2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

The 2 AL wild card teams might have 100 wins this year.  That's crazy.  I think they should change the wild card rule anyway.  Make it a best 2 out of 3, best record team hosts all 3 games and play them in 3 consecutive days just like a regular season series.  The winner goes right into the division series with a day off for travel.  

1 hour ago, AtticusFinch said:

The 2 AL wild card teams might have 100 wins this year.  That's crazy.  I think they should change the wild card rule anyway.  Make it a best 2 out of 3, best record team hosts all 3 games and play them in 3 consecutive days just like a regular season series.  The winner goes right into the division series with a day off for travel.  

if the yanks go one and done, i'm sure there will be a push to change the rule.

• Like 1

With the Dbacks (sorry Beau) and the Phillies collapsing, looks like the NL is down to 3 teams for 2 spots. Cubs, Brewers, and Braves are almost definitely in, which leaves the Rockies, Dodgers and Cards going for the NL West and 2nd WC.

I think I speak for everyone (except SBB) when I say it would be awesome to see the Dodgers left out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

With the Dbacks (sorry Beau) and the Phillies collapsing, looks like the NL is down to 3 teams for 2 spots. Cubs, Brewers, and Braves are almost definitely in, which leaves the Rockies, Dodgers and Cards going for the NL West and 2nd WC.

I think I speak for everyone (except SBB) when I say it would be awesome to see the Dodgers left out.

Give me the Rockies out of those 3

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Get rid of the Cards and their fans. Dodgers are fine.

• Like 1

Marquez continues to roll:

German Marquez Pitching Gamelogs for Career Games 52 to 64

Date Tm
per 162 games
Jun 30 to Sep 10, 2018 COL
Date Tm G GS GF CG Rslt Dec DR IP H R ER BB SO HR HBP ERA BF BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip Pit Str StL StS GB FB LD PU Unk GSc IR IS SB CS PO AB 2B 3B IBB GDP SF ROE aLI WPA RE24 DFS(DK) DFS(FD)

per 162 games

Jun 30 to Sep 10, 2018 COL 13 13 0 0 10-3 W-L:7-1 5.0 88.1 64 26 24 18 111 7 2 2.45 342 .200 .246 .313 .559 .281 1301 68% 20% 14% 1.06   30% 3% 0 65   ---% 5 1 0 320 7 4 1 6 1 2 .99 2.271 19.37 350.35 610.00

Went back to November to look at AN's writeup of the Laureano trade - pretty funny to see the guys he's being compared to considering how well he's doing now: https://www.athleticsnation.com/2017/11/20/16683066/oakland-as-acquire-outfield-prospect-ramon-laureano-astros-trade

I’m bummed to lose Bailey, but it wasn’t for nothing. Laureano is at least as good as a couple other fringe guys I liked (Jaycob Brugman, B.J. Boyd), and as a righty he has something to differentiate him from the rest of the crowd (like Dustin Fowler, Boog Powell, and even incumbent RF Matt Joyce). On the downside, the A’s later DFA’d my beloved Bruggy to make room for other Rule 5 prospects, which makes strategic sense based on the previous sentence but makes me sad because I heart Bruggy. In an indirect sense, Laureano took Brugman’s spot on the 40-man.

The A’s traded a prospect I liked for another prospect I can get behind, one who is closer to MLB and helps in an area of immediate need. This is fine.

Edited by texifornia

What’s the best division in baseball this year? I might be biased but I think the AL West narrowly beats out the AL East simply because of Baltimore. The NL Central is 3rd. They could have 3 playoff teams but none blow me away. . Then the NL West, NL East with the AL Central obviously bringing up the rear.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

What’s the best division in baseball this year? I might be biased but I think the AL West narrowly beats out the AL East simply because of Baltimore. 

That feels right.

just go down the order of the standings and it’s pretty evenly matched until you get to the end

red Sox/astros

yankees/A’s

rays/M’s

blue jays/angels

Orioles/Rangers

58 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

I clicked on his link to his article about the McGwire/Sosa HR chase.  It blew my mind to be reminded that Sosa had THREE seasons with over 60 HRs, and didn't lead the league in any of those seasons.