This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

Hahahahaha. This fucking guy. I love it. What’s next? Is he going to start ranting about freshmen getting to play or too many teams being able to get on those danged tv sets every weekend?
Gundy's comments are those of a coach trying to force the hand of the administration. There's no way he doesn't get asked to clarify his remarks during his next presser, and if that happens to be after losing to ISU on the anniversary of his "I'm a man" rant, well...Best hide your mother's. Of children.
Hahahahaha. This fucking guy. I love it. What’s next? Is he going to start ranting about freshmen getting to play or too many teams being able to get on those danged tv sets every weekend?
Gundy's comments are those of a coach trying to force the hand of the administration. There's no way he doesn't get asked to clarify his remarks during his next presser, and if that happens to be after losing to ISU on the anniversary of his "I'm a man" rant, well...Best hide your mother's. Of children.
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:58 AM, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I am sure tons of schools are going to be opening up the vaults to the guys who got blown out by South Alabama and then walked out in the middle of the season.

And the players who are looking to walk out midseason are going to wait until after the ISU game for some reason. Bunch of nonsense.

I posted above we have an NIL program, our players are getting paid. His comments aren't against the administration or arguing that we should opt out, he's grumpy about the entire system that's changing. Same with the portal, he bitches about it, but uses it like everyone else. My biggest concern right now is his comments about he treats players brought in from the portal, saying that they have to get playing time since they were brought in by transfer. It's clear that he's played too many people to start the season and it bit him in the ass when the vanilla gameplan didn't work and we couldn't adjust. I bet his approach changes next year, he has changed philosophies at least a dozen times during his tenure. He did say at one point he didn't want to coach much past 50, then changed his mind, but that was before the portal/NIL era. My guess is he'll hang it up in the next 4-5 years, especially if we regress from averaging 8-10 wins most seasons in the current conference alignment to 6-8 in the new alignment.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

And the players who are looking to walk out midseason are going to wait until after the ISU game for some reason. Bunch of nonsense.

If I recall correctly, if they enter the portal after playing 4 games, they can redshirt (if they haven't already) at the next institution.

I turned 40 last year and thanked everyone for not using that line, haha. Feels like forever ago and just yesterday. Also memorable because we gashed Tech so hard that game they fired their DC. I think the exact same thing happened a few years later when Tech fired their DC after we beat that ass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

"This was brought to me by a mother. Of children" kills me every fucking time.

There are mothers of adults you know. I think he wanted to emphasize that these players are children, I never got why everyone thought that was hilarious.

Ok, I'll stop being a queef.

20 hours ago, Pokoloco said:

There are mothers of adults you know. I think he wanted to emphasize that these players are children, I never got why everyone thought that was hilarious.

Ok, I'll stop being a queef.

It's the delivery and the pause that Gundy thought he was using to great effect to emphasize the "seriousness" of the situation.

"A mother.....Of children!

"Ooooh....that sounds serious, Lem. We'd better pay attention. If a mother of adults or a mother of chinchillas brought him that newspaper I don't know that I'd pay as much attention, but coach was clear to quantify that a mother of children was involved so this must really be important."

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

It's the delivery and the pause that Gundy thought he was using to great effect to emphasize the "seriousness" of the situation.

"A mother.....Of children!

"Ooooh....that sounds serious, Lem. We'd better pay attention. If a mother of adults or a mother of chinchillas brought him that newspaper I don't know that I'd pay as much attention, but coach was clear to quantify that a mother of children was involved so this must really be important."

Yea that was always hilarious to me as well. It's as pearl-clutching of a sentence that i can ever remember hearing. "A mother.....of children!" No shit, Sherlock? Did you think we thought you meant some crazy cat lady?

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Haha 1

They'll build a statue for him and deservedly so. They'll never find another coach that will equal his success over an extended period of time. The HC at oSu is about to return to its historic position as training ground for an up and comer who, once he proves can do more with less, gets a shot at a bigger things.

Oklahoma State football thinks lapses in pass coverage vs. Iowa State are 'easily fixable'

Scott Wright            The Oklahoman

70951138007-ap-23267002672322.jpg?width=

AMES, Iowa — Bryan Nardo’s voice was soft, but his words were not.

“Too many explosive passes,” the first-year Oklahoma State defensive coordinator said after the Cowboys’ 34-27 loss to Iowa State on Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium. “That’s really what it comes down to. It’s the explosive plays, something we need to continue to eliminate.”

In handing Oklahoma State (2-2, 0-1 Big 12) its second straight loss, Iowa State scored four touchdowns, and on three of them a receiver was running wide-open for an untouched score. 

None were as much of a gut punch as the first one, a fourth-and-4 in the first quarter when it looked like the Cowboys were positioned for a big early stop. Cyclone receiver Jaylin Noel ran past safety Trey Rucker, who appeared to think he had extra help behind him. 

Instead, Noel was all alone behind the Cowboy defense. 

“We just had a bust,” head coach Mike Gundy said. “Just dropped coverage. The scheme was fine, but we dropped coverage.”

More:How Oklahoma State football's Ollie Gordon II ran his 'butt off' in loss to Iowa State

Later, Iowa State’s Daniel Jackson twice found himself in open space on the way to a TD. The first, he juked at the line of scrimmage and OSU cornerback D.J. McKinney slipped when turning to run with him on a second-quarter score.

Then in the third quarter, Jackson cut in front of safety Cameron Epps, who also lost his footing and couldn’t attempt to run Jackson down on a TD that gave Iowa State a 27-17 lead.

Iowa State quarterback Rocco Becht, a redshirt freshman, completed 27 of 38 passes for 348 yards and the three aforementioned touchdowns. Eight of his passes went for 15 yards or more, accounting for 211 yards and 21 points — and 100% of Nardo’s frustration.

“I thought we fit the run better,” Nardo said. “I thought we were aggressive in our run fits. I thought we tackled well. But we did not eliminate the big pass. 

“We had a miscommunication on the first one. Just need to do a better job of eliminating the explosive pass.”

While Gundy said the variety of miscommunications and defensive busts the Cowboys have had while allowing 77 points the past two weeks were a mix of mental lapses and the adjustment to a new defense, Nardo feels his players are picking up his scheme well. 

“It was just a mental bust in the moment,” Nardo said of Iowa State’s first touchdown. “It was nothing crazy. They haven’t really done a lot of doing the wrong thing. The guys are trying to do the right thing and they’re pretty locked in with it.

“That was the only one on the day when we felt like we weren’t communicating well.”

More:Oklahoma State football report card: Grading Alan Bowman, defense in loss vs. Iowa State

The Cowboys were strong against the run, allowing 78 yards on 32 carries before the Cyclones tacked on a couple of losses kneeling to end the game. Iowa State had just two rushes over 10 yards and averaged 2.4 yards per carry. 

“We allowed our kids to play fast and our kids played their butts off,” Nardo said. 

Safeties Kendal Daniels and Cameron Epps had 10 tackles apiece to lead the defense, and middle linebacker Nick Martin had seven. The Cowboys had five tackles for loss, but didn’t have a sack for the first time since the loss at Kansas last season.

Iowa State converted six of 17 third-down opportunities (35.2%) and its only fourth-down try. Third-down defense has been one of OSU’s strongest areas the past few seasons, but opponents are converting 40% this season.

“We need to do a better job on third down,” Gundy said. “Concerned? I’m not concerned. We’re learning it. I think our guys are playing hard. We need to work through a couple dropped coverages. We had a couple dropped coverages a week ago, had a couple today. If we can work through those, I think it’ll help a lot.”

Despite the frustration of the defensive lapses and the loss overall, the Cowboys see the primary problems as correctable issues.

“It’s easily fixable,” Martin said. “It’s all mental things. It’s nothing physical. It’s not like we’re getting outplayed. We are actually beating ourselves and allowing the moment to affect us instead of just coming together, playing together every down, every drive.

“But it’s easily fixable.”

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah didn’t realize I was tagged in this post six weeks ago, my bad.  Once I got past 40, i sort of stopped having the tv tuned to games all weekend at home…love watching football with friends, but it’s not as intense a connection anymore.  

Regarding Gundy…only real gripe is blind spot for quarterbacks over the decades.  Not sure if it’s due to his playing days or what, but he finds ways to fuck with it regularly…we all thought Bowman was brought in specifically to let Rangel/Gundy season up but instead he fucks with it.  He stops fucking with it, look what happens…state of Kansas 2023 champions.  

Stop fucking with it, Mike.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yeah didn’t realize I was tagged in this post six weeks ago, my bad.  Once I got past 40, i sort of stopped having the tv tuned to games all weekend at home…love watching football with friends, but it’s not as intense a connection anymore.  

Regarding Gundy…only real gripe is blind spot for quarterbacks over the decades.  Not sure if it’s due to his playing days or what, but he finds ways to fuck with it regularly…we all thought Bowman was brought in specifically to let Rangel/Gundy season up but instead he fucks with it.  He stops fucking with it, look what happens…state of Kansas 2023 champions.  

Stop fucking with it, Mike.  

As the season moves along that three-QB rotation AND RB rotation in the non-conference is going to piss me off more and more.

I don’t think there’s any question that we would be 5-0 at this point if he just names Bowman the starter from day 1 and runs Gordon out there 50-60% of the time at a bare minimum. If he wanted to do the rotation thing for show he should have ended it after the first game. Get fucking serious and run Bowman out there after that to let him build up reps/rapport with the rest of the offense. Once he finally got to do that look what fucking happened.

I get wanting to not burn Gordon out but he had four fucking carries against South Alabama. He’s clearly and obviously the most talented player on offense, FFS.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 2

In looking at Okie State's schedule, it's perfectly plausible that they're going to finish 9-3 somehow. Even in a bad Big 12, that's an amazing coaching job. Jesus. Fucking Gundy. 

The most disappointing thing about Okie State under Gundy is how they insist on completely shitting the bed against OU. I mean, Texas has certainly done its share of that since Mack Brown came to town, but Okie State has taken it to another level from the beginning of that "rivalry" and Gundy has done absolutely nothing to impact it any differently.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

In looking at Okie State's schedule, it's perfectly plausible that they're going to finish 9-3 somehow. Even in a bad Big 12, that's an amazing coaching job. Jesus. Fucking Gundy. 

The most disappointing thing about Okie State under Gundy is how they insist on completely shitting the bed against OU. I mean, Texas has certainly done its share of that since Mack Brown came to town, but Okie State has taken it to another level from the beginning of that "rivalry" and Gundy has done absolutely nothing to impact it any differently.

We have three bedlam wins since 2011. Only UT and KSU have more in that time span. And yes I used 2011 to get that third win in there, doesn’t really matter, we don’t beat them much. But it’s not like anyone else beats them consistently. It just hurts more when we lose to them because fuck em.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, 'stache said:

We have three bedlam wins since 2011. Only UT and KSU have more in that time span. And yes I used 2011 to get that third win in there, doesn’t really matter, we don’t beat them much. But it’s not like anyone else beats them consistently. It just hurts more when we lose to them because fuck em.

Yes with all of the "Gundy shits the bed against OU all the time" talk forgets is that they have just flat been better than us for the vast, vast majority of the time. In Gundy's 15+ years as OSU's coach, there really only was one Bedlam game that he lost that we had absolutely, positively no business losing - the 2013 game.  But then he also won one that we had absolutely positively no business winning (2014).

Outside of that, you have 2011 when we were a prohibitive favorite and absolutely curb-stomped them.

Every other game in the series during his tenure, OU was either the prohibitive favorite or the game could be classified as a "toss-up" at best.

On the whole you could say that he maybe should have won maybe 1 or 2 more of the "toss-up" games (I'd consider the 2021 win to be more or less a "toss up"); but it's not like he's constantly losing to them as a favorite. They have just regularly beaten EVERYONE.

17 hours ago, statsman said:

I don’t see why y’all dropped them from the schedule. Isn’t it good for the B12 for y’all to have an annual game with them?

WE didn't "drop them from the schedule." THEY left for the SEC, effectively ending the series for the foreseeable future.

As for scheduling them in the non-conference, we already have several non-conference series against P5 scheduled way into the future at this point, including series with Arkansas, Alabama, Oregon and Nebraska. Those series take us into the mid/late 2030s.  I don't think anyone would say it's a great idea to throw OU in as a non-conference game with those games already scheduled. 

That said, I think we will eventually start playing them as a non-conference game; it will just take a while to get it scheduled.

We also had a home-and-home scheduled with Colorado in the late 2030 that will obviously need to be filled now. I think there's a decent chance that Bedlam will take their place; and if not then probably in the 2040s.

• Like 1

So I was thinking this through (as best as I am able) the fact that we don't play them, and the possible tie scenarios involving 1 loss teams.  If OSU runs the table, that obviously tags OU with a loss.  If us, OSU and OU all have one loss, we'd have between the three:

OSU 1-0

OU 1-1

Texas 0-1

Do they run the schedule comparison in that scenario?  Or are we on the outside looking in no matter what?

Bottom line to all this is if Kansas beats OU, then its all moot as either OU or OSU would have 2 losses after Bedlam if KU wins.

Edited by MirrOlure

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So I was thinking this through (as best as I am able) the fact that we don't play them, and the possible tie scenarios involving 1 loss teams.  If OSU runs the table, that obviously tags OU with a loss.  If us, OSU and OU all have one loss, we'd have between the three:

OSU 1-0

OU 1-1

Texas 0-1

Do they run the schedule comparison in that scenario?  Or are we on the outside looking in no matter what?

Bottom line to all this is if Kansas beats OU, then its all moot as either OU or OSU would have 2 losses after Bedlam in KU wins.

Yeah with the unbalanced schedule and no divisions I have NO IDEA what will happen if there are multiple 1-loss teams at the top of the standings... there's also a decent possibility of a 1-loss team at the top and then like 3 or 4 two-loss teams tied for the #2 spot.

(I could see like a 1-loss OU at the the top and then, say, OSU, Texas, K-State and Iowa State all with two losses... not sure if that's even possible with schedules but it feels like it could happen?)

Who knows how that will get sorted out but I'm sure it'll be a shit show, lol.

Edited by oSuJeff97

54 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Did he honestly need a 3 man rotation for 3 games to figure out that Bowman was better than his noodle armed kid and the other jag?

No. It was fucking ridiculous.

His kid sucks but Rangel was a legit potential starter. He’s a RS sophomore and was a decent recruit from Frisco.

I would have been fine with giving him the full-time gig this year for development purposes since Bowman is gone after this year, but Bowman was the clear and obvious choice from day 1 to give us the best chance this year.

So yeah the rotation thing was dumb as shit.

• Like 1

I was dead wrong about Oklahoma State after the OOC slate.  That was as bad as I've seen a Gundy team look and now here they are set to win 8 or 9 games.  Incredible.  There's a godo chance the Pokes are in the Top 25 if they get past Cincinnati at home this weekend.  That should set up a fun Final (for now) Bedlam.  

My guess is that Bedlam gets scheduled annually at some point in the 2030s, but it ends up being played in September instead of late in the year.     

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

OSU 1-0

OU 1-1

Texas 0-1

Bottom line to all this is if Kansas beats OU, then its all moot as either OU or OSU would have 2 losses after Bedlam if KU wins.

I believe in this scenario, you work your way down the list of common conference opponents.  OSU's loss to ISU (shared opponent of all 3 teams) knocks them out.

1 hour ago, Kwix said:

I believe in this scenario, you work your way down the list of common conference opponents.  OSU's loss to ISU (shared opponent of all 3 teams) knocks them out.

Looks like ISU, KU, and BYU are the only common opponents and all three are close in the standings with ISU currently at the top of that group. The scenario though requires OU, OSU, and UT to win out which includes those three opponents. It’s too early for me to have the bandwidth to work through those scenarios. Let’s all just hope KU beats OU first.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Kwix said:

So here's a reasonable scenario I just came up with - and I think this would send Iowa State to the title game? 

In this case - OSU wins Bedlam and it's OU's only loss so they are in.

Assume (because this is OSU we're talking about) we drop 1 of @ UCF, @ Houston or vs. BYU... probably 1 of the 2 road games.

And then this also happens:

• Texas' only remaining loss is at Iowa State
  • K-State only remaining loss is at Texas
  • Iowa State's only remaining loss is at K-State

So that would leave OSU, Texas, K-State and Iowa State all with 2 losses

If you do a "round robin" among those four teams, everyone is 1-1 except Iowa State, who is 2-1, being the only one of the group to play all 3 other teams. 

EDIT - the only thing I'm not sure about - does "record against highest placed opponent" do anything? Because in this scenario, OSU would be the only team in the group to have beaten OU.

I'll say that looking at the schedules, Kansas will be a big factor in who gets in, as they play OU, K-State and Iowa State. Also, outside of Bedlam, OSU definitely has the easiest remaining schedule; although UCF is going to be much tougher to deal with now that Plumlee is back.

Edited by oSuJeff97