Jump to content

I’m going to Graceland (Elvis Presley)


Bogeywon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Headed there on my first trip this Friday. Touring the house Saturday. Hoping we have time Friday when we get to hotel to hit sun records. Anyone ever been?? Also Elvis is a bad MF’er so I figured I’d drop this thread. 
 

my favorite song:

Guy was just the ultimate entertainer. Any other fans?

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There used to be a Gibson guitar factory down there.  Never made it inside but wish I had.  
 

civil rights museum is definitely worth the time.

Also, Beale street flippers - those dudes are athletic.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, G650 said:

It's a good time. I'm not sure if the Peabody still has the ducks that walk into the fountain buts that's pretty fun if they do.

Great hotel.

Graceland is smaller than I imagined it would be from the photos.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Graceland is a lot smaller than expected.  It's also not as outlandish as you've been conditioned to believe.  The famous Jungle Room is just a basement rec room that is decorated in a Tiki theme. Really not out of place in a 60s house.  The carpet on the ceiling and walls is just in the billiards room for sound dampening since it is just below the living room.  Everything is just decorated in what was extremely trendy at the time.  There are still excesses, like the wall of TVs, but it's definitely not like what you're expecting.  I thought the car collection and the plane were really cool.

 

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2022 at 7:21 PM, Bogeywon said:

Thats why I said entertainer. 

Sorry Bogey.....As Wheels says, Paul Simon is the noted sawed-off, song stealing bastard.  

https://www.laweekly.com/los-lobos-on-paul-simon-do-you-mean-zydeco-when-you-say-zy-decko/

Quote

Oh, I have plenty of recollections of working on that one. I don't know if you heard the stories, but it was not a pleasant deal for us. I mean he [Simon] quite literally — and in no way do I exaggerate when I say — he stole the songs from us.   - Steve Berlin

Quote

I remember he played me the one he did by John Hart, and I know John Hart, the last song on the record. He goes, “Yeah, I did this in Louisiana with this zy decko guy.” And he kept saying it over and over. And I remember having to tell him, “Paul, it's pronounced zydeco. It's not zy decko, it's zydeco.” I mean that's how incredibly dilettante he was about this stuff. The guy was clueless.    - Steve Berlin

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 1: Sun records 

the white X is where Elvis stood to record that’s all right mama. I’m standing on it holy shit! The microphone was used by him and all the other artists that came in that era. They let you hold it and act a fool! So cool! The vibe and energy was so awesome! As a musician I can’t even begin to tell you how awesome this was 

A282534A-324E-42FF-A64D-08DD427A549F.thumb.jpeg.310fcf69bcefa08bde76f7ac7fdfff83.jpegD864D33C-E4B2-4AE9-963F-E443B940D0BE.thumb.jpeg.0702860958790542b3a5f6141067f3b5.jpeg3444E695-DE7E-4BC0-8E74-D32F8F930FBB.thumb.jpeg.9f92361333edd79624c88edf8c07664e.jpeg

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Day 1: Sun records 

the white X is where Elvis stood to record that’s all right mama. I’m standing on it holy shit! The microphone was used by him and all the other artists that came in that era. They let you hold it and act a fool! So cool! The vibe and energy was so awesome! As a musician I can’t even begin to tell you how awesome this was 

A282534A-324E-42FF-A64D-08DD427A549F.thumb.jpeg.310fcf69bcefa08bde76f7ac7fdfff83.jpegD864D33C-E4B2-4AE9-963F-E443B940D0BE.thumb.jpeg.0702860958790542b3a5f6141067f3b5.jpeg3444E695-DE7E-4BC0-8E74-D32F8F930FBB.thumb.jpeg.9f92361333edd79624c88edf8c07664e.jpeg

I don't think they used that Fender Excelsior during Elvis' sessions. 

(Shouldn't have sold mine)

Edited by Deej
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2022 at 5:33 PM, Bogeywon said:

Headed there on my first trip this Friday. Touring the house Saturday. Hoping we have time Friday when we get to hotel to hit sun records. Anyone ever been?? Also Elvis is a bad MF’er so I figured I’d drop this thread. 
 

my favorite song:

Guy was just the ultimate entertainer. Any other fans?

 

Yes, indeed. He's the King. 

Report back.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2022 at 11:47 AM, CooterBrown said:

Graceland is a lot smaller than expected.  It's also not as outlandish as you've been conditioned to believe.  The famous Jungle Room is just a basement rec room that is decorated in a Tiki theme. Really not out of place in a 60s house.  The carpet on the ceiling and walls is just in the billiards room for sound dampening since it is just below the living room.  Everything is just decorated in what was extremely trendy at the time.  There are still excesses, like the wall of TVs, but it's definitely not like what you're expecting.  I thought the car collection and the plane were really cool.

 

Too bad Bogey didn't read this beforehand, may have saved him a few bucks.  We went through there back in '98 on our way to family reunion in Michigan, although we weren't fans, enjoyed the tour enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

food truck out front sells fried peanut butter and nanner sammiches.....

>>

Poor boys and pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland
And my traveling companions are ghosts and empty sockets
I'm looking at ghosts and empties

<<

still a great album - background issues notwithstanding.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...