2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

Time to turnover this weakass roster.....

So how many roster spots will Pierce end up having open for the 2020 Season??

• Losing 5 Seniors for sure
  • Will Hamilton & Petrinsky return
  • 5 other Juniors eligible to try Pro Baseball
  • 3 Redshirt Sophs eligible for Pro Baseball
  • Might see a few players transfer portal
  • What returning players does Pierce have to keep roster spots for?? (Ellis? Todd?)

10 Bryce Reagan INF S/R 6-2 190   Fr.

24 Chase Roberts OF L/L 5-10 185   Fr

28 Lance Ford INF L/R 5-10 175       Fr

30 Eric Kennedy OF L/R 5-11 195     Fr

32 Ty Madden RHP R/R 6-3 200     Fr  

38 Jack Neely RHP R/R 6-9 220     Fr

39 Kolby Kubichek RHP R/R 6-0 170   Fr

43 Peter Geib INF R/R 6-2 210       Fr

45 Coy Cobb RHP R/R 6-4 195       Fr

48 Caston Peter C R/R 6-0 200       Fr

51 Owen Meaney RHP R/R 6-5 230.  Fr

56 Justin Eckhardt RHP R/R 6-2 190  Fr

57 Thomas Burbank LHP/INF L/L 6-2 200  Fr

58 Mason Bryant RHP R/R 6-5 220       Fr

34 Cole Quintanilla RHP R/R 6-5 220   R-Fr

36 Turner Gauntt C R/R 5-10 160      R-Fr

8 Kamron Fields RHP/OF R/R 6-2 190   Soph

13 Bryce Elder RHP R/R 6-2 220      Soph

17 Nico O'Donnell RHP R/R 6-5 195    Soph

37 Matt Whelan RHP R/R 6-1 170    Soph  

55 Sam Bertelson INF L/R 6-1 215    Soph

35 Tristan Stevens RHP R/R 6-2 205   R-Soph

41 Bryson Smith INF R/R 6-1 175     R-Soph

52 Zach Zubia INF R/R 6-4 240.      R-Soph

1 David Hamilton INF L/R 5-10 175    Jr.

5 Ryan Reynolds INF S/R 6-2 215       Jr

11 Duke Ellis OF L/L 6-2 170              Jr

27 Blair Henley RHP R/R 6-3 190      Jr. 

44 Austin Todd OF R/R 6-1 175        Jr

19 Donny Diaz RHP R/R 6-0 220     R-Jr

6 DJ Petrinsky C R/R 6-0 190       Sr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gone (below)

7 Masen Hibbeler INF R/R 6-0 185    Sr. 

33 Matteo Bocchi RHP R/R 6-4 205   Sr

46 Brandon Ivey LHP L/L 6-1 185      Sr. 

4 Tate Shaw OF L/R 5-11 190           R-Sr.

40 Michael McCann C R/R 5-11 205   R-Sr.  

Baylor          14-6	*   	@Oklahoma State        
Texas Tech      14-7    *	TCU
Oklahoma State  10-8    *	Oklahoma, Baylor
West Virginia   11-10   *	@Kansas State
Oklahoma        8-10    1	Oklahoma State, @Texas
TCU             8-10    1	Kansas, @Texas Tech
Kansas          8-10    1	@TCU, Kansas State
Kansas State    7-11    2	West Virginia, @Kansas
Texas           6-14    	Oklahoma

So if I've done the math right, the magic number for elimination by Kansas State is 2.   Oklahoma, TCU, and Kansas is 1.

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Honest question because I don't follow baseball recruiting like I do football.  Our last 4 recruiting classes are nationally ranked at:

35     97 WTF?       7        24

How the everliving F does Texas ever fall out of the Top 10 in baseball recruiting?

Not sure... But reviewing the current roster:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, petscii said:

Baylor          14-6	*   	@Oklahoma State        
Texas Tech      14-7    *	TCU
Oklahoma State  10-8    *	Oklahoma, Baylor
West Virginia   11-10   *	@Kansas State
Oklahoma        8-10    1	Oklahoma State, @Texas
TCU             8-10    1	Kansas, @Texas Tech
Kansas          8-10    1	@TCU, Kansas State
Kansas State    7-11    2	West Virginia, @Kansas
Texas           6-14    	Oklahoma

So if I've done the math right, the magic number for elimination by Kansas State is 2.   Oklahoma, TCU, and Kansas is 1.

I think it's 3 for KSU and 2 for the others.  If KSU goes 2-4 they will be 9-15.  If we go 3-0 we will be 9-14.  We would get in.

Edited by ClubWhatever

14 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Honest question because I don't follow baseball recruiting like I do football.

Our last 4 recruiting classes are nationally ranked at:

97 WTF?

How the everliving F does Texas ever fall out of the Top 10 in baseball recruiting?

Augie mailed it in his last few years - that's the 35. The 97 is Pierce's first class - it was a partial year because he was hired so late.  College baseball recruiting is a bit quirky in that you sign guys in the fall and they get to campus the next fall and are available to play the following spring.  So the 2017 class was signed in Fall of 2016 (Pierce was hired in late June IIRC), but were freshman in the Spring of 2018.  It was a very small class (12), two got drafted, there were some setbacks (CQ had TJ surgery).  From that class, the only guys that have seen the field are Elder, Fields, O'Donnel, Whelan, and Cole Q.  Pierce's other 2 classes have been better - 7 and 24. 

The other big issue you battle in college baseball recruiting is that studs you sign in the fall are likely to get drafted and go pro in the spring, which looks great in the recruiting rankings, but fucks you in reality.  So you can't stock your class with tons of likely-to-be drafted studs.  A few is fine, but you have to look for guys with some warts/holes and try to develop them.  That's why the lack of development this year for our returning guys is so troubling.

Finally, the rise of other good baseball programs in the region (TCU, Tech, Baylor, Rice) has made recruiting in-state Texas talent much more competitive than it used to be.

tl;dr - college baseball recruiting is hard; development is paramount.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think it's 3 for KSU and 2 for the others.  If KSU goes 2-4 they will be 9-15.  If we go 3-0 we will be 9-14.  We would get in.

Hmm.. so the Baylor rain out could help us.  I did not consider that, just assumed we would lose the tiebreaker(s)

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thx.  I figured much of it had to do with the MLB draft.

The draft has been an issue for a long time, it's not severely impacting Texas' recruiting.  Unlike football or basketball, MLB has been drafting straight out of high school from jump.  The rules have only changed regarding players that actually play in college. 

Like with everything else, we aren't the only game in town, or in state, as it were, anymore.  Part of that is our own fault, but it probably would have happened whether we were in the dumps or not.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 5/5/2019 at 6:37 PM, LTtxfan said:

Gone (below)

7 Masen Hibbeler INF R/R 6-0 185    Sr. 

33 Matteo Bocchi RHP R/R 6-4 205   Sr

46 Brandon Ivey LHP L/L 6-1 185      Sr. 

4 Tate Shaw OF L/R 5-11 190           R-Sr.

40 Michael McCann C R/R 5-11 205   R-Sr.  

How will we recover from that

• Like 1

The transition from Gus to Augie had some serious growing pains as well. 

And like I said a year or two ago, even with augie’s resume there were people questioning whether his hippie dippie methods would work at Texas. 

College baseball is a different animal now than it was 20-50 years ago, many more schools are pouring resources into their baseball program.  Previous perennial top 10 teams like Texas, Miami, usc all have to fight more programs regionally for players and it shows in the rosters. 

Couple of missed evaluations in recruiting and a couple of unexpected pro contracts, and your team can become talent deficient in a hurry. 

"Fluff" piece by Bohls in today's  AAS.    Excerpts only,  remainder has been well discussed here.   Only posting because of yearning for Texas Baseball news.

There is a slim possibility of the post-season — maybe a 10-percent chance, the head coach says — but it will likely come crashing to an embarrassing conclusion with the home finale against Oklahoma.

“Our only real hope is to sweep,” third-year head coach David Pierce told me. “But I told the team if we can sweep LSU, there’s always hope.”

Before we dissect, know this: Pierce is the man for the job and will get this turned around. Quickly, it says here.

The result has been a mediocre 25-25 record, an ugly 6-14 league mark and considerable gnashing of teeth. Mostly Pierce’s teeth. And harsh, unforgiving and totally out-of-whack Twitter rage, which is ridiculous

“That’s a bunch of BS,” Longhorns great and television analyst Keith Moreland said of the fan fallout. “David’s the right guy. I think the program is good, and the situation is good. It boils down to finding the right personnel.”

Absolutely.

Texas needs a starting pitcher or two. And more left-handers. And bigger, stronger hitters who can bang.

“Texas needs to find a way to get more physical guys,” Moreland said. “Speed is wonderful. But today with people hitting the ball out of the ballpark and moving the fences in (at Disch-Falk) last year, you’ve got to hit 50 home runs as a team to think about winning the national championship. You can win a lot of games 1-0, but you can win a helluva lot more 10-9.”

The Longhorns have hit just 25 out of the park. Nobody has hit more than Zach Zubia’s five. Oklahoma State has 62 deep flies, but in a bandbox. Five other Big 12 teams have homers in the 40s.

The fault ultimately falls on Pierce, who’s tried everything from inserting himself as the third-base coach to playing guys at new positions to recruiting a former backup catcher out of a UT class. He knows it, acknowledges it and embraces it.

But let’s put an end to any scurrilous, is-he-in-trouble talk. He’s not and shouldn’t be and remains committed to restoring Longhorns baseball to its rightful place as a perennial College World Series contender.

“Expectations are always going to be there,” Pierce said. “We’re perfectly fine with that. It’s going to flip back around.”

I’d caution anyone from panicking.

The pitching should mature in a year.

Still high on freshmen like Ty Madden, Coy Cobb and returnees like Quintanilla — who may be better suited to be a starter — and Fields. Matteo Bocchi is probably better as a starter than a reliever. Mason Bryant has to rediscover the strike zone.

The chances of a big turnaround season next year could hinge in large part to decisions by players like Hamilton, Petrinsky and third baseman Ryan Reynolds to return. No. 2 pitcher Blair Henley and Lake Travis recruit phenom Brett Baty are more likely to go pro.

Don’t look for any staff changes, and Pierce and his assistants will be hungry to flip this script.

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-theres-always-next-year-2020-looks-brighter-texas-baseball/

Texas needs a starting pitcher or two. And more left-handers. And bigger, stronger hitters who can bang

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?"  If this is what we need, this won't be a quick fix. Bohls is an idoit but we already knew that.

17 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Bohls.

What a waste of print.  

Sorry I read it.

His name is "Kirk Sucks Balls"

In his article he acts like Bocchi is returning..... isn't Bocchi a senior now??

Laundry list of current personnel deficiencies on Horns current baseball roster..... Pierce better find a closer! 🤘

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pierce better find a closer! 🤘

Among many other things.

He'd better figure out how to not have his players regress like mofos.

He'd better figure out what a 1st baseman is and isn't.

He'd better figure out how to teach these guys basics, like laying down a fucking bunt.

On and on...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Texas needs a starting pitcher or two. And more left-handers. And bigger, stronger hitters who can bang

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?"  If this is what we need, this won't be a quick fix. Bohls is an idoit but we already knew that.

We also need to score more runs and allow fewer runs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Fans shouldn't be pissed of at the results we're seeing? Really? So he and Moreland know better and the other 10s of thousands of fans are idiots?

Oh, ok. Gotcha.

Remember where Moreland gets his paychecks.

30 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Remember where Moreland gets his paychecks.

I forget which series it was (recently), but Moreland said this about one of the UT batters:"He's got a lot power, so they have to be careful. He doesn't have any homers, but that could change."

We love you Keith, but come on.

11 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I forget which series it was (recently), but Moreland said this about one of the UT batters:"He's got a lot power, so they have to be careful. He doesn't have any homers, but that could change."

We love you Keith, but come on.

You get that check and a sunshine machine comes with it with orders to "use".

• Haha 1

I wonder if anyone reviews what these guys say during games on LHN and provides feedback so they can improve??  Moreland and Galindo certainly could use constructive criticism....

We all know that they are too Damn repetitive and say some stupid shit sometimes.  A couple constants from Moreland go something like this:

• Those final 3 outs are always the hardest outs to get
  • After getting the first two hitters out, pitchers often lose their focus on that third batter

Here's a clip of Keith kissing Galindo's a$$:

giphy.gif

Guest Lobo

Yeah ,if we can win or sweep the OU series---we are still in the post-season.  Probably not for long.  

It's not so much about limping into OKC and probably going two and que up there, so much as it's just psychologically not finishing last after winning the damn conference last year and taking a series from Oklahoma that should be motivating this team.  A team has never fallen so far under Pearce at any school, not a good trend to start at Texas.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah ,if we can win or sweep the OU series---we are still in the post-season.  Probably not for long.  

It's not so much about limping into OKC and probably going two and que up there, so much as it's just psychologically not finishing last after winning the damn conference last year and taking a series from Oklahoma that should be motivating this team.  A team has never fallen so far under Pearce at any school, not a good trend to start at Texas.  

Not so sure this is on Pearce. Augie is still not bringing in recruits, and the ones that Nicholson brought in are all still Freshmen. And then there are injuries, and the lack of HR power, that Mad Dog causes with weak strength/conditioning program.  

Pearce has done his part. He brought the OF walls in, moved to coach 3B, and has brought in a veteran coaching staff from successful major programs.  

We just need to get all the other stuff out of the way.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A national invitational tournament tournament?

You need a personal identification number number to enter.

Seriously though, I think a convincing triumph over Incarnate Word will vault us ahead of UCLA for a top spot.