Best Sequel?

MoJames

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

If we're all honest, there's about a core group of 10 films that followed that were as good, possibly even better than their source original.  It's the same list over and over and over again.  You can debate where they belong on the Top 10 list, but it's about 10 films.  Every other attempt at reboots, prequels, sequels, et. al.  has been fucking garbage.  It's actually comforting.  we know that not every internet-inspired reboot is worth a shit.  Sometimes the original vision, and maybe one other version can stand the test of time.  We debate this every year and more or less, it's the same collective of films.  I like that. 

Agreed except now I think we have to add the following recent entries:

Top Gun: Maverick

Thor: Ragnarok

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Agreed except now I think we have to add the following recent entries:

Top Gun: Maverick

Thor: Ragnarok

Agreed on Maverick.  Have not seen, and never will that Thor deal, but I get it.  

Point is grown men have this discussion every year.  We basically add 2 or 3 sequels/prequels/reboots every decade to the list.  And that's being generous.  You can argue the order of 'em, but we all know intuitively...95% of 'em suck ass.  You can enjoy original/adapted trash.  That's fine, that's half of movies.  But we all know when we're watching something truly great supplanted on an otherwise beautifully, original work of art.  No longer a hot take to vote up or down ESB or GFIII...it's just a question of how much the other noise sucks.  

• 8 months later...

The answer is and forever will be The Godfather Part II.

While I enjoy The Godfather a little more than the sequel (Brando is a tour de force; it's really the first mob film set within that world, the events seen from their perspectives), I can still acknowledge that Part II is a magnum opus.   

And I don't agree that Godfather II is both a sequel and prequel.  It's a sequel with occasional flashbacks.

Mother-in-law thinks Grease 2 is the best sequel ever. For her birthday I paid $50 for a cameo to her from the Australian guy in the movie. Now everytime we visit she makes me a few dozen custom homemade tamales and the best hand made empanadas ever with the filling of my choice. 

• Hook 'Em 1