcosm of the growing mindset in today's society that has things trending worse in many areas of life. 

Running theme in this thread of not being able to appreciate nuance, but "pretending not to know" where a situation has been trending in CFB generally and speaking out against that trend breaking containment and polluting other areas of the sport — totally different things.

Edited by derpyhorndog

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

So what's your proposed solution? Shut up and let the bullshit go unopposed? Hope your school gets in the dirt and gives it their best shot? Concede that "this is just how it is now"? Microcosm of the growing mindset in today's society that has things trending worse in many areas of life. 

Running theme in this thread of not being able to appreciate nuance, but "pretending not to know" where a situation has been trending in CFB generally and speaking out against that trend breaking containment and polluting other areas of the sport — totally different things.

I have no earthly idea what the solution might be. Money is the driver here and will continue to be until there’s no more of it.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Something Tech and the remaining schools have been masters at. Lying about all the big, bad things Texas has done until those lies get run in the media, sketchy voting in the polls, etc. Sorry the remaining schools are so historically mediocre that Yormark had to work so hard. When you have to bring in U of H, Central Florida, Cincinnati, and Mormons to shore up and save your conference...

Ah yes, the classic Texas Tech Media Conspiracy against Texas. Who is running lies in the media and how is any of that costing you votes in the polls?

Do you guys ever stop to consider you might just be paranoid?

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ah yes, the classic Texas Tech Media Conspiracy against Texas. Who is running lies in the media and how is any of that costing you votes in the polls?

You should work on reading comprehension. I said those lies get told over and over until the talking heads just believe it. It's not a media conspiracy. It's just lazy "journalists" who probably got a shitty education like you did. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Deej said:

You should work on reading comprehension. I said those lies get told over and over until the talking heads just believe it. It's not a media conspiracy. It's just lazy "journalists" who probably got a shitty education like you did. 

What lies?

e: I'm actually genuinely curious, because I pay next to 0% attention to sports media.

Edited by Brian Fantana

38 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

We're talking about a conference that watched the 2008 season unfold and decided that a team that got it's ass handed to them on a neutral site was better than a team that lost one game on a last second fluke play in a night game on the road in Lubbock. That act is what got the ball rolling as far as killing the big 12. People in real positions of influence decided that "not Texas" was more important than "best team". 

You openly said "fuck you" to your biggest brand, and then wonder why they(smartly) stopped trusting you.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

I find it hilarious that some of you think Yormark was being petty Betty at one of his school’s kickoff luncheons

So, is it your contention that it isn’t petty for a conference commissioner to cheerlead for one member over another, and that it isn’t petty when his second in command takes passive-aggressive jabs at a member school, based (I guess?) on a perceived slight, which is actually just that school making a sound business decision? That seems petty to me.

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

When has the kind of equanimity you expect ever existed in the 27 year history of the B12? It certainly wasn’t around when Texas fans reveled in and even bragged about Deloss being the defacto commissioner of the Big12.

You’re comparing the conference office openly disparaging a member, and expressing a desire for a specific outcome in a game, to fans on message boards suggesting that the Texas AD ran the conference? Again, I expect professionalism and impartiality from the conference office; I don’t expect that of slapdicks on message boards.

Look, none of this is really that big of a deal, and not even really something anyone should be upset about - we agree there. It just seems like a poor way for the conference execs to present themselves, as they come off as scorned children.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

We're talking about a conference that watched the 2008 season unfold and decided that a team that got it's ass handed to them on a neutral site was better than a team that lost one game on a last second fluke play in a night game on the road in Lubbock. That act is what got the ball rolling as far as killing the big 12. People in real positions of influence decided that "not Texas" was more important than "best team". 

You openly said "fuck you" to your biggest brand, and then wonder why they(smartly) stopped trusting you.

I could be wrong here, but from what I remember, the team that repped the Big 12 South had to be Oklahoma because the tie-breakers in place couldn't resolve the situation and they had to use the BCS ranking instead.

Wasn't the controversy that you guys had a higher AP and coaches poll ranking but the computers favored Oklahoma on the last week of the regular season?

Don't get me wrong, Big 12 leadership back then was a joke for sure, but I think all of that was out of their control.

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He claims that we acted deceitfully because "he didn't know." Give me a fucking break. Like USC and UCLA let Kliavkoff know? Like Nebraska, A&M, Mizzou, and Colorado let Beebe know? 

Does he really want enlightenment on which schools were entertaining or seriously negotiating moves to other conferences in the past 5-10 yrs? I'll save him the trouble - pretty much every D1 AD not in the SEC or B10. 

UT and OU gave the B12 3-4 years of runway on the transition. I think the other schools Vertigo listed gave one year, if that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You’re comparing the conference office openly disparaging a member, and expressing a desire for a specific outcome in a game, to fans on message boards suggesting that the Texas AD ran the conference? 

They are intentionally not getting it. Nobody is consistently this bad at logic.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, BadgerHorn said:

Does he really want enlightenment on which schools were entertaining or seriously negotiating moves to other conferences in the past 5-10 yrs? I'll save him the trouble - pretty much every D1 AD not in the SEC or B10. 

UT and OU gave the B12 3-4 years of runway on the transition. I think the other schools Vertigo listed gave one year, if that. 

One year ago at this time, in violation of Big 12 bylaws, the honorable Texas Tech University was very busy aggressively/duplicitously begging to get into the PAC 12.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Talking shit about Texas by the B12 Office is strategic... it's already happened publicly twice since July 2023.

Yormark is like a WWE hype guy... stirring up shit like this to get folks talking about tech and the B12.  CFB is about money, ratings and  entertainment.  That's Yormark's background.

Interesting comments by Babers...

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

1. However you want to spin it, a conference commissioner cheerleading for one conference member over another is bush-league bullshit for obvious reasons:

I was pissed at first, but it all made sense when I realized that the commissioner of an actual, literal, real life, by God, bush league acted, well.... bush league. What he did is the literal definition of bush league. Rather than scorned, he should be commended for being so true to himself and the second rate conference he represents. Congrats, I guess?

bush-league adjective ˈbu̇sh-ˌlēg 
: being of an inferior class or group of its kind : marked by a lack of sophistication or professionalism

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I could be wrong here, but from what I remember, the team that repped the Big 12 South had to be Oklahoma because the tie-breakers in place couldn't resolve the situation and they had to use the BCS ranking instead.

Wasn't the controversy that you guys had a higher AP and coaches poll ranking but the computers favored Oklahoma on the last week of the regular season?

Don't get me wrong, Big 12 leadership back then was a joke for sure, but I think all of that was out of their control.

art briles raped us in the coaches poll , leading us to fall just enough to be ranked behind OU in some bs compute calculation 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

art briles raped us in the coaches poll , leading us to fall just enough to be ranked behind OU in some bs compute calculation 

I remember going into the last week, y'all were playing a weak team (I think maybe k-state?) and OU was playing bedlam I guess, so y'all were screwed either way from a BCS ranking standpoint unless OU lost.

e: Nvm googled, it was aggy not k-state

Edited by Brian Fantana

17 hours ago, Satchel said:

Chuckle, you believe a conference commissioner would be dumb enough to try to fix games undetected against an outgoing member, and you think my post is low IQ.

Replace 'conference commissioner' in that sentence with literally anyone on the planet, then replace everything after 'dumb enough to' with any scenario you can think of, and the answer will always be Yes.

Not sure if you're acquainted, but I would like to introduce you to human beings.  They're fucking nuts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Duplicitous and deceitful? AYFKM?

The only reason that Texas operated in stealth mode is because of the kangaroo court of other school alums that would create a massive shit storm in the Texas legislature. Why? Because they knew their gravy train was leaving. They all threw their hissy fit anyway and grandstanded about dumb shit not related to us, but by god if they could have blocked us they would have moved heaven and earth to do it.  

Why did their gravy train leave? Because none of those other programs outside of OU took the slightest bit of leadership, initiative, investment, or competence in advancing the brand of the B12 over the last 20+ years.

Who was too stupid to see that? Bob Bowlsby. The only conference commissioner in history that gives George Kliavkoff a run for his money on the incompetence meter. So what does he do? He claims that we acted deceitfully because "he didn't know." Give me a fucking break. Like USC and UCLA let Kliavkoff know? Like Nebraska, A&M, Mizzou, and Colorado let Beebe know? 

You can take your deceitfulness, duplicate it, shine it up real nice, and stick it straight up your candy ass you mercilessly penetrated twat. 

I agree with your view of the predicate established by UT and OU to be “discreet.”  Nice job.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Texas fans reveled in and even bragged about Deloss being the defacto commissioner of the Big12. 

Texas fans had a pretty good decade in the major 3 men's sports in the 00's, and pretty much - to a person - we felt that all happened *around* Deloss or *in spite of* Deloss.  Credit for the UT success went to 1) a good university with highly-ranked academics and lots of money, 2) it's an easy city to recruit college kids to, and 3) occasionally credit went to the coach (e.g. Gus).  

Right or wrong, Deloss got 0.0% of the credit whenever a Texas team did well.  If there had been a Parliament-style snap election with Texas fans, he'd have lost in a landslide.

The Tech fans' version of history - including this bit where Texas fans boasted about Deloss - seems like more delusion than reality.   

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Texas fans had a pretty good decade in the major 3 men's sports in the 00's, and pretty much - to a person - we felt that all happened *around* Deloss or *in spite of* Deloss.  Credit for the UT success went to 1) a good university with highly-ranked academics and lots of money, 2) it's an easy city to recruit college kids to, and 3) occasionally credit went to the coach (e.g. Gus).  

Right or wrong, Deloss got 0.0% of the credit whenever a Texas team did well.  If there had been a Parliament-style snap election with Texas fans, he'd have lost in a landslide.

The Tech fans' version of history - including this bit where Texas fans boasted about Deloss - seems like more delusion than reality.   

If one googles stories about Deloss, one will find any number of glowing articles about his long tenure at Texas. One will also find some not so flattering takes as well. In one such article,  a Tulsa Herald writer called him a dictator and said; “Dodds has been the Big 12's de facto commissioner from the day the league was officially formed on Feb. 25, 1994. Schools have either played by his rules or else.” 

Following Deloss’ retirement, that kind of talk has clearly become clearly water under the bridge since OU was invited to tag along with Texas to their new home. Money really does make strange bedfellows.