2023 Texas High School Football

On 9/15/2023 at 9:11 PM, Beau Vine said:

Wimberley's one of the teams offered on Texanlive.com, and those games all seem to be on NFHSNetwork.com, too.  I think I saw another Lamp game on NFHS a couple of weeks ago.  Wimberley is better than they usually are.  Barring injuries, it'll be a big upset if anyone beats them before the state semis.

It does look like the game will have to be watched from there if I want to see it. Lampasas changed their broadcast duo this year to I believe the basketball coach and a guy fresh from out of state. The play-by-play guy is from Illinois, but has fit right in and seems to enjoy living in Lampasas.

I enjoy watching as they give out a number where you can send a text that they’ll read on air. I did it during a game to thank them and they have gotten texts from across the country (and some from out of the country) from family members tuning in to watch their grandchildren and nephews play where they otherwise would not see it. I don’t like that they are unable to do road games. I believe they can only do the radio broadcast which is kind of a bummer. The basketball coach doing the games used to coach 6-man over in Lometa. It was fun listening to him try to explain it to the new guy from Illinois.

• Like 1

At the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton today.  Very first exhibit I see in the front room for this year's class is a Texas High School football  jersey, courtesy of Zach Thomas.  Sweet.

Zach-Pampa.jpg

53 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Top games of a very shitty slate this week:

Westlake @ LT

PSJAN @ Vela @Helobious, what do you think?

Waco Connally @ Brownwood

FB Marshall @ PNG

Silsbee @ WOS

Longview @ Lancaster

Frisco Lone Star-Wakeland

SV @ NB Canyon

Randle @ Lake Creek

Albany @ Comanche

Alphabets by a comfortable margin. Vela has a great RB in Jamal Polley but it turns out their QB I thought was going to be a star remembered that he sucks. They have no passing threat and that’s not enough to beat the raiders.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That green team looked so bad that I thought I was watching a Tyrone Swoopes recruiting film.

Led me to a maxpreps/wikipedia rabbithole. They actually have a win this year over something called Houston Northside, which used to be Houston Davis, which is where Carl Crawford graduated from. 

Apparently there was some inner city little league in Houston that had Carl Crawford, Michael Bourn, Jason Bourgeois, and Chris Young all playing at the same time. Which is nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Alphabets by a comfortable margin. Vela has a great RB in Jamal Polley but it turns out their QB I thought was going to be a star remembered that he sucks. They have no passing threat and that’s not enough to beat the raiders.

Come on Helobious! You have to have faith in your picks!

Hook’em!!!

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

In their continuing efforts to bring you the shittiest game in the Houston area each Thursday, AT&T Sportsnet (or whatever it's called) is airing Bridgeland-Langham Creek tonight instead of something worth watching like Pearland-Shadow Creek.

Pearland-Shadow Creek was on my local nbc in Houston tonight…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The Colony 27 Denton Ryan 20  I watched most of this, and the better team won.  I think Ryan misses Anthony Hill.  

That is kind of shocking. The Colony hung with Burleson Centennial for three quarters last week but fell apart in the 4th. I fully expected Ryan or Centennial to be the teams to give Aledo a run for their money. I guess I still do but wasn’t expecting The Colony to enter the frey.

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

In their continuing efforts to bring you the shittiest game in the Houston area each Thursday, AT&T Sportsnet (or whatever it's called) is airing Bridgeland-Langham Creek tonight instead of something worth watching like Pearland-Shadow Creek.

yeah, sorry I missed this, but in Houston starting this year, best app is now "BGC Big Game Coverage" from KRPC2. They stream a bunch of games each week via the app, including this one.   First game I watched in week 1 that they showed Westlake vs Ridge Point the feed was terrible. Last could of weeks it's been great.

13 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Hill didn’t play for them about half of last season. 

I was mainly joking.  What Ryan really missed was a competent QB.  They've got a junior who's big and athletic, but he kinda sucks at playing QB.  He apparently played defense last year for a FW private school, then moved to Oklahoma in the spring, and then moved to Denton in August.  I also found this extremely damning information about him:

image.png.64489456223ea7712e57531d04fbc6b6.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I was mainly joking.  What Ryan really missed was a competent QB.  They've got a junior who's big and athletic, but he kinda sucks at playing QB.  He apparently played defense last year for a FW private school, then moved to Oklahoma in the spring, and then moved to Denton in August.  I also found this extremely damning information about him:

He seems to learn quickly.
Look as like three schools in 2 years already. 

To all the parents going to support their players, support staff, coaches wives, administrators, band parents, and drill/cheer kids parents, enjoy this evening, as nothing is better than a TXHS Friday Night! So much time spent during the off and on-season, getting the kiddos there and supporting them - I salute you!

The key to the whole thing is putting your butts in the bleachers at game time and letting your kids know that you are there! It truly means more when they know that you are there..

I’ve officiated games over the years, where I’d rather officiate a 3 or 4A game, because of the atmosphere. I’ve done many 6A games where if you count the players, band, cheer and spirit teams, and look into the stands and realize that not every child participating this evening has a parent in the stands.

Old man rant out!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 4

On 9/21/2023 at 5:35 PM, Helobious said:

Is this streaming anywhere?   It's not on NFHS...

Ty Johnson is the fastest guy on the field tonight for either Lampasas or Wimberley. He got all 87 yards on that TD by running right past 6 guys. Wimberley should still win comfortably, but hard to believe that Johnson is a freshman. Jett Walker dropped what would have been a wide open TD after the first Wimberley TO. If Wimberley would hold onto the ball they’d already have 21.

Edited by UpperWestside

Wimberley 14-7 at the half. Lampasas has made some miscues you see from young teams. Wimberley probably takes full control getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Great size for Wimberley, but not the most fleet-footed group. That shouldn’t hinder them getting out of Region IV. Rolling Stover out often works pretty well against the kinds of teams I would imagine they will see before the semis. You can just tell him to eat it and bowl over guys because of his size.

30 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

@TreatyOak How are the Westlake MILFs looking?

Not at the game. There is a pestilence upon Lake Travis. Plus, the parking sucks, and you often end up parked on the side of HWY 620 as drunken Lake Travis cougars speed past you as they head to their usual pickup sites.   

• Rage+1 1

Oh my son has met their QB through a mutual friend. Says he is nice enough as a dude. Sounds like kid doesn’t even live in Denton (I mean honestly UIL….private to Moore, OK to Denton all in three years doesn’t raise any red flags?) but such is the way these days in HS football.

I also work with spouse of a Ryan coach so I get plenty of feedback. There was not great feelings about their offense this year. I left it alone at work today.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Westlake up 10-7 on lake travis

weslake qb’s couldn’t hit the ocean from a row boat. Averaging around 6 yards a carry, not sure why they are throwing. 
LT has hit one deep pass but very little else

I hear the Weiss QB era has officially begun. Has Paxton Land been benched?  

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yep. Weiss era has begun. 
52 yard FG to start the 4q

20-7, 11:55 to go in 4q

Good. I feel bad for Paxton Land and his dad, but a Westlake QB should never get benched after the first possession in the state quarterfinals, which happened last season.

Good for the Westlake coaches. It really is a meritocracy. The Weiss kid looks like the real deal in the limited time I have seen him play

We should connect at the next home game. I have season sideline pass, haha.