It’s Will Smith with an accent!!

GoPokes83

i'm embarrassed i don't know the answer to this, blame my standard white-washed American education lol...

but didn't we stop importing slaves in the early 1800s? and if they are running for "Lincoln's army", the Civil War has already started, so...movie set in 1863-ish...

why would they still have what is presumably meant to be African accents? 🤨

the most obvious answer is Smith can chew more scenery with an accent 🙄 but maybe there is an actual historical reason... 🤔

anyway...Ben Foster as an evil slave hunter is probably terrifying and reason enough to watch, despite Smith's melodrama (on and off screen). 

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

i'm embarrassed i don't know the answer to this, blame my standard white-washed American education lol...

but didn't we stop importing slaves in the early 1800s? and if they are running for "Lincoln's army", the Civil War has already started, so...movie set in 1863-ish...

the most obvious answer is Smith can chew more scenery with an accent 🙄 but maybe there is an actual historical reason... 🤔

anyway...Ben Foster as an evil slave hunter is probably terrifying and reason enough to watch, despite Smith's melodrama (on and off screen). 

Maybe French-Creole accent since its in Louisiana (I think)? Either way, I'm sure it's an important story, but fuck Will Smith, goddamned psychopath.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, mchookem said:

Legally it was importing slaves was outlawed in 1808 but figures vary on how many were brought in aftet that, mostly through Spanish Florida and Texas.   That ranges from 50,000 to maybe 500,000.    I think that upper number is probably too high but either way more kept being brough in even after it was "illegal."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Legally it was importing slaves was outlawed in 1808 but figures vary on how many were brought in aftet that, mostly through Spanish Florida and Texas.   That ranges from 50,000 to maybe 500,000.    I think that upper number is probably too high but either way more kept being brough in even after it was "illegal."

I think the interpretation of that law was that it outlawed the Atlantic slave trade, as in shackling them up in Africa and bringing them here. It was legally ambiguous and/or overlooked trading in the Americas and Carribean. In places like Haiti, slaves way outnumbered colonists and probably kept their accents as a mix of French, English, African, and Creole. In some of the movies the slaves have a thick southern accent mixed in with Creole, and I think those were after multiple generations in the Deep South. I just listened to a Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast on the Atlantic slave trade that was really fascinating, and of course tragic.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I think the interpretation of that law was that it outlawed the Atlantic slave trade, as in shackling them up in Africa and bringing them here. It was legally ambiguous and/or overlooked trading in the Americas and Carribean. In places like Haiti, slaves way outnumbered colonists and probably kept their accents as a mix of French, English, African, and Creole. In some of the movies the slaves have a thick southern accent mixed in with Creole, and I think those were after multiple generations in the Deep South. I just listened to a Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast on the Atlantic slave trade that was really fascinating, and of course tragic.

ahh thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. yeah... like i said, i feel like i should know a lot more about it 😒

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

I just listened to a Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast on the Atlantic slave trade that was really fascinating, and of course tragic.

I remember thinking as a kid when learning about the slave trade and then the law that "ended" importation that the law meant nothing without enforcement (which was basically impossible for the U.S. Navy at the time).   People who were willing to own another human being don't strike me as the kind who would have qualms about buying an ill-gotten human being from a privateer that brought slaves from Africa.  

While the the law outlawed importation from anywhere, as others pointed out, it's not like bringing some over from Haiti or other Caribbean islands was all that difficult.  Especially for those who probably made a handsome profit on selling other humans into slavery.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Will Smith is a self-righteous, pretentious ahole acting in a paint-by-numbers oscar bait movie.   But...
He has it in him to be a good actor, and Fuqua is good too.  So maybe?

I hope he’s at least nominated for this thing, for no other reason that he’ll have to sit his ass at home and watch what happens on TV!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

side note: best living actor without an oscar?

foster, gyllenhaal, or paul dano?

hmmm...i dunno...Dano's youngest so b/t the other two... i'd have to go with Gyllenhaal. he's been nominated once already but arguably has deserved several more nods...Nightcrawler,  Prisoners and Nocturnal Animals come to mind immediately.

i mean Foster has too, basically lol. as i said upthread, his presence pretty much makes anything must-see. damn...

but i guess bc he's more of a character actor while Jake is 'leading man' i suppose.

umm also Jake is my #1 hottest actor and has been since like Jarhead, so there's that. 

ETA me realizing what thread im lusting after Gyllenhaal in...

757412813_200w(8).gif.c4a418ff747c477e13505519158742c7.gif

Edited by mchookem
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i'd have to go with Gyllenhaal. he's been nominated once already but arguably has deserved several more nods...Nightcrawler,  Prisoners and Nocturnal Animals come to mind immediately.

Gyllenhaal is not a bad actor but Foster is amazing and one of the most underrated people in Hollywood.  That’s not Gyllenhaal. 

22 hours ago, futureman said:

Gyllenhaal is not a bad actor but Foster is amazing and one of the most underrated people in Hollywood.  That’s not Gyllenhaal. 

Gyllenhaal hasn’t done a ton of note lately, but there was a stretch where he was pretty damn amazing.

Donnie Darko, The Good Girl, Brokeback Mountain, Jarhead, Zodiac, End of Watch, Nightcrawler, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Listen

I was young once. I went with my best friend to see ID4.  I laughed.  Hell even loved the movie.  Maybe still do. 

But it's beyond me how anyone can take this douche lick seriously anymore. Dude and his frowny kids Are total weirdoes.  Plus he plays the same character in almost every movie he's ever done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/14/2022 at 8:35 AM, 'stache said:

I just listened to a Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast on the Atlantic slave trade that was really fascinating, and of course tragic.

That guys is amazing.  Every one of his podcasts are must-listens.  What's even more wild is that I heard he has very little notes.  He obviously preps, but then when he records it's all just him off the top of his head.

I would have gone with Mr. Pibb scene myself to prove his prowess.  Comedic acting is a way under-appreciated skill.  Pine does the heavy lifting in that scene, yet it is hard not to stare at Foster, who is doing almost nothing. 

Edited by Nivek

This movie BTW is pretty entertaining. Towards the end it gets overly predictable. I was half expecting Smith to have a "welcome to earth motherfucker" moment with Foster and it's not far off from that. Some of the plantation and war scenes are really well shot and disturbing.