Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Militarie Gun- too much blink 182 for me. Not enjoyable in the slightest.
Amyl and the sniffers- insane energy as always. Crowd was nuts. Great set.
Ghost funk orchestra- psychedelic jazz/soul. Vocalist was great and the horn section killed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

djunah- chick on guitar/vocals and a dude on drums. they had some interesting songs and her voice was good at times, they were kind of all over the place in terms of style. interested to check out what their studio work sounds like. 

rickshaw billies burger patrol- still the best live band in austin. played several new songs that were super short and heavy. new album "big dumb riffs" coming out in february. crowd showed up for them despite the rain/cold.

pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs-  english psych/doom metal. lead singer was engaging and had good energy. i prefer their newer songs that are shorter..the old stuff drones on a bit much but they were good. 

Always enjoy shows at Empire and the ability to flow from one set to another between the two stages.  Outdoor stage is as protected as can be so even in bad weather, you're protected.  Also scored with a parking spot less than two blocks away.

El Khat - was not sure what to expect but the Arabic-infused sound was fantastic.  Could not understand a word but still an amazing set

They Live - great 80s new wave infused sound.  While I enjoyed their show, they seemed like an odd entry into the Levitation Festival.  Same with...

Say She She - more of a disco girl group sound... again, fun, lots of dancing and good times and the backing band was great but seemed like an odd fit.  They Live was the opening band for Say She She's tour.  Apparently one of the singers from the band was with El Michels Affair.  Left the show midset to go back into the Control Room for...

Pachyman - inject his dub reggae into my veins.  Phenomenal.  Really really good, Puerto Rican tinged dub.  Love it!  

Altin Gun - amazing infusion of modern sounds, psychedelic sounds and Turkish Folk music.  Crowd was packed for their show.

We weren't able to stay for JJUUJJUU or Nolan Potter's Nightmare Band.

Pachyman:

image.thumb.png.906b030077ddd99ee0e332379d86bfe6.png

They Live:

image.thumb.png.07ed4fb534fbd645565e6de720a6f30d.png

El Khat:

image.thumb.png.5d0e8303d19f97e863fac98a032fba72.png

Altin Gun

image.thumb.png.a6517d8606ae6f50b210f33128f2a90f.png

From the back on the way out...

image.thumb.png.c2da33fb55421b173fef7805decd3a32.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh yeah ZZ Top... loved it!!!  Billy's still got it and I thought Elwood is a great fit.  Frank just lurks in the back.  

Need to catch them again because you never know but Billy doesn't seem like he's slowing down.  Also, the show at the Majestic was like the fountain of youth.  I felt so young compared to the average fan.

image.thumb.png.1c5040d670320f22d5e659331c58e9e5.png

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

Also I'm not at the show, but Billy Strings put on one hell of a WWE themed Halloween show! They did basically an entire WWE show intro complete with behind the ring fake beef and everything lol. It's something else to see Macho man on banjo and the Hulkster playing bluegrass guitar lmao

Edit: wow at 42 minutes Moly Tuttle comes out and they play Tubthumping, they're just having a ton of fun

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Captainant said:

Caught Trombone Shorty at the Heights Theatre a few nights ago and it was spectacular! Towards the end of the show he came into the crowd with the sax players and played a song and half right next to us in the crowd - incredible

20231028_210542.jpg

20231028_211544.jpg

20231028_215817.jpg

20231028_215806.jpg

beat venue in Houston. I’m going to Christopher Cross on Sunday 

On 10/31/2023 at 2:27 PM, MidTexHorn said:

Just bought tickets to Black Pumas at the new Stable Hall venue in San Antonio for February. Looking forward to that one.

Got Black Pumas at ACL early December, with reservations at Red Ash (if it opens back up by then). you will NOT be disappointed! Saw them at Mohawk right before they busted out a couple years ago.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:12 AM, C-Man said:

Anybody familiar with Yard Act? Caught a song “100% Endurance” on XMU the other day. Dig it. They’re playing Mohawk in Austin and then Deep Ellum Art Company in Dallas week after next.

I liked them!  I think I said something about them in the SXSW thread. Saw them at Hotel Vegas and enjoyed them a lot.  A little throwback Clash -like.

I also managed to win some Tickets to Gary Clark Jr for NYE on Sun Radio, so that should be fun!

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Saw Futurebirds at Barracuda about 5 years ago and Nude Party at Mohawk for SXSW day show in March.

glad to see them meeting in the middle on Red River at the big venue 

I was at that Futurebirds show (2019). Also saw Nude Party at Luck Reunion in 2019 and then at Antone's later that year.

Should be fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've never seen The Flaming Lips. That will be rectified tomorrow night at Fair Park in Dallas. Can't wait.

I’m going to the dallas show too.

Had tix for Red Clay Strays tonight but I had to travel for work. At the airport now waiting for my flight back to DFW.

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've never seen The Flaming Lips. That will be rectified tomorrow night at Fair Park in Dallas. Can't wait.

5 hours ago, GenXer said:

I’m going to the dallas show too.

Had tix for Red Clay Strays tonight but I had to travel for work. At the airport now waiting for my flight back to DFW.

went tonight in Austin and was fantastic.  They played for 3 hours and I still wanted more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Flaming Lips were way better than the last couple of times I've seen them. Played 2 sets...Yoshimi in its entirety then another hour and a half of songs. As always it was a visual spectacle, and it was mostly the same stuff as the last time i saw them a decade ago. I did find it slightly distracting that all of the lyrics were on the giant screens, was like watching a concert with closed captioning...couldn't help but read them. Wayne Coyne still can't really sing and is a real applause whore but he's likable and the band sounded great. Glad I went. 20231108_230452.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I enjoyed that Lips’ show immensely. Wayne’s voice is shot to hell at times but it doesn’t matter. The show is 3+ hours but at least 45 mins of it is him talking to the crowd. The dude loves the stage. I did grow a bit tired of all his “c’mon, c’mon” summons for cheers and whatever. Seemed a little needy.

“Borderline” cover fucking slayed. Absolute blast of a show, though. Haven’t seen a concert at Fair Park Music Hall in a long time and holy hell was the sound spectacular. Love “Okie from Muskogee” as the play-on music. Also enjoyed the Silver Jews’ “Dallas” during the intermission.

I don’t think the guys behind us liked my joke during the intermission. I turned around and said, “The opener (opening act) was great. Can’t wait to see the headliners.”

Saw Eric Nadel sitting about five rows behind us during the encore. Bumped into him on the way out while waiting for our buddy to get out of the pisser. We talked championships. Said he’s had a hell of a week — saw Rangers win WS and also knocked the Flaming Lips off his scorecard. Good dude.

61b08cf1beacf33001ae081cc559970f.jpg

• Like 1

Flaming Lips show should come with a warning for epileptics. 

Flaming Lips haiku two

Wonderwoman Wayne

sings songs in blowup bubble

with seizure lightshow

Crowd was really into the show but some jagoff in front of me made some joke about the opening band.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Buddy of mine and his wife can no longer make next Sunday's National show in Las Colinas with us. She has two tickets for sale online but as of no, now takers. She's just trying to get back what they spent at this point. Shoot me a DM if you're interested in purchasing them.

EDIT: Thought they were GA Pit tickets. They're actually seats.

Edited by C-Man

20 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I was blown away. I felt energized and grateful to witness something original. He puts on a hell of a show and is unlike anything out there. Highly recommend!
eb21589b980c1478b3747708dee2e570.jpg

Agreed... completely original. I can't think of someone else out there like him and he is immensely talented.  Also very thought-provoking.  Was lucky to see his ACL show on the rail last year. 

image.thumb.png.98e6c46d266ca0e931b66956e98fbf3e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll be seeing Deep Vally with L.A. Witch tomorrow night at Star Theater in Portland.  I like Deep Vally but am really going for L.A. Witch.  I saw them open for The Black Angels 2 years ago. The lead singer is fucking sexy and i dig her vibe. 

240px-L.A._Witch_performing_at_Shanghai'