Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Wow. I watched Alonso's onboard all race on the side. He drove the wheels off that Aston in the long last stint to avoid the threat from the Alpines. Monster lap after monster lap, for like 27 or 28 laps.

1 hour ago, deft said:

Damn ham passing Fred looked easy.

To his defense, it did seem early in the undercut

Yeah they pitted Fred too early from the softs to the hards. It made him a sitting duck later when the others started pitting for several-lap-fresher hards & blowing right by him.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Shocking, Stroll’s car is damaged and he is in the garage.

Not his fault this time tho. Rear wing failure.

Edited by wood

12 hours ago, wood said:

Yep, and from what I can tell, it's the fundamental nature of the car, too. From what I've been reading, it's very 'on the nose' ... i.e. it's very well-planted on the front, turns in extremely well, and is prone much more to oversteer than understeer. So it needs someone who can handle that. Apparently most engineers would design as much of that into a car as they can get away with because it results in quicker cars, except that most drivers even in F1 don't like the car so 'pointy' or twitchy. It's not just Checo. You put most guys in that second seat and they'd struggle because of that. There are a handful of guys who don't mind a pointy front end, and from most accounts I'm reading, Max is the best at handling the oversteer it creates. So basically they have a car that's extremely quick at least in part because of how pointy it is, and they have the guy with the best ability to handle that, so they don't have to dial it out to compensate for the driver like they'd usually have to do.

Here's why Idk how they keep him the first time a reasonable option appears and why they want Norris.

34 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Piastri is a heady racer, love his first podium. McLaren double on merit. You love to see it. 

Piastri is the real deal imho. Absolutely a star in the making. Just so calm and unflappable ... and quick as hell. Just chilling in the driver's room, as if he'd just finished P1, like "What's the big deal?"

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, wood said:

Piastri is the real deal imho. Absolutely a star in the making. Just so calm and unflappable ... and quick as hell. Just chilling in the driver's room, as if he'd just finished P1, like "What's the big deal?"

Eh ... *FP1.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So F1 is likely going to crown their champion... after a sprint race? Lol.

Yep. Looks like it. Crazy. They can't say nobody saw this coming lol. First time ever for someone to clinch a WDC with something other than a GP result. If Max finishes 6th or higher, it's a done deal.

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What are the odds that GR and LH become the next big teammate rivalry? It certainly seems to be brewing on the track.

Russell acts like he is the principle driver with skins on the wall.  I know folks like to bag on LH here, but he has the most skins on the wall out of anyone else on the track.  He is still good at what he does.  His consistency may pay off with him coming in second in the Championship standings.     Until Hamilton becomes more of a hinderance than asset, Russel needs to know his place...and for the record, I do not like Russell.  I do like Hamilton.

If there was and index to track the least liked to most like drivers per team, MB with Russell and Hamilton would be at the top of the list for me.  I don't like Red Bull as a whole but I have come to respect the hell out of Verstappen and what he can do and how can anyone not pull for Checo.

After putting some thought into this, as I am typing, Russell is probably the least likeable guy on the grid for me.

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What are the odds that GR and LH become the next big teammate rivalry? It certainly seems to be brewing on the track.

Valtteri was a good Mercedes dog. I think maybe George got a little of the 'bad dog' treatment yesterday. We'll see how he takes it. It was also interesting to see Gasly's reaction to Alpine's orders.

2 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Russell acts like he is the principle driver with skins on the wall.  I know folks like to bag on LH here, but he has the most skins on the wall out of anyone else on the track.  He is still good at what he does.  His consistency may pay off with him coming in second in the Championship standings.     Until Hamilton becomes more of a hinderance than asset, Russel needs to know his place...and for the record, I do not like Russell.  I do like Hamilton.

If there was and index to track the least liked to most like drivers per team, MB with Russell and Hamilton would be at the top of the list for me.  I don't like Red Bull as a whole but I have come to respect the hell out of Verstappen and what he can do and how can anyone not pull for Checo.

After putting some thought into this, as I am typing, Russell is probably the least likeable guy on the grid for me.

He does. And you can tell he is hungry to win, and he isn't shy about calling out things. I think that's a volatile mix for those teammates, especially because as you said, Hamilton is the number 1 guy there until proven otherwise.

2 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Russell acts like he is the principle driver with skins on the wall. 

I hear ya, but Lewis did the same when he was a rookie at McLaren, and Lewis has done a great job overall, but as with pretty much any WDC, the skins on the wall are there because he was in the right car at the right time and beat his teammate most of the time.

20 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Yeah, I've felt the same way about George earlier in the season.  Forget which race it was, but I laughed out loud when he asked for team orders to swap with Lewis this year.  GR is a very good driver, but he's just unlikable, IMO.  I think Ocon and Stroll are worse, though.  At least George isn't dangerous out there.  Funny that Toto wasn't even at the race and he's the one that decided they were going to swap.  Probably a good thing, too.  If Sainz had gotten past Lewis, George was never going to hold him off.

I honestly don't think George is good enough currently. He is one of those guys who is just on the edge of being a top guy, but just missing that last little bit of "it". I dunno, he may smooth out his inconsistency as he ages. But currently to my eyes, Verstappen, Hamilton and Fred are a different level of driver than the rest of the field.

14 hours ago, wood said:

, but Lewis did the same when he was a rookie at McLaren

Understatement lol

• Hook 'Em 1

These guys are all in the top 0.001% of drivers in the world. They're accustomed to winning, not playing 2nd fiddle to anyone so when we see a young driver getting uppity about team orders, I feel like that's expected whether it's George, Lewis, Max, or Liam Lawson. The "team" concept in F1 is so convoluted anyways - every single driver out there is 99% me, 1% team regardless of what they may say on the radio.

I don't hold it against any of these guys when the team asks them to step aside and then they get upset about it. Even Max f'ing Checo last year at Sao Paulo (I think....) - 100% selfish and 100% expected. Some guys actually follow team orders like Gasly and Russell this past weekend but none of them are happy about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, G650 said:

I honestly don't think George is good enough currently. He is one of those guys who is just on the edge of being a top guy, but just missing that last little bit of "it". I dunno, he may smooth out his inconsistency as he ages. But currently to my eyes, Verstappen, Hamilton and Fred are a different level of driver than the rest of the field.

Understatement lol

Yep. Alonso and Lewis cruising 1-2, lapping all but Massa. At Monaco. The pitwall tells both drivers to conserve the cars with a lower engine power setting the rest of the way. Lewis refuses and keeps the higher setting instead, pushing and attacking Alonso who is already in the lower power setting. For the lead. At Monaco. In his 5th race of his rookie year. Alonso turns his power back up and says "I'll turn it down when he does". Lewis finally turns his power down after Dennis has to get involved over the radio.

And yeah, for me, Max, Alonso, and Lewis are easily the top tier. Everyone else is just chasing their level. At least for now, and it's been that way for a while.

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

These guys are all in the top 0.001% of drivers in the world. They're accustomed to winning, not playing 2nd fiddle to anyone so when we see a young driver getting uppity about team orders, I feel like that's expected whether it's George, Lewis, Max, or Liam Lawson. The "team" concept in F1 is so convoluted anyways - every single driver out there is 99% me, 1% team regardless of what they may say on the radio.

I don't hold it against any of these guys when the team asks them to step aside and then they get upset about it. Even Max f'ing Checo last year at Sao Paulo (I think....) - 100% selfish and 100% expected. Some guys actually follow team orders like Gasly and Russell this past weekend but none of them are happy about it.

Gasly was piiiiiissed. Still is afaik. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. Alonso and Lewis cruising 1-2, lapping all but Massa. At Monaco. The pitwall tells both drivers to conserve the cars with a lower engine power setting the rest of the way. Lewis refuses and keeps the higher setting instead, pushing and attacking Alonso who is already in the lower power setting. For the lead. At Monaco. In his 5th race of his rookie year. Alonso turns his power back up and says "I'll turn it down when he does". Lewis finally turns his power down after Dennis has to get involved over the radio.

And yeah, for me, Max, Alonso, and Lewis are easily the top tier. Everyone else is just chasing their level. At least for now, and it's been that way for a while.

Man I was riding high on McLaren this weekend, then you gotta go and remind me how things used to be. FML lol.

• Hook 'Em 1