2022 Season Team News and Notes(Between Games Thread)

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

So savion red. The dude who doesn’t play was the only one that gave a fuck Saturday. Damn 

Bobby said on the post-game show that Red did not run his route on a 3rd down RPO, causing Ewers to throw the ball away. Marion got up into his face and he did not like that. I am not sure that is giving a shit. It does fit nicely with Hookah's post though

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.680b76ef66ad18f523c7aaa412308c4b.png

Well this doesn't sound good....

What the hell? Does nobody here know how to play this game?

Seems like we hear this kind of thing from every coaching staff. Does this guy actually know anything? Or is he just basing this on what we are seeing on the field?

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Seems like we hear this kind of thing from every coaching staff. Does this guy actually know anything? Or is he just basing this on what we are seeing on the field?

Probably what happens when you make shit HC hires?

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Probably what happens when you make shit HC hires?

I find it highly unlikely they are that shitty. How would you even move on from coaching high school if you cannot get guys to run routes or cover anybody? We are not just grabbing randos off the streets, right? These guys have coached football before at above a middle school level I presume. 

The Head coach is the CEO. Basic shit like running routes of knowing where to be should be position coaches sort of thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I find it highly unlikely they are that shitty. How would you even move on from coaching high school if you cannot get guys to run routes or cover anybody? We are not just grabbing randos off the streets, right? These guys have coached football before at above a middle school level I presume. 

The Head coach is the CEO. Basic shit like running routes of knowing where to be should be position coaches sort of thing. 

Sark has to get more throws to WRs other than just Xavier, and JWhitt.  

Several in the WR room may be frustrated by their lack of targets.  On Saturday, Quinn was too locked on just Xavier and targeted him too often... 16 times

IMG_20221024_144252_kindlephoto-656094.thumb.jpg.c505455ea1569cbfd81fd8ab8f17c6e5.jpg

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It's bullshit. These guys know how to coach. The team knew what they were doing just fine against Bama, UTSA, OU, and even ISU (even though Ewers threw like shit). To say now they don't know what they're doing is just flat out stupid. 

This is players not stepping up and making the plays to win. Screwing up under pressure. Not able to perform enough to win on the road. 

OSU has a good team, was ranked 11 in the country, and we had the talent to take them out in their stadium. The talent is there it just needs to develop the killer instinct to perform anywhere at any time. Guys like Roschon and Bijan have it. Others, most importantly our QB, need to develop it asap 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

It's bullshit. These guys know how to coach. The team knew what they were doing just fine against Bama, UTSA, OU, and even ISU (even though Ewers threw like shit). To say now they don't know what they're doing is just flat out stupid. 

This is players not stepping up and making the plays to win. Screwing up under pressure. Not able to perform enough to win on the road. 

OSU has a good team, was ranked 11 in the country, and we had the talent to take them out in their stadium. The talent is there it just needs to develop the killer instinct to perform anywhere at any time. Guys like Roschon and Bijan have it. Others, most importantly our QB, need to develop it asap 

Now do this for the other side of the ball.

• Rage+1 1

Any idea why the tickets for the TCU game are so expensive and why there are so little of them available?  Did TCU buy them all up?  I usually can’t sell my seats for over $125 for a normal conference game and they are going for $300+ in my section and hardly any available. Section 16 & 17 have zero tickets available. 

On 10/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, LTtxfan said:

Several in the WR room may be frustrated by their lack of targets.  On Saturday, Quinn was too locked on just Xavier and targeted him too often... 16 times

IMG_20221024_144252_kindlephoto-656094.thumb.jpg.c505455ea1569cbfd81fd8ab8f17c6e5.jpg

I know those stats are wrong just based on sanders percentage 😒

12 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Any idea why the tickets for the TCU game are so expensive and why there are so little of them available?  Did TCU buy them all up?  I usually can’t sell my seats for over $125 for a normal conference game and they are going for $300+ in my section and hardly any available. Section 16 & 17 have zero tickets available. 

TCU is the #7 team in the country and undefeated? They are one of two ranked teams we will probably play in Austin this year. People want to watch UT play good teams vs teams like Iowa St and West Virginia.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, LTtxfan said:

Ummm didn’t Sanders drop a critical pass to end the game?

No room for error here on out. Win out and we’re likely in Arlington. Have to assume OU takes care of OSU, there would only be 2 , two loss teams and we would have hth with KSU. 

I mean, I do kind of think OU wins that game but I wouldn’t just chalk it up at this point.
  • Like 1

Not one of Bobby's best write ups...

At the bye, where are the Texas Longhorns?

Bobby Burton•10/29/22

With the final third of the season remaining, we’re getting ready to find out just who this Longhorn football team really is.

Are they just about the same as last year, or have they turned a corner?

Or, are they somewhere in between?

I don’t know that anyone has the definitive answer. Not yet at least.

I feel like Texas is slightly improved from a year ago. Texas has shown signs of moving forward on both sides of the ball but they’ve also reverted to previous behavior.

And perhaps that’s the problem, that’s what is not allowing the Horns to get over the hump. Too much inconsistency.

Neither the offense nor the defense has been consistently excellent or dominant for an entire game (not counting a quarterback-less Oklahoma).

So what can we expect the rest of the way and what has to happen?

Frankly, I don’t believe the defense has the personnel to be dominant, not against a well-rounded offense. They can play better than they have, especially on third downs, but the idea that this defense can be suffocating against a good quarterback is unlikely.

But I see the Texas offense differently. The offense has the personnel to be dominant.

So as we look into these final four games, I’m really looking for more sustained, consistent dominance from the Texas offense.

What am I talking about exactly?

Think back to Baylor with Art Briles as coach.

Even early in Briles’ tenure there, everbody could see the Bears would eventually be difficult to defend on offense. But their defense lagged severely.

It wasn’t until the Bears’ offense took that next step to utter dominance that the Bears’ defense finally came along as well.

I’m not saying Briles serves as a blueprint for Steve Sarkisian. But that sort of dominating offense puts opponents on tilt, enough so that a slightly undermanned defense can become more opportunistic.

Keep that in mind as we move forward.

I think the Texas offense becoming dominant is the path to sustained, high-level success. That’s what I’ll be looking for the rest of the way, especially as Quinn Ewers gains experience.

Texas Longhorns Football: 3 Up, 3 Down through eight games

Joe Cook•10/27/22

Now that the 2022 Texas Longhorns are through eight games, it’s time to take a look at who has outperformed preseason expectations and who still has some room to improve.

Most of the candidates for the 3 Up were on offense, considering the influx of talent maturing on the roster, plus talent added via the transfer portal and from the high school ranks. However, several defensive players placed themselves in contention for being one of the top three who have seen their stock rise throughout the season.

For 3 Down, individual players or aspects of the team that the Longhorns hoped to be a strength, or at least consistent contributors, were issued ”needs to improve” grades. There’s room for those three to grow, but it’ll have to be done in the remaining four games against some of the conference’s more difficult opponents.

Up: Kelvin Banks

Untitled-design-2022-10-27T110959.348.pn

Even with his On3 Consensus five-star ranking, Banks has outperformed even the loftiest expectations levied upon the true freshman. He’s seamlessly slid into the all-important left tackle role and has played like a seasoned vet, with only a few penalties and a remarkably low number of freshman mistakes. He even passed early tests against Will Anderson and Dallas Turner with flying colors. Banks has received several freshman All-America honors, and could be knocking on actual All-America honors for the next three years.

Up: Christian Jones

Jones may be only behind Banks in terms of the player who has most exceeded expectations. His 2020 season at right tackle showed his capability after some time spent developing, but his 2021 at left tackle was rough. This season, Jones has been a more than capable blocker in both the pass game and the run game back at his preferred right tackle spot. The Longhorn tackles have kept either Quinn Ewers or Hudson Card clean from the effects of opposing EDGEs for the most part. Jones’ marked improvement should be near the top of Kyle Flood’s resume.

Up: Jaylan Ford

Stats: 72 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 INT, 2 forced fumbles

Ford finished the 2021 regular season strong after taking over for Luke Brockermeyer. Following a statistical no-show in the season opener, Ford has been one of the most consistent players on the Longhorn defense and has continued his ascendant trajectory that started last year. Linebacker is tough in modern football, and it’s even tougher in the Big 12. But time after time, Ford is in the right spot and makes the play he needs to. It only makes sense for him to be the defense’s representative as one of the 3 Up.

Honorable mention: Keondre Coburn, Bijan Robinson, Ja’Tavion Sanders

------------------------------------------

Down: Casey Cain

Stats: 4 catches, 93 yards

Cain’s time on the field has been limited by Texas’ penchant for 12 personnel, but because of missed opportunity. As the player stepping in at X after Marcus Washington‘s transfer, there was a hope for Texas that Cain could match Washington’s tenaciousness in blocking with better hands. That hasn’t been the case. The Iowa State game sticks out as a bad one, but Cain has also been stymied statistically by opposing pass interference penalties and quarterback overthrows. As someone who is a key player on Texas’ 11 personnel looks, the Longhorns need more from Cain this season and going forward in his career.

Down: Ovie Oghoufo

Stats: 36 tackles, 5.0 TFL, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble

Texas has gotten increased production from the EDGE positions this year, but Oghoufo still has left several plays on the field even as an experienced senior. He plays a key role in Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense, one that rarely leaves the field. But for the senior, he finds himself out of position more often than he should. It’s worth noting he has impacted the game more often this year compared to last year, but Texas could certainly receive more from the Notre Dame transfer.

Down: Punt return

Stats: 16 returns, 142 yards

Special teams has been a positive for the most part this year, between strong kickoff coverage, multiple punts blocked, and decent showings from Bert Auburn and Daniel Trejo. However, one are that has been lacking is the return game. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks elected to place Xavier Worthy at the return spot, but the Longhorns have been unable to reap many benefits from having one of the team’s most electric receivers fielding punts.

Interesting topic.

I would add Bijan, RoJo, JT, Whittington and better DT play on positives.  Both coverage teams have been doing a good job, and our punt block group has been great.

Underperform adds:  

• DE's
  • LB's except for Ford
  • Xavier Worthy
  • D'Shawn Jamison
  • Hayden Conner
  • QBs 

Is Ovie really underperforming relative to expectations? He is marginally better than he was last season. Certainly better against the run.

Did anyone really expect anything better? If you told everyone preseason he still wouldn't add a pass rush but getting consistently gashed by runs off the edge would be eliminated, would anyone have been really disappointed?

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Is Ovie really underperforming relative to expectations? He is marginally better than he was last season. Certainly better against the run.

Did anyone really expect anything better? If you told everyone preseason he still wouldn't add a pass rush but getting consistently gashed by runs off the edge would be eliminated, would anyone have been really disappointed?

Is he even marginally better?  I don't think anyone expected he would somehow content for all conference or anything but I think most hoped he would improve.  If he has I haven't noticed it.  That blown assignment last week on the 3rd and 9 was unacceptable for someone that has played as much football as he has.

• Rage+1 1

Only Texas needs a roster of 4+ stars 2 deep in order to field a strong defense.  Iowa St, Kansas St., Oklahoma St., TCU, Baylor all take what they have and develop/teach them into being very good.  It is a consistent cop out that those writing about Texas use.  The fact is every QB Texas plays has their best game of the year.

The one thing about the defense that has been a positive is that the running defense has been much better in 2022.  The special teams have been much better this year.

Honestly I am not sure the QB performance has been all that much better than last year.  I think we all agree the Ewers/Card are better prospects than Thompson.  But the last 2 games have been rough for Ewers.  He has to get back to his earlier form before this is a clear positive for the year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Monahorns said:

Only Texas needs a roster of 4+ stars 2 deep in order to field a strong defense.  Iowa St, Kansas St., Oklahoma St., TCU, Baylor all take what they have and develop/teach them into being very good.  It is a consistent cop out that those writing about Texas use.  The fact is every QB Texas plays has their best game of the year.

The one thing about the defense that has been a positive is that the running defense has been much better in 2022.  The special teams have been much better this year.

Honestly I am not sure the QB performance has been all that much better than last year.  I think we all agree the Ewers/Card are better prospects than Thompson.  But the last 2 games have been rough for Ewers.  He has to get back to his earlier form before this is a clear positive for the year.

Surprised at how many people think Ewers had a bad game vs ISU. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Surprised at how many people think Ewers had a bad game vs ISU. 

You didn't?  On the plus side no turnovers, but the YPA and total yards were bad.  The completion % was okay, but that is about it.

Texas Att Comp Comp % Yards Yards/pass TD Int Sacks/Yards QB Rating
Quinn Ewers 26 17 65 % 172 6.6 3 0    

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Can somebody post the Team Humidor that was put out on Saturday morning?: https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/team-humidor-much-needed-bye-week-rest-and-recovery/

@Hookem2147 @LTtxfan

Based on the replies to the thread, it sounds like Mo Blackwell has finally been moved back to LB.

It wasn’t much. Yeah, Blackwell is officially a LB. Cook is going to try to give it a go in practice this week with the hopes of playing Saturday with a cast. Watts should be good to go this week but Guilbeau will likely be out a while (knee, I think). It was a light week for a lot of the starters. JD Coffey and BJ Allen saw increased reps at safety with Coffey probably being the most likely to see game action. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here are the QB stats comparing 2021 to 2022

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG LNG TD INT SACK SYL RTG
Quinn Ewers QB 82 142 1,139 57.7 8 46 11 5 2 -10 143.6
Hudson Card QB 74 107 923 69.2 8.6 45 6 1 8 -62 158.3

156 249 2,062 0.626506024 8.281124498   17 6   257.75 ypg
              25.5 9 adj to 12 games    

Total                    
Casey Thompson QB 165 261 2,113 63.2 8.1 75 24 9 16 -102 154.7
Hudson Card QB 51 83 590 61.4 7.1 52 5 1 10 -58 138.6

216 344 2,703 0.62790697 7.85755814   29 10   225.25 ypg

Looking at the data, this year the yards per attempt is up overall.  The improvement comes completely from Card's improvement.  Ewers and Thompson were equal in that stat.  Following this the yards per game is up about 30 yds from last year.  That's better but not "all that much better" as I said.  Completion % is the same.  The TDs are below pace from last year and the interceptions basically the same.  I think the data bears out what I was saying.

7 hours ago, Monahorns said:

25.5 9 adj to 12 games    

Total                    

Looking at the data, this year the yards per attempt is up overall.  The improvement comes completely from Card's improvement.  Ewers and Thompson were equal in that stat.  Following this the yards per game is up about 30 yds from last year.  That's better but not "all that much better" as I said.  Completion % is the same.  The TDs are below pace from last year and the interceptions basically the same.  I think the data bears out what I was saying.

If a true freshman is even with a 5th year senior, they're not even at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

In addition to what’s already been said, it’s also Veterans Day Weekend which is a big travel weekend for Vets and their families. Always a highly attended game when it coincides with a home game.

10 hours ago, Monahorns said:

You didn't?  On the plus side no turnovers, but the YPA and total yards were bad.  The completion % was okay, but that is about it.

Texas Att Comp Comp % Yards Yards/pass TD Int Sacks/Yards QB Rating
Quinn Ewers 26 17 65 % 172 6.6 3 0    

No.. Huge drop in there. ISU is the best defense in the league. They played 8 games and only 3 passers have been over 60% completions. Only 3 passers have thrown for more than 6 yards an attempt. Throwing for 65%, 3 TDs, and no ints  is a solid game vs that defense. That game vs WV would be a disappointment, but who you you play certainly changes expectations. 

8 hours ago, Monahorns said:

25.5 9 adj to 12 games    

Total                    

Quinn has a a 76.0 QBR this year, even after OSU. Casey had a 62 QBR last year. I would say that is a fair bit better. 

• Like 2

Not so fast. Non-con they played a MAC, an Ohio Valley and Iowa. Iowa is not a real offense. But none of those met your criteria.

In 5 conference games, ISU has no picks. It was 4 teams that averaged over 6 per attempt. It was only 3 teams above 60%, but OU was at 59%. KU was the other and they only threw 15 passes.

Obviously they’re a good defense. Statistically we’ll see if they hold it together thru the rest of the season as they’re almost only playing for a little pride.

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Not so fast. Non-con they played a MAC, an Ohio Valley and Iowa. Iowa is not a real offense. But none of those met your criteria.

In 5 conference games, ISU has no picks. It was 4 teams that averaged over 6 per attempt. It was only 3 teams above 60%, but OU was at 59%. KU was the other and they only threw 15 passes.

Obviously they’re a good defense. Statistically we’ll see if they hold it together thru the rest of the season as they’re almost only playing for a little pride.

They have given up 30+ pts once this year. You can knit pick all you want, but they are best defense. Gave up 10 pts to KSU. Gave up 27 to OU, but that includes a fake FG for a TD and a 2 yard drive for TD. I wouldn't be surprised if they feel apart late. Not much to play for, but that really isn't pertinent to this conversation. 

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Quinn has a a 76.0 QBR this year, even after OSU. Casey had a 62 QBR last year. I would say that is a fair bit better. 

Why do people keep using QBR? It's a made up ESPN stat where they won't even divulge the components. If you don't tell what's in your stat your stat is meaningless. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Why do people keep using QBR? It's a made up ESPN stat where they won't even divulge the components. If you don't tell what's in your stat your stat is meaningless. 

because it is still better than Passer Rating. You have a better stat, than please share .

55 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

because it is still better than Passer Rating. You have a better stat, than please share .

How would you know it's better when you don't know what's in it? 

That's ridiculous to even suggest. You have no idea what it is, ESPN is just making shit up and telling you to trust them and you do. 

No one should use it as it has zero validity until ESPN explains exactly what it measures and how. 

Edited by Hermanator

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

How would you know it's better when you don't know what's in it? 

That's ridiculous to even suggest. You have no idea what it is, ESPN is just making shit up and telling you to trust them and you do. 

No one should use it as it has zero validity until ESPN explains exactly what it measures and how. 

I know the basics. I dont know every detail, since is is not published. Like I said, if you have a better stat feel free to share it. I am happy to look at anything, unless your only goal is to argue and you actually have nothing to add. 

They have given up 30+ pts once this year. You can knit pick all you want, but they are best defense. Gave up 10 pts to KSU. Gave up 27 to OU, but that includes a fake FG for a TD and a 2 yard drive for TD. I wouldn't be surprised if they feel apart late. Not much to play for, but that really isn't pertinent to this conversation. 

I made no declaration as to whether they were the best defense or not.

But there’s absolute value in segregating their noncon efforts from their conference games. That’s some context. Your data just made me curious. So I looked.

My point about statistics is they could falter for the remainder of the season because of circumstances- like being beat emotionally or because you’ve played less explosive teams thus far. That statistical data may be useful now, but it is far from complete. For all I know, they’ll improve. Playing at TCU the last weekend when they may have something on the line is not a recipe for statistical success. That also may skew how good the ISU defense is or was.

One could certainly argue KSU defense is better. Shutout versus OSU. 9 points to ISU. 12 points to SEC. Shutout versus their lesser opponent. Higher rated in DFEI. Maybe it’s a toss up.

They’re good. If we had W. McD, who knows where we’d be.

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I know the basics. I dont know every detail, since is is not published. Like I said, if you have a better stat feel free to share it. I am happy to look at anything, unless your only goal is to argue and you actually have nothing to add. 

Explain the basics. 

As someone who works in a science field it blows my mind people are stupid enough to believe anything without proper scrutiny and proof. Much less something that is kept hidden from you intentionally.

This isn't even something no one can prove like religion. It's something they created, refuse to divulge, and expect people to believe it. 

But go ahead and explain the basics of it. What is in it?

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Explain the basics. 

As someone who works in a science field it blows my mind people are stupid enough to believe anything without proper scrutiny and proof. Much less something that is kept hidden from you intentionally.

This isn't even something no one can prove like religion. It's something they created, refuse to divulge, and expect people to believe it. 

But go ahead and explain the basics of it. What is in it?

that is about what I expected. Most models do not provide the formulas for the general public. Waste of fucking time. I did appreciate the "works in the science field", like that is supposed to impress

Edited by Codaxx

8 hours ago, Viper said:

If a true freshman is even with a 5th year senior, they're not even at all. 

How else do you evaluate output except by the data?  Ewers is ahead on the development curve, but that is not what I was talking about.  Or is your misunderstanding on purpose?