Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

I wonder what would happen if Sark... "Let Malik be Malik."
He thew far and away the best deep balls today. And the deep balls are to get DB's on their heels a hair.  Throw in the size and speed of Murphy as a way to break good coverage with a scramble?  Who would scare you more if you were on defense, Quinn or Malik?
Not trying to talk down Quinn just amazed at Murphy's performance and potential to change games with his feet and cannon of an arm.

I have a dream that one day my children will live in a world where fans don’t erroneously attribute dual threat ability to certain QB’s for a reason I can’t quite put a finger on…
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Fuck You 1

I don't think Maalik should starts right now but I really hope he sticks around and is a viable option to push Ewers. I think Ewers needs that threat to elevate his game. Arch isn't that yet and we need to not worry about him seeing the field for another season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Having three really talented QB’s is a good problem to have.  I think Maalik stays around for this season, but all three will not be on the roster next season and I doubt it’s because someone gets drafted. 

Edited by Hook1997

Having three really talented QB’s is a good problem to have.  I think Maalik stays around for this season, but all three will not be on the roster next season and I doubt it’s because someone gets drafted. 
Because the NFL doesn't take a chance and draft QB's based on pro potential more than anything else? Gtfo with that and pay attention to the draft in a couple weeks..

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Dude has a cannon but he’s not a real D1 QB. He could maybe tear up the FCS but he shouldn’t be taking practice reps away from Arch.

What’d you see this spring to reach this conclusion? 

44 minutes ago, B00M said:

What’d you see this spring to reach this conclusion? 

He barely even played on his own high school team iirc, and their record with him speaks for itself. This is his redshirt junior season and he’s battling a true freshman for a backup spot to a redshirt sophomore. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to not say he’s not a viable option at this point despite his tools. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He barely even played on his own high school team iirc, and their record with him speaks for itself. This is his redshirt junior season and he’s battling a true freshman for a backup spot to a redshirt sophomore. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to not say he’s not a viable option at this point despite his tools. 

Redshirt junior? Uh you should check your math on that. Either way, you’re making the decision on paper based on recruiting rankings and NIL... I mean I get it, it just sucks. I hope he stays 1 more season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You have to be trolling. You’re talking about Murphy? 

6AE8BF68-DFEF-4B4B-A33A-FCAC9EE0CE47.jpeg

Edited by Park Gothic
You’re saying the kid in this picture, holding the state championship trophy, didn’t play much for his high school?
  • Haha 6

43 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Shit. I could’ve sworn he’d been on the team for years and years. Well I just don’t think he’s good enough to play at the FBS level.

After today you still think that but you think Hudson Card is good enough?  FBS level includes Texas State and Sam Houston now, you’re crazy.  His arm is better than any of the other QB’s, Sark said it himself but he’s not good enough to start for the likes of Texas State…. Ok

Edited by Hook1997

41 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Shit. I could’ve sworn he’d been on the team for years and years. Well I just don’t think he’s good enough to play at the FBS level.

Are you thinking if this man?! Pretty sure his HS senior team was awful. 3D69556D-D499-4BA4-87FE-0114E6877B90.thumb.jpeg.5995bd6229f9e9a1763c8dcc681d7df2.jpeg

• Haha 3

Didnt Maalik get ranked 2nd in the elite 11 QB camp behind Klubnick but ahead of Ewers? This isnt some unknown Colt McCoy-like situation. The dude would probably be battling for a starting job at a lot of other schools this year. Hell, he might end up in the mix here if Quinn doesnt improve from last year. 

I was looking at his recruiting profile on 24/7 just to see who else offered, and he held offers from almost all of the big boys. I also noticed the HUDL highlights that start playing. The very first pass looks familiar. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10128842/61bae668ff025805704fae54

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Their record was a state title 

is it difficult being this retarded?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Serious question, didn’t he miss some time his senior year with an injury? Or did he play through it and rehab it after the season?

He missed a few games his senior year with an injury and they only played 4 games his junior year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Serious question, didn’t he miss some time his senior year with an injury? Or did he play through it and rehab it after the season?

He broke his ankle or something in the state title game but he slung it

his senior year 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I liked that Murphy seemed to know what the defense was going to give him pre snap and immediately took it even if it was just a dump off. Also his deep balls were the best we’ve seen in quite some time. I’m not going to clamor for him to be QB1 yet, but Ewers leash should be a lot shorter than it was last year.

20 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Speed!?!?!?!?

For a QB coming out of the backfield at 6'5" 235 lbs I think he has decent speed from the movement we saw today when he is apparently healthy.  I think he would have enough "speed" to make plenty of 1st downs in what might otherwise be a coverage sack.  How fast do you need a QB who can scare the fuck out of DB's with his deep ball to cover 8-10 yards and make a 1st down with half the defense 20 yards downfield?  I would say unequivocally fast enough. 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I liked that Murphy seemed to know what the defense was going to give him pre snap and immediately took it even if it was just a dump off. Also his deep balls were the best we’ve seen in quite some time. I’m not going to clamor for him to be QB1 yet, but Ewers leash should be a lot shorter than it was last year.

It's the Spring Game. Everyone is running vanilla shit.

5 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Well the things I mentioned were things I felt he did better than the other QBs who were playing under the same circumstances. 

But different defenses...the dump offs were to basically uncovered guys. He made the right reads but I'd argue wasn't the same circumstances 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

But different defenses...the dump offs were to basically uncovered guys. He made the right reads but I'd argue wasn't the same circumstances 

Agree. back to back plays targeting a walk on is a prime example. Not to mention you don’t have the full field view, so you have no idea if the dump off is the right throw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't we all just be friends... 😉

Look I revived this thread is that if you watched the scrimmage you had to at least contemplate that the kids might be the real deal after a couple years with Sark, and HOPEFULLY being and staying healthy.  The fucking film tells you that.  Now is that enough to push Quinn out of the role of starter?  If the starting game was tomorrow, no way.  But the one thing about college football is shit happens.  And right now you have to feel a lot better about our prospects should "shit happen." 

But can Maalik TAKE the job away from Quinn? Right now I don't think so. And I think that's fine.  But I also think right now that if this kid is actually truly healthy and this is the first time we have seen him healthy?  And actually watched the scrimmage objectively?  I would not be surprised to see this kid take advantage of an opportunity when it arises.  And yeah, I think he is potentially a lot more formidable in scheming defensively against, than Ewers because of his size scrambling. But he is also unproven under the big lights. 

Not saying kick Quinn to the curb or anything like that.  But if you don't think this kid is capable of leading this team after Saturday, I would say you weren't really paying attention.  Glad he is here, showing a high level of capability, and clearly pushing Quinn.  I personally was impressed, that's why I bumped the thread.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2

Let's not forget that Quinn has some injury history.  I can't say he's injury prone.  But in addition to missing a few games last season, he also missed some time in high school with a sports hernia.  There's certainly a chance he could miss a game here or there, which would give Maalik and excellent opportunity to show us what he can do outside the confines of a Spring game.

murphy was fantastic, as was mitchell.  excited about both of these guys.  moore needs to work on the hands.  cook is fast. was encouraged by run defense from dline and not horrible on pass rush either.  i think lbs are going be better than they have been in a while.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:55 PM, Blotto said:

Didnt Maalik get ranked 2nd in the elite 11 QB camp behind Klubnick but ahead of Ewers? This isnt some unknown Colt McCoy-like situation. The dude would probably be battling for a starting job at a lot of other schools this year. Hell, he might end up in the mix here if Quinn doesnt improve from last year. 

I was looking at his recruiting profile on 24/7 just to see who else offered, and he held offers from almost all of the big boys. I also noticed the HUDL highlights that start playing. The very first pass looks familiar. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10128842/61bae668ff025805704fae54

Plenty of open dudes, but hardly always.  He surely looks down the field.  It would be nice to back the secondary off this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

Looking at that HUDL you see how effortlessly he tosses the deep ball.  I think the fact he doesn't need to give it 90+ percent effort to get the ball deep helps him control the air underneath the passes more consistently.  At 2:34 he jakes a couple of scrambles.  Not fast like a gazelle, but serviceable speed able to get first downs if necessary physically.  Again Glad he's here!

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts
  • immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers