Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

1 hour ago, brojangles2 said:

Yea that blazing 1 of stat line really confirms that. Stfu. 

Quinn is amazing sometimes but goes absolutely cold and takes bad sacks sometimes as well.

He had J Whitt wide open on that third down sack he took. 

I just want to win. Murphy looked awesome in the spring game too. Dudes got a rocket and he's huge. 

• Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I went back to look but YTTV won’t let me screenshot. There wasn’t anyone crashing. At worst Brooks would have had a 1v1 and needed to pick up a yard or so.

Regardless, trying to draw meaningful insights of any kind from a single play is a waste of everyone’s time. Seems like we’re about to get a bunch of data on MM. I have no idea what to expect, but I’m for sure hoping the data is positive.

That's fair. I just liked that he quickly found a guy open downfield and that he had the nuts to throw that pass. That tells me something about who he is as a player and in my opinion it's something that I want in a QB. The game manager, check down shit can be effective but it gets old - and typically at the highest level in CFB you need more than that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quinn's quick checkdowns without going through his progressons were getting on my nerve. He seems to overshoot one way or the other, like throwing too many long balls or too many checkdowns. We need someone who can strike a balance. I am ready to see what Maalik can do. 

9 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Quinn's quick checkdowns without going through his progressons were getting on my nerve. He seems to overshoot one way or the other, like throwing too many long balls or too many checkdowns. We need someone who can strike a balance. I am ready to see what Maalik can do. 

No one has mentioned not seeing Mitchell wide open uncovered in the back of the end zone and throwing out of bounds not close to being catchable to Worthy. I'm just not convinced Maalik will be better unless he decides to start putting some touch on the ball.

• Like 2

No one has mentioned not seeing Mitchell wide open uncovered in the back of the end zone and throwing out of bounds not close to being catchable to Worthy. I'm just not convinced Maalik will be better unless he decides to start putting some touch on the ball.

Pretty sure brooks was open just past the line as well.

Probably because he wasn’t “wide open”. Tech was in a zone and there was a guy in the area with eyes on Quinn. There was a small window had Quinn thrown high enough, but it was far from a gimme. It was also three plays after his injury and I’m guessing that played into his decision to throw it away and save the FG chance.

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Probably because he wasn’t “wide open”. Tech was in a zone and there was a guy in the area with eyes on Quinn. There was a small window had Quinn thrown high enough, but it was far from a gimme. It was also three plays after his injury and I’m guessing that played into his decision to throw it away and save the FG chance.

That guy wasn't close enough to make a play on the ball. It's a easy TD is Quinn just see's it. You can tell Quinn never looked.

10 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Excited Happy Birthday GIF

• Haha 4

He has a cannon. Just needs to aim better. I'm glad he'll get an entire week of practice with the 1s to get comfortable. Hopefully Sark installs an offense Maalik is comfortable running but with Sark it's probably the "go do what Quinn does" offense. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, ousux said:
15 hours ago, stork642 said:
He doesn’t throw a catchable ball.  Until he learns that this thread is more delusional than CR.  

Based on one single off target pass? I reserve judgement until he gets more time under live fire.

It’s a small sample size, but he has missed two open WRs this year. People love the obvious arm strength, but I am more worried about his touch and accuracy. If you going to throw Nolan Ryan fast balls, you better be on target. WRs don’t have much time to adjust. We will see how good Sark is as a developer of QBs. Maalik is going to have to show better accuracy, than he showed in HS for Texas to win out 

16 hours ago, RichUT said:

There is literally no way to know that without seeing the all 22 and breaking down each drop back. Quinn was fucking dealing and took shots when they were there and checked it down when they weren’t. Or that’s what it looked like based on what we saw.

Btw, Murphy had an easier throw to Brooks in the flat that would have almost certainly gotten the first down, which was the main objective on that play. I don’t care how fast you read if you can’t move the sticks.

Ewers did miss seeing some glaringly wide open receivers with a couple of his check down passes., however he was often scrambling for life due to the marshmallow OL play those snaps.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RichUT said:

I went back to look but YTTV won’t let me screenshot. There wasn’t anyone crashing. At worst Brooks would have had a 1v1 and needed to pick up a yard or so.

Regardless, trying to draw meaningful insights of any kind from a single play is a waste of everyone’s time. Seems like we’re about to get a bunch of data on MM. I have no idea what to expect, but I’m for sure hoping the data is positive.

he's going to do what all cannon armed no experience Qbs do, wait for his receiver to be wide open and throw the ball as hard as he can at them.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Hot take incoming:

MM may not be an upgrad at quarterback next week, but he will be an upgrade for our offense because his lack of experience will for Sark to run the damn ball.

Oh so you're really daring Sark to not run the ball now just to prove you wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Ewers did miss seeing some glaringly wide open receivers with a couple of his check down passes., however he was often scrambling for life due to the marshmallow OL play those snaps.

Quinn's pocket presence did him no favors, but checking the ball down is better than taking a sack. Maybe MM will be better at identifying the blitz and signaling a hot route.

But realistically, his biggest concern will be the poor accuracy on his rockets. Quinn throws soft balls with pace, MM throws passes like ATL Vick did.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s a small sample size, but he has missed two open WRs this year. People love the obvious arm strength, but I am more worried about his touch and accuracy. If you going to throw Nolan Ryan fast balls, you better be on target. WRs don’t have much time to adjust. We will see how good Sark is as a developer of QBs. Maalik is going to have to show better accuracy, than he showed in HS for Texas to win out 
If we used the same sample size we would have written off Quinn early against Rice. Murphy may not be ready to take the reigns of a high profile top 10 team, but we don't really know that yet. I think we'll get the opportunity to find out against BYU in a few days.

Vogel says Murphy is also dinged. Are they running the Tom Herman offense in practice? 

I think Arch starts against BYU. Better win. If Arch plays at all the whole country will watch.’
Dinged how? Fuck sakes. As much as I'd like to see Arch get a shot, not sure he's ready just yet.

11 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

If we used the same sample size we would have written off Quinn early against Rice. Murphy may not be ready to take the reins of a high profile top 10 team, but we don't really know that yet. I think we'll get the opportunity to find out against BYU in a few days.

The difference being Ewers was very accurate as a recruit. Maalik completed less than 60% of his passes in HS, so accuracy is a reasonable question. Most QBs don’t improve in accuracy as they progress through levels of competition. Josh Allen is the exception, not the rule 

19 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

While a stupid play call, Auburn did have a great juke on first defender.

Yeah you knew that play was fucked when he immediately had to make a dude miss. I was definitely heated we didn’t EITHER go for it with our fucking offense OR kick the fucking field goal. But props to Sideshow Bert for that move 

Edited by B00M
I wanted those points, I was good with the FG attempt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The difference being Ewers was very accurate as a recruit. Maalik completed less than 60% of his passes in HS, so accuracy is a reasonable question. Most QBs don’t improve in accuracy as they progress through levels of competition. Josh Allen is the exception, not the rule 
Sometimes the "accuracy" stat is skewed by the quality of receivers. I watched a few of Maalik's games and his team was not of the highest level so to speak. They would have gotten mauled by any of Quinn's Southlake Carrol teams. Does that mean Murphy and Quinn are equal? No it doesn't...but it does mean accuracy stats from high school need to be taken into context. All it takes is one receiver who catches anything even remotely catchable to skew stats.
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Let’s not kid ourselves that QE is a precision passer. He relies on our across the board absurd catch radii. The recent increase in his completion percentage is more a function of the defenses we’re playing and QE just not trying too hard. The most important thing for MM is his understanding of Sark’s offense. If he gets it, easy throws are there all day. If he doesn’t, he’s going to look inaccurate. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers