World Cup Round of 16 - Dec 5 (Japan/Croatia, Brazil/S. Korea) & 6 (Morocco/Spain, Portugal/Switzerland)

Captain Ron

3 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I always love where the S American countries call the other ones Nazi harborers.

Lets just forget where Mengele, Stangl and Gregory Peck were hanging out after the war.

Tons of Nazis slithered into the USA and lived out their lives. Others were tracked down in their 70s, 80s, or maybe even 90s.

The Nazi finger-pointing is tired. 

That said, I went to one of the most famous hidden Nazi villages my first year in Argentina on a trip to the province of Córdoba- La Cumbrecita.

When I returned to Buenos Aires, I was explaining where we went to the mother/owner of the flat where I was living at the time. (Older couple with grown kids and about 6-8 study abroad/language institute students.) That’s when she said-

“When your government is hiding you, no one is going to find you.”

This was in response to my describing the village under tree cover in a tiny valley with a waterfall / water source that was built under a canopy of trees. Nazi hunting search groups would fly over thousands of square miles of tree tops looking for signs of activity that would take 1 to 3 days to reach by hailing and/or horseback. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have some really fun Nazi/South American stories for another time/thread.  

We still have (very) extended family in Barcelos, Portugal.  My cousin who lives half the year in Lisbon informs me this morning (to be fair, lunchtime for them), that she and her fiance are hammered drunk, and may not make it awake to watch the match versus Switzerland.  Her rationale is that the entire country is fucked up right now and nobody is at work.  Sounds about right.  And of course, they're all planning to sober up for what should be a Qatar Quarter with Espana.  

Could have 6 Euro squads in the Quarters within 9 hours from now.

5 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Going to find a bar in Seville to watch Spain-Morocco. Hoping the Moroccans don't burn down the town if they win.

Well, it's not gonna be exactly like last time.  

Haven't been to Sevilla in a long, long time.  But I love that town.  csb/ Last time I was there, I got shitfaced with Longhorn Center-Chris Mihm.  

Really hoping we get an Iberian Hysterian matchup from today's knockouts. 

That Moroccan #17 on the left wing is pure filth. 

He’s giving off Ronaldinho/Neymar Jr vibes… and he plays for RANGERS! 🤯 He is making Spain’s right side look like school boys. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he transferred somewhere next month, but he is definitely gone by this summer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That Moroccan #17 on the left wing is pure filth. 

He’s giving off Ronaldinho/Neymar Jr vibes… and he plays for RANGERS! 🤯 He is making Spain’s right side look like school boys. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he transferred somewhere next month, but he is definitely gone by this summer. 

christmas vacation GIF

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

It almost looks like Spain is playing for PKs.... they have had a few attacks, but they havent been that aggressive since the 60th min or so

538 win probability graphic is a good illustration of why that's a big mistake for the better team (like Spain, in this instance)

image.png.683640ac4b828e2826083fcf5020eb9b.png