the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Speaking of boot-licking, with no offense to you hardcore Democrats (I know how you despise us folks that don't pull straight ticket D balllots every single election cycle since we turned 18).  Obviously some smart people in a room somewhere decided it was for the best.  But as Ukraine is back on upside, Russian assets being frozen again, EU/NATO ramping up support in light of our aid package, more weapon platforms being deployed again, humanitarian aid, etc.  And again, due respect to Speaker Johnson for seeing the light.  But I think of the idiocy of his chamber of Congress still going on and I think of the two quietest things that Biden has done despite Congressional pushback.  And he can't run of them for obvious reasons.  

1.  He is doing more to crush Russia than any other President since Eisenhower or Reagan, two beloved GOP'ers.  Who say what you will about them, at least held our country in high regard and knew what an evil shitheap USSR/Russia was/is.  But he can't actively run on that.  Because it calls more attention to what we know on this thread and others, but most of America is ignorant about.  We are backfilling entire defense systems through our NATO allies and the next wave is going to be devastating, bordering on fatal, to Russia.  This is an interesting milestone in history because we will have plurally brought an empire to its knees without a single boot on the ground, for pennies on the dollar compared to the Cold War.  But we will never really be able to celebrate it for the safety of our allies.  But the goodwill it books with Europe and parts of Western Asia will benefit our grandchildren's children.  

2.  Biden surrounded himself with truly brilliant and capable people.  He can't run on that either because it could be construed as weakness by some.  "Well, he got all those people to help him look good because he's old and dumb."  We know that's not the case, but look the lack of attrition.  Look at the commitment and capability of most of his cabinet and inner circle and high level appointees.  I've never seen anything like it and I've know dozens of White House folks over the decades.  

That he can't really advertise these two truths is understandable, but will be studied for centuries as effective, and discrete, leadership.  And if Mike Johnson gets a tad of credit for any of it, I'm okay with that.  Because lives are being saved, we can get over our own internal bullshit later on.  But were I the Speaker, and I sit in my driver's seat and see Marjorie Taylor Greene limping away from my car, wiping her hands off on her dress.  I might hesitate on turning over the ignition.  Just a suggestion, Mikey.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Biden surrounded himself with truly brilliant and capable people.  He can't run on that either because it could be construed as weakness by some.  "Well, he got all those people to help him look good because he's old and dumb."  We know that's not the case, but look the lack of attrition.  Look at the commitment and capability of most of his cabinet and inner circle and high level appointees

People like to talk about the dunning Kruger effect but the more important aspect of it is that very high performers exhibit almost the opposite behavior. They are acutely aware of their limitations, even to the point of underestimating themselves, and constantly work to improve on them or bring in people who are better qualified for a given task. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

LOL

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/08/politics/house-rejects-greene-motion-to-vacate/index.html

On Wednesday evening, Greene did not rule out forcing another vote against Johnson in the future and suggested that a statement from former President Donald Trump on Truth Social supports the potential for a motion to vacate at some point – despite the fact that he urged members to vote to kill her resolution.

Pressed by CNN’s Manu Raju on whether she would trigger a vote again this Congress, Greene did not answer directly but said she is “thankful” for Trump’s support and pointed to the fact that he said on Truth Social that “at some point” Republicans may be in a position of voting on a motion to vacate.

“He also said in that statement that we may have to vacate and that’s something that I think people need to pay attention to,” Greene said.

Asked whether she believes Trump was wrong to urge members to vote to table, the congresswoman said, “I stand with President Trump. I support President Trump. I’ve talked to him every day about this.”

Three Toes talks to Trump every day , Noem constantly talks to Trump…

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

The R votes on this really tell the story of true MAGA support - R's voted 196-11 to table, or they have 11 votes in their own caucus to support removal of Johnson. I know this is just hopeful thinking, but I'd like to see this threat just go away and allow the house to actually get some legislative work done. 

Greene could well get reelected, but maybe even in her own district voters will start to realize how ineffective she is - but maybe they like having a loud mouth schnook; and to quote Foghorn Leghorn - she is about as smart as a bowling ball.

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

LOL

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/08/politics/house-rejects-greene-motion-to-vacate/index.html

Three Toes talks to Trump every day , Noem constantly talks to Trump…

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

America was built on compromise, but this has to be one of the strangest scenarios ever. 

She's giving Democrats enormous leverage to get what they want and the GOP incentive to make deals and stick to them.

If the GOP doesn't go along and negotiate in good faith then they let that goon do her thing and watch the GOP implode. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Greene could well get reelected, but maybe even in her own district voters will start to realize how ineffective she is - but maybe they like having a loud mouth schnook;

No. They love it. Someone who "won't be silenced" and constantly yells at their colleagues in government is the dream candidate for large swaths of voters. The content of what she's yelling barely even matters. The government is all bad, so someone loudly speaking out against it and having shouting matches with other politicians must be good. It's as overly-simplistic as that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No. They love it. Someone who "won't be silenced" and constantly yells at their colleagues in government is the dream candidate for large swaths of voters. The content of what she's yelling barely even matters. The government is all bad, so someone loudly speaking out against it and having shouting matches with other politicians must be good. It's as overly-simplistic as that.

She’s going against what Trump has publicly and privately said, so I don’t know how forgiving MAGA will be of her.

51 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Can we all just agree that Thomas Massie looks like a pedophile in that clip?  

Wrong. He looks like a pedophile in EVERY picture or clip. Is it becuase he's a pedophile? I don't know. But I bet Ryan Day knows, because they can smell their own. 

image.thumb.png.fb15146b583c802d11c5539ba5bf0fc3.png

image.png.3bfa07bf5f33304bb45b54b22dfefc6f.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

The R votes on this really tell the story of true MAGA support - R's voted 196-11 to table, or they have 11 votes in their own caucus to support removal of Johnson. I know this is just hopeful thinking, but I'd like to see this threat just go away and allow the house to actually get some legislative work done. 

Greene could well get reelected, but maybe even in her own district voters will start to realize how ineffective she is - but maybe they like having a loud mouth schnook; and to quote Foghorn Leghorn - she is about as smart as a bowling ball.

If she gets ousted, it would be by someone even more deplorable. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

One of the things we need to understand is that the Founding Fathers’  shitty ideas about democracy was not driven by a fear of women and minority voters. They lacked the foresight to comprehend such a thing,  you might as well have asked them to contemplate social media when drafting 1A.

No, the founders feared extending the franchise to backwards and shiftless white men. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

One of the things we need to understand is that the Founding Fathers’  shitty ideas about democracy was not driven by a fear of women and minority voters. They lacked the foresight to comprehend such a thing,  you might as well have asked them to contemplate social media when drafting 1A.

No, the founders feared extending the franchise to backwards and shiftless white men. 

Don't forget that according to Alito they were concerned with witchcraft as well, which has a direct correlation to modern interpretation of law.  

On 5/8/2024 at 9:12 PM, YGIFS said:

How do you think she lost two of those toes?  

What movie was that where the U.s. military/LEO guy finally realizes who the bombmaker is because somebody tells him that they're usually missing a piece of a finger or two due to premature explosions?  I need to send that clip to her office.  in a tasteful way, of course...

The Kingdom, maybe?