2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

I bet they are going to rest Madden for several weeks even if it isn't a serious injury. They had sacrificed some velo for better location but there's been a pretty huge drop off in velo since he stepped on campus. 

Madden said he's been pitching with a little bit of "dead arm" so I bet they give him a month or so off. 

42 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I bet they are going to rest Madden for several weeks even if it isn't a serious injury. They had sacrificed some velo for better location but there's been a pretty huge drop off in velo since he stepped on campus. 

Madden said he's been pitching with a little bit of "dead arm" so I bet they give him a month or so off. 

Unfortunate since he’s the kind of arm we need to beat Arky but his long term belt his more important.

We're #22 in RPI and have the #19 SOS after tonight's loss to Arkansas. 

Remaining schedule-

3 games @ TCU (#109 RPI), Incarnate Word (#140 RPI), 3 games vs Xavier (#33 RPI but 6-12), A&M (#37 RPI), 3 games @ Baylor (#152 RPI), Rice (#157 RPI), 3 games vs K-State (#113 RPI), Lamar (#197 RPI), 3 games @ OK State (#47 RPI), @ Texas State (#67 RPI), 3 games vs WV (#17 RPI), @ A&M Corpus (#108 RPI), 3 games @ Kansas (#174 RPI), Incarnate Word (#140 RPI), 3 games vs OU (#83 RPI). 

Edited by texasstrong12

So high that you just sat and ate frozen patties off the back of the Sysco truck as it pulled up to deliver hamburger meat to the old stadium concession folks 

People need to stop asking/saying stupid shit to CDC

Yeah, he’s taking a good thing a little to far with the whole “available to everyday fans” thing at 4-5 personal response tweets in 24hrs about lightly supervised kids playing baseball in a ~150’x50’ strip of grass.

3rd base line has bleachers now. They had 6000+ for a midweek game last night. It’s a sound policy for 2019. Quit bugging the AD.

Can you imagine that at a higher level:

@JimCrane @Hinch @Luhnow “The gate attendant said I couldn’t bring a fungo inside MMP and rip some grounders down the concourse for my kids and their LL team. This is bullshit. I went to 3 games last season, but won’t be returning this year!“
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

Yeah, he’s taking a good thing a little to far with the whole “available to everyday fans” thing at 4-5 personal response tweets in 24hrs about lightly supervised kids playing baseball in a ~150’x50’ strip of grass.

3rd base line has bleachers now. They had 6000+ for a midweek game last night. It’s a sound policy for 2019. Quit bugging the AD.

Can you imagine that at a higher level:

@JimCrane @Hinch @Luhnow “The gate attendant said I couldn’t bring a fungo inside MMP and rip some grounders down the concourse for my kids and their LL team. This is bullshit. I went to 3 games last season, but won’t be returning this year!“

I said this on the CDC thread on the football board, but I think he does this in part to demonstrate to the fanbase at large that there are a whole bunch of idiots rooting for the Horns, and this is what he's up against.

3 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

David insinuates that food trucks have been there as early as 1975.   That's complete bs.

Yep, the trucks came after the renovation. & before the renovation there weren't any kids playing catch down there at all. I do remember them playing 'cup ball' over behind the old right field bleachers though.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I said this on the CDC thread on the football board, but I think he does this in part to demonstrate to the fanbase at large that there are a whole bunch of idiots rooting for the Horns, and this is what he's up against.

Sadly, yes.

https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty/2019/     (Texas #17)

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html  (Texas #18)

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2018/rpi-live  (Texas #19)

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi    (Texas #17)

Very, very early to talk RPI, but since the discussion in the Ark thread posted this for info.    Tech and WVU are B12 teams  presently ranked ahead of us. 

Make the field of 64 and get to Omaha - that is all that matters in college baseball. 

Edited by torre

29 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Impressed with the results so far against a relatively brutal schedule. Figured this was going to be a "rebuilding" year--shows what I know.

It should be. Pierce is absolutely killing it so far. If he gets us to hosting a regional again this year, it will be hard for me to temper my expectations for the next few years. Especially with the array of young arms we have right now.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, petscii said:

I want them in games and competitive.   I want the reason we lose to be because the other team beat us.  Not because of self inflicted stuff.  You won't win every series and every game period.  I could not be happier with DP and crew right now.

The fact that we had a sellout opening big-12 play says almost everyone is on the same page.

Even Cajun is posting in threads where we win!

LMAO

Crazy isn’t it?

I’ll try to be more pessimistic moving forward.

But, more serious-DP is doing an unbelievable job given that he’s working with paper clips & duct tape.  This team should not be where they are given what’s missing.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:11 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was a student in 1975 and went to almost all of the baseball games.  If there were food trucks there, they were well hidden, or maybe I was just drunk and high.

I remember you ... passed you a fattie and you walked off with it.

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Impressed with the results so far against a relatively brutal schedule. Figured this was going to be a "rebuilding" year--shows what I know.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It should be. Pierce is absolutely killing it so far. If he gets us to hosting a regional again this year, it will be hard for me to temper my expectations for the next few years. Especially with the array of young arms we have right now.

This.  I think we are over achieving given injuries and a talent level that is not really elite.  If Pierce keeps recruiting well, we could be a really, really good baseball program again in the next few years.  

UT's baseball championships seem to come in sets of two pretty close together.  After the first two it was 25 years until the next one, and then it was 19 years after those two.  So statistically speaking I expected our next one to be last year, but i'll take this year and then another in a year or two.

Well, Troph can serve up a mean breakfast taco, so that'd probably be counter productive.

Gotta pick my battles.

On another note, met a guy from some northern state (Michigan maybe) this past weekend who bragged a bit about going out to his friend's ranch and killing/eating a jack rabbit.  When he saw the No Bueno expression on my face his reaction was a perfect reincarnation of...

tenor.gif?itemid=12668146

Well I suck at creating avatars and my Chinese zodiac is a rabbit and this was my login avatar for windows forever so I went with it.

I’d rather it be tittes to be honest. But I’m lazy.

And there was a time I thought I’d have to do a dating profile and I would absolutely lead with breakfast tacos. I’ve been known to make them seven days a week and with a full buffet style spread on weekends.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Well I suck at creating avatars and my Chinese zodiac is a rabbit and this was my login avatar for windows forever so I went with it.

I’d rather it be tittes to be honest. But I’m lazy.

And there was a time I thought I’d have to do a dating profile and I would absolutely lead with breakfast tacos. I’ve been known to make them seven days a week and with a full buffet style spread on weekends.

Fucking tease!

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's time for us to go on a nice win streak so that I can stop thinking about how we should have swept TCU, but instead lost the series. 🤬🤬

We should. Next is the soft part of the schedule: Xavier and Incarnate Word and A&M.

Defensively

• Reynolds has struggled a lot more at 3rd base this season
  • Ford not as solid at 2nd base as Hibbeler
  • Masen has done a good job, but Hamilton obviously is a much better shortstop
  • 1st Base has been a disaster this year
  • Kennedy is sometimes a liability in Left Field 

Yeah, so far this year's Horns players have been much worse defensively than last year.

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Defensively

• Reynolds has struggled a lot more at 3rd base this season
  • Ford not as solid at 2nd base as Hibbeler
  • Masen has done a good job, but Hamilton obviously is a much better shortstop
  • 1st Base has been a disaster this year
  • Kennedy is sometimes a liability in Left Field 

Yeah, so far this year's Horns players have been much worse defensively than last year.

Hamilton going out was such a rough loss for us. 2 of those get shored up with Hamilton at SS and Hibbeler at 2nd. Plus, a healthy Petrinsky would mean he and/or McCann could play more at first, giving is a better hitter and fielder in that spot.

we just didn’t have the depth this year to sustain many injuries, especially not one as crucial as Hamilton.

kennedy has great range and a great arm, he’s just made some freshman mistakes. I’m not even sure I’d say he’s a minus fielder when you add up his great plays against bad plays, but his bat warrants him in the lineup even with his fielding mistakes.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

kennedy has great range and a great arm, he’s just made some freshman mistakes. I’m not even sure I’d say he’s a minus fielder when you add up his great plays against bad plays, but his bat warrants him in the lineup even with his fielding mistakes.

His dad is a nebraska alum from Omaha and he sent his 3 sons to Texas.  That guy must hate the huskers