Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Alpine is trying to be Ferrari, but can't because they are out Ferrari'ing them.

Alpine is trying to win while spending 2/3 as much money as the other manufacturers and doing everything the French way.. Good luck.

Edited by wood

OBTW, I was chosen by Aston Martin the other day to do the first ever 'I / AM A FAN' tiktok live stream today, which is why I was late to the pit walk. Me & 7 or 8 other fans on a zoom-like call, with Stoffel, (anybody seen) Mike Krack, and Fernando. So I got that goin' for me ... which is nice.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Mittens said:

Somehow I doubt he has much of a say in operations on this one.

Yeah I haven't heard that he or any of the others are major investors. That team is still controlled by Renault/Alpine ... unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I have been an utter, miserable failure at keeping this resolution. 

But I just wanted to chime in and say how much of a kick I get out of the female Irish analyst's accent. 

As long as I avoid any news, it's all live to me. I ain't getting up at zero dark 30 to watch F1. I'll stay up late for it though. Not a morning person.

• Hook 'Em 2

Good morning surly assholes, I'm about to head in for some F1 Academy.  Feels amazing outside right now, but don't worry about me and the heat later this afternoon, I'll be in the lovely air conditioning of Velocity Lounge.

Dark Knight Joker "Here we go" animated gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Not in ATX, but could you take an Uber and get dropped off like 2 miles away and just walk? Just view it like a cardio day? Throw some sneakers and shorts and hat on?

Then cool down at some spot at the track and chill?

Or you could just take a chopper like me and get dropped off inside the track.

There’s options.

2 hours ago, morehornsepower said:

Damn @wood, I'm sorry and congrats?  Sounds like you won't forget this weekend, at least. :)

We bailed again on enduring the COTA logistical shitshow, so will be watching the broadcasts somewhere well-air conditioned.  There's a local British pub in RR that we may check out for a few of the sessions at least.

Yeah ya gotta take the bad (COTA) with the good (Aston Martin zooms with Fernando and (has anyone seen) Mike Krack. 

I'm still on the fence about just going out there today. Tickets are cheap and falling, but got damn, it'll be hot.

1 hour ago, texas08 said:

Not in ATX, but could you take an Uber and get dropped off like 2 miles away and just walk? Just view it like a cardio day? Throw some sneakers and shorts and hat on?

There’s options.

Yeah if I go I'm thinking about using Lot Z Parking on Elroy near Lot L. Not affiliated with COTA. Or I might just head out there and try my luck. I dunno. I got my kid a free Lot H pass from a reddit chick who said she would be using it. 

10 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Qualifying at the hottest part of the day is dope af. Quit being Nancies. 

I just went through 80 days of 100 degrees plus and most of those at 105+. If I want to bitch that it's 97 in late October, I'm going to bitch it's 97 in late October.

25 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

We took our daughter to a playground yesterday after 5 and I remarked to my wife "I am so burned out on seeking shade." It's a fucking beating. 

Yeah, clouds would be nice.

2 hours ago, texas08 said:

There’s options.

I have always just parked in the Stoney Ridge neighborhood and then rode my bike over along McAngus Rd. Always worked like a charm especially after the fan walk when traffic is deadlocked and shuttle bus lines stretch to hundreds of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

The stands look empty on Tv. General admission as well.

1) it's FP1 2) I thought GA looked pretty crowded for FP1, especially at the hill at T1.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

It’s hot as fuck

fucking cota website says for lot d come in on 812 and turn left. Get to the turn and police tell me I can’t turn, have to go a mile and make a u turn

Yep. Traffic control & transportation plan  is a complete joke, as usual. Crossing traffic goingto different lots, too many cops in some places, not enough in others. Some places they're just sitting in their cars doing nothing, can't turn left onto 130 from Elroy Rd leaving COTA, had to do the u-turn like you, etc. Just so idiotic.

&Yeah it's hot AF. It was 100F during Q3. 

20 minutes ago, texas08 said:

$90?!??

that’s fucking stupid as fuck

Yeah they're on sale online right now for $27. ETA: at least the AM caps are. They're also $90 at COTA.

Edited by wood

6 hours ago, utbone04 said:

I have always just parked in the Stoney Ridge neighborhood and then rode my bike over along McAngus Rd. Always worked like a charm especially after the fan walk when traffic is deadlocked and shuttle bus lines stretch to hundreds of people.

FYI y'all I tried out Lot Z today. Not affiliated with COTA, right next to Lot L. it was about $40 online, $50 cash. Walked right across Lot L to the T11 entrance. Worked great. Traffic controlled very well, unlike COTA. Easy, peasy.

So a couple of days ago I saw a post by someone who said they'd read that AM's COTA sims had them 9th quickest. Got damn if they weren't spot on. So yeah, this probably isn't the best place for this car to shine. I was hoping AM would take my question I had for Fernando, but instead they took the one I had for Krack. I asked him how he thought the rough track would affect the weekend. He thought it would be huge and had a long answer, but something that stuck out for me was when he said that in terms of durability in the design process, they just design the car to withstand COTA's bumps. He said if they can achieve that, then they know the car is strong enough to handle any track on the calendar.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Overall still had fun. 
sat in the bleachers at turn 4. Absolutely nuts to see the cars take the “S”s. The Mercedes, Red Bulls and Ferraris look they are on rails. Such a nice brr brr zoom when they hit it right. 

Yeah, so many people never even bother to go to the east side of the track. That's where you can see F1 cars do what F1 cars do best, and they're missing it. Oh well.

46 minutes ago, mackavelli said:

I’ll be out there tomorrow. COTA is always a bit of a beating but I always love the experience once I get in and eventually home.

I heard water stations were scarce today. Packing extra frozen bottles.

Oh that reminds me, they were telling everyone at the gates that metal containers were not allowed. When I heard that, I immediately stuffed mine down in my backpack. When I approached the metal detector, they said we need our bags open, so I opened it. Went through the detector with a Yeti cup and a Hydroflask bottle, my keys, and my phone, and it didn't alarm. Then I expected them to search my bag, but nobody said shit, so I kept walking. They barely even scanned my ticket, and missed people left and right.

And yeah I ran out of water and looked for a water station & never could find one.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2