Shit goin' down in the Chess world. Cheating.

Parliament

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ha, just because a legal dispute was settled does not mean he wasn’t cheating. The accuser likely backed off because of legal liability, unless you have some info I haven’t seen. 

He already was caught cheating before. He’s been caught lying about other things, and yet people continue to give a proven cheat and fraudster the benefit of the doubt. It’s why these people exist. They always have easy marks to go after. 

I feel like this a needless doubling down. Just admit you were overwhelmingly likely wrong, and were overly confident and sure in your denigrating of others, and just move on. I mean, nobody is a chess insider (except that guy who just gave us pretty good context for the whole situation) and we all talk out of our rear end from time to time, so there is no shame directed at you.

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I feel like this a needless doubling down. Just admit you were overwhelmingly likely wrong, and were overly confident and sure in your denigrating of others, and just move on. I mean, nobody is a chess insider (except that guy who just gave us pretty good context for the whole situation) and we all talk out of our rear end from time to time, so there is no shame directed at you.

It’s okay for you to admit you are a simpleton who continues to be so easily duped. A word of advice: don’t play the three card game on the streets of New Orleans. You can’t win. 

20 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i beg to differ

This was a big drama show! /GGG

And I messed up and accidentally said Magnus had Black in that game against Hans when he really was playing with White.  Which is what made it worse since when you're #1 in the world you ain't supposed to lose with the white pieces.  

Edited by SpiralOut

On 8/30/2023 at 12:13 PM, animaltobacco11 said:

Hindsight being 20/20, but this is a pretty prescient take. I think the laymen (which is everyone on these 3 pages) have the appeal to authority fallacy going on where we hear that Magnus is a prodigy and genius, which means he's probably right about everything, and thus everyone anchored on this guys bad sportsmanship disguised as chess knowledge we can't understand.

Chess is a game that people tend to equate with general aptitude/intellect.  There are some talents required to be a top chess player that are translatable to a broad range of skills, such as spacial visualization and brute force modus ponens calculation, bit spending a lifetime mastering chess does not make someone an all around renaissance genius nor does it make one free from ordinary human bias.  If anything, it tends to limit one's experiences and viewpoints, and chess masters are often massively biased against anything that challenges their chess supremacy.  

34 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

Chess is a game that people tend to equate with general aptitude/intellect.  There are some talents required to be a top chess player that are translatable to a broad range of skills, such as spacial visualization and brute force modus ponens calculation, bit spending a lifetime mastering chess does not make someone an all around renaissance genius nor does it make one free from ordinary human bias.  If anything, it tends to limit one's experiences and viewpoints, and chess masters are often massively biased against anything that challenges their chess supremacy.  

Are you British or something?

As for me and my house, we will spell it spatial.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:08 PM, Samson's Wig said:

I think what many failed to remember is that Magnus is notorious for having the personality of a rotten twat-sandwich on top of having a great chess mind.

Whats the Surly ruling here....mayonnaise acceptable here or nah?

• 1 month later...

So Magnus is playing in the Qatar Masters and he just lost with the black pieces against a 2512 rated GM.  

For context, to attain the GM title you have to get "GM norms" which is having winning performances at tournaments with an international list of GMs playing at said tournament.  You also have to be over 2500 rating.  

So Magnus just lost to a dude who is barely a GM.  

After the game he tweeted out that the dude didn't cheat and played a great game.  Then he immediately went on to complain that the guy was wearing a watch (not digital or anything, just an expensive looking analog watch) and that he lost because he couldn't concentrate once he saw this guy had a watch.  Wearing a watch is supposedly against FIDE rules, but the arbiter said it was cool when Magnus brought it up.

So either Magnus comes up with an excuse every time he punts off a game against a much low rated opponent or he's legit so terrified of people cheating against him that a watch will send him into a tailspin.

https://twitter.com/MagnusCarlsen

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Hook 'Em 1

It sounds like Magnus is washed up and is struggling to accept that he's lost his fastball. I wouldn't pretend to know what it's like to be the very best and top in the world at anything and how I would behave having to wrestle with being passed, especially if being the Chess King was my whole identity, but I would still hope I would handle it better than what Petty Betty Magnus seems to be doing.

5 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It sounds like Magnus is washed up and is struggling to accept that he's lost his fastball. I wouldn't pretend to know what it's like to be the very best and top in the world at anything and how I would behave having to wrestle with being passed, especially if being the Chess King was my whole identity, but I would still hope I would handle it better than what Petty Betty Magnus seems to be doing.

Sigh....it's not all it's cracked up to be, lemme tell ya....

lg1984sschessking1.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh....it's not all it's cracked up to be, lemme tell ya....

lg1984sschessking1.jpg

Don't pretend you didn't shop at Chess King.  That was a go-to store in the mid-80's.

Nagle art, early synth pop, and Chess King fashion.  The 80s were a good time.   

(I was too young for the cocaine, but I've heard that was a big part of the 80s as well). 

• Drool 1

16 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Don't pretend you didn't shop at Chess King.  That was a go-to store in the mid-80's.

Nagle art, early synth pop, and Chess King fashion.  The 80s were a good time.   

(I was too young for the cocaine, but I've heard that was a big part of the 80s as well). 

You'll note that I'm not disputing a single thing you posted.

I definitely owned clothing with stripes and superfluous zippers.  And damned right I had a Nagle print on my wall - how else was I going to convince ladies I was a man of style and sophistication?

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

Magnus has gone on to lose against a 2600 rated GM and draw another 2600 rated GM.

Dude is past it.  Still wildly impressive to be so good for so long.  

These tournaments are really showing how brutal chess is going to be for a lot of the top guys going forward.  You've got a crazy amount of super young, super talented kids coming out of India.  These kids are 16/17 and already cracking the 2700s.  

https://chess-results.com/tnr831193.aspx?lan=1&art=9&fed=NOR&turdet=YES&flag=30&snr=1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

literally, shit going down

"Yan consumed alcohol with others in his room on the night of the 17th, and then he defecated in the bathtub of the room he was staying in on the 18th, in an act that damaged hotel property, violated public order and good morals, had a negative impact on the competition and the event of Xiangqi, and was of extremely bad character," the CXA said in a statement.

and

The organization then had to address allegations that Yan was cheating during the tournament with the use of anal beads. The AFP reported rumors, which spread across the Chinese social media site Weibo, of Yan using anal beads with wireless transmitters to help him in the contests.

"Based on our understanding of the situation, it is currently impossible to prove that Yan engaged in cheating via ‘anal beads’ as speculated on social media," the organization said.

• Haha 2

The organization then had to address allegations that Yan was cheating during the tournament with the use of anal beads. The AFP reported rumors, which spread across the Chinese social media site Weibo, of Yan using anal beads with wireless transmitters to help him in the contests.

"Based on our understanding of the situation, it is currently impossible to prove that Yan engaged in cheating via ‘anal beads’ as speculated on social media," the organization said.

If eastern religion and its view of reincarnation is correct, then I wanna know what the guy who became Yang’s anal bead did it his former life that was so bad…

Yan consumed alcohol with others in his room on the night of the 17th, and then he defecated in the bathtub of the room he was staying in on the 18th, in an act that damaged hotel property, violated public order and good morals, had a negative impact on the competition and the event of Xiangqi, and was of extremely bad character," the CXA said in a statement.

That's one hell of a dump.

image.png.cb16fa90e6eccb1388a9c005bb85c110.png

I didnt even know they had Panchos in China

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2023 at 3:33 PM, BeardIP said:

Yea, seems like he lost the fastball. Father Time is undefeated:

There are many things you can do better than a 10-year-old — accurately describe puberty, contribute to a 401(k), buy cigarettes — but there’s one thing you’re absolutely not going to do better than one specific Argentine 10-year-old: play chess. Faustino Oro, AKA “Golden Boy,” beat 33-year-old world No. 1 Magnus Carlsen in a quick-fire game. Real impressive, kid.