Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

28 minutes ago, beer said:

So something changed (I've got MLBTV) cause I saw all those breaks all year. Not that I really give a shit. 

I was watching the Blue Jays broadcast earlier on MLBtv and every time they said they were cutting to the studio for an update it just went to commercial.  I don't think it was like that earlier in the year.

So I believe 1 win clinches a WC spot. 

Also - looks like ARI is still staving off a couple teams for the last NL WC. The Cubs and MIA winning games will help keep ARI invested in that HOU series. As would ARI fucking around and losing to the white Sox tonight. 

Edited by ztejas

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38490804/mlb-2023-power-rankings-week-26-playoffs-braves-orioles-rays

tex.png&h=60&w=60

5. Texas Rangers

Record: 89-69

Previous ranking: 9

The Rangers reasserted themselves again in the AL West with a dominant weekend performance against division rival Seattle. They outpitched and outhit the Mariners, nearly locking up the division in the process. Sometimes your stars simply have to be your stars, and both Corey Seager and Marcus Semien brought their lumber in Sunday's 9-8 win. Semien hit his 26th and 27th home runs while Seager went deep for the 33rd time. He produced hits in all six Rangers wins last week after going 0-for-12 in his previous three games. In any other year, Seager would be the clear AL MVP winner considering his OPS is over 1.000, but with Shohei Ohtani around, he'll have to settle for second or perhaps third place. -- Rogers

in any other year, seager would clearly be #1.  but because of shohei, he's third.  thanks espn.

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38490804/mlb-2023-power-rankings-week-26-playoffs-braves-orioles-rays

in any other year, seager would clearly be #1.  but because of shohei, he's third.  thanks espn.

It's that debate of "most valuable" which I'd say using that metric it's Corey by a landslide.

But what Ohtani does has never been done before. And may not again for a while depending on his health. It's hard NOT to give him the award just because of the absurdity of both pitching and hitting at elite/near-elite levels.

28 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

It's that debate of "most valuable" which I'd say using that metric it's Corey by a landslide.

But what Ohtani does has never been done before. And may not again for a while depending on his health. It's hard NOT to give him the award just because of the absurdity of both pitching and hitting at elite/near-elite levels.

Babe Ruth?

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Quit on his team?  I've seen it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I don’t see how we haven’t already clinched at least a wildcard spot. There is no scenario of three way or two way ties in which we don’t come out ahead against the Mariners or Blue Jays…

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios

Scenario: Blue Jays claim 2nd Wild Card; Astros, Mariners, Rangers tie
Result: Mariners and Astros IN; Rangers OUT

If the three AL West clubs finish tied with worse records than the Blue Jays, Toronto would win the second AL Wild Card spot. The tie for the AL West title would be settled first using the same three-team tiebreaker steps mentioned above (Mariners win). The tie between Houston and Texas for the third AL Wild Card spot would go to the Astros, who won their season series against the Rangers, 9-4.

When there is a three-team tie, if one team wins the season series against both of the other clubs, that team gets the tiebreaker. However, that tiebreaker would not be in play if all three AL West clubs ended up tied. The Astros won their season series against the Rangers but lost to the Mariners. The Mariners won their season series against the Astros but lost to the Rangers. And the Rangers won their season series against the Mariners but lost to the Astros.

As a result, the tiebreaker would go to the team with the best combined winning percentage against the other two clubs. In this case, it would be the Mariners coming out on top and claiming the AL West title.

Just about to post that link myself.  A lot has to go wrong for Texas to not win the west, but if all of that does go wrong and tor also ends up at 89 wins, then Texas is eliminated by two 3-way tiebreaks involving overall record vs the other two teams. 

sucks that a Texas win now means a mariners loss, but nothing to be done about that. 

best case for me is Texas wins tonight, and Seattle and Arizona win on Friday, so the west is won. Then Texas can rest pitching and some position players, hopefully increasing sea’s chances of winning the last two to maybe eliminate Houston.  

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

As a lifelong Ranger fan, I have no doubt that this will happen.  PTSD aside, this is fun.  I was living in TN during the Ranger's run of success, so I didn't get the full impact of their success.

Grant on Max yesterday. 

Just 15 days after he was diagnosed with a strained muscle behind his right shoulder that was expected to end his season, Max Scherzer threw pitches off a mound Wednesday in what he called another “step forward” in his attempt to make himself a viable option for the Rangers at some point in a potential playoff run.

Which of course leads to the next question: Uh, what series might that be?

Wild Card? AL Division? ALCS? World Series?

Scherzer isn’t going there.

“If you think about the end game and start circling dates, you get emotional about getting ready,” he said. “You end up competing with the injury. And that’s the worst thing you can do. You don’t aim for anything specific. The body tells you what you can and can’t do. You show up every day and do your work.”

Scherzer didn’t give specifics about his bullpen session, saying only that intensity varied, thus making the number of pitches irrelevant. He did say that as he ramped up intensity over the outing, he became more aware of the muscle. He also went through a full post-throwing workout, as usual. He will see how he recovers on Thursday and the Rangers will take the next steps if he has no setbacks.

“The slope amplifies everything,” he said. “The big thing for me is to see how you recover. If something is taking on more stress than it should be because of [compensating for the shoulder muscle], it will show up the next day.”

Scherzer, acquired at the deadline from the New York Mets, left his start against Toronto on Sept. 12 after 5.1 scoreless innings. When an MRI showed a strain of the teres major muscle, GM Chris Young said it was “unlikely” Scherzer would pitch again in 2023, but didn’t rule out the possibility completely. The injury requires rest, not a surgical procedure, for recovery. Both José Leclerc and Corey Kluber suffered the injury for the Rangers in July 2020. Neither pitched again in that season. 

• Like 2