2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

kennedy has great range and a great arm, he’s just made some freshman mistakes. I’m not even sure I’d say he’s a minus fielder when you add up his great plays against bad plays, but his bat warrants him in the lineup even with his fielding mistakes.

Very true.   Leads the team .320 BA/.864 OPS

On the bloop game winning hit Friday,   though he took his eye off the ball momentarily to check the runner,   he had a long way to run.   After reviewing the tape,  it seemed the outfielders were near normal depth,  maybe a few steps in,  not many.    As the announcer stated,  that would have been an easy play for the shortstop  at normal depth or even a few steps in. 

Was the defensive alignment discussed in the game thread ?    Very unusual,  to say the least.   Normally,  the infield plays in,  but not to that extreme.  I could go on but ...

Need to designate a closer.   Gives the closer and team confidence.    Like getting married,  for better, for worse,  you are the man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torre said:

Need to designate a closer.   Gives the closer and team confidence.    Like getting married,  for better, for worse,  you are the man.

Pretty sure that was Fields....and we discovered “for worse”. 

46 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

2 WP. 2 H. 2 ER. 0 Ks. 0 outs. On 4 batters faced in the B9th in a shutout game.

Doesn’t scream “the man” “designated closer” to me.

It was the game against Tech on the 15th that screamed "the man" and "designated closer". And then that happened so now we need to find another "the man" and "designated closer". I mean designating somebody the closer does not make them good, so I don't really understand how simply designating somebody something is supposed to solve this problem.

Edited by Valmy77

16 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Agreed. Hope he gets his confidence back and can start finding the zone. I had no problem with DP trying to rebuild the mental side as middle relief on Sunday with the lead. Just didn’t work out.

Yeah that seemed about as good a place to put him back in to build his confidence.

He has the potential to be one of our best players, so I hope he gets it together.

For info.    Weather not promising at this time 59 degree high, 13mph North wind,  50% chance of showers.       https://texassports.com/news/2019/3/26/baseball-hosts-free-youth-clinic-sunday-march-31.aspx

Texas Athletics and the Texas Baseball staff and student-athletes invite you and your little ones to take part in the Longhorns Kids Clinic following Sunday's game against Xavier.

The clinic is open to boys and girls (kindergarten through 8th grade), begins approximately 15 minutes after the conclusion of the game, and lasts an hour. The clinic focuses on defensive skills and base running techniques.

Clinic Information
• Texas coaches and student-athletes will instruct young Longhorns (K-8) during the clinic session.
• Parents are encouraged to pre-register participants by emailing name, age and grade to matthew.hay@athletics.utexas.edu.
• Dress in athletics wear with appropriate shoes. (No metal spikes, please.)
• Please bring a baseball glove. All other equipment is provided by Texas Baseball.

Fans are invited to bring their children and enjoy the fun and excitement before, during and after the game and support the Longhorns.

Participants and chaperones are required to have a ticket to the game.

Please note that due to the clinic, there will be no base running or playing catch in the outfield after the game.

Stay tuned to TexasSports.com and Twitter (@TexasBaseball) for any changes regarding weather.

Texas Athletics will not take custodial responsibility of minors while participating in Texas Baseball youth clinics. Custodial responsibility remains with teachers, parents, legal guardians, and chaperones.

Edited by torre

Good story on the Surly often maligned Eric Kennedy.

This weekend, Xavier will be in town for a three-game series at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. Like baseball programs across the Big 12, the Musketeers will be getting to know UT freshman outfielder Eric Kennedy.

Among Big 12 freshmen, Kennedy ranks first in batting average (.311), runs (27) and RBIs (20). Kennedy has registered more walks than strikeouts. The Big 12’s reigning player of the week is also six-for-six on his attempted steals.

Defensively, Kennedy has committed one error this season. That mistake, though, was costly in last month’s 4-0 loss to Purdue. On Wednesday, Kennedy said he needed to get better in the field.

I’ve made probably 10 mistakes out there. I definitely need to pick that up if we’re going to be our full potential,” Kennedy said. “Coach (David) Pierce always says ‘Pitching and defense wins and hitting will come.’ I need to improve my defense so we can have the best chance to win.”

Kennedy’s older brothers, Ben and Nick, both played at Texas. He, however, did not grow up wanting to be a Longhorn. Kennedy scoffed at the idea of having a dream school, rationalizing that “if you try to go to one specific school and they don’t let you go there or you don’t get offered by them, it will just crush you, you feel like you’re a disappointment. You’ve just got to love it wherever you go.”

Originally an Alabama pledge, Kennedy de-committed due to that program’s coaching instability. According to Kennedy, Texas offered a scholarship after seeing him run 6.46 seconds in the 60-yard dash at a national showcase. Pierce confirmed that UT did not see Kennedy play before offering, but he said the team felt comfortable with that decision based on assistant coach Sean Allen’s film review, Kennedy’s family tree and the fact that he was being recruited by SEC schools.

“We felt like he was a little stiff, but the one thing that’s so hard to measure in recruiting is just what’s in their gut, what’s in their heart. This is a young man that is so coachable,” Pierce said. “It’s awesome watching this kid grow. He’s going to be a superstar.”

https://www.hookem.com/2019/03/29/eric-kennedy-quickly-makes-name-texas-growing-pains-still-exit/

• Like 1

I wish we’d commit to the future at 1b and give bertelson 3 weeks solid of playing time. 

Shaw has been bad in the field, and his bat isn’t worth much. 

May as well see how Sam reacts to being in the lineup every day. He may not take the position for the long run, but at least you know that going into next year and in recruiting. 

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I wish we’d commit to the future at 1b and give bertelson 3 weeks solid of playing time. 

May as well see how Sam reacts to being in the lineup every day. He may not take the position for the long run, but at least you know that going into next year and in recruiting. 

Bertelson had some very clutch at bats this weekend. 

On 3/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Shaw's bat woke up this Xavier series.... Thank God!!

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

That is an extremely generous ranking.

That said, will take it.

It's generous but Texas has two series wins over top 10 RPI teams (LSU and Tech) and a 2 game split with another top 10 RPI team (Arkansas).

People are undervaluing our resume. We have quality wins. We have the 2nd most Q1 wins in the country only behind the #1 RPI team in the country Oregon State. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's generous but Texas has two series wins over top 10 RPI teams (LSU and Tech) and a 2 game split with another top 10 RPI team (Arkansas).

People are undervaluing our resume. We have quality wins. We have the 2nd most Q1 wins in the country only behind the #1 RPI team in the country Oregon State. 

Yes, I get all of that.

It's still an extremely generous ranking given all the stuff you left out.