2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I get what your saying, but if they can somehow win the WVU series at home this weekend, there is still enough time to right the ship. During the first half of their 2019 schedule, the Horns  had a lot of clutch hits with RiSP.  They also have an off week right before blOU series.... I've seen a few successful late season runs by Horns teams of the past, still hoping for a miracle this year.  (Obligatory posts to follow about being a fool/idiot/crazy)

Hook'em 🤘

Fyi...

Remaining Big 12 Conference Series

OSU:   at Tech/ at blOU / Baylor

Baylor:  at TCU/ K-State/  at Okie Lite

Tech:  Okie Lite/ at blOU/  TCU 

WVa:  at Texas/  TCU/  at K-State

blOU:  at KSU/  Tech/  OSU/  at Texas

TCU:  Baylor/  at WVa/  KU/  at Tech

K-State:  blOU/  at Baylor/  WVa/  at KU

Texas:  WVa/  at KU/  blOU 

Kansas:  Texas/ at TCU/  K-State

Rumor on OB (from two different posters) is that former UT players who have attended practices under Pierce say they are a disorganized mess.  Others dispute this though.  Anyway, looking at the way we play and our poor fundamentals, this doesn't seem hard to believe.   

Maybe good recruiting, more experience, and staying healthy next year will fix our issues and we'll all look back at this year and say concerns about Pierce were misplaced.  But the trend is not good.  At this point in the season, we should be getting better and seeing some progress and development from our youngsters, especially in the pen.  We seem to be getting worse.  

We really, really need to play well against WVU at home.  Time to man up.  

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m thinking that the best this team can hope for is making the tournament, getting sent to the aggy regional as a low seed, and then shitting on their season.

Well, if that is true send them out west so I can go see in them in Corvallis, UCSB, or UCLA.  I'd prefer to see them @UCSB as I think that regional is winnable for us.

Hell send us to Tempe again.  :)

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Rumor on OB (from two different posters) is that former UT players who have attended practices under Pierce say they are a disorganized mess.  Others dispute this though.  Anyway, looking at the way we play and our poor fundamentals, this doesn't seem hard to believe.   

Maybe good recruiting, more experience, and staying healthy next year will fix our issues and we'll all look back at this year and say concerns about Pierce were misplaced.  But the trend is not good.  At this point in the season, we should be getting better and seeing some progress and development from our youngsters, especially in the pen.  We seem to be getting worse.  

I have a question about that and have had it for a while now (since Augie days).   I know the NCAA regiments practices and the amount of time they spend together. How much time does the team have to practice together?  I assume the bulk of the time is done as a scrimmage with the usual pre-game warm up stuff .  I assume each player is given a set of core drills to work on while they are "NO SIR NOT PRACTICING" individually away from the team?

Anyone know the amount and how that works exactly?  I suspect players like Kody/Kacy and others get development off campus. 

I've watched a lot of college baseball (and a fair amount of non Texas baseball) and it is almost always this sloppy.  Tying run more likely than not will come to the plate in the 8th/9th inning, etc.  You will have a team or two that seem to rake and dominate but largely, it's the gong show a lot of the time.

Edited by petscii

2 hours ago, troph said:

I don’t think an organized practice is hard to do, so I don’t believe it.

I suspect this too.  I'm sure Roger Clemens attended quite a few practices over last couple of years.  Don't think Roger would put up with poor practice habits.... Roger would give Pierce an earful.

Edited by LTtxfan

35 minutes ago, petscii said:

I have a question about that and have had it for a while now (since Augie days).   I know the NCAA regiments practices and the amount of time they spend together. How much time does the team have to practice together?  I assume the bulk of the time is done as a scrimmage with the usual pre-game warm up stuff .  I assume each player is given a set of core drills to work on while they are "NO SIR NOT PRACTICING" individually away from the team?

Anyone know the amount and how that works exactly?  I suspect players like Kody/Kacy and others get development off campus. 

Good question - I have no idea.  One of the posters from OB that knows a former player claims Pierce has complained they don't have enough practice time as a team.  Here is the quote:

"The thing that has shaken my belief that this may be a good hire for us is my friend recently shared that our practices seem to be very disorganized and not well run. Being that there are so many games and so few practices to really work on things (straight from Pierce's mouth) THAT is concerning!"

2 hours ago, troph said:

I don’t think an organized practice is hard to do, so I don’t believe it.

I don't either.  if it is true then this is worse than imagined.

my opinion is

we have a bunch of middle infielders who hit like you kind of expect middle infielders to hit, a transfer DH from Tulane, and a couple of actual OF's who are above average at the plate.  We have no catcher(plate or field)

Pierce needed to fix the hitting with either recruiting or coaching and hasn't done it.  the pitching disaster has likely taken away his time from trying to fix the hitting.

its an all around shitshow that is made much worse by the injuries.  Its apparent to me Haig isn't the solution.

we'd probably be 5 or 6 games better in the win column right now if we had Hamilton and Petrinsky.

It sucks to watch the clown car but I'm willing to wait another year to see if it is systemic with the pitching problems.  the hitting problems preceded Pierce but he hasn't done anything to make it better IMO.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

This !

Coach Pierce needs to relax and have fun and his coaching staff and team will relax and have fun... and win.     You know what I mean,  he needs to get the players to relax.   

Attended the game last night.   Lot of tension/stress is evident by body language including the coaching staff which results in subpar performance especially by the pitching staff.   Can be expected after OKSt series and overall season,  but they need to be led by the staff to turn the page - a new day.

Lot of talent on this team regardless if they are freshmen or seniors.   But what they don't have is confidence, especially the pitching staff.   Only Elder and Henley know their roles.   The rest don't know if they will set up, close, start on Tuesday, etc.   As bschool prof states,  need to develop. especially a closer.    And then show confidence in their performance even when it is lacking. 

54 minutes ago, torre said:

This !

Coach Pierce needs to relax and have fun and his coaching staff and team will relax and have fun... and win.     You know what I mean,  he needs to get the players to relax.   

Attended the game last night.   Lot of tension/stress is evident by body language including the coaching staff which results in subpar performance especially by the pitching staff.   Can be expected after OKSt series and overall season,  but they need to be led by the staff to turn the page - a new day.

Lot of talent on this team regardless if they are freshmen or seniors.   But what they don't have is confidence, especially the pitching staff.   Only Elder and Henley know their roles.   The rest don't know if they will set up, close, start on Tuesday, etc.   As bschool prof states,  need to develop. especially a closer.    And then show confidence in their performance even when it is lacking. 

he tried that after the TCU meltdown.  didn't really work to be honest.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I don't either.  if it is true then this is worse than imagined.

my opinion is

we have a bunch of middle infielders who hit like you kind of expect middle infielders to hit, a transfer DH from Tulane, and a couple of actual OF's who are above average at the plate.  We have no catcher(plate or field)

Pierce needed to fix the hitting with either recruiting or coaching and hasn't done it.  the pitching disaster has likely taken away his time from trying to fix the hitting.

its an all around shitshow that is made much worse by the injuries.  Its apparent to me Haig isn't the solution.

we'd probably be 5 or 6 games better in the win column right now if we had Hamilton and Petrinsky.

It sucks to watch the clown car but I'm willing to wait another year to see if it is systemic with the pitching problems.  the hitting problems preceded Pierce but he hasn't done anything to make it better IMO.

the formula for winning at Texas has been consistent for many decades, pitching and defense.  protect home field, get a regional and then it's one series to omaha.  prior to that it was even more important to protect home because win the regional and you were in omaha.  I don't think changing the field dimensions was a factor but it was a statement about his philosophy.  I didn't like it, and I expected pitching to fall of quite a bit.  It really saddens me because as much as I don't like the inability to score runs, I really don't like the inability to shut a team down.  I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive but I do think you have to prioritize and mine would be pitching and defense.  it's where I would spend my coaching dollars and it's where I would spend more than half my time in practice among the hitters/fielders.  I suspect he's trying to fix hitting as a priority and the rest is suffering and there is no doubt pitching was going to suffer when we lost skip.  no doubt.

Edited by troph
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

What is they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?  Hopefully, the team does "man up" this weekend and play better.

Projected field of 64       Both project Texas as one of last 4/5 teams in.      Still early,  don't panic.

At present,  Baylor, Texas St, and Houston are ahead of us in RPI.     So one of those teams could be sent to College Station and we would travel to the unknown.   Again,  still early.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html   (25 Apr)

D1 Baseball                     https://d1baseball.com/projections/college-baseball-projected-field-of-64-april-23/   (before Texas St game)

Atlanta     (zlavydra approves)

1.  Ga Tech (7)

4.   Navy

3.   Texas

2.   Auburn

Baseball America        https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/projected-field-of-64-42419/

Louisville

1.  Louisville (4) 

4.  Ball State

3.   Texas

2.   Indiana.

2 hours ago, torre said:

Projected field of 64       Both project Texas as one of last 4/5 teams in.      Still early,  don't panic.

At present,  Baylor, Texas St, and Houston are ahead of us in RPI.     So one of those teams could be sent to College Station and we would travel to the unknown.   Again,  still early.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html   (25 Apr)

D1 Baseball                     https://d1baseball.com/projections/college-baseball-projected-field-of-64-april-23/   (before Texas St game)

Atlanta     (zlavydra approves)

1.  Ga Tech (7)

4.   Navy

3.   Texas

2.   Auburn

Baseball America        https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/projected-field-of-64-42419/

Louisville

1.  Louisville (4) 

4.  Ball State

3.   Texas

2.   Indiana.

Cmon 3 seed!

Why wouldn't we be a 4 seed?  Automatic qualifiers that are worse than we are?

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, bschoolprof said:

Sounds eerily similar to Shaka and hoops.

Pierce is trending towards bad hire with every series. Hilarious that he's going into a series with Kansas battling it out for last place.

Since he's been the coach the Longhorns are 15-34 away from the Disch. With 4 road games upcoming this week, might be the final stand for this club.

Edited by HtownHorn

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Pierce is trending towards bad hire with every series. Hilarious that he's going into a series with Kansas battling it out for last place.

Since he's been the coach the Longhorns are 15-34 away from the Disch. With 4 road games upcoming this week, might be the final stand for this club.

Going to Omaha last year earned him a pass from me this year, but I am far from gruntled.  

It's hard to believe, but this Kansas series is critical for this team.  As you state, we are not a good road team under Pierce.  But our backs are against the wall and our bats have started to come alive as of late.  Do we show that we have some life left and Pierce can get this team winning on the road when we need it?  Or do we shit the bed like we have done most of the season in conference play?

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised by how his club did in the Longbeach regional back in 2017 and obviously happy with going to Omaha last year.

It will take making a regional and at the very least repeating what the 2017 team accomplished to keep me on the Pierce bandwagon. But that is a bit down the road.

One thing that amuses me is just how different coverage of the team is without Augie, he was such a big personality that he dominated everything. Pierce, on the other hand, has very little charisma...or at least seems so compared to Garrido.

Edited by Valmy77

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Another good B12 Coach struggling......

TCU playing as poorly as Texas.... lost 8 of their last 9 games.  Never thought a Jim Schlossnagle team would get swept at home by Baylor.

"TCU committed a season-high five errors to go along with two walks and three hit batters in Friday’s 6-3 loss to the Bears. The Horned Frogs also left 15 runners on base and were 1 for 12 with runners in scoring position."

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I was pleasantly surprised by how his club did in the Longbeach regional back in 2017 and obviously happy with going to Omaha last year.

It will take making a regional and at the very least repeating what the 2017 team accomplished to keep me on the Pierce bandwagon. But that is a bit down the road.

One thing that amuses me is just how different coverage of the team is without Augie, he was such a big personality that he dominated everything. Pierce, on the other hand, has very little charisma...or at least seems so compared to Garrido.

Based on the injuries and talent on this 2019 Horns team,  qualifying for a regional might be their ceiling unless they get a lot of help at the regional they travel to.....

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Based on the injuries and talent on this 2019 Horns team,  qualifying for a regional might be their ceiling unless they get a lot of help at the regional they travel to.....

Maybe. Frankly I am not really thinking about the post-season yet. I may re-evaluate when/if we get there.

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Maybe. Frankly I am not really thinking about the post-season yet. I may re-evaluate when/if we get there.

That's fair.  🤘

My mistake.... Long Beach St was a regional.  Thought it was a Super.

Horns Beat UCLA 3-2, then beat LB St 5-3.

Horns then lost next 2 games to LB St  4-3 & 2-1

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

That's fair.  🤘

My mistake.... Long Beach St was a regional.  Thought it was a Super.

Horns Beat UCLA 3-2, then beat LB St 5-3.

Then Horns lost next 2 games to LB St  4-3 & 2-1

Yep. They nearly pulled it off. And I had to freaking stay up until after midnight to watch each game, that was when I decided it was a blessing that the PAC 16 schemes all fell through.

I was very optimistic about the future after that. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 6:45 PM, EuroHorn said:

I had been saying we’d finish the season at .500.  Now I’m thinking we have a good chance of being below .500

I noticed that someone who was really eager to take that bet isn't as eager anymore.

39 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I noticed that someone who was really eager to take that bet isn't as eager anymore.

I offered three different people at the time, and got no takers.   I'm sorry you missed a window for winning money on being right.  Next time nut up some.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I never said I would or would not take the bet.  Given the games we have remaining and the way this team shits the bed, it's definitely not out of the probability that they finish at least .500 .  They've already lost once to Incarnate Word and Texas State can easily hang.  The question is how well they can do against Kansas and OU.  This year there are no guarantees, especially when Pierce still has no problem trotting out Kam Fields when the game is on the line.

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, petscii said:

I offered three different people at the time, and got no takers.   I'm sorry you missed a window for winning money on being right.  Next time nut up some.

It wasn't a wager I offered.

I don't gamble.

Next time don't be wrong.  Apparently you missed that window yourself.

Edited by Cajun