Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

He played pretty well versus Tech and against Bama.

Ewers is getting sacked at a higher rate this year than Card last year. Ewers is getting sacked at a higher clip per pressure. On average, Card threw it deeper but Ewers doesn’t hold it as long. Few, if any, get rid of it quicker than Ewers though and Card last year did not hold the ball long relative to others.

Card is not having a good year, but he gets sacked less often per drop back and about half the rate of Ewers when pressured.

Ewers is better this year due to being patient and more conservative. At every depth of throw Ewers comp percentage is very close to Cards last year. A big difference is that Ewers throw the intermediate throw far more often.

We’re doing play action way more this year with deep throws down 40% or so.

Card is terrible.  Notwithstanding how he played against 5-7 WVU, UTSA, his mediocre performance against Tech in a loss, and his bad performance against Alabama.

If he can still play WR, he should consider doing so.

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

But against who? My daughter's backup hitter in volleyball has almost as good a hitting percentage as she does. However, she only plays when we play cupcakes, so she gets to pad her stats against them. My daughter earned hers against playoff bound teams.

You can make that same argument in reverse, though. Ewers’ worst game was against OSU, where he completed fewer than 40% of his passes and threw 3 picks. They finished the year ranked as the #115 in defense in college football-worse than any team Card started against.

The point isn’t that he was a better player or that anyone would want him over Ewers today, but if he could have stepped in as relief and played better in a couple of specific games. Almost certainly so. But I think Sark made the decision to punt on the short term win for Ewers (and the team) to develop into what they are this season. 

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

The situations are different. Last year in the Oklahoma State game we had two losses so the playoff was out of the picture. The conference title was still up for grabs at that that point, and both the team and Quinn could have benefited from pulling him out of a game he was practically throwing away by himself. You pull him out to settle him down and see if a fresh quarterback can guide the ship to a win, and then during the next week you build Quinn back up and start him again. No one was saying to bench him for the season. Once the TCU game came around, Sark had already made his bed and allowed Quinn to blow the Oklahoma State game so there was nothing to play for at that point. I disagree that letting him shit his pants in front of everyone for those two games had any benefit on him developing this year. The same level of shame and embarrassment in his lack of preparation would have happened from getting benched as well. 

Now this season is completely different. It isn't the full-time starter we are talking about, it's two backups, and whomever loses the competition for next year's starter is transferring anyway. It would have been best for next year to get a look at both under this high stress, live fire situation to see who handles it better heading into next year's competition. It would have also been best for this year to exhaust all the options and figure out which guy gives you the best chance to win now since both the playoff and the conference title are still on the line. 

Now there could be circumstances we don't know about such as the Mannings telling Sark they don't want Arch playing under any circumstance this year, but that just isn't really believable. It's far more believable that Sark is staying true to his tendencies of being a quarterback coach first and head coach second. Since Maalik stuck it out with him, he's going to give him every opportunity to torpedo the ship and throw away a conference title and playoff out of loyalty to his guy. It's just one of Sark's faults. 

Chances are we get TCU's best shot on Saturday in Ft Worth. We better hope Quinn is ready for it. If not hang on to your butts, fellas. 

I bolded part of your post. I honestly don't know what to tell you if you don't understand how having a quick hook on your quarterback can hurt their development. You have two seconds from the snap to drop back, survey the field, and make not only a solid decision, but with good technique and accuracy. There is no room for waning confidence. You saw that this weekend. Murph was nails early on but a couple things went wrong and next thing you know he is holding the ball too long and throwing the ball late. You pull him at that point and he is questioning whether he has the ability to play at this level. Then what if Arch is awful and you have to go back to Murphy? You've lost him at that point.

Right now Murphy is pressing, thinking he has to make every play. Why is he doing that? Because he knows who is behind him and feels like he has to play remarkable in order to stay ahead of him. How do you fix that issue? You show him that its ok to take whats there, and its ok to not make every play. You stick with him, coach him up, and get him to settle down. If you bench him you further validate what he is already thinking.

Listen, Murphy is a couple tackled WRs away from having over 300 yrds and two more TDs. Possibly 3 if Cook doesn't let himself get muscled. You get the kid to simply understand to throw the ball away or take a sack when there is nothing there and he is a solid QB. We don't run for 200+ if he is not tearing Kstate a new asshole anytime they showed man coverage.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

You can make that same argument in reverse, though. Ewers’ worst game was against OSU, where he completed fewer than 40% of his passes and threw 3 picks. They finished the year ranked as the #115 in defense in college football-worse than any team Card started against.

The point isn’t that he was a better player or that anyone would want him over Ewers today, but if he could have stepped in as relief and played better in a couple of specific games. Almost certainly so. But I think Sark made the decision to punt on the short term win for Ewers (and the team) to develop into what they are this season. 

Card played against UTSA, Tech, and WVU. Defensive rankings can say whatever you want them to say depending on time of year, who you played against, or anything really. For example, if you come out on offense and jump all over teams all year guess what? Your passing D is going to look awful on paper because everyone has to abandon the run and start throwing to catch up. Doesn't mean your pass defense is actually bad. Bottom line, Quinn played against the who's who last year and Card played against the  also-rans. The only game we saw both of them in is Bama. We know how that looked.

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I bolded part of your post. I honestly don't know what to tell you if you don't understand how having a quick hook on your quarterback can hurt their development. You have two seconds from the snap to drop back, survey the field, and make not only a solid decision, but with good technique and accuracy. There is no room for waning confidence. You saw that this weekend. Murph was nails early on but a couple things went wrong and next thing you know he is holding the ball too long and throwing the ball late. You pull him at that point and he is questioning whether he has the ability to play at this level. Then what if Arch is awful and you have to go back to Murphy? You've lost him at that point.

Right now Murphy is pressing, thinking he has to make every play. Why is he doing that? Because he knows who is behind him and feels like he has to play remarkable in order to stay ahead of him. How do you fix that issue? You show him that its ok to take whats there, and its ok to not make every play. You stick with him, coach him up, and get him to settle down. If you bench him you further validate what he is already thinking.

Listen, Murphy is a couple tackled WRs away from having over 300 yrds and two more TDs. Possibly 3 if Cook doesn't let himself get muscled. You get the kid to simply understand to throw the ball away or take a sack when there is nothing there and he is a solid QB. We don't run for 200+ if he is not tearing Kstate a new asshole anytime they showed man coverage.

This is some serous over thinking. Maalik was bad. "He could have 300 yards and 2 more TDs", if every single break went his way and Mitchell became Earl Campbell after the catch. .This completely misses reality, he has been amazingly lucky. He threw 2 balls off the face of KSU defenders. He has over 300 yards if he doesnt flat out miss 6-8 open WRs. I dont know if this just who Murphy is or there is a much better version down the line, but he was just bad vs KSU.. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Compared to almost 80%, 6 TDs and 1 INT last year at Texas.  At least statistically, that's a step back, but you can also argue that the different in surrounding talent and coaching between Texas and Purdue has a lot to do with that.

Playing against 3 top 5 defenses has something to do with it too. But his decision making still sucks. He would be better than Murphy though, just in the fact he can run.

Just now, Thatguy said:

Card played against UTSA, Tech, and WVU. Defensive rankings can say whatever you want them to say depending on time of year, who you played against, or anything really. For example, if you come out on offense and jump all over teams all year guess what? Your passing D is going to look awful on paper because everyone has to abandon the run and start throwing to catch up. Doesn't mean your pass defense is actually bad. Bottom line, Quinn played against the who's who last year and Card played against the  also-rans. The only game we saw both of them in is Bama. We know how that looked.

He looked better against Bama than Ewers looked against OSU (an also-ran, not a who’s ago-a 7-6 team that finished below Texas Tech). That was probably the worst performance I’ve ever seen by a Texas QB. It made me long for Tyrone Swoopes.

I don’t think you can look at that performance vs Card over the rest of the year against comparable opponents and argue with a straight face he wouldn’t have done better. 

But we’re getting far away from the point. I’m essentially agreeing with your argument just above that pulling the QB can hinder their development. I think that’s the same decision making process Sark went through then.

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

That same loaded TCU offense that scored 3 points against KState and had 187 passing yards?  Or was it the one that had 142 yards passing at home against West Virginia and lost?  

Chandler Morris didn't play the K-State game. Morris had 298 yards passing in the West Virginia loss.

MM is not holding up his end of the board. Does not run and does not play defense when there is an offensive turnover. Make all the speculative excuses you want but the objective facts are what they are. The college game today requires a dual threat QB and we don't have one playing now.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Don't forget a couple of obvious pass interference calls that DIDN'T get called.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Scuba Saba said:

MM is not holding up his end of the board. Does not run and does not play defense when there is an offensive turnover. Make all the speculative excuses you want but the objective facts are what they are. The college game today requires a dual threat QB and we don't have one playing now.    

Sadly, tend to agree.  But he’ll be our guy Saturday.   In post game this past Sat, the efficacy of prayer ranked highl.

13 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

He looked better against Bama than Ewers looked against OSU (an also-ran, not a who’s ago-a 7-6 team that finished below Texas Tech). That was probably the worst performance I’ve ever seen by a Texas QB. It made me long for Tyrone Swoopes.

I don’t think you can look at that performance vs Card over the rest of the year against comparable opponents and argue with a straight face he wouldn’t have done better. 

But we’re getting far away from the point. I’m essentially agreeing with your argument just above that pulling the QB can hinder their development. I think that’s the same decision making process Sark went through then.

Ewers looked a lot better vs Bama than Card did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Card is terrible.  Notwithstanding how he played against 5-7 WVU, UTSA, his mediocre performance against Tech in a loss, and his bad performance against Alabama.
If he can still play WR, he should consider doing so.

I made no declaration about what kind of player Card is. What I did was provide 3rd party data to perhaps give you a little perspective. It actually countered your initial point quite well then you resort to a different tactic.

You’re fresh off using some data to support the defenses effort this past weekend. I agree with that.

Basically what you’re saying is that Ewers only performances that count are this years OU and Bama. He’s 1-1.

No one has argued that he didn’t.

For 1 quarter. Scripted. Remember how we kicked KStates ass in Q1? What about Houston? OU in 2021?

Do we need more examples of how 1 Q doesn’t mean shit about how a full game will go.

With Ewers you can point to OU for the opposite. Sucked in Q1 then rebounded.

But, yes, you’re correct. I do not recall anyone arguing otherwise.

36 minutes ago, Scuba Saba said:

We don't need a "dual threat" QB.  But we need a QB that is at least a "threat" to run an pick up easy yards.  QE is certainly not dual threat but he's proven to be an effective (if not reckless at times) runner.  We become much easier to defend if the defense doesn't have to account for the QB running in any situation which has certainly been the case for MM so far.  It's a big part of the reason I'm advocating getting Arch a series or 2 in the first half this week if QE can't go.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Codaxx said:

So why would you compare Card vs Bama and Ewers vs OSu? 

Sigh…if you read through the entire exchange, you’ll note he argued that Card only played against poor competition while Ewers played against the best, the one exception being they both played against Alabama, where Ewers clearly outplayed him. You didn’t need to point that out; that was HIS point and assumed in my reply.

My only point in bringing that up was that, even in his worst performance, Card still looked better than Ewers did at his worst, and it was against a superior opponent. 

3 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

That same loaded TCU offense that scored 3 points against KState and had 187 passing yards?  Or was it the one that had 142 yards passing at home against West Virginia and lost?  

You think a Dykes coached team isn't going to show up at home to beat Texas, who he absolutely hates, on the way out the door? And we're going in with a QB throwing 4 to 5 passes a game into the defenders hands? 

We aren't getting KSU or WVU level effort. We're getting everything they have to throw. This is a holy war to them and they know it's the last chance they'll get at us for years, possibly decades. You feel confident on the road against a fanatically motivated opponent with Turnover Murphy at QB?

Houston is a worse team with lesser talent but similar hatred for us and they handed us our ass for almost 3 quarters. We needed a bad ref spot to escape that. 

Against KSU we needed possibly the worse coached game of Klieman's HC career and a tremendous defensive stop to luck out that win in the end. 

Edited by Hermanator

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You think a Dykes coached team isn't going to show up at home to beat Texas, who he absolutely hates, on the way out the door? And we're going in with a QB throwing 4 to 5 passes a game into the defenders hands? 

We aren't getting KSU or WVU level effort. We're getting everything they have to throw. This is a holy war to them and they know it's the last chance they'll get at us for years, possibly decades. You feel confident on the road against a fanatically motivated opponent with Turnover Murphy at QB?

Sure don't, but we have no clue what's behind him. None. For all we know Arch could come out over and underthrowing deep balls like Ewers used to. Then TCU walks their safeties up and takes away our run game with no way to hurt them. Next thing you know we can't put long drives together due to negative plays and procedure penalties, and all the explosiveness is gone from the O. It's not a foregone conclusion that Arch will walk out there accurately pitching it all over the lot.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Sure don't, but we have no clue what's behind him. None. For all we know Arch could come out over and underthrowing deep balls like Ewers used to. Then TCU walks their safeties up and takes away our run game with no way to hurt them. Next thing you know we can't put long drives together due to negative plays and procedure penalties, and all the explosiveness is gone from the O. It's not a foregone conclusion that Arch will walk out there accurately pitching it all over the lot.

brooks if he's healthy, baxter if he's healthy, blue and red....300 yards rushing. Take some shots to keep them in that 3 high safety look and pound the fucking rock. I think Maalik is in way over his head but he's better than casey thompson. Sark made casey thumbson look really fucking good several times so Maalik is going to be fine. If we have to count on Arch to step in and manage a game then I think we are fucked. That's a huge stage to be tossed out on, and then asked to keep the ship right at 8-1 staring down a big 12 title game and possible CFP berth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

This is some serous over thinking. Maalik was bad. "He could have 300 yards and 2 more TDs", if every single break went his way and Mitchell became Earl Campbell after the catch. .This completely misses reality, he has been amazingly lucky. He threw 2 balls off the face of KSU defenders. He has over 300 yards if he doesnt flat out miss 6-8 open WRs. I dont know if this just who Murphy is or there is a much better version down the line, but he was just bad vs KSU.. 

I agree that he was bad. However, what I posted above this is valid. No idea what Arch will do. We know Murphy, like Milroe, throws a great deep ball. Just is processing slow on the other stuff. Week two everyone was making fun of Bama with Milroe. Now he looks like a guy that could get you into the playoff. He just needed experience, and the game to slow down. I am not sure if that will happen for MM but I have no clue what Arch will do. There is a scenario where you put Arch in but it needs to be another KSU game. Bama almost got beat by USF playing around with their QBs just to find out why those guys were behind him.

45 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Clearly something going on with MM, whether it be physical or mental. 

Bagging on the kid at this point does very little. 

This. I don't know what folks were expecting. MM looked amazing until midway through the second quarter, made some spectacularly poor decisions and melted down. That's what you'd expect from a redshirt freshman with 1 career start. Look at KSU's freshman QB. He threw one pass that probably should have been intercepted and didn't play again. Arch would have had his share of WTF plays had he started. There's a reason coaches avoid playing freshman QBs if at all possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Thatguy said:

I agree that he was bad. However, what I posted above this is valid. No idea what Arch will do. We know Murphy, like Milroe, throws a great deep ball. Just is processing slow on the other stuff. Week two everyone was making fun of Bama with Milroe. Now he looks like a guy that could get you into the playoff. He just needed experience, and the game to slow down. I am not sure if that will happen for MM but I have no clue what Arch will do. There is a scenario where you put Arch in but it needs to be another KSU game. Bama almost got beat by USF playing around with their QBs just to find out why those guys were behind him.

There is a difference. Milroe is elite with his legs. Maalik throws a solid deep ball, but it is not elite. Not sure at about everyone, but I was making fun of Bama for he way Tommy Rees used Milroe. Milroe in the pocket is not a great QB. Unleashing him in the run game and a lot of things open up. That is what happens when you have a QB with an elite trait. Bama almost losing does not have a bearing on this situation. The issue is Maalik is continually putting the ball at risk. That is huge problem coupled with inaccuracy and immobility. No idea if Maalik makes  big jump, but Sark needs to be prepared to have a quick hook. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm really torn on this one.

Thompson had a 154 pass rating, averaged 8.1 per attempt, had 24 passing TDs against 9 turnovers, and 4 rushing TDs under Sark.  He was light years better than what we have seen so far from Maalik.  That was his third year in program but first under Sark.

He also played very well in limited action as a true sophomore.

Look, Thompson was not conference title winning good.  But he was competent here as a starter and was competent at NU.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

People I'd like to be quarterbacking our team this weekend: 1) Quinn Ewers 2) Hudson Card 3) Casey Thompson 4) Maalik Murphy.

You might want to check on Hudson's stats this year before making that bold assertion. Not a lot of daylight between the 2 and Card has been started way more games than Maalik.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

People I'd like to be quarterbacking our team this weekend: 1) Quinn Ewers 2) Hudson Card 3) Casey Thompson 4) Maalik Murphy.

I think that's the right order. 

We really need to get a backup QB in next year in case Arch gets hurt, presuming Quinn goes pro and MM transfers.  I'd take Card back in a heartbeat if he wanted to go ahead and do that, or obviously a guy like him.  

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

You might want to check on Hudson's stats this year before making that bold assertion. Not a lot of daylight between the 2 and Card has been started way more games than Maalik.

MM is driving a lambo and Hudson Card is driving a Pinto.  

if scripting the first two series worked so well for Maalik, why didn't Sark just script the whole game?!  Sometimes I don't think he really is a football genius...
If the opposing defense makes no adjustments then scripting the entire game (if that's even possible with variables) would indeed be genius. Why has no coach ever thought of this before? I mean I've mentally scripted entire games in NCAA 14 and had some pretty shitty teams with dominant decade long dynasties.
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

6 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

big GIF

People I'd like to be quarterbacking out team this weekend:) 1) Vincent Paul Young Jr 2) Colt McCoy 3) Quinn Ewers 4) Your mom

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

There is a difference. Milroe is elite with his legs. Maalik throws a solid deep ball, but it is not elite. Not sure at about everyone, but I was making fun of Bama for he way Tommy Rees used Milroe. Milroe in the pocket is not a great QB. Unleashing him in the run game and a lot of things open up. That is what happens when you have a QB with an elite trait. Bama almost losing does not have a bearing on this situation. The issue is Maalik is continually putting the ball at risk. That is huge problem coupled with inaccuracy and immobility. No idea if Maalik makes  big jump, but Sark needs to be prepared to have a quick hook. 

Milroe's running is only a necessity because of their shitty O-line. He threw for 219 vs LSU and no turnovers. In fact, he has been in the mid 2-300 range for awhile with less turnovers. That is all we need from MM to win. 225 and no turnovers. Running game will do the rest. We threw 2 picks, fumbled a ball, got a punt blocked, and dropped a ball on 4th down and we still won. MM just simply quits pressing and we win easily.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Milroe's running is only a necessity because of their shitty O-line. He threw for 219 vs LSU and no turnovers. In fact, he has been in the mid 2-300 range for awhile with less turnovers. That is all we need from MM to win. 225 and no turnovers. Running game will do the rest. We threw 2 picks, fumbled a ball, got a punt blocked, and dropped a ball on 4th down and we still won. MM just simply quits pressing and we win easily.

Correct, but the only thing Maalik has proven is that he can not be relied on to take care of the football. That is far and away Maalik's biggest issue

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I think if Maalik starts this week Sark will ask him to run the ball a few times on the RPO/Option plays.  Without the threat of a QB run, those plays are worthless.  In fact we saw that toward the end of the game when the KSU linebackers pretty much ignored MM as a running option and just played the back out wide.  

Edited by DixonHur

The big issue with the turnovers against K-State is they have one of the best red zone offenses in the country. You give them a short field and it almost always turns into points and most likely 7 points. 

It really is a miracle we won that game against K-State because we did everything needed to play into their strength. I'm not saying we can win again turning the ball over like we did against K-State but they are particularly good at punishing teams that do.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Correct, but the only thing Maalik has proven is that he can not be relied on to take care of the football. That is far and away Maalik's biggest issue

Most def his issue. Its been two games. I will take the KSU game without the dumb throw to an O-lineman and be fine with it. The Cook one is on Cook. Quit flopping for calls, stay on your feet, and run your damn route. Hope he learned a lesson.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers