2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

I know it goes without saying, but anything short a 4-0 run starting with 3 versus K-State and Lamar...and we're are really starting to play ourselves out of hosting a regional.  

Plus at this rate, we are likely only going to get 2 games in with KSU this weekend given the Saturday forecast and no hope for a double-header on Sunday given the getaway requirements a team traveling as far as the Wildcats will have to (not just the flight, but the miserable drive from MCI airport to Manhattan).  Although, maybe with the earlier than usual start time on Saturday, 1:00p, maybe with rain delays...they can still squeeze in 5 innings or play a couple innings before the finale on Sunday.  

But shit, if these rain chances hold...we should demand a double-header on Friday.  We already got fucked out of a conf. win on Sunday in Waco.  We cannot afford anymore giveaways with opponents we can certainly outmatch.  

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I know it goes without saying, but anything short a 4-0 run starting with 3 versus K-State and Lamar...and we're are really starting to play ourselves out of hosting a regional.  

Plus at this rate, we are likely only going to get 2 games in with KSU this weekend given the Saturday forecast and no hope for a double-header on Sunday given the getaway requirements a team traveling as far as the Wildcats will have to (not just the flight, but the miserable drive from MCI airport to Manhattan).  Although, maybe with the earlier than usual start time on Saturday, 1:00p, maybe with rain delays...they can still squeeze in 5 innings or play a couple innings before the finale on Sunday.  

But shit, if these rain chances hold...we should demand a double-header on Friday.  We already got fucked out of a conf. win on Sunday in Waco.  We cannot afford anymore giveaways with opponents we can certainly outmatch.  

If we have any control over it you'd better believe Pierce is gonna demand a DH 

56 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I really had high hopes for Zack when he signed with the Horns, but it seems that he has just disappeared ever since the post season started last year.

In addition to trouble with the curve, he also has poor plate discipline.  Every time I've watched him this year, it seems like he's always down 0-2 right away.  After that, he's forced to swing at garbage.

Yeah, I just don't know how quick KSU can get down here from that shitheap town on Friday.  Best bet would be to move Sunday start time to as late as possible with their travel constraints to leave time in the late morning to fit in a handful of innings that may not get played Saturday.  We need 3 with these cats. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I continue to be a little perplexed by our rankings. Hope the committee sees us the same way. 

3 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

No shit. Is college baseball really that bad overall?

We're 7-6 versus Arkansas, LSU, aggy, Stanford, and Tech.  Those teams are 4, 7, 9, 11, and 15 in rpi.  Based on those results I don't think it's controversial to put us somewhere around 10 - 15 or maybe even a little higher.  Throw in the series loss to tcu and the unfortunate midweek losses to teams from San Antonio (although the polls tend to largely dismiss midweek results when teams aren't using their best pitching) and I'd bump us down a few spots.  I don't see what's surprising about where we're ranked.  The 9 from Baseball America is maybe a little high and the 14 from D1Baseball is probably about right or a little low.  Most ranked teams have better overall records but most also haven't played nearly as many ranked teams.

Among the rpi top 25, we've played the most games against the other teams ranked 1-25.  We're also one of only 8 teams to be over .500 in those games.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess I’m just not expecting that level of knowledge about teams from pollsters. 

Maybe I should, since there’s a difference between D1 and BA being baseball only or at least baseball first entities, vs who puts out football polls (coaches/GAs with agendas and AP surface level thinkers)

Yeah, there are other polls but the two I pay attention to are D1Baseball and Baseball America.  D1 is just two guys putting out the ranking.  They both get out to games in person every weekend and at least follow what's going on nationally.  Baseball America only says that the BA staff do the ranking so I don't know how many people are involved and if they are only focused on the college game.  BA also does a lot of minor league/prospect coverage.  Both of them put up a chat every Monday though talking about the new rankings for that week:

https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseball-weekly-chat-april-8/

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-college-baseball-top-25-chat-4819/

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

In addition to trouble with the curve, he also has poor plate discipline.  Every time I've watched him this year, it seems like he's always down 0-2 right away.  After that, he's forced to swing at garbage.

Eh. That’s not really true. His walk percentage is like 21% and he has a 23:30 BB to K ratio. If anything, his plate discipline is his only saving grace right now, as it’s quite solidly above average. He had pretty good numbers in that area last year too.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. That’s not really true. His walk percentage is like 21% and he has a 23:30 BB to K ratio. If anything, his plate discipline is his only saving grace right now, as it’s quite solidly above average. He had pretty good numbers in that area last year too.

ok - nevermind - my small sample size/memory is wrong.  

A thing worth mentioning about our bullpen is that I think we only have 2 LHP. So it’s hard to mix up the hitters eye, change pace, etc. I’m not trying to make excuses for Pierce and Haig but damn it’s harder to manage a game that way. 

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Also, can we just put Burtelson at first and Kennedy in left and just Shaw on the bench. Yeah he’s been kinda clutch lately but Jesus, he’s been a beating at the plate all fucking year

Bertelson is hitting .208 and a .250 slugging percentage. He isn't a better option than Shaw right now. 

We needed one of Petrinsky or Peter to be healthy for that to be a realistic option. 

8 hours ago, WBT said:

We're 7-6 versus Arkansas, LSU, aggy, Stanford, and Tech.  Those teams are 4, 7, 9, 11, and 15 in rpi.  Based on those results I don't think it's controversial to put us somewhere around 10 - 15 or maybe even a little higher.  Throw in the series loss to tcu and the unfortunate midweek losses to teams from San Antonio (although the polls tend to largely dismiss midweek results when teams aren't using their best pitching) and I'd bump us down a few spots.  I don't see what's surprising about where we're ranked.  The 9 from Baseball America is maybe a little high and the 14 from D1Baseball is probably about right or a little low.  Most ranked teams have better overall records but most also haven't played nearly as many ranked teams.

Among the rpi top 25, we've played the most games against the other teams ranked 1-25.  We're also one of only 8 teams to be over .500 in those games.

9 of our losses are to top 25 teams in the D1 poll and we have quality wins. Even the TCU series loss isn't terrible (they are #19 in D1's poll) 

Our ranking isn't that far off based on the resume. If we played a schedule like NC State's we would have a much better record. 

I think some are undervaluing how tough of a schedule we've played. There are some that think TCU and Baylor suck and they're both ranked in the top 25 in polls. 

Edited by texasstrong12

50 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Bertelson is hitting .208 and a .250 slugging percentage. He isn't a better option than Shaw right now. 

We needed one of Petrinsky or Peter to be healthy for that to be a realistic option. 

Yeah I know, but I just feel like he’d add a little power to a lineup that desperately needs some 

• Like 1

shaw has been pretty hot lately raising BA from .200 to .244 in the last couple weeks.(.384 OB% and 2nd on the team in RBI)

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Also, can we just put Burtelson at first and Kennedy in left and just Shaw on the bench. Yeah he’s been kinda clutch lately but Jesus, he’s been a beating at the plate all fucking year

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

https://texassports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=baseball

Edited by zork
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

If you want a good perspective on our schedule so far we've played 8 series and 5 have been against top 25 teams (per D1 Baseball). Then you throw in 2 midweek games against another top 25 team in Arkansas. 

Unless Oklahoma State jumps back in the rankings our final 5 series will be against teams outside the top 25. The schedule definitely eases up some now. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah I know, but I just feel like he’d add a little power to a lineup that desperately needs some 

Agreed. And he's never had an opportunity to play a few games in a row to get in a groove. Plus he seems to be pretty good defensively and a big target at 1B.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Tomorrow against Rice - pitchers listed as the always fearsome TBA v. TBA.  I'm going to guess Rice throws sophomore RHP Kel Brandwine, just because he's started the last two Tuesday games, going no more than 2 innings.

Spahn, TBA and pray for rain....

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As a heads-up: 

We'll probably be watching conference road games on ESPN+ now.

That’s annoying AF, having a bunch of conference basketball and baseball games on Warch ESPN for free was way better. I have no desire to pay for ESPN+, even if some basketball and baseball games are on there.

Mark your calendar and start planning your trip to Omaha for the 2019 NCAA® Men's College World Series®. A limited number of reserved tickets will be made available to the public this Saturday, April 13 at 10 a.m. CT. Demand is expected to be high, and some games may sell out quickly, especially Games 1-4 and Finals Games 1 and 2. Fans are encouraged to purchase online at NCAA.com/CWSTickets as soon as the sale starts. 

• Fans may purchase up to six tickets per game and an unlimited number of games.

• Only games that are guaranteed to be played will be sold through the advance sale. The If Necessary games will not be sold until it is determined they are needed.

• Prices for single game reserved seat tickets are $30-45 and tiered according to location and game.

• A valid credit or debit card will be required to purchase tickets through the advance sale.

• All tickets will be delivered electronically via Flash Seats. No paper or print-at-home tickets will be issued.

• Tickets for fans requiring Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessible seating will be available during the advance sale either online or by phone at 866-208-0048.

Don’t want to wait for Saturday? Check out the ticket options below! For additional information on the many ways to attend the CWS, please visit NCAA.com/CWSTickets.

(no link for article,   from email)

https://www.ncaa.com/tickets/baseball/d1

Horns can't afford to lose another B12 series..... Pierce has his work cut out for him with this 2019 Team.  

Series left:  At OSU, WVU, at KU, blOU

Seas
  Big 12 Overall
Team Record Pct Record Pct
Baylor 8-3 .727 24-10 .706
Oklahoma State 7-5 .583 21-13 .618
TCU 5-4 .556 22-12 .647
Texas Tech 6-6 .500 23-11 .676
Oklahoma 6-6 .500 25-12 .676
West Virginia 6-6 .500 22-13 .629
Texas 5-6 .455 23-15 .605
Kansas 4-8 .333 19-16 .543
Kansas State 3-6 .333 16-21 .432
Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah we are going to have a hard time competing for the title at this point. But hey it looked like a long shot last year until our run right at the end. Just keep at it.

Got to beat Lamar first though.

Agree.  Pierce said after yesterday's game some changes need to happen.  What are some moves folks think need to happen??

38 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree.  Pierce said after yesterday's game some changes need to happen.  What are some moves folks think need to happen??

Well I think we need Peter back ASAP. McCann is just too big of a hole in the line up and I feel bad for how often he gets hit while playing catcher. Obviously we need Kennedy back as well. I am not sure what is going on with the rest of the line up. It looked like Lance Ford was the guy and then he was terrible against Kansas State. Did they find something that other teams can exploit or did he just have an off week?

I think we are getting better with the bullpen recently and found a few consistent(-ish) arms but we need to commit to a consistent Tuesday Starter. I nominate Bocchi. Madden seemed to be the guy but he has gotten rocked a bit recently.

Edited by Valmy77

Killing a little time this morning, so did a bit of analysis on Sunday's poor offensive showing vs K-State.  Pierce really coached a horrible offensive game....

I'll show my work.....

Inning by inning pitch count during Texas at bats:

1st:    21 pitches   Horns draw 2  walks

2nd:   20 pitches.   Horns draw 2 walks

***3rd:    8 pitches   

1st batter Ford on 1-0 count grounds out

4th hitter Shaw on 0-0 count runner on 1st, grounds out

Come on Pierce, with a runner on after only 7 pitches and Shaw is swinging away on 1st pitch?  You've already drawn 4 walks from this K-State pitcher in the first 2 innings..... get this guy's pitch count up....

4th:  17 pitches

2 runners on with 2-0 count to McCann w/ 1 out, and McCann flies out because Pierce lets him swing away.  Greenlight for McCann..... wtf Pierce??

5th:  16 pitches

***6th:  8 pitches 

1st hitter Reynolds on 0-0 count grounds out

3rd hitter on 1-0 count McCann grounds out.

WTF Pierce, after 7 pitches in the inning and 1-0 count you're greenlighting McCann?  McCann??

***7th:  7 pitches

Ellis leading off 0-0 count and he grounds out.  Haven't walks been a more likely way to get Ellis on base recently??  WTF Pierce, swinging away 1st pitch after the K-State pitcher only threw 8 pitches in the 6th inning??

Why didn't Pierce try to increase the pitch count for this damn K-State starter so Horns could get to the ksu bullpen??

8th:  13 pitches

9th:  12 pitches

Gieb on 1-0 count runner on 1B with only one out has greenlight and flies out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pierce allowed the K-State starter to throw a 122 pitch complete game in Austin...... Coach Pierce has no excuses for allowing so many low pitch count innings by Texas hitters like the 3rd,  6th and 7th innings.  There is no way that the K-State pitcher would have completed the Sunday game if Pierce forces his hitters to be more patient.

I like Coach Pierce..... but he needs to look in the mirror and take part of the blame for such a poor home series against K-State.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Play the young guys that he wants on the roster next season and sit the guys he wants to run off.  Go after some JC players to fill the gaps for the 2020 season,

I look at the standings, and I can’t help but think that we are right where we are supposed to be if:

we win the Baylor rain out

we win one of the 2 blown leads against tcu

we manage to beat KSU 2 times at home

those 3 things put us on top of the standings. 

Obviously this view doesn’t take into account some of the games we struggled but won, so it’s a rather gilded view. 

Biggest glaring issue with this team to me is still it’s lack of slugging.  They get out homered every weekend, and the doubles aren’t there either. That’s ahead of bullpen inconsistency and defense for me. Need to have some hitters show up for next year, freshmen or juco. Ham and dj would be a good start.