Beer 2023: Y’all still drink or nah?

HenryJames

On 2/10/2023 at 9:33 AM, CooterBrown said:

NEFF Brewing in Tulsa

Buzzed Lightyear IPA and the 11% Quad Belgian.

861269bf6ab81b06c7afbc77652e2324.jpg

Gluten free beer made with gluten free grains and not chemical processes. I wasn't a fan when they first opened, the beers tasted thin, I think they were still learning to use the larger equipment and rushed the opening, but it got better quick. It's not in my regular rotation, but only because the others are closer to my house. 

Where specifically in DFW will you be? If Dallas, Celestial and Manhattan Project are pretty good. If you want a Pint House like experience, Vector Brewing in Lake Highlands is pretty good .

If closer to Fort Worth, I know mdleast likes Turning Point. I enjoy Division Brewing over in Arlington near the Rangers ballpark. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Where specifically in DFW will you be? If Dallas, Celestial and Manhattan Project are pretty good. If you want a Pint House like experience, Vector Brewing in Lake Highlands is pretty good .
If closer to Fort Worth, I know mdleast likes Turning Point. I enjoy Division Brewing over in Arlington near the Rangers ballpark. 

Staying at the Gaylord. Will hit up the Whip In in Flower Mound to grab some to go stuff.

8 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Staying at the Gaylord. Will hit up the Whip In in Flower Mound to grab some to go stuff.

You should be able to get some Manhattan Project and Celestial there. Turning Point, Division, and Vector don't distribute as far as I know. Martin House and Community are also good. Those should be there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Has anyone tried District 9 Draught Haus? It's owned by Andy Thompson of Buck Pets "fame "

29 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Has anyone tried District 9 Draught Haus? It's owned by Andy Thompson of Buck Pets "fame "

Yes. I live not too far from them. Great place. They don't brew any beers but they have a pretty good selection of German, local, and regional beers. I've never had the food but they do some decent looking German bar food. I go by every few weeks and get some growlers from them. They or Lakewood Growler are the two places I frequent. 

You can see the beers they have on tap either on their website or via the DigitalPour app. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:05 AM, mdmost said:

Celestial is probably my favorite beer in Dallas but their tasting room isn't the greatest experience.  Manhattan Project is a nice setting and they have good bites to go with their beers.  I haven't made it to Vector yet but hear good things and trust mdmost's judgment.

If you're simply talking about picking stuff up, don't sleep on Peticolas (several of their beers are now available in cans at Central Market in Dallas or you could go to their brewery in the Design District) if you like the Lakewood Temptress beers I saw a post today on Instagram or something that they're coming out with an Irish Creme Temptress for St. Patrick's Day.  If I weren't sick with the rona I might grab one to try.

Edited by DDD Dad

In California for spring break. I remember years ago where you would have to really look around and ask the guy “if they had any in the back” to get some Pliny. These days, this is a grocery store (not a bottle shop) in San Luis Obispo:

9b561d2cac589dc87d67ea17f88f106b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I'll be in Austin Saturday and Sunday.  Prefer traditional styles like porters, ESB, pilsner, ambers. Not a fan of IPAs, sours or >7% ABV.  Could you Austin guys recommend a place or two I shouldn't miss on a quick visit?

I'm not much for IPAs either.  I do like sours, but understand why a lot of folks don't.

My favorite styles are European and nobody in the US does European styles better than Live Oak.  It's out of the way, out by the airport, but has a really nice biergarten.  Their Pilz, Hefeweizen, and Big Bark Vienna-style lagers are all excellent.  They also do a lot of smoked beer styles but it sounds like that might be a bit outside your comfort zone.  Still, you could try one and see.

And Celis is still quite good with their classic Belgian style beers.

And I like some of the beers at Pinthouse Pizza, they have a a couple of traditional stouts and lagers that are tasty, along with quite a few IPAs.  And although I'm no IPA-lover, the juicy/New England styles can be good, and Pinthouse's Electric Jellyfish falls into that category for me.

Many of the other widely praised local Austin breweries tend toward the hoppier IPAs and/or sours.

• Hook 'Em 1

Internet acquaintance in Las Vegas posted this the other day….

Just learned some sad news for us beer lovers, especially for Fat Tire connoisseurs…are you listening Red?
Went to eat at Lucille’s BBQ last night, ordered a Fat Tire on tap, it tapped out so I had to wait until they changed the keg…no big deal because Fat Tire is worth the wait.
Barkeep draws me a FT from the new keg, I immediately noticed the color isn’t right, too light to be the Belgian style ale that Fat Tire is well known for.
So I taste it and it’s definitely not the Fat Tire I’ve been drinking for at least 25 years.
I informed the barkeep that there’s something wrong with this beer, it’s definitely not Fat Tire, maybe they hooked up a keg of something else by mistake.
The barkeep says oh-no nothing wrong, that is Fat Tire’s new recipe.
I’m thinking who you trying to bullshit…you were probably still in diapers when I started drinking Fat Tire, I know my Fat Tire taste…this ain’t it.
This brew was much lighter in color, lighter taste and wasn’t anywhere near the taste of original Fat Tire. 
He offered to pour me something else if I didn’t like it, I said I’ll finish it as I hate to see beer get poured down the drain.
So while drinking this new Fat Tire recipe, which I’m not overwhelmed about and won’t order again, I look up the Fat Tire website and read about it.
Yes…Fat Tire did in fact change their recipe for what used to be a damn good Belgian style ale…I’m so disappointed.
They did this for two reasons 1) to apeal to the younger generation and 2) to appease the tree huggers.
That’s right the brewery claims that production of their new recipe leaves a smaller carbon footprint. 🤦‍♂️
I’m still drinking Fat Tire, in bottles, at the South Point every week when I’m bowling.
The new recipe bottles haven’t hit the bars there yet…but when they do, I’ll be done with Fat Tire.
You can read the story about the recipe change here.