Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

The bullpen is the weakest link of the team we've always known that, but I think what we are seeing is what happens when the offense regresses back to the mean and can't wallpaper over the warts of the worst bullpen in the AL (though the Twins and Mets both seemed to have crappy bullpens too).

It feels like every offensive player not named Seager and Lowe is a crapshoot right now. I don't think they are playing with a lot of confidence lately.

I'll characterize it like this; every time we are in a close or tied game, I am afraid that the opposing team can take us yard any given pitch while at the same time have zero confidence we will do the same. We will take pitches and walk or get a seeing eye single and try to manufacture runs, but the extra base hits feel like a relic of the first half.

I started feeling this way acutely when the Brewers great pitching was mowing us down which is somewhat understandable, but even the crappy bullpens we can't hit now.

Edited by animaltobacco11
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, I may have been a little drunk and pissed off... Sorry about that.

And rightfully so. On both accounts. But our problem ain't Bochy or Maddux. 1-47 when trailing in the 8th inning or later is fucking insane. Now look at the offensive stats for everyone thru the middle June and compare that to their career averages. We have wildly overachieved up and down the lineup, and now we are seeing most of them regress back the mean.

Before the season started if you had told me we would spend a single day in first place after June 1st I would have laughed hysterically. We won 68 games last year and if we win 5 of the next 29 we will hit 80 in the win column for first time since 2016. Does that make losing any easier? Fuck no I hate it.

Also, fuck you. And Will Clark is still an asshole.
  • Hook 'Em 2

The strategy of getting walks and HBP to win games seems great, but would a bunt here or there be an option? I know Bochy hates small ball but when the offense is struggling, maybe change some shit up ... then again it feels like RISP average is sub .200 for the last 6 weeks.

So fuck it, let's get that Ricky Henderson strike zone and crowd the plate.