88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Does that bill mean that if I pick up a day laborer from the Home Depot parking lot and get pulled over, I could go to jail for 10 yrs?

Very possible because you can make an argument that employing them is inducing them to stay illegally. Could also apply to family gatherings where someone spends the holidays with their undocumented cousin.

8 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Very possible because you can make an argument that employing them is inducing them to stay illegally. Could also apply to family gatherings where someone spends the holidays with their undocumented cousin.

And let's be real honest--that's where it's targeted and will be enforced.

Absolutely nobody is going to arrest a white guy like @bluto or me for having an illegal mow his lawn.  That's not happening.  We're in the class that is protected by the law, but not necessarily bound by it.

This is 100% going to be enforced against Hispanic citizens who let their cousins stay over a night or give them some money to get on their feet.  They're in the class that is bound by the law but not protected by it.

Oh, and by the way--there's an interesting RFRA claim to come out of this.  I mean, if you arrest me for meeting my Christian obligation to shelter migrants, that's a real interesting RFRA challenge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

Oh, and by the way--we're coming close to the end of the Special, and I just don't see how they get anything done on vouchers.

The Special ends November 7, and the House isn't doing shit with the Senate's voucher bill.  They have their own plan, but the Senate is never going to sign off on that.

• Like 1

Oh, and by the way--we're coming close to the end of the Special, and I just don't see how they get anything done on vouchers.
The Special ends November 7, and the House isn't doing shit with the Senate's voucher bill.  They have their own plan, but the Senate is never going to sign off on that.

Well at least that’s some good news in the face of the blatant racism from the lege we’ve seen in the last few posts.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Well at least that’s some good news in the face of the blatant racism from the lege we’ve seen in the last few posts.

A friend said the voucher stuff is the fallout from the little war/spat between Patrick and the Senate vs the House (that and the House didn't want the voucher stuff to begin with).  Quite a bit of animosity there.

9 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And let's be real honest--that's where it's targeted and will be enforced.

Absolutely nobody is going to arrest a white guy like @bluto or me for having an illegal mow his lawn.  That's not happening.  We're in the class that is protected by the law, but not necessarily bound by it.

This is 100% going to be enforced against Hispanic citizens who let their cousins stay over a night or give them some money to get on their feet.  They're in the class that is bound by the law but not protected by it.

I do not think it's a coincidence that this comes after a bunch of MAGA types  move into Texas, and after those West Texas dipshits start throwing money at Republicans and PACs, and I especially don't think this is a coincidence that it's happening after a lot of people are waking up to the fact that Hispanics have passed up whites in Texas in terms of the population. I think those things are closely tied.

I hope that a lot more Hispanics now see some of these Republican politicians in Texas for who they really are. I've seen some of those clips above being passed around by my Hispanic in-laws on Facebook, but they are mostly in El Paso and San Antonio, where there's much stronger communities to get the word out about this stuff.  My sister-in-law's dad was a bit MAGA-leaning, but I see he's cooled his jets on the GQP/Trump over the few months.

It sucks that the big-ass floating balls with razor wire on the border wasn't enough to wake them up to this.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A friend said the voucher stuff is the fallout from the little war/spat between Patrick and the Senate vs the House (that and the House didn't want the voucher stuff to begin with).  Quite a bit of animosity there.

Oh, shit--I don't think that's terribly insightful analysis.  I think it's been pretty damned clear that the House is insanely pissed at the Senate over the Paxton acquittal.  And that particular hostage was always likely to be a casualty.

I mean vouchers were always going to be a heavy lift in the House.  But the House's anger with the Senate probably makes it completely impossible.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I mean vouchers were always going to be a heavy lift in the House.  But the House's anger with the Senate probably makes it completely impossible.

When you have people in the Senate, including Patrick as Lt Gov, , as well as Paxton, who are threatening, whether explicitly or implicitly, to primary almost all of the Republicans in the House, it's going to make things interesting going forward.   They have the attitude that they can bully the House.

It's a great conversation piece  "Hey look House, I know we promised or at least somewhat implied that we would primary all of you, and I know you and your constituents didn't want vouchers even before all of this Paxton stuff, but could you please do us a favor.  Our billionaire backers are kind of threatening to primary us, which I know we threatened to do to you, and Abbott will keep calling us back to Austin if we don't do this, so please just give us vouchers.  Thanks!"

And I kind of wonder if the border bill stuff is meant to suck up all of the oxygen in the room over the voucher stuff.  Still doesn't make it right.

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

When you have people in the Senate, including Patrick as Lt Gov, , as well as Paxton, who are threatening, whether explicitly or implicitly, to primary almost all of the Republicans in the House, it's going to make things interesting going forward.   They have the attitude that they can bully the House.

@Ghost of LL is absolutely right - and to your question they threatened explicitly:
“If we do not win in that first special session, we will have another special special session and we’ll come back again,” Abbott said. “And then if we don’t win that time, I think it’s time to send this to the voters themselves.”

But here's the thing - Abbott and Patrick are creatures of Statewide GOP politics, not local politics, and the Texas Senate is more or less the same for a number of reasons for a number of reasons including the outsized influence of exurbs and big cities on the landscape. 
The house GOP is FAR more rural, and much more connected to the rural county courthouse/school district political engines that send them to Austin and mostly care about agricultural finance, jail and highway funding, and the local school district. 
So when Abbott threatens to "send this to the voters," the house members who can afford to ignore him do, because they already know where they stand on this and everything else that matters. And that was BEFORE the Patrick and the Senate fucked them on Paxton.
Now they aren't only following the will of the voters - they are looking for revenge, too. here's what is going to happen:
1) Vouchers won't pass,  and the session will end
2) Abbott will call another session, vouchers won't pass and the session will end
3) A few House members will get primaried and most of those challenges will fail. 
4a) Abbott will be appointed to 2nd Undersecretary of Shrinking Public Stature by President Trump, or
4b) Abbott will retire at the end of his term

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

4a) Abbott will be appointed to 2nd Undersecretary of Shrinking Public Stature by President Trump, or

Has Abbott said he will retire? 

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's a great conversation piece  "Hey look House, I know we promised or at least somewhat implied that we would primary all of you, and I know you and your constituents didn't want vouchers even before all of this Paxton stuff, but could you please do us a favor.  Our billionaire backers are kind of threatening to primary us, which I know we threatened to do to you, and Abbott will keep calling us back to Austin if we don't do this, so please just give us vouchers.  Thanks!"

And I kind of wonder if the border bill stuff is meant to suck up all of the oxygen in the room over the voucher stuff.  Still doesn't make it right.

It is meant to suck the oxygen.  But it's also meant to undermine the next Special.

Abbott has said he's going to call one more Special, after which he's done.  And realistically, he'd have to be, because you're then running into election season.

So the House plan is (I think) to clear the decks so that vouchers can really be the only thing on the call.  The House can then pass their plan and adjourn sine die.  They've run that play before, and it's actually a pretty good play.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Ghost of LL is absolutely right - and to your question they threatened explicitly:
“If we do not win in that first special session, we will have another special special session and we’ll come back again,” Abbott said. “And then if we don’t win that time, I think it’s time to send this to the voters themselves.”

But here's the thing - Abbott and Patrick are creatures of Statewide GOP politics, not local politics, and the Texas Senate is more or less the same for a number of reasons for a number of reasons including the outsized influence of exurbs and big cities on the landscape. 
The house GOP is FAR more rural, and much more connected to the rural county courthouse/school district political engines that send them to Austin and mostly care about agricultural finance, jail and highway funding, and the local school district. 
So when Abbott threatens to "send this to the voters," the house members who can afford to ignore him do, because they already know where they stand on this and everything else that matters. And that was BEFORE the Patrick and the Senate fucked them on Paxton.
Now they aren't only following the will of the voters - they are looking for revenge, too. here's what is going to happen:
1) Vouchers won't pass,  and the session will end
2) Abbott will call another session, vouchers won't pass and the session will end
3) A few House members will get primaried and most of those challenges will fail. 

Yeah--the "we'll take it to the voters" isn't a particularly dire threat to these House members.  Their constituents are with them on this.  Vouchers may be real fucking popular in Euless, but nobody wants them in Matador.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Followed by Governor Patrick

Maybe - I know Glenn Hagar is interested in running for Governor and maybe Patrick is too. But Patrick's got a taste for real power now. He's made himself into a Republican Bob Bullock - a transformative figure bigger than any Governor and on top of that he loves his job. Would he want to exchange that for an honorific and a house on Lavaca when he can keep what he has with an even less powerful Governor? I'm not sure. 

BTW, Paxton is very likely going to Primary Cornyn, so we've got Senator Ken Paxton to look forward to. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Maybe - I know Glenn Hagar is interested in running for Governor and maybe Patrick is too. But Patrick's got a taste for real power now. He's made himself into a Republican Bob Bullock - a transformative figure bigger than any Governor and on top of that he loves his job. Would he want to exchange that for an honorific and a house on Lavaca when he can keep what he has with an even less powerful Governor? I'm not sure. 

BTW, Paxton is very likely going to Primary Cornyn, so we've got Senator Ken Paxton to look forward to. 

Texas Governor is a great job when you want to jump into national politics.  It doesn't matter much when you're currently 73 and already the most powerful person in the state based on how the Texas Constitution splits the Gov/LG.  I don't see why Patrick would even want it unless he just wants a bully pulpit to be a real big dick at the end of his career and not do much work. 

I'm quite sure when Abbott ran in 2014, he had big national ambitions, except Donald Trump then came down that escalator 10 months later and, like a tree branch falling on your back, crippled those ambitions for the next decade.  Now he's in his mid-60s, but I guess he could potentially still want to run in 2028, because 69 (nice) is young for a presidential candidate (god damnit), and he would have 2027 to basically tour the country if he's retiring in 2026.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas Governor is a great job when you want to jump into national politics.  It doesn't matter much when you're currently 73 and already the most powerful person in the state based on how the Texas Constitution splits the Gov/LG.  I don't see why Patrick would even want it unless he just wants a bully pulpit to be a real big dick at the end of his career and not do much work. 

I'm quite sure when Abbott ran in 2014, he had big national ambitions, except Donald Trump then came down that escalator 10 months later and, like a tree branch falling on your back, crippled those ambitions for the next decade.  Now he's in his mid-60s, but I guess he could potentially still want to run in 2028, because 69 (nice) is young for a presidential candidate (god damnit), and he would have 2027 to basically tour the country if he's retiring in 2026.

Patrick isn't even in the top 4-5 of Presidential polling.  In Texas.  He ain't doing shit, because I doubt he wants to end his career publicly getting steamrolled by people that Trump will endorse over him.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Patrick isn't even in the top 4-5 of Presidential polling.  In Texas.  He ain't doing shit, because I doubt he wants to end his career publicly getting steamrolled by people that Trump will endorse over him.

Patrick isn’t that deluded. Abbott had every intention of running in 2024 but it was not to be.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

For anyone keeping track, this is what ACTUAL FUCKING FASCISM LOOKS LIKE @fattyflattie your votes at work my man

I abstained from the ‘20 and ‘22 elections and was very vocal about it here. I’ve moved onto making peace with the fact I’ll live the second half of my life in a country I’m embarrassed to be associated with, as the GOP has decided to give up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I abstained from the ‘20 and ‘22 elections and was very vocal about it here. I’ve moved onto making peace with the fact I’ll live the second half of my life in a country I’m embarrassed to be associated with, as the GOP has decided to give up. 

Sounds like you are the one who has given up.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

And this is the best we’ll get out of the brainwashed republicans. Just get them to not vote. They’ll never vote for a Democrat because, well, they don’t even really know why, but they won’t. Just do us all a favor and stay out of our way as we fight fascism. 

I will for now.  Politicians want power, there will be D’s that trend towards and become the new right.  They will not be Trumpy, and they will thirst for power and wealth, and they will get elected.   Whole country moves to the left a bit, and we start over.  Same as it ever way.  

59 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I will for now.  Politicians want power, there will be D’s that trend towards and become the new right.  They will not be Trumpy, and they will thirst for power and wealth, and they will get elected.   Whole country moves to the left a bit, and we start over.  Same as it ever way.  

Ok cool

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 8:06 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

non-fight-related abuse and neglect of dogs primarily. Aside from starvation stuff, there was a continuing case of machete attacks on dogs

What the fuck is wrong with people. 

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

For anyone keeping track, this is what ACTUAL FUCKING FASCISM LOOKS LIKE

House Republicans actually stood up to Paxton and his allies and the West Texas billionaires, but then they fucking go hard in the paint for racism.  

It's like somebody told them "hey, you are doing the right thing standing up to Paxton and Patrick" and they said "wait, we're doing the right thing? Hold on, let me file this bill to let a cop drag a brown American in Dallas all the way to the Mexican border without due process because they forgot their ID."

It's like they are trying to encourage Hispanics to get out and vote next year.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

House Republicans actually stood up to Paxton and his allies and the West Texas billionaires, but then they fucking go hard in the paint for racism.  
It's like somebody told them "hey, you are doing the right thing standing up to Paxton and Patrick" and they said "wait, we're doing the right thing? Hold on, let me file this bill to let a cop drag a brown American in Dallas all the way to the Mexican border without due process because they forgot their ID."

I mean…I look at that scenario, and sweet lord, I wish a cop would. I really, really do.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We can hope.