Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

lol.

you are correct in that he started 3 games and was sacked 3 times in those games. he started against #101 DFEI team West Virginia, #26 Texas Tech and #68 UTSA.

...he also attempted 27 total passes in 2 other games vs Alabama and UL-M and was sacked 5 times in those games (3 vs Alabama 2 vs UL-M)

he played the last 5 min of the 3rd Q and all of the 4th against UL-M and played 3 quarters against Alabama so not like he played 1 drive and was done.

what a weird stat for someone to bring up "he was only sacked 3 total times in the game he started" and then leave off that he was sacked more in the games he didn't start and had way fewer pass attempts in.

image.png.3ca27ad1d9316329c70f30a7630b2f1f.png

I don’t think that’s weird. 1) I don’t think garbage time against ULM with a bunch of backups is indicative of anything at all; 2) I didn’t include Alabama because it makes a real difference preparing all week to start vs being thrown in unexpectedly. But sure, we can include that one for the sake of argument.

I still don’t see this plethora of bad sacks you mentioned. But rehashing last season doesn’t really matter at this point I guess.

32 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t think that’s weird. 1) I don’t think garbage time against ULM with a bunch of backups is indicative of anything at all; 2) I didn’t include Alabama because it makes a real difference preparing all week to start vs being thrown in unexpectedly. But sure, we can include that one for the sake of argument.

I still don’t see this plethora of bad sacks you mentioned. But rehashing last season doesn’t really matter at this point I guess.

i never said anything about him taking good or bad sacks. i just pointed out that he was sacked 8 times last season.

• Hook 'Em 1

From watching the spring game, I don't take much away from it.  Murphy made the throws available to him.  But he really only had to make one read in most of those plays.......We didn't get to see him have to progress thru several reads outside of like two plays.  I want to see him in live game action looking off safeties and making throws.  I think his upside is huge but I'd like to know how much of the offense he actually knows.

I'm staring at the kool-aid in the fridge....... I don't think we've had this much talent and depth in a very looooooong time.

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

Lol what the fuck on 3

I think Texas fans are over-reacting to the spring game, but that is just crazy. Maalik has never thrown a pass in a real game. If you you gunning for a QB to come in and start, there are a lot safer choices. That would makes sense if that was about the Tulane QB 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I think Texas fans are over-reacting to the spring game, but that is just crazy. Maalik has never thrown a pass in a real game. If you you gunning for a QB to come in and start, there are a lot safer choices. That would makes sense if that was about the Tulane QB 

Have you never met Texas fans?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Do you even Quinn Ewers, bro?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Yeah well Florida is replacing AR15 who went God mode from time to time and kept em in games with a shitty defense. Not that Maalik can run lol.

But right now it's Graham Mertz... That's already the safe choice, Florida fans want that game changer QB..

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Yeah well Florida is replacing AR15 who went God mode from time to time and kept em in games with a shitty defense. Not that Maalik can run lol.

But right now it's Graham Mertz... That's already the safe choice, Florida fans want that game changer QB..

Are you sure Florida fans are that smart?

I know it's portal era and anything can happen but from what I recall about the decision and process of Maalik committing to us is because of Sark for the development and he knew he was a long term project. If we can hold onto him and he can bridge us between Quinn and Arch potentially would be great or even retain him long enough to start as a RS junior or something of that nature would be outstanding.

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, brojangles2 said:

Yea that blazing 1 of stat line really confirms that. Stfu. 

He has a certain presence and cadence. You can see it pretty obviously if you have ever been around high performance teams. Quinn has never had the spark, he's just extremely good. Bijan is similar he's not a spark on the field he's a one man difference maker. Roschon has the same spark. He adds more than just himself on the field.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

He has a certain presence and cadence. You can see it pretty obviously if you have ever been around high performance teams. Quinn has never had the spark, he's just extremely good. Bijan is similar he's not a spark on the field he's a one man difference maker. Roschon has the same spark. He adds more than just himself on the field.

We must have watched a different series. He throws the ball 4 million miles an hour. I hope Quinn comes back soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Nothing about what I’ve seen from MM provides me confidence as a fan. It’s clear that he’s confident in himself, and that he has an absolute howitzer for an arm. Beyond that, what’s on the film is incomplete at best. The one pass he missed today is one Quinn makes in his sleep. Murphy threw a 4 seamer and I think it would have been a tough catch even if it were on target. Obviously it definitely wasn’t.

I’m not writing him off, but I am completely puzzled by the coalition of fans that are convinced he’s ready to fuck shit up.

I swear some of you have football autism or something. There’s a lot more to playing QB than throwing the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I swear some of you have football autism or something. There’s a lot more to playing QB than throwing the ball. 

That’s exactly why I’m not sure what we have in MM yet. What we know he can do is throw a football. Super far and/or super fast. I have seen nothing that tells me how good of a QB he’s going to be.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

That’s exactly why I’m not sure what we have in MM yet. What we know he can do is throw a football. Super far and/or super fast. I have seen nothing that tells me how good of a QB he’s going to be.

And you know, I think we’ve all swallowed the “Sark is a QB whisperer” for so long we just accept he’s making the correct decision. But I’m not sure anymore, maybe Malik is a spare and maybe he has IT during a game. We don’t know but I’m thinking WTF, let’s see

1 minute ago, Dilligas said:

And you know, I think we’ve all swallowed the “Sark is a QB whisperer” for so long we just accept he’s making the correct decision. But I’m not sure anymore, maybe Malik is a spare and maybe he has IT during a game. We don’t know but I’m thinking WTF, let’s see

There’s only one QB on the roster that has won a championship. 

I like that he came into the game and on his first throw made a quick read and barely missed an open receiver way downfield. I didn't see Quinn make a read that good all fucking game.

Agree he needs to go easy on the hot mustard. He almost airmailed J Whitt on his 2nd throw. 

Is he a better QB and option for the rest of the season than Quinn? Probably not. But he could maybe be pretty good. 

And this is total fm radio bullshit conjecture but fuck me if he doesn’t have some swagger and look the part. This team is good enough to win with a leader that makes just enough plays to outscore the other team. 

Let's see what Sark can dial up for him with a week of prep.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

Based on what I’ve seen I wouldn’t want to have to catch a ball thrown by MM. I agree that the kid seems to have an aura about him, but I have no idea how that translates on the field. Seems he can make reads, but every throw is a laser.

I've heard we have a group of NFL level talent at WR and TE, so assume they can catch them

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched the entire game sober and didn't see Quinn make a read that good that fast all game. 

There is literally no way to know that without seeing the all 22 and breaking down each drop back. Quinn was fucking dealing and took shots when they were there and checked it down when they weren’t. Or that’s what it looked like based on what we saw.

Btw, Murphy had an easier throw to Brooks in the flat that would have almost certainly gotten the first down, which was the main objective on that play. I don’t care how fast you read if you can’t move the sticks.
  • Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Yeah people are always trying to say the back up has some "spark" or "fire" or je ne sais quoi that the starter doesn't have.  And they may look like they do, until they don't.

That said, Ewers is clearly not a VY or Ehlinger type leader.  His leadership may be effective, maybe not.  Someone else may be more fiery, but it doesn't mean they're a better QB or will win more games.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I watched the entire game sober and didn't see Quinn make a read that good that fast all game. 

Not even sure Murphy was reading anything on that play. This is stupid dissecting one throw and determining if Murphy will be good this season. 

Fact: Ewers has made that throw all season. 

Fact: Asking Murphy for that route to be his first throw is tough and he shouldn’t be judge on it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

Quinn was fucking dealing

Lol - I'm the one that's drunk? Dude threw 15 checkdowns and a nice ball to Worthy. I mean for fuck's sake he almost overthrew AD on the touchdown where he was wide open. And he had like 12 seconds to throw the ball multiple times.

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Btw, Murphy had an easier throw to Brooks in the flat that would have almost certainly gotten the first down

Yeah it probably would have. That's not what I'm commenting on. Mitchell was open and MM made the correct read that would have resulted in more yardage and threw it a tick behind him. I don't know if it was the right decision or not - but I liked that he at least attempted it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, RichUT said:

There is literally no way to know that without seeing the all 22 and breaking down each drop back. Quinn was fucking dealing and took shots when they were there and checked it down when they weren’t. Or that’s what it looked like based on what we saw.

Btw, Murphy had an easier throw to Brooks in the flat that would have almost certainly gotten the first down, which was the main objective on that play. I don’t care how fast you read if you can’t move the sticks.

Pretty sure someone was crashing down on Brooks which is why MM decided to go to AD. I thought it was the right read, just threw it behind him.

Pretty sure someone was crashing down on Brooks which is why MM decided to go to AD. I thought it was the right read, just threw it behind him.

I went back to look but YTTV won’t let me screenshot. There wasn’t anyone crashing. At worst Brooks would have had a 1v1 and needed to pick up a yard or so.

Regardless, trying to draw meaningful insights of any kind from a single play is a waste of everyone’s time. Seems like we’re about to get a bunch of data on MM. I have no idea what to expect, but I’m for sure hoping the data is positive.
  • Hook 'Em 5

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers