Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

On 4/15/2023 at 11:29 PM, Helobious said:

Yes I had him confused for some conglomerated mashup of other players. I’ll stfu.

Good. The more you type the stupider you sound. If you cared to actually watch it, he easily had the best performance of the qb's during the spring game. 

I’m slightly surprised we didn’t hear more about Murphy in practice reports. Based on his spring game performance, he definitely looks like he can push Ewers. 

Good for him. He got hurt, played on a bad team as junior, and of course the 9.95’ers took a shit on his ranking and refused to move him after an excellent senior year. Kid can play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m slightly surprised we didn’t hear more about Murphy in practice reports. Based on his spring game performance, he definitely looks like he can push Ewers. 

Good for him. He got hurt, played on a bad team as junior, and of course the 9.95’ers took a shit on his ranking and refused to move him after an excellent senior year. Kid can play. 

It was the most inexplicable dumbfuckery. I expected a huge bump at the end of the cycle. 

Maybe because there wasnt much to report on? He literally started practicing normally two weeks ago. In addition to coming on the 40 injured and rehabbing his entire Freshman year, he wasn't even fully practicing the first part of Spring camp either. After watching him Saturday it doesn't seem to have held him back any...in fact it's probably best he wasn't pressed into action last year when Quinn was knocked tf out and Card had the gimpy ankle for a couple games. Of course we aren't the only ones who saw that performance, guarantee there are several teams tampering the shit out of him right now. Sark needs to recruit him all over again, but I think in the end he stays for the '23 season.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Been awhile since we had 3 QBs to split the fan base.  This is gonna be a wonderful season to watch.  🤣

We’ll have 2/3 of the fan base apoplectic that another guy isn’t starting rather than the usual 1/2 or less.  It shows how far we’ve come talent wise.  

• Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

We’ll have 2/3 of the fan base apoplectic that another guy isn’t starting rather than the usual 1/2 or less.  It shows how far we’ve come talent wise.  

It's been a very long tradition at Texas to love the second string QB.  I don't think Arch will make it into the rotation this year.  IF he does we are fucked.

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts
4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He got hurt, played on a bad team as junior, and of course the 9.95’ers took a shit on his ranking and refused to move him after an excellent senior year.

He was a top 50 player after his junior year and still top 100 heading into his senior season. He fell during the first half of that senior season. He finished strong, but his ranking never really recovered. 

On 4/15/2023 at 4:20 PM, ousux said:

I'll just say this: Maalik's overall performance today validates Sark/Milwee's QB recruit evaluation and development. Even more impressive considering this kid wasn't able to practice normally until quite recently.

Need to hang on to him for this year..he could legit battle Manning next year for the starting job..assuming Quinn either moves on to the draft or portal. No team is going to be able to stack more than 2 starting grade QB's unless one is a true Freshman knowing they will shirt to start, and yes that includes Georgia, Bama, USC etc. We could be one of the few teams with a legit 3 deep if we manage to keep him from bolting.

Having said that, ready to start? Not quite..but not far away either.

If we're blowing out Rice and Wyoming in September, Maalik should play the second half of both games. Hell maybe use him as a deep pass secret weapon against Bama too. 

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It feels like they’ll move up late bloomers, but not recruits that were once highly ranked and moved down. They generally keep their ranking static no matter what they do as a senior. 

He threw for 2971 yards, 63% comp, 22 TDs, and 9 Int with 82 yards rushing. Huge jump from 55% comp, 9 TDs, adn 4 ints, but it was not like it was some incredible senior year. He was always known as having a huge arm and talent, but needed a lot of work. 

Edited by Codaxx

33 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He threw for 2971 yards, 63% comp, 22 TDs, and 9 Int with 82 yards rushing. Huge jump from 55% comp, 9 TDs, adn 4 ints, but it was not like it was some incredible senior year. He was always known as having a huge arm and talent, but needed a lot of work. 

The stats are actually interesting to me in that honestly I would have thought a guy with his size would have more than 82 rushing yards against nearly 3000 yards of passing.  To me that means he isn't looking to run unless he is forced to.  Or he took a shit ton of sack yardage to offset rushing gains, but with his size that would surprise me.  The main thing to me is that the kid simply hasn't been healthy. But he has been learning the playbook.  One strike against Maalik, I'm sure in Sarks mind is how difficult it can be for any new starting QB to adjust to the speed of the game.  In his closest simulation he looked pretty good though, and Sark's praise seemed heartfelt.

One thing I hope that Sark does this year, is get Maalik some live on field experience asap.  

Just now, horn4life said:

The stats are actually interesting to me in that honestly I would have thought a guy with his size would have more than 82 rushing yards against nearly 3000 yards of passing.  To me that means he isn't looking to run unless he is forced to.  Or he took a shit ton of sack yardage to offset rushing gains, but with his size that would surprise me.  The main thing to me is that the kid simply hasn't been healthy. But he has been learning the playbook.  One strike against Maalik, I'm sure in Sarks mind is how difficult it can be for any new starting QB to adjust to the speed of the game.  In his closest simulation he looked pretty good though, and Sark's praise seemed heartfelt.

One thing I hope that Sark does this year, is get Maalik some live on field experience asap.  

He was never a runner. You are confusing his athleticism with his tan. Arch is probably the most athletic QB on the roster, followed by Quinn, and then Maalik. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He was never a runner. You are confusing his athleticism with his tan. Arch is probably the most athletic QB on the roster, followed by Quinn, and then Maalik. 

Oh c’mon now, his point was based on the dude’s size, not the dreads. But I agree with your overall point that Arch is the runner of the 3. Quinn showed some functional wheels last season and made a couple guys miss. On film Maalik looks pretty slow and lumbering. Definitely not a Tom Herman Hero Ball QB but who cares if he’s a competent operator of the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, B00M said:

Oh c’mon now, his point was based on the dude’s size, not the dreads. But I agree with your overall point that Arch is the runner of the 3. Quinn showed some functional wheels last season and made a couple guys miss. On film Maalik looks pretty slow and lumbering. Definitely not a Tom Herman Hero Ball QB but who cares if he’s a competent operator of the offense. 

Big slow QBs are good in short yardage, but running is also a mentality. Elhinger was stocky and slow. Some how was a very good runner, despite looking like a drunk evading the police. Maalik does not have the mentality or the wheels to be a running QB. Ewers ran for 570 yards in his lone healthy season at South Lake. He is actually a much better runner, than people give him credit for. I still think Arch is the most athletic though.

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

Very Byron Leftwich-esque.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Big slow QBs are good in short yardage, but running is also a mentality. Elhinger was stocky and slow. Some how was a very good runner, despite looking like a drunk evading the police. Maalik does not have the mentality or the wheels to be a running QB. Ewers ran for 570 yards in his lone healthy season at South Lake. He is actually a much better runner, than people give him credit for. I still think Arch is the most athletic though.

Yeah I think a bout how much scheming the opposing defensive coordinator spends contemplating the Quinn Ewers running threat.  About as long as it takes to reply to, You want fries with that?  And mutherfucker, it has nothing at all to do with a guys skin color.  So an extra fuck you for that.  Maalik is larger and would be more of a worry for defenses. To be unable to admit that is well, what I would expect of somebody who equates skin color with speed, and probably a lot of other ignorant as fuck opinions.

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

Yeah I think a bout how much scheming the opposing defensive coordinator spends contemplating the Quinn Ewers running threat.  About as long as it takes to reply to, You want fries with that?  And mutherfucker, it has nothing at all to do with a guys skin color.  So an extra fuck you for that.  Maalik is larger and would be more of a worry for defenses. To be unable to admit that is well, what I would expect of somebody who equates skin color with speed, and probably a lot of other ignorant as fuck opinions.

Look at the internet bad ass. No, Maalik will not be more of a worry. Larger does not equate to a bigger worry. Do you think defenses worried more about Jared Lorenzen or Lamar Jackson's ability to hurt them running? To be honest Sark does not run QBs, so the point is not pertinent to the Texas offense. Please tell me how I am equating skin color with speed? I am saying the milky white guy is the most athletic. I am saying the exact opposite. https://www.rif.org/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The way Maalik Jedi-mind-tricks those DBs into absolutely refusing to be within 5 steps of any receiver is impressive.  Must be nice to have the fan base judge you on your ability to thread the needle into a spot 5 yards wide.  

He might end up being the love child of Vince and Colt but you wouldn’t know it based on silly clips like these.  

2 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Per Quan Cosby on the B & E show, VY has been mentoring MM. Listening to CS talk about the offense after the Spring Game, I'm taste-testing the Kool-Aide.

Long discussions over dinner at The Cheesecake Factory?

23 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

The way Maalik Jedi-mind-tricks those DBs into absolutely refusing to be within 5 steps of any receiver is impressive.  Must be nice to have the fan base judge you on your ability to thread the needle into a spot 5 yards wide.  

He might end up being the love child of Vince and Colt but you wouldn’t know it based on silly clips like these.  

And yet he still made the throws, which is all he could do.  It would have been nice if we could hit wide open receivers without throwing it OOB or 5 yards too long last year.

Edited by OU Sucks

18 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

And yet he still made the throws, which is all he could do.  It would have been nice if we could hit wide open receivers without throwing it OOB or 5 yards too long last year.

I’m not defending QE from last year,  nor am I believing the coachspeak yet that he has improved.  Just saying that putting any stock at all into a hype video of a guy throwing to wide open receivers in a game where he knows he cannot be hit is silly.  If he outplays Quinn in real games I’ll be right there with everybody calling for change.   These spring games might mimic game day with regards to the team schedule, locker room and sideline routines, getting plays out etc… but the play on the field just isn’t even close to game day atmosphere.  We don’t know jack shit about anyone on the team that we didn’t already know Friday.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I made this thread when Quinn was hurt and Card was out there stinking it up. 

As of right now I think Quinn should starts, Maalik should get some PT against cupcakes to make sure he's ready for game action in case he's needed.

Everyone is guaranteeing Arch starting next year and Maalik transferring, Florida fans are tapping their foot wondering why he's not in the portal already.

I just don't see it that way, I see Murphy as being actually bought into the program and his teammates. He's better off learning the system while he was hurt and probably starting next year. Then Arch is better off learning the system for two years and starting the following year.

All this rush to start true freshman or RS freshman at QB is silly, the best situation is putting them out there when they are developed and confident, with a few years of college strength and conditioning under their belt so they don't get hurt. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’m not defending QE from last year,  nor am I believing the coachspeak yet that he has improved.  Just saying that putting any stock at all into a hype video of a guy throwing to wide open receivers in a game where he knows he cannot be hit is silly.  If he outplays Quinn in real games I’ll be right there with everybody calling for change.   These spring games might mimic game day with regards to the team schedule, locker room and sideline routines, getting plays out etc… but the play on the field just isn’t even close to game day atmosphere.  We don’t know jack shit about anyone on the team that we didn’t already know Friday.  

Z7HeRxU.png

5 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I made this thread when Quinn was hurt and Card was out there stinking it up. 

As of right now I think Quinn should starts, Maalik should get some PT against cupcakes to make sure he's ready for game action in case he's needed.

Everyone is guaranteeing Arch starting next year and Maalik transferring, Florida fans are tapping their foot wondering why he's not in the portal already.

I just don't see it that way, I see Murphy as being actually bought into the program and his teammates. He's better off learning the system while he was hurt and probably starting next year. Then Arch is better off learning the system for two years and starting the following year.

All this rush to start true freshman or RS freshman at QB is silly, the best situation is putting them out there when they are developed and confident, with a few years of college strength and conditioning under their belt so they don't get hurt. 

There were many moments where Quinn was far worse than Card.  We just didn't give Card a chance to go 19 for 49

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:14 PM, SarkAfterDark said:

I liked that Murphy seemed to know what the defense was going to give him pre snap and immediately took it even if it was just a dump off. Also his deep balls were the best we’ve seen in quite some time. I’m not going to clamor for him to be QB1 yet, but Ewers leash should be a lot shorter than it was last year.

His leash should have actually been shorter than it was last year last year, so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

There were many moments where Quinn was far worse than Card.  We just didn't give Card a chance to go 19 for 49

Well the eye test for me is another story than stats. Card was crumbling under pressure and taking bad sacks. Guys were dropping wide open balls from Quinn too. It is what it is with both guys last year, we got a below average passing game. 

The great thing about Sarks offense is just competent QB play will get it done. It's literally the opposite of Turtle's hero ball QB running all the time offense. 

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Maybe you are making a reference I don't understand? So please explain your "thoughts..."

I have seen/heard the “Maalik is a running threat” take at least once a month since he we started recruiting him, and there is no plausible explanation for it if you’ve watched any of his film. So is it just a lazy assumption based on skin tone? Or something else?

Edited by Nope
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Well the eye test for me is another story than stats. Card was crumbling under pressure and taking bad sacks. Guys were dropping wide open balls from Quinn too. It is what it is with both guys last year, we got a below average passing game. 

The great thing about Sarks offense is just competent QB play will get it done. It's literally the opposite of Turtle's hero ball QB running all the time offense. 

Speaking of eye tests, Card was sacked 3 total times in the 3 games he started.

I rewatched the spring game 5 diff times Maalik reminds me of Mahommes with a little Vince young in him.  I think by the 3rd game Maalik will come in and never let go of the starting role.  Big 12 title this year and a CFP playoff appearance. Quinn will transfer to Tech after we leave for the SEC. Manning will win heisman after Maalik gets drafted by the Texans 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Zeus said:

The great thing about Sarks offense is just competent QB play will get it done.

The problem is that "just competent" quarterbacking gets it done about 2 out of 3 games. That has been true of Sark's HC for his entire career. We saw it last season, and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of improvement. I dunno, having more good players may not be enough to get over that hump. I'm cautiously optimistic, but...

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I rewatched the spring game 5 diff times Maalik reminds me of Mahommes with a little Vince young in him.  I think by the 3rd game Maalik will come in and never let go of the starting role.  Big 12 title this year and a CFP playoff appearance. Quinn will transfer to Tech after we leave for the SEC. Manning will win heisman after Maalik gets drafted by the Texans 

Way To Go Good Job GIF by Justin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

Well the eye test for me is another story than stats. Card was crumbling under pressure and taking bad sacks.

I think you're mixing Year 1 Card with Year 2 Card, much like some unnamed poster confused Maalik with a conglomeration of Texas' black QBs from the past decade.  Year 1 Card crumbled under pressure and took bad sacks.  Last year, Hudson did a much better job of eluding and delivering throws under pressure, and scrambling for his life, all while on a bad leg.  Hope Quinn can make a similar or better year 2 leap.  If he struggles again, I hope Maalik at least gets a shot.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Speaking of eye tests, Card was sacked 3 total times in the 3 games he started.

lol.

you are correct in that he started 3 games and was sacked 3 times in those games. he started against #101 DFEI team West Virginia, #26 Texas Tech and #68 UTSA.

...he also attempted 27 total passes in 2 other games vs Alabama and UL-M and was sacked 5 times in those games (3 vs Alabama 2 vs UL-M)

he played the last 5 min of the 3rd Q and all of the 4th against UL-M and played 3 quarters against Alabama so not like he played 1 drive and was done.

what a weird stat for someone to bring up "he was only sacked 3 total times in the game he started" and then leave off that he was sacked more in the games he didn't start and had way fewer pass attempts in.

image.png.3ca27ad1d9316329c70f30a7630b2f1f.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers