2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I look at the standings, and I can’t help but think that we are right where we are supposed to be if:

we win the Baylor rain out

we win one of the 2 blown leads against tcu

we manage to beat KSU 2 times at home

those 3 things put us on top of the standings. 

Obviously this view doesn’t take into account some of the games we struggled but won, so it’s a rather gilded view. 

Biggest glaring issue with this team to me is still it’s lack of slugging.  They get out homered every weekend, and the doubles aren’t there either. That’s ahead of bullpen inconsistency and defense for me. Need to have some hitters show up for next year, freshmen or juco. Ham and dj would be a good start. 

Like the glass half full analysis..... and lots of great points. 

More patience in the hitter's approaches, and better hitting with runners on base will really help this team.  Would be great if the running game could show up again..... and DAMN IT execute a proper bunt guys.... 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Like the glass half full analysis..... and lots of great points. 

More patience in the hitter's approaches, and better hitting with runners on base will really help this team.  Would be great if the running game could show up again..... and DAMN IT execute a proper bunt guys.... 😀

I'll simplify it a bit.  Hitters' approaches aren't terrible - certainly better than they were 2-3 years ago. HOWEVER, our guys simply miss too many meatballs.  Patience sets up hitters' counts, but that doesn't matter when you can't hit a hitter's pitch. Or when you pop it up...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I'll simplify it a bit.  Hitters' approaches aren't terrible - certainly better than they were 2-3 years ago. HOWEVER, our guys simply miss too many meatballs.  Patience sets up hitters' counts, but that doesn't matter when you can't hit a hitter's pitch. Or when you pop it up...

Great point..... lots of hitter's pitches currently not being taken advantage of by Horns batters....

Seems many are swinging too hard and/or trying to pull the ball instead of going to the opposite field depending on the pitch location.

To his credit,  Zubia does not  most of the time.    When Geib pinch hit Friday night,  did you see him take the easy swing on the outside pitch to the RF warning track ?  -  that is the way although he was just short.   Hopefully,  Geib will not develop the home run derby attitude.

Boyd's Needs Report

Texas

Remaining: 9 home, 8 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 33
ROWP: 0.601   (remaining opponents winning percentage)

Top 45:

0 home wins, 8 road wins
1 home wins, 7 road wins
2 home wins, 6 road wins
3 home wins, 5 road wins
4 home wins, 4 road wins
5 home wins, 3 road wins
6 home wins, 2 road wins
7 home wins, 1 road wins
8 home wins, 0 road wins

Top 32:

2 home wins, 8 road wins
3 home wins, 7 road wins
4 home wins, 6 road wins
5 home wins, 5 road wins
6 home wins, 4 road wins
7 home wins, 3 road wins
8 home wins, 2 road wins
9 home wins, 1 road wins

Top 16:

8 home wins, 8 road wins
9 home wins, 7 road wins

Top 8:

No way to reach the threshold.

http://boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpineeds.html

(link has all teams)

Edited by torre

Perfect Game moving to Hutto.     Great for amateur baseball in Texas.

Perfect Game, a baseball scouting organization, is moving its national headquarters to Hutto in what the city described as the single largest economic development deal in its history, according to a news release issued Thursday night.

Perfect Game will be building the city’s first indoor sports and events center and a convention hotel, the release said. It will also feature 24 baseball fields, including 10 that the city of Hutto will build for public use, according to the release. The sports and events center is designed to seat 13,000 people.

The complex in Hutto will also feature office, commercial and residential space, medical and physical therapy services, and sports and clothing apparel, the release said.

The national headquarters of Perfect Game is currently in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

The project — a partnership between Perfect Game, developer Wolverine Interests, LLC, Sports Facility Advisory/Sports Facilities Management and the City of Hutto — will bring $800 million in private investment, the release said. It will be located east of Fritz Park, located at 400 Park Avenue and on the north side of U.S. 79.

Perfect Game has entered a 30-year lease with the city for the land, according to the release. The property tax totals are expected to be $5.1 million each year, and sales tax totals are estimated to be $1.5 million annually, the release said.

The city will reinvest 60% of the property taxes back into the project for 30 years through a tax increment reinvestment zone that will pay for public infrastructure like fields, roads, utilities and garages, the release said. It said Hutto will also generate additional revenue from gate entry fees as well as receive revenue from the hotel room occupancy tax, local sponsorships and a hotel rebate program.

Perfect Game plans to host a grand opening tournament no later than Memorial Day 2021, the release said. It said all fields are anticipated to be finished by that time. Wolverine Interests expects that the first residential project will also be completed by Memorial Day 2021, the release said.

“Perfect Game’s decision to locate in Hutto, just 25 minutes from Austin, is one of the most significant events in the sports tourism industry in the last 20 years,” said Dev Pathik, founder and CEO of Sports Facilities Advisory in a statement. “Combining an SFM events center and hotel was a natural fit and will turn Hutto into one of the top scouting destinations in America. The community programs offered by SFM and Perfect Game will improve access to sports for local citizens. It is a true win, win, win.”

Hutto City Manager Odis Jones said in the release that “Perfect Game is a game changer in terms of diversifying our tax base, in particular, our tourism, hotel and convention business. It will benefit Hutto and the Central Texas region by infusing $200 million annually in direct spending to our local community, creating demand for more than 150,000 hotel room nights, and bringing Hutto a 13,000-seat indoor sports arena.”

Perfect Game founder Jerry Ford said in the release that his organization looks “forward to helping Hutto achieve its economic and community goals.”

According to Perfect Game’s website, the business “promotes the game of baseball now and in the future by hosting the highest quality amateur events while providing meaningful opportunities and information to players, families, MLB organizations, college coaches, and fans.”

It is the largest baseball showcase organization in the country and has seen 11,623 players drafted by Major League Baseball, and 1,234 major league players get their start through Perfect Game tournaments, the website said.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190418/baseball-scouting-group-moving-to-hutto-in-citys-largest-development-deal

• Like 1

12 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So this season we've lost a series to the worst Big 12 team at our home (KState), lost to San Antonio teams UTSA and Incarnate Word, and tonight we lost a game by 15 runs. I'm really surprised there's no Fire Pierce thread on this board...yet

Why ... was Texas known as a baseball school?

The wheels have truly come off.  You can count the pitchers on this staff who have confidence on one hand without using your thumb or index finger.   The catcher can’t catch.   The situational defense is terrible.  The coach is making pitching moves based on wishful thinking or on punishing guys instead of on probabilities.  If we make the tournament it will be a good salvage of the season.  Right now we are the worst team in the league except for Kansas.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The wheels have truly come off.  You can count the pitchers on this staff who have confidence on one hand without using your thumb or index finger.   The catcher can’t catch.   The situational defense is terrible.  The coach is making pitching moves based on wishful thinking or on punishing guys instead of on probabilities.  If we make the tournament it will be a good salvage of the season.  Right now we are the worst team in the league except for Kansas.   

giphy.gif

I looked at some numbers that confirmed my hunch that this is the worst staff as far as throwing strikes that we've had in years.

Year IP BB WP HPB BB+ HBP+WP per 9 BB+HBP per 9
2009 613 189 28 53 4.0 3.6
2010 569 175 28 50 4.0 3.6
2011 616.2 198 37 47 4.1 3.6
2012 469.1 160 27 41 4.4 3.9
2013 449 137 28 41 4.1 3.6
2014 601 220 42 43 4.6 3.9
2015 522.1 186 20 49 4.4 4.1
2016 505.1 196 27 33 4.6 4.1
2017 560.1 228 30 45 4.9 4.4
2018 569 273 48 63 6.1 5.3
2019 367.2 192 53 45 7.1 5.8
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I 'd love to be wrong but we aren't making the tournament.  assuming we could play .600 ball in conf and win all the tuesdays the rest of the way, we probably should, based on our OOC record but we are a runaway freight train with no brakes right now.

• Like 1

Skip Johnson was good.  I don’t think it’s tracked but I’d like to compare result of AB after a visit by him vs by Haig.  It feels like every time Haig visits the result is bad.  There may be no cause effect there because the staff generally sucks but you’d hope there’d be a positive effect

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Skip Johnson was good.  I don’t think it’s tracked but I’d like to compare result of AB after a visit by him vs by Haig.  It feels like every time Haig visits the result is bad.  There may be no cause effect there because the staff generally sucks but you’d hope there’d be a positive effect

Yeah, Skip is no question a great coach.  I don't think we were getting the best out of him because I think pitching recruiting fell off for lack of run support.

At some point pierce can only do so much teaching fundamentals and I think that’s where this team is at. The talent on the roster just isn’t there, yet. And the little talent we do have are not stepping up to be leaders. We have to remember that this staff took a team to a world series last year so I don’t think talking new coaches is justifiable. The back bone of the defense being hurt since the beginning just fucking sucks and not having at least one consistent hitter is concerning for next season. Getting a tournament bid would be solid for this team imo. 

I also think the early season success wasn’t sunshine. They played good baseball but the team is young, inconsistent and do not know how to handle adversity. 

• Like 3

Damn young team...... Has just hit a F'N Wall

2019 Texas Longhorn Baseball Roster

16 Freshman

• 10 Bryce Reagan INF S/R 6-2 190 Fr. Amherst, N.H. / IMG Academy (Fla.)
  • 24 Chase Roberts OF L/L 5-10 185 Fr. Kingwood, Texas / Oak Ridge
  • 28 Lance Ford INF L/R 5-10 175 Fr. Kerrville, Texas / Tivy
  • 30 Eric Kennedy OF L/R 5-11 195 Fr. Tampa, Fla. / Calvary Christian
  • 32 Ty Madden RHP R/R 6-3 200 Fr. Cypress, Texas / Cypress Ranch
  • 38 Jack Neely RHP R/R 6-9 220 Fr. San Antonio, Texas / Churchill
  • 39 Kolby Kubichek RHP R/R 6-0 170 Fr. Bryan, Texas / Bryan
  • 43 Peter Geib INF R/R 6-2 210 Fr. Houston, Texas / Episcopal
  • 45 Coy Cobb RHP R/R 6-4 195 Fr. Katy, Texas / Katy
  • 48 Caston Peter C R/R 6-0 200 Fr. Houston, Texas / Stratford
  • 51 Owen Meaney RHP R/R 6-5 230 Fr. Houston, Texas / St. Thomas
  • 56 Justin Eckhardt RHP R/R 6-2 190 Fr. Sealy, Texas / Sealy
  • 57 Thomas Burbank LHP/INF L/L 6-2 200 Fr. Beaumont, Texas / Monsignor Kelly Catholic
  • 58 Mason Bryant RHP R/R 6-5 220 Fr. Austin, Texas / McCallum
  • 34 Cole Quintanilla RHP R/R 6-5 220 R-Fr. Cedar Park, Texas / Cedar Park
  • 36 Turner Gauntt C R/R 5-10 160 R-Fr. Houston, Texas / Episcopal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 Sophomores

• Kamron Fields RHP/OF R/R 6-2 190 So. Garland, Texas / Lakeview Centennial
  • 13 Bryce Elder RHP R/R 6-2 220 So. Decatur, Texas / Decatur
  • 17 Nico O'Donnell RHP R/R 6-5 195 So. San Antonio, Texas / Churchill
  • 37 Matt Whelan RHP R/R 6-1 170 So. Houston, Texas / Taylor
  • 55 Sam Bertelson INF L/R 6-1 215 So. Midland, Texas / Midland
  • 35 Tristan Stevens RHP R/R 6-2 205 R-So. Springfield, Mo. / Kickapoo
  • 41 Bryson Smith INF R/R 6-1 175 R-So. Naples, Fla. / San Marino (Calif.)
  • 52 Zach Zubia INF R/R 6-4 240 R-So. Richmond, Texas / Strake Jesuit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Juniors

• David Hamilton INF L/R 5-10 175 Jr. San Marcos, Texas / San Marcos
  • Ryan Reynolds INF S/R 6-2 215 Jr. Sugar Land, Texas / Ouachita Christian (La.)
  • 11 Duke Ellis OF L/L 6-2 170 Jr. Nacogdoches, Texas / Central Heights
  • 27 Blair Henley RHP R/R 6-3 190 Jr.  Fort Worth, Texas / Arlington Heights
  • 44 Austin Todd OF R/R 6-1 175 Jr. Round Rock, Texas / Round Rock
  • 19 Donny Diaz RHP R/R 6-0 220 R-Jr. Kingsville, Texas / King

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Seniors

• DJ Petrinsky C R/R 6-0 190 Sr. Magnolia, Texas / Magnolia West
  • Masen Hibbeler INF R/R 6-0 185 Sr. Cypress, Texas / Cypress Ranch
  • 33 Matteo Bocchi RHP R/R 6-4 205 Sr. Parma, Italy / ITE Melloni
  • 46 Brandon Ivey LHP L/L 6-1 185 Sr. Houston, Texas / Concorida Lutheran
  • Tate Shaw OF L/R 5-11 190 R-Sr. Austin, Texas / Westlake
  • 40 Michael McCann C R/R 5-11 205 R-Sr. Round Rock, Texas / Cedar Ridge

On 4/21/2019 at 9:13 AM, ClubWhatever said:

I looked at some numbers that confirmed my hunch that this is the worst staff as far as throwing strikes that we've had in years.

Year IP BB WP HPB BB+ HBP+WP per 9 BB+HBP per 9
2009 613 189 28 53 4.0 3.6
2010 569 175 28 50 4.0 3.6
2011 616.2 198 37 47 4.1 3.6
2012 469.1 160 27 41 4.4 3.9
2013 449 137 28 41 4.1 3.6
2014 601 220 42 43 4.6 3.9
2015 522.1 186 20 49 4.4 4.1
2016 505.1 196 27 33 4.6 4.1
2017 560.1 228 30 45 4.9 4.4
2018 569 273 48 63 6.1 5.3
2019 367.2 192 53 45 7.1 5.8

I miss Skip

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's something. Yes, it's Wescott, but I think it touches all the bases on the problems, heh.  https://www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2019/4/22/18510582/texas-longhorns-baseball-david-pierce-david-hamilton-dj-petrinsky

Great Read.... Thx TwiceHorn!!

Thought this section of article would be funny to some critics of Haig.....

"Those type of success stories have earned Pierce and Haig some respect from national observers, including Kendall Rogers, the co-managing editor of D1Baseball.com"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This 2019 Horns baseball team could still get hot if their pitchers reduce the number of walks/game and the bats start showing up with runners on base.

No doubt injuries to Hamilton and DJ have really hurt this team for production and probably leadership.  Hibbeler, Reynolds, Todd, Zubia and Ellis have to step up over the next 13 regular season games..... Big 12 Tourney results will also be extremely important for qualifying for post season play.

I suppose that's possible, but guys have to start hitting shitty pitches, and we get plenty of them to hit.  With a couple of exceptions, Big XII pitching isn't exactly composed of world-beaters.

Wescott's article was actually pretty damn good.  Minor quibble with not paying attention to Ellis' OBP (similar to Hamilton's last year), but pretty, pretty good.

Edited by zlavydra

Crazy idea that keeps popping in my head is ask Elder to move to closer.  He's been a reliever before.... seems like he might be able to hold some late game leads like Okie Lite Gm3 and tonite's TxSt game.  Try either Bocchi or Kam as starters.... maybe they'll handle being a starter for awhile better than being a reliever??

Just not ready to give up on these guys.... 🤘

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Crazy idea that keeps popping in my head is ask Elder to move to closer.  He's been a reliever before.... seems like he might be able to hold some late game leads like Okie Lite Gm3 and tonite's TxSt game.  Try either Bocchi or Kam as starters.... maybe they'll handle being a starter for awhile better than being a reliever??

Just not ready to give up on these guys.... 🤘

its not a bad idea and they might as well try something but unfortunately these guys are done.  they can't hit consistently and when they do the pitching(mainly bullpen) is shitting the bed.  fielding isn't really any better.  its a perfect storm of crappy baseball.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

its not a bad idea and they might as well try something but unfortunately these guys are done.  they can't hit consistently and when they do the pitching(mainly bullpen) is shitting the bed.  fielding isn't really any better.  its a perfect storm of crappy baseball.

I get what your saying, but if they can somehow win the WVU series at home this weekend, there is still enough time to right the ship. During the first half of their 2019 schedule, the Horns  had a lot of clutch hits with RiSP.  They also have an off week right before blOU series.... I've seen a few successful late season runs by Horns teams of the past, still hoping for a miracle this year.  (Obligatory posts to follow about being a fool/idiot/crazy)

Hook'em 🤘