Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

And he was moving. Turn 1 at Portimao is pretty much flat.

sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/portimao-friday-notebook-2/

the grandstand where the car landed will be closed until further notice, as the FIA conducts analysis with circuit staff and event organizers. The driver, Alex Areia, later posted on social media that his car “ran out of brakes” at the end of the main straight

Michelin: We don't want to be Pirelli, dumbing down our product for the show.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/michelin-still-not-interested-in-f1-unless-it-can-supply-tires-that-don-t-destroy-themselves/ar-AA1a1Ii9?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c589800d387045dda7855bbe1fec53ef&ei=11

In conversation with The Drive's editor-in-chief Kyle Cheromcha, Michelin CEO Florent Menegaux explained that while a return to F1 is always on the table, the French tire company simply cannot agree with how the series relies on tire degradation to improve "the show."

"The question is, how do we leverage technology to have a good show? And that’s where F1 comes into play, because we have been discussing with them for a very long time—and we are not in agreement," Menegaux told The Drive. "Because they [F1] say to have the show, you have to have tires that destroy themselves. And I think, we [Michelin] don’t know how to do this. So, we cannot agree.

"Teams should be understanding tire performance and capitalizing on the fact that the tire is going to be performing from the first lap around the circuit to the last. The drivers will tell you they want to be at their maximum all the time.

"First, we need to remind ourselves why Michelin is in racing," Menegaux told The Drive. "The first element is not about the show. It’s not about the brand. It’s about the technology. We are in racing because it’s the best way to very quickly live test new technology. That’s the first reason.

"And of course there are side benefits—a side benefit is the show. A side benefit is the brand awareness. But in terms of brand awareness, Michelin is one of the best-known brands in the world. We don’t need to do this," added Menegaux.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I thought it was pretty well accepted she wrote the song about Harry Styles, who she was dating shortly before she wrote the song and released the album?

I'll admit one of my shameful secrets, is that I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan.  Her show at COTA is in my top 5 of all time, and I've been backstage for Johnny Cash and I saw U2 live on the Joshua Tree tour...

I'm skeptical but I'd be cool with my favorite racecar driver dating my favorite pop star.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

F1 really knows how to build the momentum in the early season. 

hey it isn't every year that you have something planned, a pandemic breaks out and you can't replace it! it's only been every year since 2020!

it's the 4th in a row that was cancelled lol it was on the calendar for 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 and wasn't replaced. and they didn't have a plan in place for when it was replaced for 2023 until the last min when it was too late and they couldn't get anything done at any other locations?

so dumb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I thought it was pretty well accepted she wrote the song about Harry Styles, who she was dating shortly before she wrote the song and released the album?

I'll admit one of my shameful secrets, is that I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan.  Her show at COTA is in my top 5 of all time, and I've been backstage for Johnny Cash and I saw U2 live on the Joshua Tree tour...

I'm skeptical but I'd be cool with my favorite racecar driver dating my favorite pop star.

Yeah I'm skeptical too, and I think maybe some people are just having fun with this.  I don't mind Taylor at all, either. I esp like that song, and I was backstage for Steely Dan & saw U2 live on the WAR tour. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

OMFG. Now they're talking about points for practice. WTF is up with these clowns? It's like they're actively trying to drive out everyone who was an F1 fan before they bought it, and some of the new ones as well.

5c3891114ac9fa61e0f27f9ae58f6760.gif

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, wood said:

OMFG. Now they're talking about points for practice. WTF is up with these clowns? It's like they're actively trying to drive out everyone who was an F1 fan before they bought it, and some of the new ones as well.

5c3891114ac9fa61e0f27f9ae58f6760.gif

WTF?

I’d rather they hand out points for 1-12 or 1-15 etc to highlight the midfield action. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Get in there Lewis Fernando!

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

FIA is so stupid. But at least Ferrari are happy. Are they increasing the cost cap?  

Yeah Merc isn't gonna mind it one bit either, ironically. Re: the cost cap, I haven't heard, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah Merc isn't gonna mind it one bit either, ironically. Re: the cost cap, I haven't heard, but I doubt it.

i'm very interested to see what they do when multiple teams break the cost cap.

i am also very interested to see if RBR is one of those teams or if they actually stayed under it. i imagine they did everything possible not to be 2x offenders in this area.

Here's the schedule for this weekend if you're like me and can't keep track of all the bullshit they are putting into rawe ceek:

The sprint stuff is seriously irritating with all the convolutions. The Masters should take over all sporting events.

image.thumb.png.4041eabd66506bd1f100e67bef2b4a9d.png

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Here's the schedule for this weekend if you're like me and can't keep track of all the bullshit they are putting into rawe ceek:

The sprint stuff is seriously irritating with all the convolutions. 

Yup.

IMG_2566.jpeg

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The sprint stuff is seriously irritating with all the convolutions. The Masters should take over all sporting events.

Thanks for posting this.  Are these times Central time?

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Why are they calling practice "Free Practice 1"? It's the only practice.

What a mess. They're determined to turn F1 into NASCAR.

I watched the end of Talladega last weekend. The entire "overtime" system is a complete mess. I want to say that I like the bump drafting, but it also seems like the guys spin each other out constantly without any sort of negative consequences for doing so. 

1 hour ago, wood said:

Why are they calling practice "Free Practice 1"? It's the only practice.

What a mess. They're determined to turn F1 into NASCAR.

I have been watching F1 for 26 years and this shit confuses me. Is it actually confusing or am I just old?

I feel for any new viewer coming in trying to figure out what the fuck all this shit is.

6 minutes ago, faps said:

I have been watching F1 for 26 years and this shit confuses me. Is it actually confusing or am I just old?

I feel for any new viewer coming in trying to figure out what the fuck all this shit is.

I don't think it's just your age. It's nonsensical.

Hell if F1 wants more action and more events to entice people to tune in and show up to the races, can we get a motherfucking go cart race every fucking race weekend? There’s nothing I’d like to see more than all the drivers on the grid competing in equal machinery. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, faps said:

And then it literally all changes the next weekend.

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hell if F1 wants more action and more events to entice people to tune in and show up to the races, can we get a motherfucking go cart race every fucking race weekend? There’s nothing I’d like to see more than all the drivers on the grid competing in equal machinery. 

This would be so fuckin awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

A modern BMW Procar series would be allsome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M1_Procar_Championship?wprov=sfti1

Yeah, the Mazda MX-5 Cup also has incredible racing. That type of thing would be my #1 choice. I said go carts because it seems slightly more plausible even though it won’t happen. It would be fun if F1 did an All-Star type of even during the summer break that included stuff like a go cart race. 

• Like 1