Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what at all have you seen from QE that leads you to believe he’s an NFL qb? he’s not even a particularly notable college qb despite being surrounded by elite talent and elite QB coaching. he’s also making the same mistakes and showing the same poor mechanics as he was last year, despite being coached by the best QB coach in the country. in an era where freshman QBs win heisman trophies and put up obscene numbers while playing spectacularly, QE being a 3rd year guy who isn’t in the top 50% of best players in his own offense does not portend well for his future as an NFL qb. 

Ahh now I know you’re being a troll, which freshman qb’s win heisman trophies???? I’ll hang up and listen. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

quinn is not calm, lol, he routinely tucks ball way too early and all too often has poor pocket presence. 

also, what does dark prescott, a starting QB, have to do with anything that you quoted?

Dak isn’t very accurate, calm or smart. You said those things are what nfl teams want in a qb. I beg to differ. Dak is awful in crunch time and can’t get out of his own way. Baker mayfield is a starter in the nfl right now. Brock Purdy is a starter for fucks sake. Quinn is going to get a chance to be a nfl starter. He has all the tools. 

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is competing 70% of his passes for 9 yards an attempt with a 4-1 TD to int ratio. That is kind of good

colt brennan and graham harrell and tim tebow and a thousand other QBs have put up spectacular numbers while not looking like they would be a future NFL qb. meanwhile QE puts up decent numbers in an offense where an elite QB would put up video game numbers. but again, it’s not about the numbers, it’s about watching a guy playing the toughest position in sports and seeing that he clearly has a ton a of flaws and issues which need correcting before anyone can think about this guy leading an nfl team. flaws and issues which he’s made little progress on. 

ive never watched a college qb spend multiple years throwing 50/50 lob balls off his back foot for no reason, routinely missing wide open receivers, routinely throwing balls behind open guys, routinely under throwing deep routes to open receivers, and routinely showing poor pocket presence and footwork and thought, “yup, that guy has NFL written all over him.” if QE played for Texas A&M this entire site would trash him.

Edited by shadow_operative

Are we really arguing that a 20 year old sophomore isn’t good enough because he won’t be a top 15 NFL pick this year? Jesus Christ. 

if he only had a defensive secondary that was worth a shit he’d be 11-0. If only the right side OL was a bit more experienced he’d probably be completing 80% of his passes. As it stands in his soph year he’s 10-1, Colt was 9-3 his soph year. I don’t even think VY was the starter until after OU. This entire line of talk is absurd. QE makes mistakes and because he makes it look so easy at times we assume he shouldn’t make any. But very few of those mistakes are truly costly. The guy flat out balls. We should all enjoy it we’ve been waiting for this for close to 15 years. Jesus.

• Hook 'Em 9

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Dak isn’t very accurate, calm or smart. You said those things are what nfl teams want in a qb.

this has been a tough conversation for you. go back and read it again. 

and maybe, just maybe, you’d be having a better time with your reading comprehension if you weren’t so clearly combative and angry right now. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

colt brennan and graham harrell and tim tebow a thousand other QBs have put up spectacular numbers while not looking like they would be a future NFL qb. meanwhile QE puts up decent numbers in an offense where an elite QB would put up video game numbers. but again, it’s not about the numbers, it’s about watching a guy playing the toughest position in sports and seeing that he clearly has a ton a of flaws and issues which need correcting before anyone can think about this guy leading an nfl team.

ive never watched a college qb spend multiple years throwing 50/50 lob balls off his back foot for no reason, routinely missing wide open receivers, routinely throwing balls behind open guys, routinely under throwing deep routes to open receivers, and routinely showing poor pocket presence and footwork and thought, “yup, that guy has NFL written all over him.” if QE played for Texas A&M this entire site would trash him.

are you serious? 

You are a trip, Winston and manziel are the only redshirt freshman to ever win the heisman. They both sucked shit through a straw as “nfl qb’s”. Your entire argument is all over the fucking place. Winning a heisman as a redshirt freshman means you’ll be a starter in the nfl then the two guys that did were so shitty they never became full time starters. I’m feeding the troll here damn it. 

I like his overall progression. Playing at a high level through pain. He’s not turning the ball over.  

His footwork has regressed since returning which is understandable. He was very choppy but he’s trying to avoid getting hit. He could pull a zone read and run for a mile but there’s a reason he’s not right now. 

Just keep winning. 

Quinn is #13 in the country in passing efficiency.  He's #3 among sophomores.  70.2%, 16 TDs, 4 INTs.  10-1 (8-1 for Quinn).  That ain't bad.  The guy is 20 years old.

People are overestimating the talent on this team as a whole.  The offensive line still has some problems, as does the defense, mostly on the back end.  Special teams are pretty good.  Overall, it seems this Texas staff is better than any in recent memory in terms of developing talent.  Regardless, this isn't some juggernaut like 05 or even 08/09, and to imply otherwise is just wrong.  I seriously doubt we'll have the opportunity to see Quinn progress over the course of another year, but it's certainly possible the NFL passes on his "potential".  I hope he gets legit advice.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

and maybe, just maybe, you’d be having a better time with your reading comprehension if you weren’t so clearly combative and angry right now. 

I find this statement to be combative. I also think you’re entitled to your views but many of us find the “QE isn’t very good arguments” to fly in the face of the objective data and outcomes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s not anger.  We are just fucking tired of the absolute insistence of your take.  It has edged into the rude category by volume and repetition.

Just take a break,

8 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Quinn makes NFL throws with regularity,

Quinn makes terrible throws to wide open WRs way more often than he makes these nfl throws. it’s not even close.

You’re making too much of the talent around Quinn.

i’m really not. this is the best offensive talent we’ve had player for player since the 2005 national championship team. 

Quinn has improved dramatically from last year to this year by any metric and saying otherwise is absurdly stupid.

nope. he’s still making the exact same mistakes with the exact same poor mechanics and footwork. he’s improved some, but his improvement has been far from “dramatic”. 

Quinn’s not perfect, but he’s a lot better than you’re giving him credit for.  You deserve the raft of shit you’re getting for your awful take.

it’s absolutely insane how routinely you guys will attack me relentlessly for my opinions, only to convince yourselves that the shit-talking combative one. that’s a fact. 

Edited by shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

uh, no? 

This was you quoted by winning is hard.

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

meanwhile QE puts up decent numbers in an offense where an elite QB would put up video game numbers. but again, it’s not about the numbers, it’s about watching a guy playing the toughest position in sports and seeing that he clearly has a ton a of flaws and issues which need correcting before anyone can think about this guy leading an nfl team.

There is plenty more of these hot takes. He’s a sophomore and more like a true sophomore at that. 

• Haha 1

Derka keeps talking about the most talented offense in the country.

Is the IOL the most talented group in the country? Is it even top 25?

If the answer to those questions isn’t yes you can piss right off with the “surrounded by the most talented offense” argument. And if you want to keep making it just keep showing how little you understand about the lifeblood of what makes an offense go (or not go)

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, nbmishoid said:

It’s not anger.  We are just fucking tired

lol, could have fooled me!

of you don’t like my take then post something of substance to argue the points i’ve made. you guys all huffing and wand getting all exasperated over my takes is 100% on you. you can feel free to take a break if you  any handle this conversation, i’m just fine thank you. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I’m saying Dak is a starter, Quinn has tools that Dak doesn’t have. Quinn will get a chance to be a starter. You mentioned Quinn won’t even be a backup in the nfl. Quinn is better than Blaine gabbert, Cooper rush, Kyle Allen, Mike white…this is ridiculous haha. I dismissed the backup argument because it’s ludicrous. I’m not angry, I’m passionate. You’re not angry, you don’t like Quinn. You didn’t like Sam. It’s ok. 

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

colt brennan and graham harrell and tim tebow and a thousand other QBs have put up spectacular numbers while not looking like they would be a future NFL qb. meanwhile QE puts up decent numbers in an offense where an elite QB would put up video game numbers. but again, it’s not about the numbers, it’s about watching a guy playing the toughest position in sports and seeing that he clearly has a ton a of flaws and issues which need correcting before anyone can think about this guy leading an nfl team. flaws and issues which he’s made little progress on. 

I think numbers speak for themselves. I am not saying he is a finished product, but most of your criticisms are based on 2022 and the vast minority of 2023. If a guy is just throwing 50/50 lobs off his back foot, than explain his 70% completion 

You’re doing it again. Going to the mats over an argument no one is trying to have. Quinn is imperfect and makes some frustrating decisions and throws. However, he has done everything asked of him and has the team at a position that it hasn’t been in since shoulder checks were be passed out at tailgates.  He is playing very well and we’d be lost without him this season. 

he will also like get drafted 2nd day at worst which is indicative of both his talent and his on field performance. 

This is yet another white whale you won’t let go off, then get pissy when people call you out with plain fact/reality.  It would be funny if it wasn’t so pedantic and monotonous. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, hookemATL said:

This is yet another white whale you won’t let go off, then get pissy when people call you out with plain fact/reality.  It would be funny if it wasn’t so pedantic and monotonous. 

i’m going to point out for about the fifth time here that i am not the one getting pissy or talking shit getting upset or anything of the sort. you guys are getting pissy and upset and talking shit. i’m literally just in here giving my football opinions. it is you who is “doing it again”, “it” being getting upset at my honest football takes and then projecting your own upset reactions onto me. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

of you don’t like my take then post something of substance to argue the points i’ve made. you guys all huffing and wand getting all exasperated over my takes is 100% on you. you can feel free to take a break if you  any handle this conversation, i’m just fine thank you. 

All kinds of people have countered your arguments, you  just deny their viewpoints.  That's your prerogative, but it doesn't make you right.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Quinn makes terrible throws to wide open WRs way more often than he makes these nfl throws. it’s not even close.

i’m really not. this is the best offensive talent we’ve had player for player the 2005 national championship team. 

nope. he’s still making the exact same mistakes with the exact same poor mechanics and footwork. he’s improved some, but his improvement has been far from “dramatic”. 

it’s absolutely insane how routinely you guys will attack me relentlessly for my opinions, only to convince yourselves that the shit-talking combative one. that’s a fact. 

I don’t care about the subjective stuff, you believe whatever you want, but the idea that Quinn hasn’t improved since last year is ridiculous.  Completion percentage up 14%, yards per attempt up by a yard and a half, more touchdowns, less interceptions, and he’s 8-1 as a starter this year.  You are objectively wrong here.

Also, regarding your crying about how you’re treated by the board:  Everyone has a right to their opinions.  The problem is, some of the things you’re talking about are not opinions.  They are verifiable facts and you’re acting like your subjective opinion trumps objective data.  Spoiler:  You are wrong.  And people are going to dumpster you when you are wrong, especially when you double and triple down.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

you quote a post where i literally say that he has improved from last year and you respond with this. you guys do this to yourselves. 

You want to engage with the actual data I presented or just continue being an ignorant cunt?

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

colt brennan and graham harrell and tim tebow and a thousand other QBs have put up spectacular numbers while not looking like they would be a future NFL qb.

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make here. All three of these very good college quarterbacks got drafted by the NFL.  They evaluated these guys, and some team paid them to play QB. I  personally don't care if Quinn Ewers ever plays a down of NFL football, I care that he plays great college ball and he doesn't right now. That I will not argue with you about. But let me ask you something based on your opinion of Steve Sarkisian being an elite QB couch. Why is he sticking with Ewers? Why did he not move on from him when he was given the opportunity? Ewers is not 100% healed from his injury, he makes some bonehead reads and some of his throws are off the mark yet.....he is Steve's boy.  Between you and Steve, I am going to go with Steve on his QB analysis and not you. He hasn't moved on to anyone else in the QB room and so if Quinn is his guy then he is the right guy.  

36 minutes ago, Levi said:

At times Ewers struggles with the deep ball but I think we all should recognize that he elevates his receivers with his arm strength, a la the deep outs from the opposite hash. Worthy is a damn good route runner and sells that particular route really well, but it means nothing if he doesn’t have a QB that can make the throw consistently. 

It's kind of the two-edged sword with his natural mechanics. His ability to effortlessly twist and change direction while throwing off his backfoot to the opposite hash undermines his downfield throws, because he does so reflexively. I.E., if and/or when he learns to consistently step into his downfield throws, he'll achieve next level performance. He's just inconsistent with it now, and I believe it has to do with improving his poise so he can concentrate. In the first half, as in other games, he was antsy in the pocket. The OL could have done better to help with that early on too. Under duress, he reverts to his reflexive throwing mechanics. When he's able to maintain concentration, he can step into the throw and nail it. That's my opinion. Other thought is he also waits too long to make many of his downfield throws. That's another two-edged sword I believe is a result of his risk aversiveness (good thing trying to avoid throwing INTs) but often prevents hitting the open deep receiver in stride resulting in DBs catching back up with the receiver.

Heacock also did well dialing up the best scheme to make Quinn uncomfortable with what he was seeing downfield. Not surprising as he is a guru of it and had an entire season's worth of film to prep with.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I get it bro. We all wish the days of VY and Colt were still here. That said Quinn is the best QB we've had since those days. Just sit back and enjoy while you can. None of us are promised tomorrow.

Ewers is better as a third year sophomore than Colt was. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Quinn gives us the best chance to win this season. We are having the best season since 2009, so I am going to savor it and be thankful to QE for leading the team. As many have pointed out, he is only in his second year playing in college, playing the most complex position. It's not fair to compare him to Bo Nix or Penix. He is also not often bailed out by his WRs for bad throws. We don't have complete WR talent despite worthy and Michell getting a lot of hype. Both of them have their flaws. Do I wish he had been more consistent? Absolutely. But I also understand why.

• Hook 'Em 2

Does this not tell the story, at least to some degree?  Come on.
image.png.75bb4d9d8e281e0745b32ea7676dfd97.png

To some degree, but there is so much more data available these days.

People won’t like it, but he’s trying to be more of a game manager this year. It’s working. His completion percentage is up but average depth of target is down 20% or so. His long ball numbers lack, he doesn’t suffer from lack of weapons, coaching or a system. He’s not pressured at all high rate and his passing has a high play action rate.

His pros are arm and potential for anticipation.
His cons are durability and lack of proving to lead a team/carry them.

I don’t recall him leading a game winning drive late. That’s not to say he can’t. He could have finished OU but didn’t. yes, the defense gave it up but one more first down and it was over. He’s shown more mobility but that’s likely a minimal factor miniml future consideration.

22 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

It's kind of the two-edged sword with his natural mechanics. His ability to effortlessly twist and change direction while throwing off his backfoot to the opposite hash undermines his downfield throws, because he does so reflexively. I.E., if and/or when he learns to consistently step into his downfield throws, he'll achieve next level performance. He's just inconsistent with it now, and I believe it has to do with improving his poise so he can concentrate. In the first half, as in other games, he was antsy in the pocket. The OL could have done better to help with that early on too. Under duress, he reverts to his reflexive throwing mechanics. When he's able to maintain concentration, he can step into the throw and nail it. That's my opinion. Other thought is he also waits too long to make many of his downfield throws. That's another two-edged sword I believe is a result of his risk aversiveness (good thing trying to avoid throwing INTs) but often prevents hitting the open deep receiver in stride resulting in DBs catching back up with the receiver.

Heacock also did well dialing up the best scheme to make Quinn uncomfortable with what he was seeing downfield. Not surprising as he is a guru of it and had an entire season's worth of film to prep with.

Watching the TD throw to AD that was called back shows the double edge sword. He threw a what 40 yard strike across his body at the boundary of his back foot? He can make back foot throws with all kinds of arm angles. It makes practicing mechanics harder. The kid with a monster serve but bad form isn’t learning as quickly as the kid that has to be fundamentally sound just to be in the game. His foot work will get better. 

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

People won’t like it, but he’s trying to be more of a game manager this year. It’s working. His completion percentage is up but average depth of target is down 20% or so. His long ball numbers lack, he doesn’t suffer from lack of weapons, coaching or a system. He’s not pressured at all high rate and his passing has a high play action rate.

I don’t recall him leading a game winning drive late. That’s not to say he can’t. He could have finished OU but didn’t. yes, the defense gave it up but one more first down and it was over. He’s shown more mobility but that’s likely a minimal factor miniml future consideration.

Game winning drive or not he was nails in the fourth quarter at Bama, versus OU, against TCU and last night. 

people are worried about this team against superior talent because of the play against murderer’s row but I actually think he plays better against stronger competition. It’s like he has adhd or something and it doesn’t truly come together until it has to. That to me is his biggest weakness - total complete games where it might not really be needed.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Game winning drive or not he was nails in the fourth quarter at Bama, versus OU, against TCU and last night. 

people are worried about this team against superior talent because of the play against murderer’s row but I actually think he plays better against stronger competition. It’s like he has adhd or something and it doesn’t truly come together until it has to. That to me is his biggest weakness - total complete games where it might not really be needed.  

The whole team is like that

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so many people quoting me, none of them actually responding to anything i said, most of them lashing out at me. translation: the truth hurts.

QE is surrounded by more talent than probably any QB in the country, he has a certified QB genius as his HC, and he’s inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, he’s not comfortable on the pocket, and he makes the same poor throws and mistakes over and over, when in reality he should be putting up video game numbers. this isn’t even a hot take, it’s just simply not what y’all want to hear. 

Personally I am damn glad We have Quinn because if we didn’t we would most likely have the likes of Hudson Card starting be 6-5 and having to read your bullshit post about how if we had a better QB we would be 10-1.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

I honestly don’t see anyone attacking you. Folks are adamant you’re wrong. That’s not attacking, that’s disagreeing. 

To Derka, any disagreement is an attack on him. 

He brings a lot to this board, knows Texas sports really well, and I’m glad he’s around, but damn does he take everything so personally. 

Does Quinn need refinement still? Absolutely. But holy shit. Anyone who can’t see the exceptional skills when they’re displayed is quarterback blind. If and when Quinn puts it all together from a mechanical perspective, he’s going to be elite. I just hope it happens fast enough to be in burnt orange. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

ISU last year to Worthy.  Could have been OU, but Sark stopped throwing the ball. He is top 3 in the nation in 4Q QBR . He did carry Texas vs Bama. The passing game is the focus of every defense Texas faces, so I am not sure I understand the criticism he doesn’t carry the team.

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1