Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

The big issue with the turnovers against K-State is they have one of the best red zone offenses in the country. You give them a short field and it almost always turns into points and most likely 7 points. 

It really is a miracle we won that game against K-State because we did everything needed to play into their strength. I'm not saying we can win again turning the ball over like we did against K-State but they are particularly good at punishing teams that do.  

The thing the reactionary, anti-MM posters one this thread fail to recognize is that Maalik was only responsible for one of those 3 TOs.  

Yep, it was a really bad one, but it was only 1.  The other pick wasn't entirely his fault.  He threw that ball before Cook was pushed down and IIRC the guy who did the pushing made the pick.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The thing the reactionary, anti-MM posters one this thread fail to recognize is that Maalik was only responsible for one of those 3 TOs.  

Yep, it was a really bad one, but it was only 1.  The other pick wasn't entirely his fault.  He threw that ball before Cook was pushed down and IIRC the guy who did the pushing made the pick.  

The interception to Cook was still definitely his fault. Cook fell down but it still looked like double coverage. Also, he could have easily picked up a 1st down here if he just runs the ball. 

I think this was the turning point in the game. Keep the drive going here with no turnover and it might have been a blowout. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Maalik didn't play good at all. The truth is the team had a 20 point lead with about a quarter to go and melted the fuck down. Someone needed to pull them out of the spiral and MM kept feeding into the spiral. 

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Most def his issue. Its been two games. I will take the KSU game without the dumb throw to an O-lineman and be fine with it. The Cook one is on Cook. Quit flopping for calls, stay on your feet, and run your damn route. Hope he learned a lesson.

Cook isnt on Cook, come on. Sometimes shit just happens. You have no idea if that pass ends up in Cook's hands, KSU's hands, or on the turf. You are also conveniently forgetting about the dropped Int in the endzone, which was a terrible throw. You also forgetting about the dropped Int at midfield. Even if you assume the Cook pass is good, you still have 3 other obvios turnover worthy throws. I am sure we could both find more, if we looked. You cant bitch about 1 unlucky turnover and ignore the lucky ones that ended up on the turf. Keep in mind all of these have happened in DKR and in what were comfortable games (at the time). 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I think if Maalik starts this week Sark will ask him to run the ball a few times on the RPO/Option plays.  Without the threat of a QB run, those plays are worthless.  In fact we saw that toward the end of the game when the KSU linebackers pretty much ignored MM as a running option and just played the back out wide.  

Our RPO is based on what the seam defender does. If we belly the ball and he crashes we pull it and throw it behind him. Murphy is particularly good at that and it was really working this weekend. Murphy isn't a runner. If you don't believe me try watching the play in high school where he broke his ankle. 

Most passes in 2nd half had me closing my eyes and praying. But, the last scoring drive was impressive, he had some really good throws to AD and then a pressure throw on 4th and 4 to JT. With all the pressure and inconsistency from the last 2.5 quarters of play, I thought that was impressive. If we don't get the 1st down there, we likely lose. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Maalik didn't play good at all. The truth is the team had a 20 point lead with about a quarter to go and melted the fuck down. Someone needed to pull them out of the spiral and MM kept feeding into the spiral. 

So the blocked punt and the Brooks fumble are on Maalik too?

As for dropped INTs, so?  They were dropped, get over it.  We dropped at least 1 INT too.  

And perhaps our defensive backfield can learn to cover and not give up nearly 327 passing to Howard...his career high.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Our RPO is based on what the seam defender does. If we belly the ball and he crashes we pull it and throw it behind him. Murphy is particularly good at that and it was really working this weekend. Murphy isn't a runner. If you don't believe me try watching the play in high school where he broke his ankle. 

You have to run it a few times to keep them honest.  Otherwise it's just play action.  

By the way, I was mostly referencing the, I think 4th down option play to Baxter later in the game.  Looked like MM could have kept the ball because the defenders ran toward Baxter without even hesitating.

Edited by DixonHur

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This, you people who want him to scramble, that's not at all who he is. Like asking Stephen Hawking to run stairs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Cook isnt on Cook, come on. Sometimes shit just happens. You have no idea if that pass ends up in Cook's hands, KSU's hands, or on the turf. You are also conveniently forgetting about the dropped Int in the endzone, which was a terrible throw. You also forgetting about the dropped Int at midfield. Even if you assume the Cook pass is good, you still have 3 other obvios turnover worthy throws. I am sure we could both find more, if we looked. You cant bitch about 1 unlucky turnover and ignore the lucky ones that ended up on the turf. Keep in mind all of these have happened in DKR and in what were comfortable games (at the time). 

I personally think Cook went down a little too easy. Just me though. It was a 7 route, so where the ball was thrown there would've only been Cook and the guy who was running with him. Ball was placed pretty well. The midfield throw looked like he either expected an in cut, or thought it was man. I don't know if Texas has sight adjustments on their routes but he threw it like he expected it there. The endzone wasn't a pick. Dude dove for it and tipped it with one hand. Would've been a miracle if he somehow caught that.

Look, I don't think he played well at all. I am just saying that it feels like people here are making the assumption that Arch will step in and all his balls will be on target and he won't turn the ball over himself.

Just now, Thatguy said:

I personally think Cook went down a little too easy. Just me though. It was a 7 route, so where the ball was thrown there would've only been Cook and the guy who was running with him. Ball was placed pretty well. The midfield throw looked like he either expected an in cut, or thought it was man. I don't know if Texas has sight adjustments on their routes but he threw it like he expected it there. The endzone wasn't a pick. Dude dove for it and tipped it with one hand. Would've been a miracle if he somehow caught that.

Look, I don't think he played well at all. I am just saying that it feels like people here are making the assumption that Arch will step in and all his balls will be on target and he won't turn the ball over himself.

I'd be surprised if he was not better than what we saw last Saturday.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

This, you people who want him to scramble, that's not at all who he is. Like asking Stephen Hawking to run stairs.

This is just utter BS.  No one is asking him to be VY, or even Quinn, but if the receivers are covered and there is an open lane and you can pick up a few yards, do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

You have to run it a few times to keep them honest.  Otherwise it's just play action.  

By the way, I was mostly referencing the, I think 4th down option play to Baxter later in the game.  Looked like MM could have kept the ball because the defenders ran toward Baxter without even hesitating.

I think you really really need to watch MM highlight tape. I honestly think I am more mobile than he is and I just took some high blood pressure meds.

• Haha 4

Maalik had a rough patch after an amazing patch.  The off the back foot floater is something he has got to correct.  That's on him.

I like many of you wish we had more QB runs out of him.  But I also understand the desire to not be down to only one QB and no backups.  If Maalik goes down, then it's Arch and then Savion Red?  I also understand how teams get overconfident when it comes easy, and the intensity wanes a bit, and then all of a sudden a wipeout is a dogfight.  I think most teams know we are not going to run him unless Ewers is a real possibility to come in.  So it takes a dimension away, one that I think could be very important in making those elusive first downs on sustained drives.  Right now we either strike like lightning, or fizzle on offense.

It seems to me that they have tried to get him to take a little bit of heat off the ball. Anyone else have that assessment?  

Anyhow the kid has been hot and cold.  It will be interesting to see how he does this weekend.  And for those lighting him up?  Ewers wasn't exactly a world beater last year as you recall.  Each game is more experience, and if he can just not toss that fucking floater...

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

This is just utter BS.  No one is asking him to be VY, or even Quinn, but if the receivers are covered and there is an open lane and you can pick up a few yards, do it.

I still can't believe there are people arguing this. If teams are giving you a free 10 to 15 yards you take it. You don't have to a dual-threat QB to pick up yards in the run game when teams are giving it to you.  

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

I think you really really need to watch MM highlight tape. I honestly think I am more mobile than he is and I just took some high blood pressure meds.

I get it, I was the one chastising people who said Maalik would be a running QB when Quinn went down.

My point is that even Byron Leftwich and Big Ben ran the ball when it was open.

9 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Now look at the play above where there is nobody on the right side of the field. 

It doesn't take VY for a QB to pick up 10 to 15 yards in the run game. We're not saying MM has to "scramble". We're saying he should take free yards given to him. If MM is incapable of picking up yards (like the play above) then he simply shouldn't be on the field. 

It's literally a team just daring him to jog for 15 yards as they drop everyone in coverage 20 yards down the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

So you think we never hand the ball off on RPO plays? It is literally a run/pass option. Whatever the defense does, the QB does the opposite. We ran the ball fairly well Saturday, but MM was not good. Not just the dropped interceptions, it was the throws high and behind the receivers. Worthy was visibly frustrated, because he was unable to generate yards after the catch due to the errant throws. Everyone agrees the D must improve, and Sark must improve, but most of the inefficient offensive play was directly related to Malik's performance.

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I'd be surprised if he was not better than what we saw last Saturday.

That was not good QBing Saturday but like I said, we are assuming Arch is going to look better. Assuming. From what I saw in the spring game, Arch has a long way to go before he is ready. He was taking off from the pocket almost every down. Late on throws. Missed on a lot of guys. Throwing risky passes and getting his receivers lit up. We need to quit assuming until we see him trot out there and deliver.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I get it, I was the one chastising people who said Maalik would be a running QB when Quinn went down.

My point is that even Byron Leftwich and Big Ben ran the ball when it was open.

Even mid 30s Ben was much more athletic than MM is now

*He should still be jogging for positive yards instead of throwing prayers into triple coverage* 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

So the blocked punt and the Brooks fumble are on Maalik too?

As for dropped INTs, so?  They were dropped, get over it.  We dropped at least 1 INT too.  

And perhaps our defensive backfield can learn to cover and not give up nearly 327 passing to Howard...his career high.  

I see reading comprehension isn't your strength.

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

So you think we never hand the ball off on RPO plays? It is literally a run/pass option. Whatever the defense does, the QB does the opposite. We ran the ball fairly well Saturday, but MM was not good. Not just the dropped interceptions, it was the throws high and behind the receivers. Worthy was visibly frustrated, because he was unable to generate yards after the catch due to the errant throws. Everyone agrees the D must improve, and Sark must improve, but most of the inefficient offensive play was directly related to Malik's performance.

We put up 30 points in regulation.  IMHO, as poorly as MM played, 30 points should be enough to beat KSU. 

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the defensive backfield than I am MM.  

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That was not good QBing Saturday but like I said, we are assuming Arch is going to look better. Assuming. From what I saw in the spring game, Arch has a long way to go before he is ready. He was taking off from the pocket almost every down. Late on throws. Missed on a lot of guys. Throwing risky passes and getting his receivers lit up. We need to quit assuming until we see him trot out there and deliver.

Sark alluded to this in the call today.  Be basically rebuked all the posters on here yesterday that said Arch ran Sarks offense in HS.

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

We put up 30 points in regulation.  IMHO, as poorly as MM played, 30 points should be enough to beat KSU. 

24 of the 30 points were on short fields from special teams miscues or offensive turnovers. 

K-State couldn't score on us unless they were given favorable field position due to the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Longhornlove said:

Everyone, please stop defending shitty QB play, it is nauseating.

Hahaha...come on my guy. The QB play was most def shitty. Its just every year we just assume the backup, or in the case the backup's backup, is better when there is not a drop of evidence to support that thought. I am going with this staff has shown themselves to be good at evaluations.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Considering the defense essentially scored 7 pts (gave the offense the ball on the 5). 

KSU scored 23 pts off of short fields. Defense defended 17 possessions and gave up 30 pts. Held KSU to their lowest offensive yard total on the year and lowest yards per play on the year. I have worries about the secondary, but 30 is not enough pts when the offense is giving the opposition short fields. 30 isnt a great number when the offense had 4 short fields to work with. 

Edited by Codaxx

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well of course you are considering you don't care about the QB hitting defenders in their hands as long as the DB drops it. Your analysis is a bit questionable. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Hahaha...come on my guy. The QB play was most def shitty. Its just every year we just assume the backup, or in the case the backup's backup, is better when there is not a drop of evidence to support that thought. I am going with this staff has shown themselves to be good at evaluations.

I trust the coaches, I don't trust MM. Sark isn't telling him to throw the ball to the defense. MM throws 2 more picks due to pure dumb decisions in the first half next week, he needs to view the game from the sideline.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

24 of the 30 points were on short fields from special teams miscues or offensive turnovers. 

K-State couldn't score on us unless they were given favorable field position due to the offense. 

I hear ya, but they did have a 75 yard drive in 8 plays in the 3rd quarter and went 42 yards in 4 plays, in only 41 seconds right before the half.  Those are squarely on the D

And as I mentioned earlier, two of those short fields had nothing to do with MM. 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well of course you are considering you don't care about the QB hitting defenders in their hands as long as the DB drops it. Your analysis is a bit questionable. 

What is that on the stat sheet?  An incompletion?  How many picks would Quinn have if not for dropped INTs?  They don't count because they didn't happen.

Ok, off to the gym.  Catch up later.

51 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Milroe's running is only a necessity because of their shitty O-line. He threw for 219 vs LSU and no turnovers. In fact, he has been in the mid 2-300 range for awhile with less turnovers. That is all we need from MM to win. 225 and no turnovers. Running game will do the rest. We threw 2 picks, fumbled a ball, got a punt blocked, and dropped a ball on 4th down and we still won. MM just simply quits pressing and we win easily.

Milroe's running is a necessity because he's a liability throwing the ball into a secondary that is inviting him to throw. His running ability changes everything about the Bama offense & what a defense has the ability to do. His passing numbers are still pretty meh, if not downright bad. He's being asked to throw the ball 22-25 times a game, complete 60% of them, & not throw any INTs. He's surpassed 250 yards twice (us & a&m) & even counting MTSU has a 13/5 TD/INT ratio for the year. If it wasn't for the fact that he's a thoroughbred while running & can hit the occasional deep ball he'd have changed positions by now.

MM can't do that. He won't even take the 5-6 yards staring him in the face when everyone is covered. When there's no threat of a QB run the defense has a lot more flexibility in blitzing & coverage & the QB has to be a lot quicker in his reads, make the correct read more often, & be very accurate when he pulls the trigger. MM struggles with ALL of that & that fact won't change anytime soon so unless he starts picking up some first downs with his legs when the defense gives it to him he's going to have a hard time being successful. As for Milroe, when Bama plays a decent defense again (UGA?) I expect Milroe's performance to mirror what he did against us which was good enough to get him benched the next game.

15 minutes ago, hook me said:

Milroe's running is a necessity because he's a liability throwing the ball into a secondary that is inviting him to throw. His running ability changes everything about the Bama offense & what a defense has the ability to do. His passing numbers are still pretty meh, if not downright bad. He's being asked to throw the ball 22-25 times a game, complete 60% of them, & not throw any INTs. He's surpassed 250 yards twice (us & a&m) & even counting MTSU has a 13/5 TD/INT ratio for the year. If it wasn't for the fact that he's a thoroughbred while running & can hit the occasional deep ball he'd have changed positions by now.

MM can't do that. He won't even take the 5-6 yards staring him in the face when everyone is covered. When there's no threat of a QB run the defense has a lot more flexibility in blitzing & coverage & the QB has to be a lot quicker in his reads, make the correct read more often, & be very accurate when he pulls the trigger. MM struggles with ALL of that & that fact won't change anytime soon so unless he starts picking up some first downs with his legs when the defense gives it to him he's going to have a hard time being successful. As for Milroe, when Bama plays a decent defense again (UGA?) I expect Milroe's performance to mirror what he did against us which was good enough to get him benched the next game.

He doesn't need to. As we are constructed he just needs to hit on enough throws to keep the defense honest and let us run the football. Also, I am not sure how much Milroe you've been watching lately but he is much improved overall as a passer.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, hook me said:

Milroe is 8th in the country in pass efficiency rating.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm confused about something. Ewers has a higher completion percentage, more yards, and fewer INTs. Same amount of passing TDs. 

image.thumb.png.a7e71ab58aba86728ad4345772fa025b.png

Milroe is at 10.4 ypa while Ewers is at 9.0. Same number of TD's on fewer throws. Given Ewers has a better completion percentage (70.9% vs 64.8%) and fewer INTs on more attempts, it tells me the NCAA passer rating weights YPA and/or TD passes heavily.

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers