88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/parent-empowerment-rally-austin-tx-tickets-727548756917?aff=oddtdtcreator

School bill rally by TPPF on Monday.  I've got to be at the Capitol that morning anyway, and TPPF usually gets good catering for lunch.  So come on by, don't bother with the mouth-breathing protest and address  by Gov. Abbott afterwards.  But the part that caught my eye was the "sign making activity" beforehand.  I have a number of ideas.  I know you sick bastards do too as well.  

"I went through 91 counties with no private schools to get to the Texas Capitol this morning.  And all I got was this stupid sign."  If nothing else, come hear what these dipshits say behind "closed" doors.  Maybe we can hit up Chili Parlor afterwards.  

What time is the rally? I probably can't do it -- possibly could go by and be an agitator -- but my office is next door to the Chili parlor.

Duh, actually just clicked the link. Just reading the agenda made my blood boil.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Hook 'Em 1

God this entire "parent empowerment" and "school choice" rhetoric is so exhausting. Hey, you have that already. Want your kid to go private? You're more than welcome -- hell, you are empowered -- to do so.

But don't expect us to pay $7K a pop so your upper middle class kid can go to a hoity-toity school in the suburb of Dallas.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

God this entire "parent empowerment" and "school choice" rhetoric is so exhausting. Hey, you have that already. Want your kid to go private? You're more than welcome -- hell, you are empowered -- to do so.

But don't expect us to pay $7K a pop so your upper middle class kid can go to a hoity-toity school in the suburb of Dallas.

Little Brayden isn't going to get into Jesuit anyway...But Patriot Charter Academy (TM) will be more than happy to take his parent's $7,500 and teach him unwoke history and bible studies taught by an uncertified (and unvaccinated) creeper with a sketchy past. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

58 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I mean, with all due respect, fuck you.

It's like you expect my son to go to the public golf course to learn the game.  And that's ridiculous.  Apart from being overcrowded . . . and let's be honest--overcrowded with the wrong kind of people (wink, wink) . . . the public course is poorly maintained and has inadequate facilities.  And (Vengeful Republican) God knows that the best golf instructors won't work at the public course.

My son needs to learn the game at the country club.  And for me to have real choice over my son's golfing, the State needs to pay my country-club membership dues.

And I just don't know why you would deprive my son of his golf education.

• Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

They might, as they've done before. I saw at least one house dem trying to cave though -- Barbara Gervey-Hawkins from San Antonio (or some such name), saying "why we gonna keep fighting so hard when we gonna end up losing in the end" ...SMH

Reads to me like a bat signal for a Charles Butt donation. 

On 10/13/2023 at 3:28 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

They might, as they've done before. I saw at least one house dem trying to cave though -- Barbara Gervey-Hawkins from San Antonio (or some such name), saying "why we gonna keep fighting so hard when we gonna end up losing in the end" ...SMH

At the risk of rumoring think she has a hand in private education in some capacity. 

• Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Jonathan Stickland told to get fucked after meeting with Nick Fuentes.

Be interesting to know if it's a case of "hey, this guy meets with Nick Fuentes, we got to get rid of him" or if it's a case of Dan Patrick saying "hey, I want to keep the $3 mil, get rid of him."

Whatever makes Stickland look like an even bigger joke I’m all about. Between looking for 420 buddies online, “it’s not rape if you’re married”, and him harassing a friend of mine who had the balls to run as a County Commissioner in Dallas as a Republican, id like to see him lose everything he has that he likes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Only a hs drop out as dumb as Strickland could fuck up that Cush job 

what a fucking idiot 

And let's be CRYSTAL fucking clear.  Stickland's wrongdoing was not "meeting with, coordinating with, and soliciting ideas from a white supremacist piece of shit."  His crime was doing those things IN VIEW OF THE PUBLIC.  Everyone knows that when coordinating with white supremacists to craft sanitized, super-racist policies, you should do so in Harlan Crow's cigar room or somesuch.

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And let's be CRYSTAL fucking clear.  Stickland's wrongdoing was not "meeting with, coordinating with, and soliciting ideas from a white supremacist piece of shit."  His crime was doing those things IN VIEW OF THE PUBLIC.  Everyone knows that when coordinating with white supremacists to craft sanitized, super-racist policies, you should do so in Harlan Crow's cigar room or somesuch.

correct, his mistake was flaunting it to the public 

33 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Can you throw some details in the Tx Lege thread? Is there some buyer's remorse?

W/r/t a question from another thread. My understanding is yes - while the members of the Senate knew they were in a bit of a no-win situation on Paxton in the sense that he is a problem that would not go away, they are geniunely surprised and worried about Republican and grass roots blowback on the Paxton aquittal, particularly from suburban areas of their districts where people have better media diets than rural populations. because they are in a bubble of activists and Republican media, they did not understand that the pressure to acquit paxton was coming strictly from a narrow band of highly involved and deeply unpopular activists like Jonathan Strickland. In other words, they didn't understand they were getting astroturfed or that influential rank-and-file normie business Republicans didn't want to see Ken Paxton stay in office. So they burned the house, pissed off their districts, and in some cases are both worried they are going to get primaried and worried that Democrats are fired up enough that dispirited GOP voter turnout could cost them seats. 

And obviously the knives are coming out - do you think this Strickland thing about Nick Fuentes gets leaked if they didn't fuck the house over and publicly go to war with TLR? Dunn et al. have very deep pockets, but TLR and the entire pre-maga Texas GOP establishment does too, and isn't just going to get overthrown without a fight now that they understand the risk is existential. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4

Thanks for posting. 

Also FYI, it's Stickland... which I didn't realize until yesterday when I was reading about it and thought it was a typo. I always thought it was Strickland.

29 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

W/r/t a question from another thread. My understanding is yes - while the members of the Senate knew they were in a bit of a no-win situation on Paxton in the sense that he is a problem that would not go away, they are geniunely surprised and worried about Republican and grass roots blowback on the Paxton aquittal, particularly from suburban areas of their districts where people have better media diets than rural populations. because they are in a bubble of activists and Republican media, they did not understand that the pressure to acquit paxton was coming strictly from a narrow band of highly involved and deeply unpopular activists like Jonathan Strickland. In other words, they didn't understand they were getting astroturfed or that influential rank-and-file normie business Republicans didn't want to see Ken Paxton stay in office. So they burned the house, pissed off their districts, and in some cases are both worried they are going to get primaried and worried that Democrats are fired up enough that dispirited GOP voter turnout could cost them seats. 

And obviously the knives are coming out - do you think this Strickland thing about Nick Fuentes gets leaked if they didn't fuck the house over and publicly go to war with TLR? Dunn et al. have very deep pockets, but TLR and the entire pre-maga Texas GOP establishment does too, and isn't just going to get overthrown without a fight now that they understand the risk is existential. 

But the problem would have gone away and it was within their hands to send it packing.

If only they had spines.  

Anyhoo, now they get to live in the shit pile they created.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also FYI, it's Stickland... which I didn't realize until yesterday when I was reading about it and thought it was a typo. I always thought it was Strickland.

Because we all grew up in Texas and watched King of the Hill. Duh 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Because we all grew up in Texas and watched King of the Hill. Duh 

I hadn't considered it, but this seriously may be the answer, ol' top.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What's the noise out of the House? Are they looking to pass the Senate school voucher bill as-is, alter it, or reject it outright?

I haven't really heard from anyone non-partial. Abbott says they are at the 1-yard line. I've seen nothing from House members that say they feel any differently now than they did in May. 

My feeling is that it ends up passing because lets face it, all the shitty things seem to pass when they get pushed hard enough. 

18 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I’ve never had a good explanation for their angle in this-is it impossible to find a servile AG that is not a crook?  They seem strange bedfellows.  

Yes, but Paxton is an especially vile piece of shit. Plus, he's kompromat to them so ... 'Yahtzee!'

RE: Colony Ridge

I had never heard of this until it came up for the special session. Looking into it, the thing is nuts. Seemingly overnight, it's exploded out there. The place is massive and it's only been there a decade.

image.png.607136a2b02e4b8aaf9fd97ca76eb259.png

image.thumb.png.894a0edd5d4599d326dbe7b2fba88dfe.png

Given that it's unincorporated, it seems like anything goes -- similar to the mindset that Texas usually has on growth. Seems there are major issues with draining and flooding and shoddy development (https://reduceflooding.com/2023/10/08/karma-strikes-again-colony-ridge-drainage-systems-severely-eroding/). Crime is supposedly pretty bad.  Not sure what the state has in mind to "fix" what they don't like. I think the issue is that the people that live there are undocumented. Is the state going to round up folks?

Cleveland ISD is seeing a surge in students and is building like crazy out there. I can imagine that's lots of stress on a district. Sounds like police are feeling the same thing trying to patrol it all.

image.thumb.png.dfd010ee3ae25393fe8568c326a7feee.png

The businesses that Google shows seem pretty awesome, however.

image.thumb.png.f9599dc24828d5e1e6b5d46bc01cfeb6.png

image.thumb.png.0dbdd796134ca550f43a382b87bee964.png

image.png.a1023f60ffb3eaa203d2304192f77040.png

image.thumb.png.0c5f6edba3bcd960d0214a7fc9762af6.png

image.thumb.png.0d1493e55246f0d63e92cdbf4db28691.png

A very concerning school -- International Leadership of Texas. These kids are definitely up to no good.

image.thumb.png.61dd677113bf892b440633fce48882dc.png

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Given that it's unincorporated, it seems like anything goes -- similar to the mindset that Texas usually has on growth.

This hits close to home because I used to drive out to Cleveland when I was playing hooky...

In all seriousness, probably the most surprising thing about your quoted article is that Liberty County has infrastructure regulations. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This is the area Abbott has a big hate boner for? Even the county and local GOP are confused why he’s targeting them 

I know Abbott has singled out gang activity (SCARY BROWN PEOLE) but it’s mostly white supremacy gangs lol

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I had never heard of this until it came up for the special session. Looking into it, the thing is nuts. Seemingly overnight, it's exploded out there. The place is massive and it's only been there a decade.

image.png.607136a2b02e4b8aaf9fd97ca76eb259.png

image.thumb.png.894a0edd5d4599d326dbe7b2fba88dfe.png

Given that it's unincorporated, it seems like anything goes -- similar to the mindset that Texas usually has on growth. Seems there are major issues with draining and flooding and shoddy development (https://reduceflooding.com/2023/10/08/karma-strikes-again-colony-ridge-drainage-systems-severely-eroding/). Crime is supposedly pretty bad.  Not sure what the state has in mind to "fix" what they don't like. I think the issue is that the people that live there are undocumented. Is the state going to round up folks?

Cleveland ISD is seeing a surge in students and is building like crazy out there. I can imagine that's lots of stress on a district. Sounds like police are feeling the same thing trying to patrol it all.

image.thumb.png.dfd010ee3ae25393fe8568c326a7feee.png

The businesses that Google shows seem pretty awesome, however.

image.thumb.png.f9599dc24828d5e1e6b5d46bc01cfeb6.png

image.thumb.png.0dbdd796134ca550f43a382b87bee964.png

image.png.a1023f60ffb3eaa203d2304192f77040.png

image.thumb.png.0c5f6edba3bcd960d0214a7fc9762af6.png

image.thumb.png.0d1493e55246f0d63e92cdbf4db28691.png

A very concerning school -- International Leadership of Texas. These kids are definitely up to no good.

image.thumb.png.61dd677113bf892b440633fce48882dc.png

Colony Ridge owners have given Abbott over $1.5mil 

they have a money machine out there 

Edited by tx 3 putt

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is the area Abbott has a big hate boner for? Even the county and local GOP are confused why he’s targeting them 

I know Abbott has singled out gang activity (SCARY BROWN PEOLE) but it’s mostly white supremacy gangs lol

the real threat is those people registering to vote and wanting polling sites out there. They can fubar a very blue Texas county 

Lol.

After much ado about Colony Ridge, the Texas Legislature has little to show for it

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/10/19/colony-ridge-texas-legislature/

Local officials refuted claims made by right-wing media and Republican elected officials including Abbott and Attorney General Ken Paxton that Colony Ridge had become too dangerous for law enforcement to effectively police and had overwhelmed local government resources.

Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw said Abbott’s public concerns that the subdivision was a “no-go zone” for law enforcement were unfounded.

“There’s no such thing as a no-go zone in Texas,” McCraw said. “We obviously talked to the sheriff… and he assured us that was not the case. Certainly, our sergeant didn’t think so. Our troopers can go anywhere.”

That sheriff, Bobby Rader, testified that while Colony Ridge has more incidents of crime than other parts of Liberty County, that was to be expected given its high population density. He said he was thankful that Colony Ridge property owners association pays for 10 contract deputies to patrol the area, though he would benefit from additional funding for his department.

“I believe if we had money in a pot somewhere, we could pay for extra Liberty County deputies and constables over in that subdivision,” Rader said.