Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It’s a small sample size, but he has missed two open WRs this year. People love the obvious arm strength, but I am more worried about his touch and accuracy. If you going to throw Nolan Ryan fast balls, you better be on target. WRs don’t have much time to adjust. We will see how good Sark is as a developer of QBs. Maalik is going to have to show better accuracy, than he showed in HS for Texas to win out 

Both valid points and I share the same concern. I'd also emphasize the small sample size though. Murphy simply has not been allowed enough possessions or to throw enough balls in a game for him to show us if he can get dialed in and establish a rhythm. Nor has he been prepped for a game as the starter would be.

Other obvious concerns will be his ability to read defenses and on the fly adjustments.

It sucks we are in this position and that we haven't throttled lesser opponents to allow him more snaps this season.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, B00M said:

Let’s not kid ourselves that QE is a precision passer. He relies on our across the board absurd catch radii. The recent increase in his completion percentage is more a function of the defenses we’re playing and QE just not trying too hard. The most important thing for MM is his understanding of Sark’s offense. If he gets it, easy throws are there all day. If he doesn’t, he’s going to look inaccurate. 

Outside of Mitchell, who has a large catch radius for Texas? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would sacrifice a little accuracy for additional mobility. I’m not calling him to run, just have the situational awareness to take advantage of an opportunity should it present itself.
That has a way of discouraging the hell out of a defense who worked hard to shut everything down only to be had by a 6 yard run by a unchecked QB.

12 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I would sacrifice a little accuracy for additional mobility. I’m not calling him to run, just have the situational awareness to take advantage of an opportunity should it present itself.
That has a way of discouraging the hell out of a defense who worked hard to shut everything down only to be had by a 6 yard run by a unchecked QB.

mobility? Maalik?  Have you seen him on tape?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He has had one or 2 nice catches around the LOS, but that is about it. He also dropped 2 TDs 

Sanders would be my second runner up. Yeah, he's dropped some he shouldn't, but also made some outstanding catches. In particular, I'd say his upper hemisphere is better than the lower.

54 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Outside of Mitchell, who has a large catch radius for Texas? 

I’ve always loved your takes but this one is weird. This is the best receiving group we’ve had since like 2008. Maybe 2005? I don’t know who you’re comparing this squad to but they can catch the ball.

We have an elite pass catching TE for the first time since Jermichael or young Irby. The only ones with maybe sus hands are X and Gunnar? X makes up for his hands with his feet, getting balls into his catch radius no one else can. This is the first time in so long it’s really looked like we had 4 star pass catchers across the offense. 

I can’t be the only one that’s noticed QE completing a lot of what should be easy throws with bad ball location that forced the receiver to stop or fall down.

Edited by B00M
Without bringing back Sports Science with a Time Machine I don’t know how we quantify catch radii lol
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

I’ve always loved your takes but this one is weird. This is the best receiving group we’ve had since like 2008. Maybe 2005? I don’t know who you’re comparing this squad to but they can catch the ball.

We have an elite pass catching TE for the first time since Jermichael or young Irby. The only ones with maybe sus hands are X and Gunnar? X makes up for his hands with his feet, getting balls into his catch radius no one else can. This is the first time in so long it’s really looked like we had 4 star pass catchers across the offense. 

I can’t be the only one that’s noticed QE completing a lot of what should be easy throws with bad ball location that forced the receiver to stop or fall down.

The are good/great receivers, but I don’t think they have a large catch radius. Gerry has even said Sanders will get dinged in the draft for catch radius. Quinn benefits from Sanders and X ability to get open, but they don’t make incredible catches. I am only commenting on catch radius, not overall ability to play receiver. Athletic and fast, yes.. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The are good/great receivers, but I don’t think they have a large catch radius. Gerry has even said Sanders will get dinged in the draft for catch radius. Quinn benefits from Sanders and X ability to get open, but they don’t make incredible catches. I am only commenting on catch radius, not overall ability to play receiver. Athletic and fast, yes.. 

LJH made the most highlight reel grabs out of any of our recent WRs. The very definition of large catch radius. Guy probably saved Sam 10% on his completion percentage in 2018.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

LJH made the most highlight reel grabs out of any of our recent WRs. The very definition of large catch radius. Guy probably saved Sam 10% on his completion percentage in 2018.

You are right but LJH got a lot of back shoulder sideline, stop routes, and jump ball throws in that hero ball terrible Herman offense so he had to show off a catch radius. That whole offense lacked speed or separation so it was all about physicality and tough catches 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

You are right but LJH got a lot of back shoulder sideline, stop routes, and jump ball throws in that hero ball terrible Herman offense so he had to show off a catch radius. That whole offense lacked speed or separation so it was all about physicality and tough catches 

That was a team with crazy catch radius. LJH and Colin Johnson  could go up and catch anything. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

Murphy can throw the deep ball. Run it and throw it over their heads. Having him dissect defenses will be a nightmare. 

Maybe, maybe not. I'm hoping all this time he been on the shelf rehabbing injuries has turned him into a film room monster. Hoping he knows Sarks system inside and out too, which is hopefully why he didn't portal out. 

Just now, Zeus said:

Maybe, maybe not. I'm hoping all this time he been on the shelf rehabbing injuries has turned him into a film room monster. Hoping he knows Sarks system inside and out too, which is hopefully why he didn't portal out. 

I hope Brooks and Baxter both over 100 vs BYU and Maalik is mostly just asked to be a game manager as Texas wins comfortably 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok fair points I’m apparently just arguing the definition of catch radius at this point so I’ll admit defeat and bow out saying I’m pleased with our offense and think Maalik will play well enough to win. We’ll miss QE’s timely runs but maybe MM’s giant ass will shrug off a couple of these sacks QE has taken.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

Ok fair points I’m apparently just arguing the definition of catch radius at this point so I’ll admit defeat and bow out saying I’m pleased with our offense and think Maalik will play well enough to win. We’ll miss QE’s timely runs but maybe MM’s giant ass will shrug off a couple of these sacks QE has taken.

All you gotta do is think about how many contested 50/50 balls we've come down with this season. I can only think of one. Mitchell caught a ball up the left sideline over a DB. That's it. No one else has gone up and got one. The ball thrown to Mitchell yesterday was a 50/50 and he didn't even jump. He is 6'4. DB is 5'10. Colin Johnson or LJH comes down with that ball. 

• Hook 'Em 2

One of sarks positives as an OC is he schemes guys open.   It then just depends on the qb putting it in the basket.  We haven’t seen a whole lot of contested catches.  Other OC’s just think our best players will win on a jump ball.  Who knows if our guys have great catch radius.   Seems like it hasn’t  been tested much outside of worthy not adjusting.  One ball yesterday was on 4th and it was a toss up to AD and the defender showed up early and he had no chance.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 59 Burst said:

I have some bad news for you...

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Did you watch the game yesterday?

We can narrow it down to 1 game, which we won, or we can can look at his history as a play caller.  I’m not doubting how things looked after the 1st qt, but up to this point in his career that has been his calling card.  

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

All you gotta do is think about how many contested 50/50 balls we've come down with this season. I can only think of one. Mitchell caught a ball up the left sideline over a DB. That's it. No one else has gone up and got one. The ball thrown to Mitchell yesterday was a 50/50 and he didn't even jump. He is 6'4. DB is 5'10. Colin Johnson or LJH comes down with that ball. 

hard to jump when you're running sideways trying to find the ball

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Just because he’s…uhh never mind

Deceptive speed

Brings his lunch pail

Faster then he looks

But seriously, at 6'5" he's going to be decently fast enough to get a few yards with his legs. 

Just hope he doesn't get yanked down by that hornets nest on his back

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I will say this.  I'm not sure I've rooted for a player more than I have this kid.  He stuck with his team despite all the hype both before and after him.  He was overlooked in high and, now, in college.  I hope he balls the F out.

Plus he's recruited his ass off for Texas and is a leader in the locker room from what I've read. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

He got interfered with the dude hit him a full second before the ball got there as he was turning to find it

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, TBD said:

We can narrow it down to 1 game, which we won, or we can can look at his history as a play caller.  I’m not doubting how things looked after the 1st qt, but up to this point in his career that has been his calling card.  

I'm not narrowing it down to one game. This isn't the first time his O has struggled.

17 minutes ago, B00M said:

Didn’t Houston switch to a 3 deep defense which is the Achilles heal of Sark’s O? Based on hungover post game analysis reading so hopefully I got the gist 

Bingo. More or less.

19 minutes ago, B00M said:

Didn’t Houston switch to a 3 deep defense which is the Achilles heal of Sark’s O? Based on hungover post game analysis reading so hopefully I got the gist 

I'm ok with dink and dunk to death. 

If Sarks "Achilles heel" is to drop everyone deep and give up 7 yard passes all day I'm sure he'll adjust and we'll take it every time. 

Screens seem to always fucking work for v10+ yds yet we rarely run them. More often it's a fake to the RB then throw to him

Edited by Zeus
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers