Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think what I gather from videos I seen is basically AAU is essentially not teaching fundamentals and it's pretty much just a pickup game out there. While in other countries it's more fundamental based and etc.

I think you're seeing this at the NBA level with the international takeover of the game. International All-Star team would essentially shit on American All-Star team in the NBA. 

It's not just that. AAU is destroying kids bodies playing 6 games in a weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The AAU stuff is overblown. There are shitty AAU coaches and teams that play the wrong way and there are AAU teams that will run you off the court if you don't show up locked in. Almost every high school team worth a shit (in school play) is going to play disciplined on both sides of the ball and look for good shots. 

There are more and more international players and international superstars simply as a function of the game being more popular. The best international players aren't the best because they play the "right way". Around 75% of the league's players still come from a country sporting about 3% of the world's population. 

Jokic - passing savant. BBIQ on both ends off the charts. Huge frame and strong as shit and does everything on and off the court the right way. There is no "coaching" guys like that. And he was a late 2nd round pick and really honed his game in the states - not playing in Europe. Just won a title with a bunch of great American players around him.

Giannis - athletic freak that can't shoot for shit. Fairly fundamentally sound player but mainly relies on raw talent, feel for the game and athletic ability.

Luka - plays like a shitty AAU coach's wet dream. Minimal effort on D. Shows up out of shape every season. Slows the game down and runs iso plays and ball screens to death. Another guy that is just straight up ridiculously talented. Amazing player but not because he "plays the game the right way".

Embiid - total US product. Didn't start playing the game until 15 - was in the states by 16.

Then you have guys like Sabonis who is a classic Euro prototype player that got exposed in the playoffs by American defenders playing under an American coach. 

The Miami Heat team that just made the Finals as an 8 seed didn't have an ounce of Euro on it. All Americans being coached by an American. 

International players are getting more and more representation because more and more internationals are picking up a basketball at an early age, and on top of that they do coach and develop well and in a lot of instances play the right way. That doesn't mean that Americans aren't also being developed and coached in the right ways - and at the end of the day we still completely dominate the NBA landscape. The American share of the league will continue to decline as a basic function of world population.

We still won the last Olympics despite throwing together an awful roster last minute and asking the best American player to drag them to the medal. We can't keep relying on that - but the talent gap is still massive. 

AAU does have some serious issues, but, to add to your point, players are showing up in the league with more developed skill sets and better defensive awareness than players ~15 years ago. Now that's not all attributable to AAU, but I think the crying about AAU's effects on American player development is overblown (the injury concerns are real). 

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

It's not just that. AAU is destroying kids bodies playing 6 games in a weekend. 

This is by far the most legit criticism of AAU.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Luka - plays like a shitty AAU coach's wet dream. Minimal effort on D. Shows up out of shape every season. Slows the game down and runs iso plays and ball screens to death. Another guy that is just straight up ridiculously talented. Amazing player but not because he "plays the game the right way".

I’m a Mavs fan, so I love Luka, but he plays like James Harden. Almost no one would argue Harden plays the game “the right way” and yet Luka is somehow the face of European “fundamental greatness” taking over.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is by far the most legit criticism of AAU.

I’m a Mavs fan, so I love Luka, but he plays like James Harden. Almost no one would argue Harden plays the game “the right way” and yet Luka is somehow the face of European “fundamental greatness” taking over.

Right. That's my point. Every team in the league would still kill to have Luka. 

He's a generational talent from a different part of the world. He isn't some replicable product of a European system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:27 AM, ztejas said:

The AAU stuff is overblown. There are shitty AAU coaches and teams that play the wrong way and there are AAU teams that will run you off the court if you don't show up locked in. Almost every high school team worth a shit (in school play) is going to play disciplined on both sides of the ball and look for good shots. 

There are more and more international players and international superstars simply as a function of the game being more popular. The best international players aren't the best because they play the "right way". Around 75% of the league's players still come from a country sporting about 3% of the world's population. 

Jokic - passing savant. BBIQ on both ends off the charts. Huge frame and strong as shit and does everything on and off the court the right way. There is no "coaching" guys like that. And he was a late 2nd round pick and really honed his game in the states - not playing in Europe. Just won a title with a bunch of great American players around him.

Giannis - athletic freak that can't shoot for shit. Fairly fundamentally sound player but mainly relies on raw talent, feel for the game and athletic ability.

Embiid - total US product. Didn't start playing the game until 15 - was in the states by 16.

Then you have guys like Sabonis who is a classic Euro prototype player that got exposed in the playoffs by American defenders playing under an American coach. 

The Miami Heat team that just made the Finals as an 8 seed didn't have an ounce of Euro on it. All Americans being coached by an American. 

International players are getting more and more representation because more and more internationals are picking up a basketball at an early age, and on top of that they do coach and develop well and in a lot of instances play the right way. That doesn't mean that Americans aren't also being developed and coached in the right ways - and at the end of the day we still completely dominate the NBA landscape. The American share of the league will continue to decline as a basic function of world population.

We still won the last Olympics despite throwing together an awful roster last minute and asking the best American player to drag them to the medal. We can't keep relying on that - but the talent gap is still massive. 

Totally agree. The best high school teams today move the ball around much more than we did when I was in high school back in the early to mid 90s. The 3pt shot changed the way to the game is played today on that level. There's a lot less pound the ball dribbling and a lot more ball and player movement by the better high school teams. This viewpoint reminds me of people who still claim they don't watch NBA because there's too much isolation, which is a totally anachronistic observation to make about today's NBA. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Aau has 98% dog shit daddy wannabe coaches that roll the ball out and they just play space and shoot basketball, but college coaches don’t give a flying fuck where they play “school ball”, what matters is where you play spring and summer ball because that’s the only time they get to see you live and in person, during school ball they’re all working and even if you’re playing in your state title game they’ll see a better competition game in the summer when you’re matched up against the top 100 every weekend versus not playing against any top 100 in school ball depending on where you go to school.

Football is probably the only sport where it matters where you go to school and what level you play. Basketball and baseball has high level select leagues that matter more. So while I agree with you that aau really does create more issues because they get horrific coaching and they don’t have much practice time to implement a good offensive and defensive plan on the other hand it matters way more than school ball and it’s not even close. 

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Aau has 98% dog shit daddy wannabe coaches that roll the ball out and they just play space and shoot basketball, but college coaches don’t give a flying fuck where they play “school ball”, what matters is where you play spring and summer ball because that’s the only time they get to see you live and in person, during school ball they’re all working and even if you’re playing in your state title game they’ll see a better competition game in the summer when you’re matched up against the top 100 every weekend versus not playing against any top 100 in school ball depending on where you go to school.

Football is probably the only sport where it matters where you go to school and what level you play. Basketball and baseball has high level select leagues that matter more. So while I agree with you that aau really does create more issues because they get horrific coaching and they don’t have much practice time to implement a good offensive and defensive plan on the other hand it matters way more than school ball and it’s not even close. 

Holy shit, that was one impressive run-on sentence. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

No kidding. I'm more out of breath than the players are. 

The AAU players would be more out of breath if they were boxing out and getting back on defense instead of showboating up and down the floor.

Bronny James suffers cardiac arrest, collapses on USC court: LeBron James' son now in stable condition
Bronny James is out of ICU after the Monday incident

Bronny James, the eldest son of Lakers superstar LeBron James, was hospitalized Monday after going into cardiac arrest and collapsing during a basketball practice, a family spokesperson said Tuesday. Bronny, 18, was placed into ICU but is now in stable condition.

"Yesterday while practicing, Bronny James suffered a cardiac arrest," the spokesperson said in a statement. "Medical staff was able to treat Bronny and take him to the hospital. He is now in stable condition and no longer in ICU. We ask for respect and privacy for the James family, and we will update media when there is more information. LeBron and Savannah wish to publicly send their deepest thanks and appreciation to the USC medical and athletic staff for their incredible work and dedication to the safety of their athletes."

James, a four-star recruit and one of the staple pieces of USC's top-five incoming recruiting class, signed with the Trojans this offseason. He is the No. 27 overall player in the Class of 2023 and the second-highest ranked signee in USC's four-person recruiting class that ranks No. 4 nationally at 247Sports.

The 6-foot-3 combo guard had a stellar high school career at Sierra Canyon and projects as a potential lottery pick in the 2024 NBA Draft. 

Just terrible. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bronny-james-suffers-cardiac-arrest-collapses-on-usc-court-lebron-james-son-now-in-stable-condition/

Edited by Hornlover
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 12:05 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Bama vs Texas according to Gerry

Gerry said today Texas is the team to beat. Scott gave Texas a commitment last November and was about to go public right before Chris Beard decided to become a moron so it never happened.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 8:52 AM, HtownHorn said:

He's going pro. Not even worth the time recruiting him.

It's going to be interesting what happens with Link Academy (where Tre Johnson is playing next year). 

It's becoming a school where the top recruits go and it's already known for a lot of shady stuff. To give you perspective, they just hired Bill Armstrong who was right in the middle of all the LSU cheating scandal with Will Wade. 

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I don’t understand the move to these “schools”. He’s already a top prospect so he doesn’t need the exposure, just an odd move.

Because look at who the school hired as their head coach and other people involved with the program. He essentially has agents working for him already. 

On 7/22/2023 at 2:10 PM, Teryor said:

Napa (Calif.) Prolific Prep five-star center Aiden Sherrell tells On3 he will no longer announce his college decision this weekend. He was originally scheduled to commit on Sunday, August 13th but has now decided to postpone.

“After careful consideration, my family and I have decided to postpone my commitment,” he said to On3. “I want to take more time to ensure I’m making the right decision for my future. My family and I will continue to consider the 5 schools, and I’m certain I will arrive at the right decision for my career in the near future.”

The 6-foot-11, 220-pound Detroit native is considering five programs — Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, and Michigan State. He has visited each of his finalists, besides Texas.

Sherrell ranks as the No. 31 overall prospect in the 2024 class, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He’s also the No. 4 center in the class. On3’s evaluators are much higher on him, ranking him 13th nationally in the class and No. 3 in his position.

https://www.on3.com/news/five-star-c-aiden-sherrell-postpones-commitment-date-remains-down-to-5-schools/

• Hook 'Em 1

South on Sherrell. I wouldn't be too hyped for him based on the bolded.

Four-star big man Aiden Sherrell postponed an Aug. 13 commitment date, instead opting to continue evaluating his Top 5 that includes Texas, Alabama, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Oklahoma.

The Longhorns have been making a hard push of late to land the Georgia native that’s finishing his high school career at Prolific Prep in California.

“I’m hearing a lot from them,” Sherrell told Horns247 of Texas’ efforts. “They’ve been very consistent.”

It’s UT assistant Brandon Chappell that’s leading the charge for the Longhorns.

“I can come in and be a big piece for them, for sure,” he said of the staff’s message. “They have guys similar to me, like Kevin Durant. They say I can be just like them.”

Sherrell has never visited Austin and he tells Horns247 he actually doesn’t plan to at this point. But it’s not because he wouldn’t like to, he just doesn’t feel it’s necessary.

“Just like I feel like I don’t really need to visit them,” he said. “They let me know everything. I believe they can do everything they’re saying they can do.

“It’s a great program, for sure. They develop their guys. Just great coaching, definitely. And I love their play style.”

With a decision date postponed, Sherrell has no definitive timeline of when he wants to announce.

“I would say they’re all equal,” Sherrell said of who he’s hearing from the most.

At 6-foot-10, 215 pounds, Sherrell is ranked the No. 6 center and the No. 36 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Cross-posting.

(Reset of the current bb recruiting board, plus a couple of notes from South and Howe.)

Texas basketball continues busy month on recruiting trail

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Texas basketball continues busy month on recruiting trail

Hank South (Horns 247)

Texas basketball recruiting has been active over the last month. The Longhorns staff landed five-star combo guard Cam Scott in August and have started welcoming official visitors on campus the last two weekends, with more to come.

Here’s a look at the main prospects of note at the moment.

Tre Johnson, 5-star SG, Brandon (Mo.) Link Academy (originally from Lake Highlands)

Johnson officially visited Austin for the second time the weekend before last, spending quality time with Rodney Terry, the coaching staff, Dillon Mitchell and even some of the football team. The Longhorns are part of Johnson’s top six, the 247Sports Crystal Ball currently trending towards Baylor. He has more official visits upcoming to Alabama and Waco.

Curtis Givens III, 4-star PG, Monteverde (Fla.) Monteverde Academy

One of Texas’ two official visitors this past weekend, Givens is considering a handful of programs like the Longhorns, Georgia Tech, Indiana, and LSU, among others. Sources tell Horns247 the visit was a success and there’s positive vibes in regards to UT’s chances at the moment. This weekend Givens will be in Bloomington where the Hoosiers will try to work their magic.

Josiah Moseley, 3-star PF, Round Rock (Texas) Stony Point

Joining Givens this past weekend on the Forty Acres was Moseley, and just like his fellow official visitor, there’s optimism that Texas is trending in the right direction here with a strong showing throughout the local standout’s stay. Texas has proximity and familiarity in its favor, up against Georgia Tech, Illinois, Villanova, and USC.

Asa Newell, 5-star PF, Monteverde (Fla.) Monteverde Academy

The football star power will be in Tuscaloosa this weekend, but the basketball star power will be home, as the five-star forward makes his highly anticipated official visit to Austin. Texas is taking on Auburn, Georgia, Gonzaga, and Indiana, among others for the 6-foot-9, 205-pounder.

Liam McNeeley, 5-star SF, Monteverde (Fla.) Monteverde Academy

Monteverde Mania as another top target resides at the Florida powerhouse. McNeeley will return to Austin for a second official visit later this month, with programs like Indiana and Kansas presenting the chief competition.

Robert Miller, 4-star PF, Pasadena (Texas) Pasadena Memorial

The in-state forward will officially visit Texas at the end of September. He’s considering Alabama, LSU, Colorado and the Longhorns. A decision is likely to come after the OV slate, with the Longhorns getting the last crack at it.

Nicolas Codie, 4-star PF, Carrollton (Texas) Newman Smith

Codie trimmed his list to seven in late July, with the Longhorns making the cut. "They made it known that I am their priority,” he told 247Sports’ Brandon Jenkins. “Coach Rodney Terry always sends me texts. We are always texting back and forth. We have a really good relationship. They went pretty far last year. It is a really good program and they send people to the draft. Dillon Mitchell will probably go to the draft next year and they will need someone to fill his role. I feel I would be a good fit for them because I fit their scheme. It is a big thing to have an offer from there and who would not want to go there?” Codie is expected on campus in Austin for the Wyoming game weekend on an official visit. Others in play include TCU, Virginia Tech, LSU, Houston, Miami, and Auburn.

Aiden Sherrell, 4-star C, Napa (Calif.) Prolific Prep

Sherrell pushed back his commitment date last month with Texas becoming more involved. Alabama was considered the favorite prior to the delay. He doesn’t plan to visit Austin this fall, at least not at the moment. He says he feels he knows everything he needs to know about Texas via his communication with the staff. No new commitment timetable is known.

Cooper Flagg, 5-star PF, Monteverde (Fla.) Monteverde Academy

The No. 1 player in the country recently reclassified to 2024. As things look now, it doesn’t appear Flagg will end up in Austin when all is said and done, but the Longhorns have been and will continue to recruit him. Duke is trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

image.thumb.png.5ccebb6da6e3abdcdc33d91fd8d9e410.png

image.thumb.png.9ddbb82a2b015e74e50952624a7a5f9d.png

• Hook 'Em 2