2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

Look at these fucking monster dueling lineups today. 

1. Cedric Mullins (S) CF
2. Joey Rickard (R) RF
3. Jonathan Villar (S) SS
4. Trey Mancini (R) 1B
5. Chris Davis (L) DH
6. John Andreoli (R) LF
7. Breyvic Valera (S) 2B
8. Jace Peterson (L) 3B
9. Caleb Joseph (R) C

1. Whit Merrifield (R) DH
2. Alex Gordon (L) LF
3. Hunter Dozier (R) 3B
4. Ryan O'Hearn (L) 1B
5. Jorge Bonifacio (R) RF
6. Rosell Herrera (S) 2B
7. Brett Phillips (L) CF
8. Alcides Escobar (R) SS
9. Meibrys Viloria (L) C

PHILADELPHIA — Phillies manager Gabe Kapler says he has been informed pitchers are allowed to use the type of cheat sheets that umpire Joe West confiscated from reliever Austin Davis on Saturday night.

Kapler made his remarks before Sunday's series finale against the Chicago Cubs.

Kapler and Davis said the left-hander was using the card merely for information on the Cubs hitters. But West said it was illegal under Rule 6.02(c)(7), which states that the pitcher shall not have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance.

(Editorial note: lols, Joe West, you are such a gotdam retard...)

West, who is in his 41st season as an umpire, indicated Saturday night that he contacted the league office to see if the cards, which aren't specifically banned in the rule book, would be allowed.

Edited by Beau Vine

On 8/23/2018 at 9:35 AM, Sbbruin said:

We are in a heap of trouble.  4.5 back.  I think we have 7 left against the snakes, but we have got to pick up a game or 2 by Sep 1 or we're fucked.  The upside is that our cap penalties will be reset after this season, and if we miss the playoffs, the pressure will be immense to go big in the offseason.

Pick up a game or two?   You’ll take 5 and like it.  

• Like 1

Went to DC this weekend for the Maryland game (ugh). Took in Nats/Brewers on Friday night. Nationals Stadium is nice. Love the location. The Brewers just wiped their asses all night. One thing they had at the Nats game that was a nice throwback was the helmet car. It would come out every couple of innings though the relievers still ran out onto the field versus the car taking them in. The Presidents race was also enjoyable.

Took the Amtrak up to Philadelphia on Sunday morning and caught the Phillies/Cubs afternoon game. I loved their stadium though it's way south and around pretty much nothing. Another instance of the home team getting destroyed by the visitors. Cubs fans all over the place. No Phillie Phanatic which was a bummer. Had great seats for both games. I'd like to hit all of the MLB parks in this lifetime. Next summer, mdleast and I are going to do a SF/Oak trip one weekend. 

Some pics of the games.

40429739_10214433589091966_6457632639779

40430490_10214433589171968_1447044876536

40599042_10214433589971988_6150666624144

40592933_10214446304369840_7503797634117

40674463_10214446368051432_8613958491570

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Nationals Park is just meh to me. Camden was way better. Should have scooted over there if you had never been

Agreed. It was decent but nothing spectacular. The location was great though. I liked the Phillies ballpark better. Orioles were out of town this weekend. If we had gotten in earlier on Thursday and flown into BWI, we could've hit that but it was already a stretch to skip out on work both days. I'd love to go to Camden Yards but it just didn't work out this time. Had they done a Sunday game, we might've opted for that over the Phillies just for proximity. Still Amtrak to Philly was pretty easy. Took under 2 hours and we were able to leave our bags and backpacks at the 30th Street Station and go explore. 

Edited by mdmost

This is great:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/cleveland-has-taken-the-fly-ball-revolution-to-the-next-level/

Taste:

For so long, “covering the whole plate” was considered an important hitting characteristic. It was something that was taught to Lindor as a younger player.

“Yeah, that’s when I was a slap hitter,” Lindor said with a smirk. “When I try and cover the whole plate, that’s when I get in trouble. … I can cover the whole plate if I want to. I can put the ball in play any time I want. That’s not going to do any good for me or the team.”

Lindor is now eschewing pitches he cannot drive. He is becoming more disciplined. He is focused on attacking pitches — often fastballs — he can damage.

“I don’t want to cover the whole plate,” he said.

• Like 1

hypothetical: let's say that Manny Machado was having a career year for the O's during a contract year, but the O's were only on pace to win ~85 games while the Yanks and Sox were on pace for ~95+. The O's believe they won't be able to re-sign Manny, so near the deadline they deal him to LAD (on pace for ~80+ wins, behind ARI and COL) for prospects. After the trade Baltimore goes 20-46 while LAD goes 50-16 behind Manny's .330/.405/1.100, with 50 HR, 110 R, 125 RBI, and 20+ SB.

can you/would you give him an mvp vote for both leagues?